Early Check-In This Morning

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mountaininnkeeper said:
They came back at 12:30 p.m. and practically forced themselves into their room early.
If you allowed them to check-in at 12:30 after you had stated that the normal check-in is as 3:00, then you basically let them man-handle you. If you don't want them to check in earlier than 3 (without prior arrangement) then LOCK THE DOOR and stick to your guns.
When they made a reservation with you, they have essentially entered into a business contract with you. You are in no way obligated to change your policy just because someone is being a pushy a-hole.
smiley-angry013.gif
This is a good point. I really felt like we had explained to them the check-in time policy. Unfortunately, we can't lock the door because other guests were coming and going to start their day. When the early arrivals came back, I was in the laundry room and found them walking down the hallway as they were taking their bags towards their room. We then said no, your room is not ready. His reply was well, the bed's made so I don't see why I can't go ahead and put my stuff in here. I said, well it's not ready and it's going to be at least another 30 minutes. Then they just kept putting their stuff in there and hovered around the door of the room while I finished cleaning (Mind you, this is going on while my husband is vacuuming the hallway right by where they are standing. They never budged!) I have never seen anything like this!
Now you've got me interested in what's going on today. Are they still so hostile? We did install the keypad lock on our doors and it has cut down on this sort of thing completely. Unless another guest lets them in, they'll be cooling their heels until we let them in. Are they repeat guests? How did they know where 'their' room was?

Good grief! I'm always amazed by this! That people have no clue that rooms need to be cleaned?! I just got an email from a guest asking for early check-in before our normal check-in beginning at 3 PM. I replied and asked what time frame they need? Noon, since they are checking out of another local place at 11 am. Huh? OK...you realize that they have to clean their rooms which is why you have to check out before noon. I answered that would be fine as long as no one was in the room the night before as OUR check-out time is 11 AM also and this room is large and would take quite awhile to clean.
Thank goodness we rarely get these requests. Give me strength.....
"Huh? OK...you realize that they have to clean their rooms which is why you have to check out before noon."
Oh, they realize it plenty, its that they don't care what it does to your schedule or day.
We have some regulars who stay 20 minutes away in Santa Fe their first night every year and then come the next three nights by us. Every stinkin' year they show up at our door at 11:25am like clockwork.
Even after being politely spoken to about it each year. This year, that morning is already scheduled for an errand run into town and I won't be back until oh, I don't know 2:58pm.
Then on their last morning every year, they make sure they have an early flight home but just won't quietly leave. They insist on getting in the dining room at the crack of dawn to eat the "to-go" breakfast we offer all early departures. Its all packaged up and meant to be taken with and eaten in the car during the 1.5 hour drive to Albuquerque, but they insist on waking everybody else in the house up and leaving us a mess to deal with before we can serve anybody else.
What kills me is that they'll hang around the competitors place until 11:01 to check out, but our place isn't quite good enough for all four of their nights in the area and we get the dawn patrol routine on their last morning every year with the car doors slamming 20 times for four suitcases, the above mentioned dining room exercise, etc.
The only reason we keep taking them back is they book in early January for mid-August and we are always more forgiving in January when we're dead in the water.
Who knows, maybe this year they'll figure it out.
"I answered that would be fine as long as no one was in the room the night before as OUR check-out time is 11 AM also and this room is large and would take quite awhile to clean."
As long as we ourselves keep condoning the behavior, the traveling public will take our good natured offer and run with it to the extreme. The old give 'em and inch routine.
Well, they asked ahead of time, which makes a big difference to me, rather than just showing up 3 hours early. So as long as we don't have someone in the room the night before, it really is not a big deal. What does amaze me is that some people somehow think rooms are cleaned magically between guests. This really happens rarely here.
They also mentioned that they'll be leaving super early on their day of departure. So, maybe they think that justifies checking in early. lol! Not!
Samster said:
Well, they asked ahead of time, which makes a big difference to me, rather than just showing up 3 hours early. So as long as we don't have someone in the room the night before, it really is not a big deal. What does amaze me is that some people somehow think rooms are cleaned magically between guests. This really happens rarely here.
They also mentioned that they'll be leaving super early on their day of departure. So, maybe they think that justifies checking in early. lol! Not!
So they called early and you mentioned that if nobody is in the room you could accommodate them. I will not tell guests this. Even if it's not a big deal 90% of the time.
They heard you could accommodate them. They don't hear the "maybe, if nobody is in there the night before".
So you opened a crack and they put their foot in it and shoved the door open so to speak.
In my short two years I have found that even people who appear reasonable and intelligent will take any opening that works for them and throw it back in your face.
So, when people ask for early check in I usually tell them it's not possible and tell them where they can enjoy a snack or wine tasting or shop until check in time.
Now, if they do arrive and the room is ready I'll let them in and tell them they are lucky today! Their room is ready early!
But I will not tell them in advance that it might be. Even when they are arriving at noon for a wine tour before check in I don't tell them if they can get into their room. We have a half bath where they can make a stop if they need to, and go right into the tour van.
Riki

