Early Check ins - Again!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow you guys have some real horror stories!
I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary..
Ha ha. With the sign prominently placed on the door last summer along with a little clock that showed 'Back at 3 PM' I would hear the bell ring all day long anyway. I could hear the guests outside, 'They HAVE to be in there, they're just not answering, ring the bell again.' Then the phone would ring. Then the bell. Then the phone again.
Because the laundry room is right off the guest entryway, I would have to hide so they wouldn't see me hauling laundry and set to ringing the bell again.
I have watched while one set of guests with luggage would come up and ring the bell 3-4 times, walk back to their car while the next set passed them on the stairs, also with luggage to repeat this. All the while hiding behind the door with the dirty laundry!
It's our location. Guests drive for 4 hours without stopping and then think they'll just 'pop in' before they go to lunch. When they tell me on the phone they'll be leaving at 6 AM and they'll just 'drop in' when they get here, I explain that they can just leave the car but it's not necessary to check in until 3 and we won't be around to answer the door. Does not stop them.
Because where else can we be? If the rooms have to be cleaned then we MUST be here cleaning the rooms.
WITH TWO SIGNS ON THE DOOR.
And I keep forgetting to lock the darn door and IN they come! I really try to lock it between 11 and at least 1 pm, but sometimes stay-over guests come back in and of course they don't lock it.
We see the exact same thing...ring the bell, call on the phone...sigh, they just want what they want and they want it now!
InnsiderInfo said:
And I keep forgetting to lock the darn door and IN they come! I really try to lock it between 11 and at least 1 pm, but sometimes stay-over guests come back in and of course they don't lock it.
We see the exact same thing...ring the bell, call on the phone...sigh, they just want what they want and they want it now!
2 words...keyless entry.
Oh my how happy this has made me. You have to have the code to get in the house, the door is always locked. Even the screen door at the front of the house is locked (unless someone exits that way). Even that is ok as it is the rare guest who walks around the building.
2 words...keyless entry.
Does your keyless lock automatically lock itself after the door is closed? Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose if the guests don't bother pressing the lock key after leaving?

I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary..
Ha ha. With the sign prominently placed on the door last summer along with a little clock that showed 'Back at 3 PM' I would hear the bell ring all day long anyway. I could hear the guests outside, 'They HAVE to be in there, they're just not answering, ring the bell again.' Then the phone would ring. Then the bell. Then the phone again.
Because the laundry room is right off the guest entryway, I would have to hide so they wouldn't see me hauling laundry and set to ringing the bell again.
I have watched while one set of guests with luggage would come up and ring the bell 3-4 times, walk back to their car while the next set passed them on the stairs, also with luggage to repeat this. All the while hiding behind the door with the dirty laundry!
It's our location. Guests drive for 4 hours without stopping and then think they'll just 'pop in' before they go to lunch. When they tell me on the phone they'll be leaving at 6 AM and they'll just 'drop in' when they get here, I explain that they can just leave the car but it's not necessary to check in until 3 and we won't be around to answer the door. Does not stop them.
Because where else can we be? If the rooms have to be cleaned then we MUST be here cleaning the rooms.
InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Oh my how happy this has made me. You have to have the code to get in the house, the door is always locked. Even the screen door at the front of the house is locked (unless someone exits that way). Even that is ok as it is the rare guest who walks around the building.
2 words...keyless entry.
Does your keyless lock automatically lock itself after the door is closed? Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose if the guests don't bother pressing the lock key after leaving?
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Automatically locks in about 10 seconds.

The Farmers Daughter said:
I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary.
Good on ya! I do the same thing, there is a sign on the door and check in is at check in time. I am not READY for you before check in. I have to clean, go shopping, eat, answer 100 phone calls, emails, bookings and run errands, etc Check in time is check in time.

InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
2 words...keyless entry.
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Keyless entry is always locked, that is the point of it.

Bree said:
Charge them an extra $50.00 for early check-in. That'll stop them.

InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
2 words...keyless entry.
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Joe Bloggs said:
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
OTOH, my door with the keypad is always unlocked unless I'm going out. In that case I have to hit the 'lock' button when I leave. I can't remember why we set that one up differently but I am SO happy to have that so I don't need keys with me all the time.

