Early Arrival

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the 'what was she thinking' and 'how dumb can one person be' and all the rest.
But I think what you did was great. You are a caring person who had compassion on another human being. Business policies, rules, 'I need time to myself', check-in time is x:00 aside, you did a good thing.
I can't imagine that you would have been able to look at yourself in the mirror if you had shoved her off once you recognized the need presented.
Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost..
Penelope said:
I get the 'what was she thinking' and 'how dumb can one person be' and all the rest.
But I think what you did was great. You are a caring person who had compassion on another human being. Business policies, rules, 'I need time to myself', check-in time is x:00 aside, you did a good thing.
I can't imagine that you would have been able to look at yourself in the mirror if you had shoved her off once you recognized the need presented.
Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost.
Thanks Penelope. The thing about making your own rules is that you get to break them.
Breakfast Diva said:
Penelope said:
Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost.
Thanks Penelope. The thing about making your own rules is that you get to break them.
Glad you were able to do what you did. I had a 'red eye' show up at 8ish one morning and I did not accommodate them. I was run thru the ringer on a different forum for not being 'hospitable'. Given a list of things I should have done including feed them and offer them a bathroom. Yeesh.
He blogged about us making him (just him, BTW, his wife was baggage) sleep in his car. This was not a matter of him happening to arrive at that time, he PLANNED to arrive and check-in before the previous night's guests had even eaten.
Golly, sorry, that one still irks me.

Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost..
Penelope said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Penelope said:
Glad you were able to do what you did. I had a 'red eye' show up at 8ish one morning and I did not accommodate them. I was run thru the ringer on a different forum for not being 'hospitable'. Given a list of things I should have done including feed them and offer them a bathroom. Yeesh.
He blogged about us making him (just him, BTW, his wife was baggage) sleep in his car. This was not a matter of him happening to arrive at that time, he PLANNED to arrive and check-in before the previous night's guests had even eaten.
Golly, sorry, that one still irks me.
What a jerk! I would have sent him away also.
That's like the guy who wanted to check in at 2:00am and didn't want to pay for that night. Nope, it doesn't work that way!

Penelope said:
Each individual makes the call on each individual situation. We have our policies in place, but can break them at our leisure. Especially if it makes our guests super happy. If they arrived and were horrible, then the policies would have stuck "Check in time is at 3pm"
thumbs_up.gif

It lovely that Diva took them in and I'm sure I would have done the same in the circumstance, however I can also understand people who wouldn't have taken her in, after all this was a "planned" trip. It's been said many times before, but .............
"Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...."

Penelope said:
Each individual makes the call on each individual situation. We have our policies in place, but can break them at our leisure. Especially if it makes our guests super happy. If they arrived and were horrible, then the policies would have stuck "Check in time is at 3pm"
thumbs_up.gif

It lovely that Diva took them in and I'm sure I would have done the same in the circumstance, however I can also understand people who wouldn't have taken her in, after all this was a "planned" trip. It's been said many times before, but .............
"Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...."
I should have that put on a bumper sticker

Yesterday. 3 rooms. They arrived at 10 AM. We were cleaning and didn't hear the doorbell and then we put the sign out showing what time check in is. Saw the car in the parking lot.
They PLANNED to arrive at 10 and then sleep here until the afternoon. I checked their drive time and it was 8 hours tops. They left their house at midnight.
How can this possibly be my fault that we didn't let them in before our other guests had even finished breakfast when they PLANNED this?
When the rest of their party arrived, all rested because they didn't leave home until 6 AM, the first crowd said they were too tired to go out, they had planned to sleep all afternoon...

Yesterday. 3 rooms. They arrived at 10 AM. We were cleaning and didn't hear the doorbell and then we put the sign out showing what time check in is. Saw the car in the parking lot.
They PLANNED to arrive at 10 and then sleep here until the afternoon. I checked their drive time and it was 8 hours tops. They left their house at midnight.
How can this possibly be my fault that we didn't let them in before our other guests had even finished breakfast when they PLANNED this?
When the rest of their party arrived, all rested because they didn't leave home until 6 AM, the first crowd said they were too tired to go out, they had planned to sleep all afternoon....
That's very inconsiderate of you not letting them check in just because the previous guests hadn't vacated the rooms. Surely you could have tossed their stuff out onto the parking lot and then waved your magic room cleaning wand.

When the rest of their party arrived, all rested because they didn't leave home until 6 AM, the first crowd said they were too tired to go out, they had planned to sleep all afternoon....
Madeleine said:
When the rest of their party arrived, all rested because they didn't leave home until 6 AM, the first crowd said they were too tired to go out, they had planned to sleep all afternoon...
"Lack of CORRECT PLANNING on your part does not constitute an emergency on MY part"
Another T-shirt & sign

That's very inconsiderate of you not letting them check in just because the previous guests hadn't vacated the rooms. Surely you could have tossed their stuff out onto the parking lot and then waved your magic room cleaning wand.
Highlands John said:
...and then waved your magic room cleaning wand.
I need one of those!

Not only were they inconsiderate of you, but they were inconsiderate of their own friends! I just don't understand how people like this survive.

Back