Good grief! I'm always amazed by this! That people have no clue that rooms need to be cleaned?! I just got an email from a guest asking for early check-in before our normal check-in beginning at 3 PM. I replied and asked what time frame they need? Noon, since they are checking out of another local place at 11 am. Huh? OK...you realize that they have to clean their rooms which is why you have to check out before noon. I answered that would be fine as long as no one was in the room the night before as OUR check-out time is 11 AM also and this room is large and would take quite awhile to clean.
"Huh? OK...you realize that they have to clean their rooms which is why you have to check out before noon."
Oh, they realize it plenty, its that they don't care what it does to your schedule or day.
We have some regulars who stay 20 minutes away in Santa Fe their first night every year and then come the next three nights by us. Every stinkin' year they show up at our door at 11:25am like clockwork.
Even after being politely spoken to about it each year. This year, that morning is already scheduled for an errand run into town and I won't be back until oh, I don't know 2:58pm.
Then on their last morning every year, they make sure they have an early flight home but just won't quietly leave. They insist on getting in the dining room at the crack of dawn to eat the "to-go" breakfast we offer all early departures. Its all packaged up and meant to be taken with and eaten in the car during the 1.5 hour drive to Albuquerque, but they insist on waking everybody else in the house up and leaving us a mess to deal with before we can serve anybody else.
What kills me is that they'll hang around the competitors place until 11:01 to check out, but our place isn't quite good enough for all four of their nights in the area and we get the dawn patrol routine on their last morning every year with the car doors slamming 20 times for four suitcases, the above mentioned dining room exercise, etc.
The only reason we keep taking them back is they book in early January for mid-August and we are always more forgiving in January when we're dead in the water.
"I answered that would be fine as long as no one was in the room the night before as OUR check-out time is 11 AM also and this room is large and would take quite awhile to clean."
As long as we ourselves keep condoning the behavior, the traveling public will take our good natured offer and run with it to the extreme. The old give 'em and inch routine.
Samster said:
So they called early and you mentioned that if nobody is in the room you could accommodate them. I will not tell guests this. Even if it's not a big deal 90% of the time.
They heard you could accommodate them. They don't hear the "maybe, if nobody is in there the night before".
So you opened a crack and they put their foot in it and shoved the door open so to speak.
In my short two years I have found that even people who appear reasonable and intelligent will take any opening that works for them and throw it back in your face.
So, when people ask for early check in I usually tell them it's not possible and tell them where they can enjoy a snack or wine tasting or shop until check in time.
Now, if they do arrive and the room is ready I'll let them in and tell them they are lucky today! Their room is ready early!
But I will not tell them in advance that it might be. Even when they are arriving at noon for a wine tour before check in I don't tell them if they can get into their room. We have a half bath where they can make a stop if they need to, and go right into the tour van.
Riki
thumbs_up.gif

Samster said:
Riki
I have to agree with what you say Riki. Hubs frequently tells guests that they can 'call us to check when they arrive and if the room was vacant the night before...' etc. They hear, 'When you get to town your room will be ready.' I cringe when I hear him say that because he is never here in the afternoon to deal with it.

Samster said:
Riki
I have to agree with what you say Riki. Hubs frequently tells guests that they can 'call us to check when they arrive and if the room was vacant the night before...' etc. They hear, 'When you get to town your room will be ready.' I cringe when I hear him say that because he is never here in the afternoon to deal with it.
Bree said:
Yes, I have found that not only do they hear what they want, it gives them the impression that the speaker will bend over and let them walk all over them.
My first impulse is to do whatever the guests would like, so I have to hold myself off from agreeing to everything and then having to scamper to try and supply it. If I kept it up we'd get burned out fast, so I'm learning to say NO.
RIki

Samster said:
Riki
They emailed and will already be in the area for a special event. This is an early check-in on the 4th. Frankly, it's better for us because we have a neighborhood gathering to go to down the street. So, they'll be in and settled and then out & about doing their thing before we need to wander to our picnic.
There are times when I have absolutely stood my ground. This just wasn't one of them.
My comments were more about the people that somehow forget that you need to get a room ready after someone has left prior to the incoming guest. LIke the people trying to check in literally on the heels of people walking out the door. I guess that some folks figure we have cleaning genies or something! haha! :)

Samster said:
Riki
They emailed and will already be in the area for a special event. This is an early check-in on the 4th. Frankly, it's better for us because we have a neighborhood gathering to go to down the street. So, they'll be in and settled and then out & about doing their thing before we need to wander to our picnic.
There are times when I have absolutely stood my ground. This just wasn't one of them.
My comments were more about the people that somehow forget that you need to get a room ready after someone has left prior to the incoming guest. LIke the people trying to check in literally on the heels of people walking out the door. I guess that some folks figure we have cleaning genies or something! haha! :)
" I guess that some folks figure we have cleaning genies or something!"
I've been looking for one of those!
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
Riki
What do you want to bet they don't show up early afterall!

