Early Check ins - Again!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!.
InnsiderInfo said:
We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!
So, right now you give the guest a key to the front door to let themselves in? In that case, you could give them the same key fob but with the key code attached instead of a key.
Let me ask this...if you do not have individual room keys, can the guest lock the door to their room? Or does the same key that opens the front door open the room as well? We have the room key on the key fob along with the code.

I got ours from www.gokeyless.com
Our front door is a deadbolt lock... it does not lock automatically, but most people are pretty good about locking it, and any time I wander through the hall I glance over and check it. Dh is probably worse than any guest about leaving it unlocked.
I don't change the codes often, and they are all very simple. In spite of that, only one repeat guest has remembered the code on a subsequent visit. (And startled the heck out of me when he appeared in the front hall!)
The room codes have a "hook" to be able to remember them, something that connects them to the room they go to. And when I give them the tour I have them physically try the code on both the front door and their room door... some people learn best by doing.
We have had one or two forget their code (usually not the main person on the reservation, but someone traveling with them, e.g. their mother). What they DO forget is either to press the unlock button (room doors) or to turn the deadbolt (front door).
I absolutely LOVE having the keypad doors! No keys to pass out. I never carry a house key. Oh, and I have a "master" code that works on every door that only dh and I know. And the ds5x2 have their own code which works on their and our doors, but not on any of the guest room doors. It's great!
=)
Kk.

For folks with keyed entry, do you have a problem with guests forgetting the code? How often do you change it?.
I put the current code on their key chain. This chain does NOT have any info on the B&B so if lost we would not be at risk. We change the code about once a week or so depending if there is a change over in guests as I try not to change the code during anyone's stay unless they are an extended stay.
Question to Bree & others with self locking styles - I am assuming your lock is on the regular lock and not a deadbolt type locking system, am I right? Due to the set up on our door, ours is a deadbolt version and we could not find a self locking set with a deadbolt...I would think that would be more difficult to make...but if it is available I want it!!!!
Copperhead said:
I put the current code on their key chain. This chain does NOT have any info on the B&B so if lost we would not be at risk. We change the code about once a week or so depending if there is a change over in guests as I try not to change the code during anyone's stay unless they are an extended stay.
Question to Bree & others with self locking styles - I am assuming your lock is on the regular lock and not a deadbolt type locking system, am I right? Due to the set up on our door, ours is a deadbolt version and we could not find a self locking set with a deadbolt...I would think that would be more difficult to make...but if it is available I want it!!!!
Ours has the deadbolt in addition to the door latch. You can get just the deadbolt type, but people need a lever or knob to use to open the door, or they won't be able to work it out. Our old knob that is just to PUSH the door open, they would stand there and turn turn turn...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39790-352-043156901050&lpage=none
Here is the deadbolt alone - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39982-352-043156901258&lpage=none fine for personal use but for guests it would not work here.
Our doors are extra tall and our deadbolt is about 15" or more above our large door handle (not a knob) to open the door. Because of the door size these handle ones would look a little off.
I do use the deadbolt style here and have for 6 or so years now. It does work and our guests do lock the door behind them most of the time...I was just hoping someone had found something new that would self lock, saving me the additional 'training' time with the guests. (Not that it is that long or difficult)

What is it, some sort of plot? Again today, when I had the chance to sleep in because all the guests last night left early, there goes the doorbell! Guests wanting to check-in, rooms not done, reg forms not printed for today, dirty laundry from the previous night piled up in the entryway. STOP the madness!
Hubs had to send them away, we just are not ready for check-ins before noon!

What is it, some sort of plot? Again today, when I had the chance to sleep in because all the guests last night left early, there goes the doorbell! Guests wanting to check-in, rooms not done, reg forms not printed for today, dirty laundry from the previous night piled up in the entryway. STOP the madness!
Hubs had to send them away, we just are not ready for check-ins before noon!.
Noon is pushing it!! We can't even check into resorts early, but they will hold the luggage. I would have told them to come back at 3PM. There is a plethora of things for them to do to kill time where you are. That is just ridiculous.
I had people ringing the bell on Wednesday at 11:30. Jeez, when do they think we clean rooms if check-out is until 11 am!!! Fortunately, I was in the other house and they didn't come pounding the door there or call me. This full house checked out by 9:30 am on Thursday and my housekeeper and I were done by 2:30PM with 6 rooms. We were really working hard too!

