Early checkin request

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our check-in is 2-7 and request notice if they are going to be later. We will allow an earlier check in if we have the room ready but not before noon. I am considering talking with a nearby scuba diving business and offering a morning check in, when available, for an additional fee ($25-$50) for those coming in for night diving. The only hitch will be the noise... they want to check in so they can sleep before the evening diving begins.

Our check-in is 2-7 and request notice if they are going to be later. We will allow an earlier check in if we have the room ready but not before noon. I am considering talking with a nearby scuba diving business and offering a morning check in, when available, for an additional fee ($25-$50) for those coming in for night diving. The only hitch will be the noise... they want to check in so they can sleep before the evening diving begins..
A place I made a rez at has a 3pm check-in. You HAVE to call her in advance. She does NOT sit around waiting for arrivals. Hope I remember to bring the phone #.

Our check-in is 2-7 and request notice if they are going to be later. We will allow an earlier check in if we have the room ready but not before noon. I am considering talking with a nearby scuba diving business and offering a morning check in, when available, for an additional fee ($25-$50) for those coming in for night diving. The only hitch will be the noise... they want to check in so they can sleep before the evening diving begins..
A place I made a rez at has a 3pm check-in. You HAVE to call her in advance. She does NOT sit around waiting for arrivals. Hope I remember to bring the phone #.
Bree said:
This is one of the reasons people won't stay at B&B's. People are traveling, there is no way of telling if you will be there on schedule or not. When people ask what time to expect me it puts the pressure on and spoils the trip! How about just letting them have a window for check in time and calling if they are delayed. I like that idea! Just no showing up at 1pm! Go have lunch first people!

Bree said:
This is one of the reasons people won't stay at B&B's. People are traveling, there is no way of telling if you will be there on schedule or not. When people ask what time to expect me it puts the pressure on and spoils the trip! How about just letting them have a window for check in time and calling if they are delayed. I like that idea! Just no showing up at 1pm! Go have lunch first people!
I felt a little put out by that as well. I have no idea when I will be arriving. I don't know what the traffic will be like, how long lunch will take. Now I feel like I have to get up and get out by 6 AM to make it there 'on time'. PLUS, how am I supposed to know when I am 'an hour away' to give her a call? I've never been there. I don't know what's an hour away.

Bree said:
I felt a little put out by that as well. I have no idea when I will be arriving. I don't know what the traffic will be like, how long lunch will take. Now I feel like I have to get up and get out by 6 AM to make it there 'on time'. PLUS, how am I supposed to know when I am 'an hour away' to give her a call? I've never been there. I don't know what's an hour away.
Bree said:
I am becoming totally rebellish due to this business.
I do not like to be pinned down, I become like a trapped animal!
I am stuck here so much of the time, do not pin me down. My time is my time. Do not make claims on my time, especially if I am paying to stay there. I might see something on the way there I want to check out but feel obligated to not stop. I don't like it! We as innkeepers need to be cognisant of that. I know they plan around our arrival, but don't. Give us a check in time frame and set us free to get there.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

If you pin someone down they won't show in that time 'slot' anyway. We all know that!

Bree said:
Bree said:
I am stuck here so much of the time, do not pin me down. My time is my time. Do not make claims on my time, especially if I am paying to stay there. I might see something on the way there I want to check out but feel obligated to not stop. I don't like it! We as innkeepers need to be cognisant of that. I know they plan around our arrival, but don't. Give us a check in time frame and set us free to get there.

If you pin someone down they won't show in that time 'slot' anyway. We all know that!
The "feelings" about check-in depend on which seat one is sitting in. As innkeepers, we really would like people to either adhere to the policies we post regarding check-in or give us a clue regarding arrival time - but NOT early. If we are the guests, we do not want to feel pinned down regarding arrival time any more than we want to be oinned down waiting for some one.
Knowing that I am one who is in the habit of "finding something interesting", I try to be flexible about check-in. I did once have an early arrival due in at Noon arrive at 1, apologizing for being late, but still had to send them to lunch because the previous had not left on schedule and i was still cleaning their room. Being small and not having kids and being in Podunk I can be more flexible. And if I have a City Council meeting or band rehearsal, DH is here to let them in - unless it is the meeting night for one of HIS clubs.....

