E-mails re Veterans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I came back from the bank today (honking loan payments want the $$ THERE when they grab!) I found these 2 e-mails, the third is a response to my woohoo!
Ms. Panek,

Thank you for your thoughtful gift to veterans on Veterans Day. My wife and I usually stay in pretty upscale hotels when we travel, but because of your kindness to my fellow veterans, we are going to start looking at B&B's. I hope many people do.

From an innkeeper to another:

Hi, Janet,
We seem to have caught a tiger by the tail, and wonder if anyone else would
like to grab on with us!
We heard about the Veteran's Day Free Night promo the West Virginia B&B
association started last year, and thought is sounded wonderful. We offer a
20% active military discount all the time, and so this fit right in with our
philosophy. So, Tom designed a promo banner (see our website, it looks
great: www.highmountainlodge.com), and we signed up. The free night is
Wednesday, November 10, and Veteran's Day is November 11. We'd probably be
empty then anyway, so why not?
So, this morning, a Navy commander in Colorado got wind of this, emailed
everyone, and we took reservations for five rooms this morning! Two of them
are going to stay two nights and pay the regular discounted rate for the
second night. Who knew there were so many Navy folks in Colorado? We have
two couples, two families, and a woman and her grandson coming so far, and
will take up to four more people before we close out reservations.
We're excited, and think this will be lots of fun. Our godson is in the Navy
(although he won't be able to join us and is "free" all the time, anyway),
and we think this is the least we can do.
Would anyone else in the BBIC like to join us?

Then they sent this: We have already seen the article. CBS News picked it up and Jay Karon passed it on on Twitter.
We sure hope some of the other Colorado BBIC members pick it up. We shut off reservations at 20 people, and could easily lodge twice that many so far.

We continue to be inundated. Got just one e-mail response from another BBIC (Bed & Breakfast Inns of Colorado) member. She wanted to make the free night conditional on them booking an additional night at her regular prices. Explained that it didn't work like that, that the free night had to be unconditional. Explained that several of our free night people had extended their stay voluntarily and were taking advantage of our blanket 20% military discount. Noted that another military family had seen our offer, couldn't take advantage of it, but booked a five-day stay at Christmas, while another one had booked eleven nights in February. She heard ka-ching! and decided to get with the program.
We have established a wait list in case people's plans change and we have openings. We have more rooms, but our limitation is our dining room. More than 20 people for breakfast, and we stop having fun.
We never expected any of this to happen. We figured we would do something nice to thank and honor military people that wouldn't set us back more than the rooms we had no hope of booking in the shoulder season, a few boxes of wine, a few cases of beer, and our usual spectacular (I'm bragging) breakfast.
Oh, and all the cleaning and laundry, but nobody pays attention to that....
We are so excited about this and can't wait to have the Lodge full for Veterans Day.
One of the most touching things have been the e-mails we've been receiving--both from people who will be staying with us and people we don't have room for. Their pride in their service humbles us. We are embarrassed that we can't do more.

We continue to be inundated. Got just one e-mail response from another BBIC (Bed & Breakfast Inns of Colorado) member. She wanted to make the free night conditional on them booking an additional night at her regular prices. Explained that it didn't work like that, that the free night had to be unconditional. Explained that several of our free night people had extended their stay voluntarily and were taking advantage of our blanket 20% military discount. Noted that another military family had seen our offer, couldn't take advantage of it, but booked a five-day stay at Christmas, while another one had booked eleven nights in February. She heard ka-ching! and decided to get with the program.
We have established a wait list in case people's plans change and we have openings. We have more rooms, but our limitation is our dining room. More than 20 people for breakfast, and we stop having fun.
We never expected any of this to happen. We figured we would do something nice to thank and honor military people that wouldn't set us back more than the rooms we had no hope of booking in the shoulder season, a few boxes of wine, a few cases of beer, and our usual spectacular (I'm bragging) breakfast.
Oh, and all the cleaning and laundry, but nobody pays attention to that....
We are so excited about this and can't wait to have the Lodge full for Veterans Day.
One of the most touching things have been the e-mails we've been receiving--both from people who will be staying with us and people we don't have room for. Their pride in their service humbles us. We are embarrassed that we can't do more..
HighMountainLodge said:
Got just one e-mail response from another BBIC (Bed & Breakfast Inns of Colorado) member. She wanted to make the free night conditional on them booking an additional night at her regular prices.
Goodness. I guess it's just hard for some people to switch from "this is a (struggling) business mode" to "do a good deed mode".
Oh well, it won't be for everybody, but it's a very good idea and a very good program. Vets win. B&B's win.

The count in now approaching 450 in 46 States an 2 Provinces! I am flabberghasted! between getting ready for a TV spot, and doing data enty, and giving knitting classes I actually forgot to eat today until after my second knitting class! it has been wonderful. And tonight I got so involved, I forgot to watch the TV News!

