Early arrivals, late arrivals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
As per usual, hubs goes to get in the car and the guests start rolling in.
I am checking them in now because they were supposed to arrive at 7 and I didn't want them leaving only to come back at 9.
So, I take the cc info, have him sign the reg form, give him his key and say I'll show him to his room, turn my back and walk toward the rooms only to find that he has left. Just opened the door and walked out.
OK, bud, you're 2 hours earlier than check-in starts and 6 hours earlier than you said you'd be here. Now I have to stand around and wait while you figure out what you need out of the car?
Because it is graduation weekend I am asking about breakfast. Many cannot eat as they have to be an hour away by 8 AM. So I ask will they be eating breakfast, do they know what time they need to leave in the morning?
'Of course we're eating breakfast. No, I don't know what time we're leaving. What time is breakfast?'

Sounds like people who aren't used to being attended to, so they are suspicious ... or they are just oblivious.

Phone call from guest still on the road, now 3 hours later than anticipated arrival.
Them: Hi. We have a reservation. We're late.
Me: Do you know about what time you will arrive?
Them: Maybe you could tell us, we're at exit 12.
Me: You're about an hour away. We'll be in bed in a few minutes so let me give you the code to get in the house.
Them: Oh.
Then we go thru the dance of how to get in the house, where the room is, what time is breakfast. But never once was there an apology for calling 2 hours after check-in to let us know they'd be arriving 3 hours after check-in.
Still, I have the keypad and I can go to bed. It's the blasé attitude I think that gets to me the most.

Phone call from guest still on the road, now 3 hours later than anticipated arrival.
Me: You're about an hour away. We'll be in bed in a few minutes so let me give you the code to get in the house.
Then we go thru the dance of how to get in the house, where the room is, what time is breakfast. But never once was there an apology for calling 2 hours after check-in to let us know they'd be arriving 3 hours after check-in.
Still, I have the keypad and I can go to bed. It's the blasé attitude I think that gets to me the most..
LOL <sarcasm> Don't you know vacation time is always plus or minus 5 hours? </sarcasm>

Still, I have the keypad and I can go to bed. It's the blasé attitude I think that gets to me the most..
LOL <sarcasm> Don't you know vacation time is always plus or minus 5 hours? </sarcasm>
Must be because we got a call about an hour ago from someone coming from less than 2 hours away. They want to check-in before noon.

"I know check-in begins at...but I will be leaving here at 11am, so will be there three hours early so I will touch base with you then"
Is it a full moon? Could this be it.
smileystooges.gif

Innkeepers have no lives. Really, you just wait around for people to check in, the rooms magically clean themselves and the fridge is magically stocked.
I have kids to pick up from a spring break retreat on the date this guest will be "touching base." Are we sure someone else doesn't want all this fun? I am willing to share.

10:02 pm and waiting for my 6 pm check in. I am sure no one has ever had this happen to them before...

10:02 pm and waiting for my 6 pm check in. I am sure no one has ever had this happen to them before....
Nope, they called every 30 to 60 minutes to give me an update on what was happening with the truck and the running lights that were not working and brakes overheating as they pulled the horse trailer over the mountains - and arrived at 3 aM. And were up for breakfast at 7 AM! At least that one was a 2-nighter.

Its the ones that say Oh don't the staff make breakfast that make me crack up!

Guests for tonight call this morning at 8AM " We're in (city 5 hrs away) just called to give you notice of what time we will be in" Me - "Great, you'll have time for a nice lunch and we will see you at 3PM" Could hear a little voice say oh! They were here beating down the hatches at 2:57... Timely!

So I am up cleaning a room and lo and behold what do I find in a corner of the room, dark wood floor, up against the baseboards, but a kibble.
Yes, I said a kibble! A small on at that.
We have discussed this wondering if people arrive late and then SKIP OUT ON BREAKFAST (like we had this morning, oddly enough) - they did leave a note "We had to hit the road early..." and then I find a kibble. !

it's dog food to me, too.
so , you think they had a little pooch hdiing in there with them and left early so you would not see?
or do you mean something else?

So I am up cleaning a room and lo and behold what do I find in a corner of the room, dark wood floor, up against the baseboards, but a kibble.
We have discussed this wondering if people arrive late and then SKIP OUT ON BREAKFAST (like we had this morning, oddly enough) - they did leave a note "We had to hit the road early..." and then I find a kibble. !.
I hope you did not find any puddles.

I brought up "the inspector" and she sniffed all over the carpet. Yeah, she would NEVER do that in any other situation, the nose to the ground like a furry vacuum routine.
smileystooges.gif

I brought up "the inspector" and she sniffed all over the carpet. Yeah, she would NEVER do that in any other situation, the nose to the ground like a furry vacuum routine.
smileystooges.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
smileystooges.gif
AND????

smileystooges.gif
Will you do anything about this? Contact them? It's hard to say you found dog food in the room as they'll probably say it was there when they arrived.

We have discussed this wondering if people arrive late and then SKIP OUT ON BREAKFAST (like we had this morning, oddly enough) - they did leave a note "We had to hit the road early..." and then I find a kibble. !.
Even tho we have a pet-friendly room some people don't want that room, they don't want to pay for the dog or that room isn't open. We have found dog prints on the bathroom floor so we know they sneaked the pocket pet in in a handbag. Or late at night.

Even tho we have a pet-friendly room some people don't want that room, they don't want to pay for the dog or that room isn't open. We have found dog prints on the bathroom floor so we know they sneaked the pocket pet in in a handbag. Or late at night.
Madeleine said:
That is pretty funny really, when you consider the size of some guests bags! I often joke when they check in that I hope there is not a body in them (the duffle bags especially).

Back