Bree said:
Bree said:

Just give me a ballpark so I can prioritize my routine. That's what I need here. Throws me all out of whack if someone gets here a couple of hours before the check-in window (3-7pm). Plus, if you arrive way early I look like the unkempt housekeeper instead of the semi-refreshed innkeeper
embaressed_smile.gif

I have an inn-mate who can't stand late check-ins. If I had my druthers, I'll take the late arriving guests anytime. I can always find something to do! Although, I'm not a fan of 2 am check-ins but sometimes they just can't be helped!

Bree said:
Bree said:

Just give me a ballpark so I can prioritize my routine. That's what I need here. Throws me all out of whack if someone gets here a couple of hours before the check-in window (3-7pm). Plus, if you arrive way early I look like the unkempt housekeeper instead of the semi-refreshed innkeeper
embaressed_smile.gif

I have an inn-mate who can't stand late check-ins. If I had my druthers, I'll take the late arriving guests anytime. I can always find something to do! Although, I'm not a fan of 2 am check-ins but sometimes they just can't be helped!
Samster said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Late arrivals are great IF YOU KNOW. Most of our late arrivals call when they are nearly here, meaning it is now 10pm. So up at 6 or 7am making breakfast and working all day - I am exhausted and want to put on my 'comfy clothes' and go to bed!
This is what guests don't get, they are not, even tho they think they are, the only 'focus' in our day. We work hard to get the place ready for them and had guests who just left and felt the same. So when they call at 930 and say "we are almost there, you said to call if we are going to be late" oi veigh.

What a weekend!
We wound up with late arrival by the requested earlies, late arrival by the "punctual" guy for his scheduled massage, a late for breakfast and a no-show couple for breakfast who were late checking out.
Why did we get into this business???

What a weekend!
We wound up with late arrival by the requested earlies, late arrival by the "punctual" guy for his scheduled massage, a late for breakfast and a no-show couple for breakfast who were late checking out.
Why did we get into this business???.
LzBorden said:
You do have to wonder sometimes, don't you? Of all of those, the late arriving early request is the worst. We don't hold breakfast so there's no 'late arrival' for breakfast here.

What a weekend!
LzBorden said:
You do have to wonder sometimes, don't you? Of all of those, the late arriving early request is the worst. We don't hold breakfast so there's no 'late arrival' for breakfast here.
Our late had been down for coffee and asked what time breakfast was, then shows up just as everyone else was leaving the table. Perhaps the plan....she was really stressed out when she arrived, traveling alone, and spent quite a bit of time on our "shrink" couch. I sure hope it was good advice we offered.......she did ask........

What a weekend!
LzBorden said:
Our late had been down for coffee and asked what time breakfast was, then shows up just as everyone else was leaving the table. Perhaps the plan....she was really stressed out when she arrived, traveling alone, and spent quite a bit of time on our "shrink" couch. I sure hope it was good advice we offered.......she did ask........
LzBorden said:
However, that's rude. She may have needed some hand-holding, but not at your expense. If I had a full house and one guest who thought the rules did not apply, I'd be peeved. She could have come EARLY to breakfast, which I might have offered to her had she asked when she came for coffee. (Knowing the circumstances as you did.)
I'd be peeved because she has now invalidated those who followed the directions, and more often than not she would now feel she had your undivided attention for as long as she needed it. (We've had this kind of guest.) We do try to graciously extract ourselves in the morning by saying, 'Well, we'll leave the coffee here, but we have to get started on our other morning chores.' Which is, again, where having a FT housekeeper comes in. Housekeeper does the morning chores while the innkeepers hand-hold.
We do get those folks who come for coffee at 7 AM and sit around until 9 AM and THEN decide they want to eat when all of the tables are full! So they have to wait until well after breakfast is over and then we're still serving until 10 AM. Which I think is sometimes deliberate. So, what I will say when guests have been sitting too long over coffee is that breakfast is almost over so if they would please have a seat.
Annoying are those who say, 'We'll just be another 10-15 minutes.' At which point the drill sergeant kicks in and I tell them they need to be seated now as breakfast is OVER at 9:30. Hello, people, I have to eat my own breakfast at some point!