We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!.
InnsiderInfo said:
We don't have individual room locks so if we had keyed entry our guests would have no key at all. The way it goes around here, I would dread getting phone calls in the middle of the night 'cause they forgot the code!
So, right now you give the guest a key to the front door to let themselves in? In that case, you could give them the same key fob but with the key code attached instead of a key.
Let me ask this...if you do not have individual room keys, can the guest lock the door to their room? Or does the same key that opens the front door open the room as well? We have the room key on the key fob along with the code.
All the rooms have interior locks so people can lock themselves in, they just pull the door closed when they are out. They each get a key to the front door, which is locked from 6 pm to 8 am, and if we go out during the day it is locked as well.
It's an unusual set-up, and I'm really not sure why individual door locks were never created...most of the doors are original to the house and have very nice Colonial-style knobs, so it was likely because the original owners didn't want to change those. Every now and then we get someone who is uncomfortable with the idea of their door not locking, but it doesn't really come up that often. It's a very "leave your doors wide open" kind of town, so I guess that's why not too many comment on it. That, plus we live here and are always here and can keep track of who's coming in and out.

InnsiderInfo said:
All the rooms have interior locks so people can lock themselves in, they just pull the door closed when they are out. They each get a key to the front door, which is locked from 6 pm to 8 am, and if we go out during the day it is locked as well.
It's an unusual set-up, and I'm really not sure why individual door locks were never created...most of the doors are original to the house and have very nice Colonial-style knobs, so it was likely because the original owners didn't want to change those. Every now and then we get someone who is uncomfortable with the idea of their door not locking, but it doesn't really come up that often. It's a very "leave your doors wide open" kind of town, so I guess that's why not too many comment on it. That, plus we live here and are always here and can keep track of who's coming in and out.
InnsiderInfo said:
You can't lock up your personal belongings while you are out of your room?
(PS Since I changed my quote on my signature line it always comes up on these type threads! It was supposed to be funny...not actually pertaining to locks.)

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
You can't lock up your personal belongings while you are out of your room?
(PS Since I changed my quote on my signature line it always comes up on these type threads! It was supposed to be funny...not actually pertaining to locks.)
Nope. As I said, a few people have expressed surprise. But we are an "attraction" type area so everyone's out running around doing things. Probably the only "valuable" that gets left is laptops. Most people don't even blink.

Here I thought it was going to be easier with help! Today's her day off and we had a bunch of walk-ins last night along with registered guests. So, we're cleaning up and the doorbell rings at 11. Can we come in now? Yeesh. Any other day and the rooms probably would have been done by now..
That sounds just like my day :)
No bookings, empty house...from 7 PM til 9 PM, all walk ins....full house...
Housekeeper is off....at noon the registered guests arrive......at least I had their room done....

Wow you guys have some real horror stories!
I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary..
YAY, Farmers Daughter! I am right there with you! There's no way that I can get our rooms done (even with help) before our check-in window. Especially if we're working around guests who are staying over. It's a juggling act :)

For folks with keyed entry, do you have a problem with guests forgetting the code? How often do you change it?.
Our guests really don't have a problem remembering the code. Like Joe Bloggs, we try to make it easy to make an association to the codes. We change the code frequently, especially if we have folks stay here that are from nearby cities. Just a precaution because we are a downtown inn.

InnsiderInfo said:
We have had the access keypad for over 4 years and have never had even one guest forget the code. We do have guests like yesterday who input the code and think the door will fling open on it own, it is an old door, and does not fling. They did this three times and I went over and said "You still have to open the door"
Joe Bloggs said:
InnsiderInfo said:
We have had the access keypad for over 4 years and have never had even one guest forget the code. We do have guests like yesterday who input the code and think the door will fling open on it own, it is an old door, and does not fling. They did this three times and I went over and said "You still have to open the door"
I had a guest knock on our door to say that the key to her cabin did not work. I apologized, and followed her back to the cabin master key in hand. I turned the door knob to try it and >click< the door opened. "Oh", she said "I guess I didn't turn the knob." I wanted to say that I understood that she being from another planet and all it might be confusing, but here on Earth a knob must be turned.
roflmao! We demonstrate how to push our very heavy 100 year old wood & leaded glass door open. After keying in the code and turning the deadbolt, all it requires is a good shove since we have all the antique hardware basically disabled. It's amazing how people think that the door will open on its own. Huh??

InnsiderInfo said:
Joe Bloggs said:
InnsiderInfo said:
I had a guest knock on our door to say that the key to her cabin did not work. I apologized, and followed her back to the cabin master key in hand. I turned the door knob to try it and >click< the door opened. "Oh", she said "I guess I didn't turn the knob." I wanted to say that I understood that she being from another planet and all it might be confusing, but here on Earth a knob must be turned.
Deleted duplicate post...sorry
sad_smile.gif

