Early Check ins - Again!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
We have been chatting about late check ins so couldn't resist bringing up this topic again. With a little one up...
I along with most (if not all of you) have had calls for reservations wanting early check in... My earliest request was for a 6:30AM check in but only wanted to pay for 1 night - as he was only going to stay through 7:00PM. - well NOT here, no way, no how!
But this morning I had a winner (in my own records) on an early arrival.. 7:30AM as I was preparing breakfast for my guests, she comes up and rings the bell. When I answered, I thought she was the daughter of one of the guests. NO - Hi I am 'Check In today' and just wanted to let you know WE ARE HERE! As she was straining her neck to peak inside around me, she continued 'I guess you are getting breakfast for your guests... Well we just wanted to let you know we are here and I guess we will find something to do.' Me - OK, well check out is not til noon so it will be 3 before your room is ready, so I'll look forward to meeting your husband then.' Was she thinking I was going to invite them for breakfast or just wanting to get a sneak preview????
Thought I would start a thread on what was YOUR earliest arrival? And the interesting story to go along with it.

That is insane. Our earliest arrival was 7am prearranged - he was driving all night and his room was available and he paid an addtl fee. He was not down for breakfast with the previous nights guests. Sounds like someone is ultra-excited to be there at your BnB. Take that as a compliment, they might end up being your favorite guests to date. They have already made an impression.

That is insane. Our earliest arrival was 7am prearranged - he was driving all night and his room was available and he paid an addtl fee. He was not down for breakfast with the previous nights guests. Sounds like someone is ultra-excited to be there at your BnB. Take that as a compliment, they might end up being your favorite guests to date. They have already made an impression..
Joe - thanks for putting a positive spin on this and hope you are right... me, I was thinking 'what is in stor for the next 3 days?" Again, sure hope you are on the mark!

That is just amazing in the level of chutzpah a person must possess to pull that one.
I'd love to have someone actually arrange an early check in because if the room is unoccupied and the rest of the house is clean, we'll usually allow it. The danger in these whining, chronic complainer times we live in is that some picky, shcmuck will show up early, the house won't be fully cleaned we'll let them in out of fear of a bad review somewhere and they'll go do it anyway and complain about cleanliness.
Our earliest and totally unannounced arrival was 9:30am with the lame excuse that their previous night's innkeeper in Santa Fe (we are located 20 minutes north of Santa Fe and on the way to Taos) had told this paranoid, racist, idiot that their luggage would stolen from their car by the "indians" in Taos if left even in the trunk. So they actually checked out of their other place the minute breakfast was over and raced up here.
The cell phone he had glued to his ear most of his stay making reservations for dinner (didn't trust me to do it for him) checking on his chain dental offices back in KC, or other things didn't seem to work that morning before pulling up.
He also didn't trust us to safeguard all of his family's luggage and made a big scene in front of all of our other guests who were finishing breakfast and trying to get our help planning their day. We tried to assure him that we had a secure store room for his things and they would be fine until their return.
Then they needed to get more directions, blah...blah...blah.... probably after brain sucking (our term for the types who literally suck the knowledge out of your head and demand hours and hours of "help", we call that help "free, unlimited concierge service") their previous night's innkeepers for hours too. Then one of them had to use the bathroom and all of our rooms were still occupied and there isn't a common area restroom in our house.
So here we are, shuttling this a-hole out to our personal living quarters to use our restroom just to get him out of our hair and so all the guests who weren't chekcing out that day, would not have to see this guy go nuclear again.
The kicker is that we kissed his and his spoiled family's butts the next three days and SEVEN months later he goes and lies through his teeth and bashes the crap out of us on TA.