Every piece of correspondence we send, have available online, verbally communicate to the guest while taking a reservation, etc. all states our check in and check out policy which is identical to yours. Thankfully, the vast majority are pretty good about it. The handful that aren't usually present us with other challenges while here also, so its not that much fun to be gritting your teeth for a guest's entire stay that began hours before it should have.
I don't know how many other folks experience this phenonema, but we'll have the most pleasant, considerate, friendly, well-matched guests here for a week and when they leave it feels like they just got here, the rare other variety will be here two nights and it feels like a month.
We've taken to using the sign and locked front door routine if we're running behind or have any late check outs, but I think some folks just aren't that considerate or appreciative of how much hard work this is to make it look so easy.
They choose most of us because they are impressed with what they see, have read or hear about us and what we have to offer them, but something gets lost in the translation when it comes to to us deserving a minimum of respect on this pretty big issue because they are on "vacation"?
An important thing we all have been taught about being good hosts is that the first impression is really important. How can anybody who regularly pulls this stuff while expecting a top quality experience think that if everybody mirrored their behavior, we innkeepers can possibly stuff our emotions to the bottom of a closet and want to keep doing this for the long haul?
It probably isn't all the hard physical work or long days that drives most out of our business, its the mental strain of dealing with people.
I, like others who've weighed in on this topic don't like the weird feeling of tiptoeing or sneaking around my own house as I clean just so the ultra early arrival who just won't go amuse themselves and come back won't discover me as they peer through any open windows, etc..
We all might just be our own worst enemies at times with our poise under pressure, extraordinary patience with people, diplomacy, etc..
Maybe we need to screw up more often on folks breakfast, cleanliness, assistance, etc. and when asked by a guest or slammed on TA, we could just write responses like, "well, if fewer guests didn't show up unannounced hours before check in starts, or hours after my bedtime, I'd be more on my game"
I don't accept the idea that is a compliment to us when folks think the world revolves around them and our place is SO desirable they can consciously ignore one of the most basic consideration policies to begin a stay here.
We can get our egos stroked in many ways, but that ain't one of them. It's rude, its inconsiderate and is a conscious effort to devalue our hard work.
There are what 5 BILLION cellphones on earth, a payphone on nearly every corner, phones in nearly everyone's homes, the B&B folks stayed at the night before, etc..?
If a two minute call is too much to ask for, what is that telling us what that type of person really thinks of us?
We are so grateful for the 95% who aren't fodder for topics like this.

InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
2 words...keyless entry.
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Joe Bloggs said:
Not neccessarily. The ones available at places like Home Depot from Weiser or Schlage do not automatically lock, hence my reason for asking Bree.

InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
2 words...keyless entry.
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Joe Bloggs said:
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
OTOH, my door with the keypad is always unlocked unless I'm going out. In that case I have to hit the 'lock' button when I leave. I can't remember why we set that one up differently but I am SO happy to have that so I don't need keys with me all the time.
Bree said:
I love that about ours, too!!!
=)
Kk.

InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
2 words...keyless entry.
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Joe Bloggs said:
Not neccessarily. The ones available at places like Home Depot from Weiser or Schlage do not automatically lock, hence my reason for asking Bree.
TLE041 said:
Joe Bloggs said:
We have one from Lowe's and it is self locking, locked 24 hours a day. We turn the addtl bolt ON the lock when we have no guests checked in. It works great.

InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
2 words...keyless entry.
TLE041 said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Joe Bloggs said:
TLE041 said:
Joe Bloggs said:
We got both of ours from either HD or Lowes, both from the same company. There is, on the ones we got, a setting that either allows 'always locked' or 'always unlocked'. So, the inn one always locks itself after being opened and mine is the opposite in that the 'lock' button has to be pushed each time it is unlocked. THAT one used to be on the inn door with the opposite setting but older folks had a hard time turning the knob so we got a lever type for the front door.
I don't know how different brands work but this one works for us because we can do the setting either way. And now that I have a latch on my screen door, I don't worry about anyone accidently coming in that way, either.
What I would REALLY watch for should we get another one is the size of print on the buttons. The old one had big letters so I would tell guests that the code spelled some word. This new one has print so tiny no one but short kids with 20/20 vision can read the letters so we had to go to all numbers.