What a weekend!
LzBorden said:
LzBorden said:
However, that's rude. She may have needed some hand-holding, but not at your expense. If I had a full house and one guest who thought the rules did not apply, I'd be peeved. She could have come EARLY to breakfast, which I might have offered to her had she asked when she came for coffee. (Knowing the circumstances as you did.)
I'd be peeved because she has now invalidated those who followed the directions, and more often than not she would now feel she had your undivided attention for as long as she needed it. (We've had this kind of guest.) We do try to graciously extract ourselves in the morning by saying, 'Well, we'll leave the coffee here, but we have to get started on our other morning chores.' Which is, again, where having a FT housekeeper comes in. Housekeeper does the morning chores while the innkeepers hand-hold.
We do get those folks who come for coffee at 7 AM and sit around until 9 AM and THEN decide they want to eat when all of the tables are full! So they have to wait until well after breakfast is over and then we're still serving until 10 AM. Which I think is sometimes deliberate. So, what I will say when guests have been sitting too long over coffee is that breakfast is almost over so if they would please have a seat.
Annoying are those who say, 'We'll just be another 10-15 minutes.' At which point the drill sergeant kicks in and I tell them they need to be seated now as breakfast is OVER at 9:30. Hello, people, I have to eat my own breakfast at some point!
Innkeepers eat??? They require food??? Surely you jest!

What a weekend!
LzBorden said:
LzBorden said:
gillumhouse said:
Amazingly like teachers in that regard...food, water, pee breaks...

What a weekend!
LzBorden said:
LzBorden said:
gillumhouse said:
Amazingly like teachers in that regard...food, water, pee breaks...
I maintain that innkeepers must be equipped with bladders the size of a basketball. We have a great conversation going with the guests and they double team us - but if we leave the conversation is broken....

Guest insisted on noon arrival time. Are they here? Of course not. We have a 1 PM meeting. Sorry, Charlie, you're an hour late, we're outta here.

Guest insisted on noon arrival time. Are they here? Of course not. We have a 1 PM meeting. Sorry, Charlie, you're an hour late, we're outta here..
You should know better
devil_smile.gif

Why do you change your rules??? Stick with them and if they can't do it..let them stay somewhere else. It is not worth the hassle and you know it will happen!

Guest insisted on noon arrival time. Are they here? Of course not. We have a 1 PM meeting. Sorry, Charlie, you're an hour late, we're outta here..
You should know better
devil_smile.gif

Why do you change your rules??? Stick with them and if they can't do it..let them stay somewhere else. It is not worth the hassle and you know it will happen!
catlady said:
You should know better
devil_smile.gif

It's not me, it's the other half...they just arrived. 3 hours late, or just in time, depending on whether or not they remember hassling hubs to let them check-in early.

We have a small B&B so our check-in time is pretty flexibile. If someone wants to check in early and we don't have anyone in the room the night before, we let them check-in anytime after noon. If someone is arriving late, say after 10:00, I leave a note on the front door with directions to their room. That way they don't have to rush to get here and miss seeing something interesting along the way and we don't stay up all night waiting for them. I'll usually wake up at some point during the night, check to see if their car is in the driveway, and then shut the lights off and lock the door. So far it's worked out really well. And if they arrive in the middle of the afternoon and I'm out running errands the note on the front door works great too. They come in, have a glass of wine, some cheese and crackers, relax, and then I'm back helping them with dinner plans etc. I do try to time it so I will be here when they said they would arrive but I hate being held hostage and just sitting around waiting, when I need to run to the grocery store.

Back