The earliest check-in was 6 AM. Big name producer/director who caught the red eye from LA. He was expected.
The earliest unexpected check-in was 8 AM. Luckily, their room was unoccupied the previous night so it was ok. They didn't want to eat, they just wanted to 'get on the road' and it was actually a blessing in disguise because they didn't come back until after midnight, so I didn't have to wait up for them (back in the days when I was waiting up).
The earliest check-in where we hustled to clean the room was noon. He had been 'in transit' for something like 40+ hours coming from India and just wanted to sleep. He fell asleep in his car waiting for us to clean. We had to wake him up.
I really hate to see them get out of the car, get all the luggage out and come to the door at 9 AM thinking they can get into the room. Then they want to leave the luggage because it's all out of the car. I have no locked space here so I tell them to shove it in a corner in the living room out of everyone's way and we'll put it in the room when the room is clean. I tell them I will not be watching their luggage while it is in the common area.
We've had guests who were traveling with others who were not staying here. They get unceremoniously dumped on the doorstep while the others go off to wherever they are staying. No one bothers to check that there is even anyone here before they drive off.
Not an early arrival but an early delivery...we had a guy who bought tires for his car and had them delivered here. They arrived 3 days before he did. At least I knew he was coming. If not, I had 4 brand new tires that fit my car!

Well they called at noon - I was actually in the room cleaning at that time...and said well what the heck! I told them to be here at 2pm...Which would give me time to finish getting all the laundry out of site, and take care of much of the other fluff rooms before they got there...No other check ins today so the 2 rooms that were really trashed could take a little longer to do. THEN, 1:45 the phone rings, 'can you give us a name of another seafood rest., we're going to stop before checking in'...GRRRRRRR - Jury is still out on this one folks - but it ain't lookin' so good!

Well they called at noon - I was actually in the room cleaning at that time...and said well what the heck! I told them to be here at 2pm...Which would give me time to finish getting all the laundry out of site, and take care of much of the other fluff rooms before they got there...No other check ins today so the 2 rooms that were really trashed could take a little longer to do. THEN, 1:45 the phone rings, 'can you give us a name of another seafood rest., we're going to stop before checking in'...GRRRRRRR - Jury is still out on this one folks - but it ain't lookin' so good!.
See what happened? You said an hour earlier than before and all of a sudden they aren't even going to be there until AFTER check-in starts because they're going to eat.
BTW, what is it with people who can't find their way around enough to find food in a city? 3 days they are there and they have to call you before they check in to make sure they don't eat at the 'wrong' place?
It's fun to go where the locals go, but it's also fun to find stuff on your own. We have guests who absolutely HATE one place we recommend. Even with a discount they won't go there. And others rave it is the best meal they've had in forever.
If you have an in room tour guidebook, I'd make sure they see it!
Sometimes, I even look online beore I leave home and make reservations at restaurants that look good. Hmmmm. Novel idea...thinking ahead.

That's not fair though Bree, you have a brain that is in use nearly all the time.
Many folks seem to turn it off the minute they switch on "vacation" mode.
We've had a number of the types who call to ask if an early check-in is ok, only to then not show for hours and hours. I usually lock the front door at some point, take the phone into our living quarters and watch a Netflix movie that was collecting dust and make them call when they finally decide to grace us with their presence.
You brought up yet another major pet peeve, the brain sucking, every meal has to be perfect, not one experience while on vacation can be less than a life changing moment, etc. type guest. Sorry, but if I'm just hungry for some lunch, no orgasmic experience is expected.
These folks have so much emotional investment in their precious little three day weekend that they will not be fully content until they've driven us crazy with the incessant need for our "help" and 20 dinner restaurant recommendations (and sometimes phone calls) for a three night stay isn't nearly enough. Nor is the week's worth of local attractions we'll offer.
The big kicker is that they'll suck your brain for all that information and then lay around after breakfast until noon before getting out to see any of the dozens of places you've made your jaw tired from telling them about.

Mine was more a late arrival but it was 4 am. She did not leave home until 10 PM and then said there was an accident that tied up traffic for a couple hours. And then there were the horses last summer with the wiring problem that did not get here until 3 am. and were up for breakfast at 7!
My "early" arrivals were this last week - I did not expect to be picking up my trail people until after 1 and they started out at 7 am (a LOT earlier than I expected) and were calling me for pick-up because she fell - at 11 am. so they got me doing my cleaning (which I finished first BTW).