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and found you by googling "charge for early check in"... one of the posts from this thread that suggested charging $50 for early check ins popped up in the search. I was searching for this information because the last few weeks we've gotten many requests for early check in, in fact we had a reservation come in last night that was booked online and they requested an early check in of 1:00PM... said they would be in the area around noon. I emailed them and said normally we could not accomodate early check ins but would make an exception and said we could but to please not arrive prior to 1:00 (I didn't want them showing up at noon!) as I write this it is now 3:20PM and our 1:00 check ins still have not arrived! Although the guest rooms have been ready since yesterday we still had to rush around this morning cleaning the downstairs, bringing in fresh flowers from the garden, printing out paperwork etc plus I had a 12:00 hair apt that I had to sqeeze in and I still need to go shopping for breakfast (and our dinner) necessities!
Now mind you we only have three quest suites but the place is big, library, dining room, sunroom, living room for common areas and it's just my mom and me doing all the work around here. And there have been many times when guests have not asked if they could come early but have simply shown up expecting that we would be ready for them whenever they decided to arrive!
I've had enough! I've decided to put in our policies that early check ins, if we can accommodate them will be charged a fee of $50. And I've just made a sign for the door that we will begin putting out in the morning which says "Hello! So sorry to have missed you but we are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check-in is between 3PM-5PM. See you then!" I will leave a basket with local restaurant information and brochures for area things they can do until them. I want happy guests but we need some time to get the things done around here that need doing!

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and found you by googling "charge for early check in"... one of the posts from this thread that suggested charging $50 for early check ins popped up in the search. I was searching for this information because the last few weeks we've gotten many requests for early check in, in fact we had a reservation come in last night that was booked online and they requested an early check in of 1:00PM... said they would be in the area around noon. I emailed them and said normally we could not accomodate early check ins but would make an exception and said we could but to please not arrive prior to 1:00 (I didn't want them showing up at noon!) as I write this it is now 3:20PM and our 1:00 check ins still have not arrived! Although the guest rooms have been ready since yesterday we still had to rush around this morning cleaning the downstairs, bringing in fresh flowers from the garden, printing out paperwork etc plus I had a 12:00 hair apt that I had to sqeeze in and I still need to go shopping for breakfast (and our dinner) necessities!
Now mind you we only have three quest suites but the place is big, library, dining room, sunroom, living room for common areas and it's just my mom and me doing all the work around here. And there have been many times when guests have not asked if they could come early but have simply shown up expecting that we would be ready for them whenever they decided to arrive!
I've had enough! I've decided to put in our policies that early check ins, if we can accommodate them will be charged a fee of $50. And I've just made a sign for the door that we will begin putting out in the morning which says "Hello! So sorry to have missed you but we are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check-in is between 3PM-5PM. See you then!" I will leave a basket with local restaurant information and brochures for area things they can do until them. I want happy guests but we need some time to get the things done around here that need doing!.
10Fitch said:
Hello everyone,
I've had enough! I've decided to put in our policies that early check ins, if we can accommodate them will be charged a fee of $50. And I've just made a sign for the door that we will begin putting out in the morning which says "Hello! So sorry to have missed you but we are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check-in is between 3PM-5PM. See you then!" I will leave a basket with local restaurant information and brochures for area things they can do until them. I want happy guests but we need some time to get the things done around here that need doing!
Welcome 10Fitch! You have just described Mother Murphy's law of innkeeping...or shall we say the waiting game. If they request an early check in they are NEVER early. Law of moron physics or something. The one thing that perturbs me most in this business, is the inconsiderate guests. You are not a robot, you do have your own life where you need to eat drink shower shop run errands get your ears lowered etc. Beside the fact add into that all the work you do as an innkeeper.
For innkeeper sanity/well being, stick to your policies. I even have a note on the front door that states the same thing - Check in time begins at 3pm. We are busy preparing the rooms, we cannot accept early check ins. Then you have leave some menus out there (if you want to be nice) and the other half of the note is by appt only, no marketers or soliciting in other words.
Enjoy the forum. It is a lively bunch!

Hello everyone,
I've had enough! I've decided to put in our policies that early check ins, if we can accommodate them will be charged a fee of $50. And I've just made a sign for the door that we will begin putting out in the morning which says "Hello! So sorry to have missed you but we are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check-in is between 3PM-5PM. See you then!" I will leave a basket with local restaurant information and brochures for area things they can do until them. I want happy guests but we need some time to get the things done around here that need doing!.
10Fitch said:
Hello everyone,
Welcome 10Fitch! You have just described Mother Murphy's law of innkeeping...or shall we say the waiting game. If they request an early check in they are NEVER early. Law of moron physics or something. The one thing that perturbs me most in this business, is the inconsiderate guests. You are not a robot, you do have your own life where you need to eat drink shower shop run errands get your ears lowered etc. Beside the fact add into that all the work you do as an innkeeper.
For innkeeper sanity/well being, stick to your policies. I even have a note on the front door that states the same thing - Check in time begins at 3pm. We are busy preparing the rooms, we cannot accept early check ins. Then you have leave some menus out there (if you want to be nice) and the other half of the note is by appt only, no marketers or soliciting in other words.
Welcome 10Fitch!
welcome.gif

