Early Arrival

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
This is a first for us. Car pulls up at 9:15am. I don't even wait for them to come to the front door. I go to the parking lot and ask if I can help them. It's a mother and 14 year old daughter who are staying here tonight and tomorrow! I told her check-in isn't until 3:00 and am ready to send them on their way with info on the area. I spoke with her a few more minutes and found out she had been driving since 11:00am yesterday morning! Her eyes were all glassy and at this point I knew I had to help her. Fortunately, no one in her room last night, so I tell her to wait a few minutes and we put the final touches on the room and let them check in. I just looked on google maps how far they've driven and it's 1,070 miles and the daughter doesn't drive yet, so the mother did it all!!! They only stopped for about an hour during the whole drive. CRAZY!
I told her she took the prize for the earliest check-in over our 13 years.
They're here for the 2 nights and then are turning around and driving back. All because the 14 year old daughter's b-friend is in a jet ski tournament down our road. Now that's one dedicated mother.

cry_smile.gif

To say the exact opposite. With a similar disbelief...
Our guests checked in and he was all freaked out there was no lodging in a nearby small town. He had to use our phone and we assisted to find a B&B room for them. Telling them - the event they are going to is only 50 minutes drive from here... so they COULD stay here two nights, instead of one.
He HAD to be close to this venue, he said. So the inn they got is 25 minutes from us. They were eager to leave quickly after breakfast to make sure they got there in time for the 4pm checkin.
The inn is 25 minutes from us. TWO FIVE - about 18 miles.
They are now 25 minutes FROM said venue, as well. So they inched closer...

cry_smile.gif

Our guests checked in and he was all freaked out there was no lodging in a nearby small town. He had to use our phone and we assisted to find a B&B room for them. Telling them - the event they are going to is only 50 minutes drive from here... so they COULD stay here two nights, instead of one.
He HAD to be close to this venue, he said. So the inn they got is 25 minutes from us. They were eager to leave quickly after breakfast to make sure they got there in time for the 4pm checkin.
They are now 25 minutes FROM said venue, as well. So they inched closer....
I dread the guests who tell me their whole itinerary and I find out the place they are staying just before us is 45 minutes away. Why do this? Why not visit either town as a day trip?
Anyway, back to leaving early in the morning for a 25 minute drive to get somewhere at 4 PM. Imagine living with the person who has to do that. That has to be hell on wheels.
And driving 2000 miles for a teenager's bf's sporting event that he could be out of in 2 minutes? Sorry, that is just stupid. I guess I hated my kids.

BD I have had the same happen here. At least there were 3 drivers in the group. They got here as I was serving breakfast and she was peeking through the window as people were eating, before she rang the bell. But she had realized by then that we were not sitting here waiting for them, we had other guests... I do not understand the thinking of these people.
As far as the 50 min drive... I don't get that either JB, but many feel they have to stay right at the event.. while others see the 50 min drive as part of the adventure. Mind boggling.

BD I have had the same happen here. At least there were 3 drivers in the group. They got here as I was serving breakfast and she was peeking through the window as people were eating, before she rang the bell. But she had realized by then that we were not sitting here waiting for them, we had other guests... I do not understand the thinking of these people.
As far as the 50 min drive... I don't get that either JB, but many feel they have to stay right at the event.. while others see the 50 min drive as part of the adventure. Mind boggling..
copperhead said:
As far as the 50 min drive... I don't get that either JB, but many feel they have to stay right at the event.. while others see the 50 min drive as part of the adventure. Mind boggling.
I'm pretty hard nosed about this kind of thing which is why I cut them off at the pass (parking lot). It boggles the mind how they think!

cry_smile.gif

JB, your man and my woman should get married. They'd never go anywhere! LOL

Saintly move and one that I am sure she appreciated. Awesome!!.
bikerboy42 said:
Saintly move and one that I am sure she appreciated. Awesome!!
Ha! Thanks Bikerboy! I know who you are, but since you're new to this forum, why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself a little to all of us. You're going to get lots of great info here.

cry_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
They'd never see each other, that is for sure!

cry_smile.gif

I dread the guests who tell me their whole itinerary and I find out the place they are staying just before us is 45 minutes away. Why do this? Why not visit either town as a day trip?
Anyway, back to leaving early in the morning for a 25 minute drive to get somewhere at 4 PM. Imagine living with the person who has to do that. That has to be hell on wheels.
And driving 2000 miles for a teenager's bf's sporting event that he could be out of in 2 minutes? Sorry, that is just stupid. I guess I hated my kids.
Madeleine said:
The two earliest "attempted" check-ins I've ever had did this. They stayed the night before in the city, 10 miles away, got up, had their breakfast, checked out and then drove here expecting to check in.

We just had return guests arrive. I told DW "Just watch, they'll arrive early because guests who have been here before somehow think they're entitled."
Sure enough, the arrived early. "We were so excited we couldn't wait to get here!"
Sorry, I call bull sh_t.

bikerboy42 said:
Welcome BikerBoy, I think I recall your userid on T.A.
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
bikerboy42 said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey (JB) is our local Sherlock Holms! She figures everybody out.
shades_smile.gif

bikerboy42 said:
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
bikerboy42 said:
thumbs_up.gif
Joey (JB) is our local Sherlock Holms! She figures everybody out.
shades_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
The two earliest "attempted" check-ins I've ever had did this. They stayed the night before in the city, 10 miles away, got up, had their breakfast, checked out and then drove here expecting to check in.
What are these people thinking? They can't do this at a hotel, why do they think a B & B is any different??? Is it because it is our home and we are here anyway??? Sure you can check in..clean the room yourself then .....GRRRR.

I get the 'what was she thinking' and 'how dumb can one person be' and all the rest.
But I think what you did was great. You are a caring person who had compassion on another human being. Business policies, rules, 'I need time to myself', check-in time is x:00 aside, you did a good thing.
I can't imagine that you would have been able to look at yourself in the mirror if you had shoved her off once you recognized the need presented.
Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost.

I get the 'what was she thinking' and 'how dumb can one person be' and all the rest.
But I think what you did was great. You are a caring person who had compassion on another human being. Business policies, rules, 'I need time to myself', check-in time is x:00 aside, you did a good thing.
I can't imagine that you would have been able to look at yourself in the mirror if you had shoved her off once you recognized the need presented.
Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost..
I too think she did a commendable things since she was able to accommodate them. My comment was for "in general". We all realize "sometimes" we just go with our gut :)

Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost..
Penelope said:
Good for you. Because life is not all about the business. We are human beings first and foremost.
Each individual makes the call on each individual situation. We have our policies in place, but can break them at our leisure. Especially if it makes our guests super happy. If they arrived and were horrible, then the policies would have stuck "Check in time is at 3pm"
thumbs_up.gif

Penelope said:
Each individual makes the call on each individual situation. We have our policies in place, but can break them at our leisure. Especially if it makes our guests super happy. If they arrived and were horrible, then the policies would have stuck "Check in time is at 3pm"
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
thumbs_up.gif
Or if there had been more drivers as in CH's experience. I really don't know what I would have done if we didn't have a place to put them!

Penelope said:
Thanks Penelope. The thing about making your own rules is that you get to break them.

Back