Kathleen, you have been instrumental in doing something very important and wonderful. Julie and I are grateful to be a part of it. Many thanks!
Tom

Kathleen, you have been instrumental in doing something very important and wonderful. Julie and I are grateful to be a part of it. Many thanks!
Tom.
The real heroes are (besides the Veterans) the innkeepers who obtained the domain name, created the web site, and are webmasters for it. It took the web site to #1 - get innkeepers to sign on and #2 give us a place for Veterans to find us. THEN it took our PR guy connecting us with the AP reporter. I will name names if given permission by the webmaster.
His wife is in the hospital with a BAD infection, but he is still working his iPod for us. He called me as he was driving to work this morning and then in the afternoon after I was on the statewide radio he had set up. And he knows I do not have much money to pay him with but he is busting his chops anyway.

Tom.
The real heroes are (besides the Veterans) the innkeepers who obtained the domain name, created the web site, and are webmasters for it. It took the web site to #1 - get innkeepers to sign on and #2 give us a place for Veterans to find us. THEN it took our PR guy connecting us with the AP reporter. I will name names if given permission by the webmaster.
His wife is in the hospital with a BAD infection, but he is still working his iPod for us. He called me as he was driving to work this morning and then in the afternoon after I was on the statewide radio he had set up. And he knows I do not have much money to pay him with but he is busting his chops anyway.
I heard from the web guy that he isn't really looking to have his name up in lights for this. He prefers that the emails and phone calls are going to you.

Tom.
I heard from the web guy that he isn't really looking to have his name up in lights for this. He prefers that the emails and phone calls are going to you.
Oy vey! are they ever! Just so everyone knows, a DD214 is separation papers from the military. You would not believe the angry people because we are asking for military or V A ID. I don't have that - well I am sorry!
However, there are more nice e-mails than nasty. I am playing hookey for a couple minutes. I had to try to flip a room - took 3 times as long because of phone calls!
I am so glad I have saved every damned e-mail asking to participate in a Veterans folder. (It seems my inbox and sent files are the ones that get disapeared on this computer) because 3 inns have had a problem remembering they asked to participate. I just forwarded their e-mails back to them saying no problem if you want removed. So far only one had to be removed - but it was because of unforseen problems that will require them to be closed.
I guess I had best get more ready to send to the poor webmaster. LOTS to come. I do wish they would learn the difference between web address and e-mail address though! And people are not understanding Click here for participating properties - they are looking for Find a B & B here....
Oh, if Seashanty, I do have something you could do to help me. Could you contact our Maine entries and tell them a Bangor, Maine radio morning show (a man & a woman hosts) called this morning while I was doing breakfast so I do not remember call letters about the free rooms. I gave them the web address and while he was talking she brought up the site.and they read the name and city of each B & B on the list this morning! They got free mention on Bangor radio.
Now back to my data entry dungeon!

Tom.
Oy vey! are they ever! Just so everyone knows, a DD214 is separation papers from the military. You would not believe the angry people because we are asking for military or V A ID. I don't have that - well I am sorry!
However, there are more nice e-mails than nasty. I am playing hookey for a couple minutes. I had to try to flip a room - took 3 times as long because of phone calls!
I am so glad I have saved every damned e-mail asking to participate in a Veterans folder. (It seems my inbox and sent files are the ones that get disapeared on this computer) because 3 inns have had a problem remembering they asked to participate. I just forwarded their e-mails back to them saying no problem if you want removed. So far only one had to be removed - but it was because of unforseen problems that will require them to be closed.
I guess I had best get more ready to send to the poor webmaster. LOTS to come. I do wish they would learn the difference between web address and e-mail address though! And people are not understanding Click here for participating properties - they are looking for Find a B & B here....
Oh, if Seashanty, I do have something you could do to help me. Could you contact our Maine entries and tell them a Bangor, Maine radio morning show (a man & a woman hosts) called this morning while I was doing breakfast so I do not remember call letters about the free rooms. I gave them the web address and while he was talking she brought up the site.and they read the name and city of each B & B on the list this morning! They got free mention on Bangor radio.
Now back to my data entry dungeon!
They have a nerve to be angry. Anyone who has served will have some kind of ID. I still have our PX and Commissary cards when we were with the embassy hundreds of years ago!!!!! Those getting angry are not true VETS, i'm sure.
Riki

Well guys something hit the air waves in this region today, my phone and email went crazy and I filled the 3 rooms I set aside within an hour. Here is one response to my confirmation email:
Thank you for doing this awesome thing, it brings joy to my heart that people do still appreciate the services and the people who love, defend, and protect our country. Looking forward to meeting you November 10th around 3pm. Again Thank you.

Tom.
I think he's working his iPhone for you. ;-) If he was working his iPod, he'd be listening to a lot of great music. :)

Back