I cannot agree with Joe more fervently. Adopt good policies to begin with and unless it is totally convenient for YOU to be flexible, stick to them.
I don't care where you are located, every time one of us bends over and takes in the $%^& for an inconsiderate guest, we are enabling that guest to believe that all innkeepers are ripe for and accepting of the abuse.
This is a fraternity we belong to is just like plumbers, electricians, etc..
Some standardized consistency on policies is the only thing that will minimize the stuff like this that happens as you'll read if you hang out here long enough to ALL of us.
I can guarantee you that most hotel chains are in near perfect alignment on various policies depending on size, price point, etc... If we expect to be taken seriously as a viable and competitive alternative to hotels and motels, we need to be just as united in our consistent application of some basic rules and policies.

Hello everyone,
10Fitch said:
Hello everyone,
Welcome 10Fitch!
welcome.gif

I cannot agree with Joe more fervently. Adopt good policies to begin with and unless it is totally convenient for YOU to be flexible, stick to them.
I don't care where you are located, every time one of us bends over and takes in the $%^& for an inconsiderate guest, we are enabling that guest to believe that all innkeepers are ripe for and accepting of the abuse.
Some standardized consistency on policies is the only thing that will minimize the stuff like this that happens as you'll read if you hang out here long enough to ALL of us.
I can guarantee you that most hotel chains are in near perfect alignment on various policies depending on size, price point, etc... If we expect to be taken seriously as a viable and competitive alternative to hotels and motels, we need to be just as united in our consistent application of some basic rules and policies.
Thanks for the warm welcome :) Now an update. I had a cell # so I called the guests at 3:30 to check on their estimated arrival. I identified who I was and mentioned that I had them down for a 1PM early arrival and was checking in with them to find their estimated arrival time. She says "Oh, yes... uh, I think Stan underestimated the driving time it would take us to reach you... we are still about 45 minutes to an hour away." As soon as the call ended I ran out the door to go to the store (remember, I needed to shop not only for their breakfast but mine & hubbys dinner tonight) It is now 5PM and they are STILL not here! YIKES! Well, anyway... I am ready and don't have another thing to do today except cook our dinner and do their turn down so I do hope they get here soon.
And I WILL be addfing the stuff about early check-in to my policies right after I post this! Thanks!

welcome
welcome.gif

you might try this ~ IF i decided i could maybe accommodate an early check in, i would tell them 'i will do my best to accommodate you early but if you find the door locked, there will be a few places in the area you can visit until i get back' and then .... if 1 pm came and i was ready and they weren't there, i just might post the note as above that innkeeper had to do errands, would be back at 3 o clock ... here are a few area places you might like to see ... '
i'd make sure the the door was locked but my errand might be to go take a nap or just put my feet up or whatever. even if you say you work alone, people don't understand what that means. and that you yourself have to go out to get groceries or whatever. or that you might (are you kidding me??!) take a break!
i was in a high tourrist area and folks were constantly coming to the door just wanting a brochure (i had them in a basket on the porch), just wanting a tour (i couldn't stop and show people around the place at any old time, just couldn't), just wanting to use the restroom (there was a sign on the door that we had no public restroom .. restroom for registered guests only) .... just wanting to see what i was like in case they wanted to stay sometime. the nicer the weather, the more this happened. individually, they don't see how this cuts into your routine. so it was a fine dance ~ being firm without being rude.

Hello everyone,
10Fitch said:
Hello everyone,
Welcome 10Fitch!
welcome.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome :) Now an update. I had a cell # so I called the guests at 3:30 to check on their estimated arrival. I identified who I was and mentioned that I had them down for a 1PM early arrival and was checking in with them to find their estimated arrival time. She says "Oh, yes... uh, I think Stan underestimated the driving time it would take us to reach you... we are still about 45 minutes to an hour away." As soon as the call ended I ran out the door to go to the store (remember, I needed to shop not only for their breakfast but mine & hubbys dinner tonight) It is now 5PM and they are STILL not here! YIKES! Well, anyway... I am ready and don't have another thing to do today except cook our dinner and do their turn down so I do hope they get here soon.
And I WILL be addfing the stuff about early check-in to my policies right after I post this! Thanks!
10Fitch said:
Something to be sure to add to the new policy...the $50 (or however much) is charged as soon as the early arrival request is made and is NON refundable, no matter how late they arrive. The $50 is for the 'rush' on the room. Specify as well that early arrivals are by appointment only and appointments may not be made day of arrival but must be made at least one day in advance.
welcome.gif

Back