Ok, everytime I speak of this I get flack, don't email me and tell me I'm wrong, I'm just speaking my mind.......BUT I'm sure 90% of your guests think the same way I used to think. You are running a business so what's the big deal if I stop and ask if my room is ready, no matter what time it is? We don't stop to think to ourselves what's convienant for YOU or if you are ready for us or not.....If I'm staying at a hotel and I'm in the area earlier than stated check in I will stop in and ask if a room is ready for me. If not I will go about my way but more than likely they do have one ready and let me check in. Gives me a chance to get my things in my room and freshen up, go the bathroom, etc. Why should a b&b be any different?
My first B&B stay was on Cape Cod. We drove from Georgia up. We got to the area several hours before check in. As we pulled into the parking lot there was a guy taking the trash out (later found out he was the owner) He approached me and asked if he could help. I told him I was there to check in. He said he would check to see if the room was ready. Wife said it was and they checked us in. I NEVER thought there could be a problem with checking in early.......shoot me, but that's the way it was!
I don't know what to say to help solve the problem, and certainly there are people who will take no for an answer, but I think you need to realize that the person booking a room may have never stayed at a b&b before or maybe this is only their 2nd time..... It took me probably 4 stays before I realized that I was staying in your HOME. I have learned so much by you guys letting me be on here
thumbs_up.gif
Actually, I think your perspective as a guest and person who didn't give the impact of an ultra early arrival much thought before you learned more about the distinctions between a B&B and a hotel is incredibly valuable.
I'm not talking about showing up at 2:45pm when a place's normal check ins start at 3pm. For the sake of this discussion, we're all mostly talking about the unannounced arrival many hours before even the start of normal check ins.
For me, there are several key impacts that make the practice of ultra early arrivals less than desirable. For those of us doing everything without staff, this is already a daunting daily challenge to get everything done and have any semblance of a normal life when we're in a busy season. For those with staff, those staff members are usually cobbling multiple housekeeping jobs together just to make what most of us would consider poverty level wages.
Anything that puts extra pressure on either the owners of small places that generally are considered a labor of love and not some huge income producing venture, or the staff of bigger places to do more, quicker at low wages is in my opinion a negative outcome.
You the guest, may not see the effects or put much importance on them, but they are there.
Another key impact is the obvious lack of respect things like this project to us. We innkeepers and hoteliers for that matter also, don't send our guests a confirmation that has all this information in it just so they can ignore one of THE most important parts of it and come whenever they like regardless of the impact on our schedule, or routine.
As mentioned by Sweetie Pie and others many times in multiple threads on anything from this subject to eating too many cookies, we all have researched how to offer the most competitive rates and still hopefully make a living at this. If a guest shows up as SW described and wolfed down more than their share of treats, used mroe than their fair share of water, electricity, etc.. it shows on the bottom line which for most small properties is incredibly thin to begin with.
Throw in a bad economy with fewer guests for most of us and more guests expecting discounts AND the freedom to check in early, check out late, etc. you spelled tough times for your favorite innkeeper.
Most of us don't generally ask much of our guests except to behave a little, don't destroy anything and show us and the other guests a little mutual respect. Its almost guaranteed as a guest, that you'll be getting it from your innkeeper automatically.

My policies and confirmation LINE 1 say when check in begins and state no check in before that time. If they show early they will not be allowed in, principal of the thing. If they called or requested early due to needing to change for a wedding or something that is a diff story. It is harder to maintain this rule if guests are going in and out - much easier with a door access key pad - as long as the other guests don't let them in.
I have a very lengthy story I won't post in detail - but guests who complained about another inn and wrote a terrible TA review, they showed 3 hours early, forced their way in, told me all these horrible things - stairs lined with bears (owner was marking them down from her gift shop in town to bring to a bear show that day) dust everywhere (a talcum bomber was in the room and she was cleaning it when they arrived and said it would be no problem), old newspapers and crap (they are quarterly tourist magazines for each season), etc. They told her repeatedly we are tired from driving we don't mind really. Then look what happened!

We had a request for early check-in this weekend. Why? She's only here for one day and wants to make the most of it. She also wants an early check-out. I'm assuming by that she means she wants to eat early. She has not responded to any emails to verify early arrival or early check-out and now she's 2 hours late.

Back