Well they called at noon - I was actually in the room cleaning at that time...and said well what the heck! I told them to be here at 2pm...Which would give me time to finish getting all the laundry out of site, and take care of much of the other fluff rooms before they got there...No other check ins today so the 2 rooms that were really trashed could take a little longer to do. THEN, 1:45 the phone rings, 'can you give us a name of another seafood rest., we're going to stop before checking in'...GRRRRRRR - Jury is still out on this one folks - but it ain't lookin' so good!.
Just after posting this, they call back and since they were only 2 miles from us decided to come on out and check in before eating, then they want to crash after driving all night. --- See that was what it was, they had driven about 15 hours overnight to get here. Most likely they really wanted to check in at 7:30 this morning when they 'stopped by'. At least she did not come to the door with here luggage in tow like Bree mentioned.
After checking in they changed their mind about a fast checkin and eating...I heard the water running for the longest, guess they needed to shower first. They just returned from the rest. I recommended and was very happy with it. (Thank goodness.) And may settle in for the evening. Now just hope the remaining of their stay is low key.
Meanwhile I am busy cleaning up after the family that took 2 rooms and left them trashed. Do these people live like this or just become pigs when on vacation? Crumbs of food all over the bed and carpet, this is after cleaning it fully the day before and a big bag of trash each day (kitchen size bag). The enitre time I am just remembering the amount on the credit card they signed...

We are blessed with housekeepers who are usually all finished by noon...so if folks give us a call the morning of check-in we are happy to do an early check-in if we are available. Sometimes though we only have between 11-2 to get errands done so if they can't give me a specific time it won't work out.
Here's a minor miracle...we had all 9 rooms checking in today, everyone was in, settled and happy by 5:30 pm. We had dinner at 6 pm and had time for a walk this evening...WOW! It's days like this I feel I truly have the best job in the world. I'm clinging to this memory for when the next doozie comes along!

That's not fair though Bree, you have a brain that is in use nearly all the time.
Many folks seem to turn it off the minute they switch on "vacation" mode.
We've had a number of the types who call to ask if an early check-in is ok, only to then not show for hours and hours. I usually lock the front door at some point, take the phone into our living quarters and watch a Netflix movie that was collecting dust and make them call when they finally decide to grace us with their presence.
You brought up yet another major pet peeve, the brain sucking, every meal has to be perfect, not one experience while on vacation can be less than a life changing moment, etc. type guest. Sorry, but if I'm just hungry for some lunch, no orgasmic experience is expected.
These folks have so much emotional investment in their precious little three day weekend that they will not be fully content until they've driven us crazy with the incessant need for our "help" and 20 dinner restaurant recommendations (and sometimes phone calls) for a three night stay isn't nearly enough. Nor is the week's worth of local attractions we'll offer.
The big kicker is that they'll suck your brain for all that information and then lay around after breakfast until noon before getting out to see any of the dozens of places you've made your jaw tired from telling them about..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
The big kicker is that they'll suck your brain for all that information and then lay around after breakfast until noon before getting out to see any of the dozens of places you've made your jaw tired from telling them about.
Last year we had a family of 10 here for a week. 2 months in advance I emailed them a list of 50 things to do in the area, ranging from mundane to 'once a year' occurences (for which I sent the reservation phone numbers as well as they sell out fast). Every morning they asked, 'So what should we do today?' A lot of the events were sold out already or one of the family couldn't/wouldn't do whatever it was. They came 2000 miles to go bowling. Save me.

Here I thought it was going to be easier with help! Today's her day off and we had a bunch of walk-ins last night along with registered guests. So, we're cleaning up and the doorbell rings at 11. Can we come in now? Yeesh. Any other day and the rooms probably would have been done by now.

