early check out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just got back to my little inn and a guest left a note on my counter with an updated breakfast time. they also said they will be checking out tomorrow morning instead of friday morning. two guests ... two rooms ... two hunderd bucks down the drain.
i have a one week cancellation policy. they are staying with a company that frequents the bed and breakfast regularly. do i charge them for the early check out? or suck it up. what do i say? advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Do you have your policies written out somewhere that they agreed to? YOU SHOULD.. If not, you may have to suck it up. But if you do...they must pay. They booked the rooms and now you are left with empty ones you can't probably fill.
Our policy was NO refund for early departure.

Who's paying- the guests or the company? Businesses understand business. Tough call- you don't want to set a precedent with allowing early departures and you don't want to lose a long-term customer.
I would send a bill for the full amount (or however you handle B2B accounts) and see if you get any push back. Or, send the bill with your policies.

Our policies clearly state (confirmation email & on website) that we do not refund for late checkin, early checkout, etc. When guests arrive they pay the balance upon checkin. Again, all policies are stated & "agreed to" upon booking.
If your policies are clear, then by all means you should charge them. You took those rooms out of your inventory when you committed to reserve them for their booking. Just because they are repeat customers does not give them the right to just cancel at the last minute.

the guests are paying - but the company pays them back.
there reservation was made by an HR rep who is aware of the cancelation policy. there is nothing in writting about early check outs.... but they are not giving 7 days notice for their cancellation..
arg.. i'm just a softy and would rather take that loss than create an uncomfortable situation. i know horrible business man, right? ....but i'm trying to be 'tougher' without being mean.
thank you everyone!

there reservation was made by an HR rep who is aware of the cancelation policy. there is nothing in writting about early check outs.... but they are not giving 7 days notice for their cancellation..
arg.. i'm just a softy and would rather take that loss than create an uncomfortable situation. i know horrible business man, right? ....but i'm trying to be 'tougher' without being mean.
thank you everyone!.
Sometimes we have to be more flexible with guests who are on the job than those on vacation. We've allowed cancellations on the same day because we know things happen, meetings get cancelled, etc.

thank you everyone!.
Sometimes we have to be more flexible with guests who are on the job than those on vacation. We've allowed cancellations on the same day because we know things happen, meetings get cancelled, etc.
right. i understand.
just planning on the money this week.... now i'll be out. doesn't seem fair to me either.
hrmmm...
thanks. :)

thank you everyone!.
prince charming said:
their reservation was made by an HR rep who is aware of the cancellation policy.
the answer is right there...

We have the same situation right now, 4 rooms reserved for 4 days but they are checking out a day early-yea they are business and the military no less-yea the breakfasts are changed and the shopping ingreedients are either wasted or we will use for the next ones; we do not handle the finances-but if I were owner I would have a doubt too-although becausee they actually frequently come here I would give them a break.
Its your call; maybe you should have a early check out processing fee like maybe $25? Its just if you have lots of business people they may not go back. But policies are policies and the great thing about being your own boss you make those decisions.

We have the same situation right now, 4 rooms reserved for 4 days but they are checking out a day early-yea they are business and the military no less-yea the breakfasts are changed and the shopping ingreedients are either wasted or we will use for the next ones; we do not handle the finances-but if I were owner I would have a doubt too-although becausee they actually frequently come here I would give them a break.
Its your call; maybe you should have a early check out processing fee like maybe $25? Its just if you have lots of business people they may not go back. But policies are policies and the great thing about being your own boss you make those decisions..
thanks!
... that's also the bad part ... i have to make the decision! haha. thanks again.

Coming in here late but here is my take...
Did you loose business because these rooms were taken Thursday night? Do you have other rooms empty? If you had other rooms empty, most likely you did not loose business by having these booked.
Do you want to continue to have business fed by this company? If yes, let it slide. They are feeding you business - and week day business! If you do not NEED this type of business then follow your policies as you see them. If you feel comfortable with this HR person and let this slide, have a discussion with them regarding future bookings if this is an issue, maybe just letting them know that early departures affect your business greatly they will be sure to be more accurate when securing rooms in the future.
Cancellation and Early departure are 2 different things - not to us but to the guest. They are use to being able to check out of a hotel (in general) when ever they choose and not be charged. Especially business guests mid week. You must have an early departure clause in your policies.
Good luck! I know how it feels when expected funds are removed from site...

prince charming said:
i just got back to my little inn and a guest left a note on my counter with an updated breakfast time. they also said they will be checking out tomorrow morning instead of friday morning. two guests ... two rooms ... two hunderd bucks down the drain.
i have a one week cancellation policy. they are staying with a company that frequents the bed and breakfast regularly. do i charge them for the early check out? or suck it up. what do i say? advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Had it happen to me numerous times, job was over they left early, it is one of those things we suck up for business guests, we did. I hated to do it, but a hotel would have allowed it and they would get the business next time! I then tell myself "at least we made $300 from them" and move on. Sorry this happened, I feel your pain!

Back