Early Check-ins Stuck in the Mud

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Just had my 2pm checkins call to say that they are stuck in the mud on a dirt road about five miles from the Inn. I ask. "Stuck in the mud where"?
She said "It told us to turn on this dirt road". I ask (knowing full well the answer) "it what"? Of course, the GPS.
My confirmation letter states that we are on a main highway, and gives lengthy directions coming from any major highway to get here. I state in the letter that my reason for sending directions is because GPS systems and Mapquest often take people down dirt roads to get them here, or don't get them here at all....although we could not be in a more visible spot.
She says she'll call me back if they need a tow truck.....and I get off the phone with the feeling that they somehow blame me for getting stuck. Good gravy...I need a beer...and it's only Thursday!!

Do you only limit yourself to beer on the weekends? In fact, do you only limit yourself to beer after noon?
cheers.gif

No, but I do try to wait until
  1. all check ins have arrived
  2. hubby is home from work.
Otherwise, I would be half hammered for check-ins every day!! ANd, they DO need a tow truck, so I had to give them some local phone numbers. Maybe I should put the beer out for them once they get here.

Do you only limit yourself to beer on the weekends? In fact, do you only limit yourself to beer after noon?
cheers.gif
Proud Texan said:
cheers.gif
Do you only limit yourself to beer, period?
tounge_smile.gif

Emily Spiers said:
Proud Texan said:
cheers.gif
tounge_smile.gif
I don't know if I could do this sober.
smiley-whacky011.gif

Our GPS took us down lots of one-lane back roads in Ireland in June. Luckily they were all paved, and such roads are not unusual in Ireland, but I think these were even worse than usual.
It's all because GPS units are usually set to take you either the fastest route or the shortest route. Often, neither of those options is the most logical route. Maybe some have a "only use major roads" setting.
They do get ridiculous sometimes!

No, but I do try to wait until
  1. all check ins have arrived
  2. hubby is home from work.
Otherwise, I would be half hammered for check-ins every day!! ANd, they DO need a tow truck, so I had to give them some local phone numbers. Maybe I should put the beer out for them once they get here..
Little Blue said:
I would be half hammered for check-ins every day!!
Uh oh, is this a bad thing???
tounge_smile.gif

cheers.gif
(This is the avabeer yall deserve it smiley, not the good they got stuck smiley)

people are so silly with their gps's.
i have one. i love it.
i also have a terrible sense of direction. i admit it.
but if someone tells me ... DON'T follow your gps, i LISTEN.
if i am driving and i see 'danger' or 'road closed' or 'detour', i use common sense and i don't go that way. i follow the detour sign, i let the gps scold me, recalculate itself and find me a new route, and eventually i get there.
it's a TOOL for goodness sake ... just a tool. it's not infallible.

cheers.gif
Proud Texan said:
cheers.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Emily Spiers said:
Proud Texan said:
cheers.gif
tounge_smile.gif
smiley-whacky011.gif

Proud Texan said:
Emily Spiers said:
Proud Texan said:
cheers.gif
tounge_smile.gif
smiley-whacky011.gif
amen!
riki

I do not know why people do not listen (or in my case READ), even the ins. inspector called today and AFTER seeing my directions still used one of the other map services that my site stictly says NOT to use...

I do not know why people do not listen (or in my case READ), even the ins. inspector called today and AFTER seeing my directions still used one of the other map services that my site stictly says NOT to use....
copperhead said:
I do not know why people do not listen (or in my case READ), even the ins. inspector called today and AFTER seeing my directions still used one of the other map services that my site stictly says NOT to use...
My booking confirmation says "If using a Sat Nav/GPS etc. etc." because
1) They take people off the main road and down single track country roads that go on for miles to get here
2) Our post code is centered some way away from here
Still people turn up and say "It took ages to get here down tiny country lanes" or they phone from down the road and say "We can't find you, where are you?".
You can take a horse to water...............

PS excuse me for reading this title as "Stick in the mud" I have to chuckle every time I read it.
Early Check-ins Stick in the Mud

Oh and guests were lost for 2 hours to locate a restaurant via their gps, they got there and it had been closed for YEARS. Then they took off for another and ended up in a trailer park.
The other couple said "Hey we WERE thinking of getting one, but not now, no way!"
PS Off topic...It is the 50th anniv of the Andy Griffith show - guests were there yesterday in Mt Airy (Mayberry) and MANY of the stars were there...they were hoping Andy and Opie would show...there is still time, the bigger festivities are this weekend.
They came back to the table this morning showing everyone photos they took with the stars, they had a blast, even tho it was 95 degrees!
wow.gif
Our other guests spent the day in starvation circling trailer parks.
We need a good acronym y'all for GPS - I have the G for guest and the S for stupid...what it the P?

Oh and guests were lost for 2 hours to locate a restaurant via their gps, they got there and it had been closed for YEARS. Then they took off for another and ended up in a trailer park.
The other couple said "Hey we WERE thinking of getting one, but not now, no way!"
PS Off topic...It is the 50th anniv of the Andy Griffith show - guests were there yesterday in Mt Airy (Mayberry) and MANY of the stars were there...they were hoping Andy and Opie would show...there is still time, the bigger festivities are this weekend.
They came back to the table this morning showing everyone photos they took with the stars, they had a blast, even tho it was 95 degrees!
wow.gif
We need a good acronym y'all for GPS - I have the G for guest and the S for stupid...what it the P? .
Too funny, we have peeps from Mt. Airy HERE now to avoid all the crowds at home! Same thing happened with DC Cherry Blossom Festival this year...

wow.gif
We need a good acronym y'all for GPS - I have the G for guest and the S for stupid...what it the P? .
Joey Bloggs said:
We need a good acronym y'all for GPS - I have the G for guest and the S for stupid...what it the P?
Guest Predicament System?
Guests Practicing Stupidity?
Guest Panic Situation?
Go Places Stupidly?

wow.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Guest Predicament System?
Guests Practicing Stupidity?
Guest Panic Situation?
Go Places Stupidly?
I like Go Places Stupidly
teeth_smile.gif

Got Poor Senses?
Get Places Sometimes?

G.P.S
  • Guest Perceived Senseless
  • Guest Potential Stray
  • Guest Pose Sporadic