For folks with keyed entry, do you have a problem with guests forgetting the code? How often do you change it?

For folks with keyed entry, do you have a problem with guests forgetting the code? How often do you change it?.
InnsiderInfo said:
For folks with keyed entry, do you have a problem with guests forgetting the code? How often do you change it?
As our guests will tell you, there is trivia attached to the code they receive. You can have a ton of them in there for yourself or just give out certain ones. We never change it. Going from being a place that never locked the front doors ever to a code is just fine by us. Wait, we have changed it once. Our Brits always tell me to use 1776 and I tell them "No, then you wouldn't learn anything."

For folks with keyed entry, do you have a problem with guests forgetting the code? How often do you change it?.
We attach the code to the room key fob (we set it up to look like a street address in case the key is lost). We change it every couple of months but NOT when a guest will be here in the middle of a change! Because we can have 10 codes I thought about doing a different code for each room, thought about giving each guest their OWN code based on their home phone (so they wouldn't forget it) but then found it was too much to change codes every day.
We might get 1% of the guests who just cannot figure it out and end up ringing the bell.
We also have guests who memorize the code and will try to let themselves in if they come often. So it behooves us to change it often enough to avoid that. Altho those repeats are generally really good people.
An added bennie is that the housekeeper has her own code as does the lawn service gal. So they don't have to remember the codes when they are changed.

I put the current code on their key chain. This chain does NOT have any info on the B&B so if lost we would not be at risk. We change the code about once a week or so depending if there is a change over in guests as I try not to change the code during anyone's stay unless they are an extended stay.
Question to Bree & others with self locking styles - I am assuming your lock is on the regular lock and not a deadbolt type locking system, am I right? Due to the set up on our door, ours is a deadbolt version and we could not find a self locking set with a deadbolt...I would think that would be more difficult to make...but if it is available I want it!!!!

I put the current code on their key chain. This chain does NOT have any info on the B&B so if lost we would not be at risk. We change the code about once a week or so depending if there is a change over in guests as I try not to change the code during anyone's stay unless they are an extended stay.
Question to Bree & others with self locking styles - I am assuming your lock is on the regular lock and not a deadbolt type locking system, am I right? Due to the set up on our door, ours is a deadbolt version and we could not find a self locking set with a deadbolt...I would think that would be more difficult to make...but if it is available I want it!!!!
Copperhead said:
Ours has the deadbolt in addition to the door latch. You can get just the deadbolt type, but people need a lever or knob to use to open the door, or they won't be able to work it out. Our old knob that is just to PUSH the door open, they would stand there and turn turn turn...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39790-352-043156901050&lpage=none
Here is the deadbolt alone - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39982-352-043156901258&lpage=none fine for personal use but for guests it would not work here.

Not a deadbolt. Just a normal door lock albeit with a keypad! We don't have a deadbolt, which isprobably good given how 'conscientious' some guests can be. We wouldn't want the late night shoppers locked out.
We have a guest who loves to tell the story about she locked the innkeeper out by locking the doors when she came in. And that was HERE! And a million years ago!

We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!

We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!.
InnsiderInfo said:
We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!
We have had the access keypad for over 4 years and have never had even one guest forget the code. We do have guests like yesterday who input the code and think the door will fling open on it own, it is an old door, and does not fling. They did this three times and I went over and said "You still have to open the door"

We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!.
InnsiderInfo said:
We have had the access keypad for over 4 years and have never had even one guest forget the code. We do have guests like yesterday who input the code and think the door will fling open on it own, it is an old door, and does not fling. They did this three times and I went over and said "You still have to open the door"
Joe Bloggs said:
InnsiderInfo said:
I had a guest knock on our door to say that the key to her cabin did not work. I apologized, and followed her back to the cabin master key in hand. I turned the door knob to try it and >click< the door opened. "Oh", she said "I guess I didn't turn the knob." I wanted to say that I understood that she being from another planet and all it might be confusing, but here on Earth a knob must be turned.

Back