We had one show up at 9:45 this morning...my jaw just dropped! Um, the folks haven't checked OUT of your room yet this morning, so no! They were nice though, gave them a key and showed them around.
That is ALWAYS the kiss of death for us...if one shows up early, the rest won't get here until after 6 pm for sure!

Wow you guys have some real horror stories!
I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary.

I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary..
No ...it sounds like exactly what you should do and so should others:) Good for you for handing it this way.

I am a small place and do practically everything myself, so scheduling is important to me. I have had a few early arrivals, but nothing that can compare to some of the posts here. I tell guests that check in is between 3 - 6 or later by prior arrangement. Check out is by 11 AM. Between the hours of 11 - 3 we clean. I put a sign on the Inns door that reads "Sorry to have missed you. Innkeeper will return for 3 PM check in." That pretty much takes care of those who arrive prior to 3pm. When they call, I simply explain that we are cleaning. Their room is not ready, but if you would like to leave your cell #, we will call you when it is (95% of the time, we will call them after 3pm) If I stop to answer the door or check someone in "real quick" before 3 oclock, it throws me off and I won't have enought time to finish prior to 3. I just won't answer the door. That sounds awful, but it is necessary..
Ha ha. With the sign prominently placed on the door last summer along with a little clock that showed 'Back at 3 PM' I would hear the bell ring all day long anyway. I could hear the guests outside, 'They HAVE to be in there, they're just not answering, ring the bell again.' Then the phone would ring. Then the bell. Then the phone again.
Because the laundry room is right off the guest entryway, I would have to hide so they wouldn't see me hauling laundry and set to ringing the bell again.
I have watched while one set of guests with luggage would come up and ring the bell 3-4 times, walk back to their car while the next set passed them on the stairs, also with luggage to repeat this. All the while hiding behind the door with the dirty laundry!
It's our location. Guests drive for 4 hours without stopping and then think they'll just 'pop in' before they go to lunch. When they tell me on the phone they'll be leaving at 6 AM and they'll just 'drop in' when they get here, I explain that they can just leave the car but it's not necessary to check in until 3 and we won't be around to answer the door. Does not stop them.
Because where else can we be? If the rooms have to be cleaned then we MUST be here cleaning the rooms.
WITH TWO SIGNS ON THE DOOR.

Ha ha. With the sign prominently placed on the door last summer along with a little clock that showed 'Back at 3 PM' I would hear the bell ring all day long anyway. I could hear the guests outside, 'They HAVE to be in there, they're just not answering, ring the bell again.' Then the phone would ring. Then the bell. Then the phone again.
Because the laundry room is right off the guest entryway, I would have to hide so they wouldn't see me hauling laundry and set to ringing the bell again.
I have watched while one set of guests with luggage would come up and ring the bell 3-4 times, walk back to their car while the next set passed them on the stairs, also with luggage to repeat this. All the while hiding behind the door with the dirty laundry!
It's our location. Guests drive for 4 hours without stopping and then think they'll just 'pop in' before they go to lunch. When they tell me on the phone they'll be leaving at 6 AM and they'll just 'drop in' when they get here, I explain that they can just leave the car but it's not necessary to check in until 3 and we won't be around to answer the door. Does not stop them.
Because where else can we be? If the rooms have to be cleaned then we MUST be here cleaning the rooms.
And I keep forgetting to lock the darn door and IN they come! I really try to lock it between 11 and at least 1 pm, but sometimes stay-over guests come back in and of course they don't lock it.
We see the exact same thing...ring the bell, call on the phone...sigh, they just want what they want and they want it now!

And I keep forgetting to lock the darn door and IN they come! I really try to lock it between 11 and at least 1 pm, but sometimes stay-over guests come back in and of course they don't lock it.
We see the exact same thing...ring the bell, call on the phone...sigh, they just want what they want and they want it now!
InnsiderInfo said:
2 words...keyless entry.
Oh my how happy this has made me. You have to have the code to get in the house, the door is always locked. Even the screen door at the front of the house is locked (unless someone exits that way). Even that is ok as it is the rare guest who walks around the building.

Back