Early checkin request

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a small B&B so our check-in time is pretty flexibile. If someone wants to check in early and we don't have anyone in the room the night before, we let them check-in anytime after noon. If someone is arriving late, say after 10:00, I leave a note on the front door with directions to their room. That way they don't have to rush to get here and miss seeing something interesting along the way and we don't stay up all night waiting for them. I'll usually wake up at some point during the night, check to see if their car is in the driveway, and then shut the lights off and lock the door. So far it's worked out really well. And if they arrive in the middle of the afternoon and I'm out running errands the note on the front door works great too. They come in, have a glass of wine, some cheese and crackers, relax, and then I'm back helping them with dinner plans etc. I do try to time it so I will be here when they said they would arrive but I hate being held hostage and just sitting around waiting, when I need to run to the grocery store..
It annoys, tho, when they push for something (and this was not the only thing they pushed on) and then don't follow thru. As it was, we didn't have the 'pleasure' of thwarting them as we got home before they arrived anyway. But, at least we didn't sit here and wait 3 hours for nothing.
They paid far less this visit than last and they were still pushing for freebies.

We have a small B&B so our check-in time is pretty flexibile. If someone wants to check in early and we don't have anyone in the room the night before, we let them check-in anytime after noon. If someone is arriving late, say after 10:00, I leave a note on the front door with directions to their room. That way they don't have to rush to get here and miss seeing something interesting along the way and we don't stay up all night waiting for them. I'll usually wake up at some point during the night, check to see if their car is in the driveway, and then shut the lights off and lock the door. So far it's worked out really well. And if they arrive in the middle of the afternoon and I'm out running errands the note on the front door works great too. They come in, have a glass of wine, some cheese and crackers, relax, and then I'm back helping them with dinner plans etc. I do try to time it so I will be here when they said they would arrive but I hate being held hostage and just sitting around waiting, when I need to run to the grocery store..
It annoys, tho, when they push for something (and this was not the only thing they pushed on) and then don't follow thru. As it was, we didn't have the 'pleasure' of thwarting them as we got home before they arrived anyway. But, at least we didn't sit here and wait 3 hours for nothing.
They paid far less this visit than last and they were still pushing for freebies.
Bree said:
Repeat PITA's ...well now is the time to place that red flag by their name...

Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
But they're so nice once they get here! Lively talk in the dining room, neat and tidy in their rooms and, they come back. So far this year almost every single guest has been a repeat. Those repeats are saving my butt. In the summer I can afford to be picky...

Instead of the red flag, maybe now's the time to bump up their rates so at least it doesn't irk you to do the same amount of work for such a little amount of money...even the repeats needs to be bumped up...

Instead of the red flag, maybe now's the time to bump up their rates so at least it doesn't irk you to do the same amount of work for such a little amount of money...even the repeats needs to be bumped up...
penelope said:
It's the winter rate right now. And repeats get a discount. I raise the rates every year, but last time they were here it was peak season. Which is why I was wondering why they were griping about the rate.

penelope said:
It's the winter rate right now. And repeats get a discount. I raise the rates every year, but last time they were here it was peak season. Which is why I was wondering why they were griping about the rate.
Forgot about your winter rate time. Some people like to gripe. One lady we have gets a nice discount because she comes for 3 nights every 2 months or so. This last time, she was given 40% off rack rate on her invoice and she still tried to use a SR Loyalty Reward card for ANOTHER $25 off...my boss said: no such luck.

Well I have a good one I'm driving to pick up a wine tour and Chris is getting ready to leave with our guests on a wine tour when a woman calls who has both suites booked for a party of 3 Wed - Sun.
She tells Chris that she'll be arriving at 12 noon to check in, and that the party of three is now four adults and a child.
Hello, we have a policy they have to check on webervations that we only allow over 21.
She starts telling Chris she's sure he can make an exception. She's sure he has somewhere she can sit and wait for the room. She's checking in on Wed, the other couple on Thru, and her husband and daughter on Fri.
He calls me. I call her, a little more steamed than I'd like to have been.
She told Chris she was aware of the age thing, tells me she didn't notice it.
This from a Professor of English.
I told her I was sorry it appears we don't have a match, and I have some other places she can contact for her group Mind you, Dave Matthews is playing. There are no rooms to be had.
She is obviously suprised that I'm so willing to give up the reservations and backtracks. She called be back 15 minutes later and asked if her husband and daughter would not be allowed to set foot in the inn. I said no, of course they could (I'm well aware she plans to sneak them in). She tells me she'll find another room for them.
Sure. In Richmond, maybe.
So I have just returned from the tour and have found the webervations request from her which spells out that according to policy is a group of 3 over the age of 21. I told her that I was confirming that she booked 3 adults over the age of 21 and that check in is between 4 - 7 per our policy. I assured her that of course her husband and daughter are welcome in our common rooms to meet her when they come and pick her up in the library or the living room. The rooms are for registered guests only.
I also asked her to confirm receipt of the email and to let me know if she finds alternate housing so that I can put my rooms back on the market for rent.
Now, we all know she will show up with all of them including the kid saying sorry she could not find a room, and I'll have to let her in.
But at least she will know that I am aware she is going to try and sneak the kids in.
At least it's only the second time it's happened.
Riki

penelope said:
Forgot about your winter rate time. Some people like to gripe. One lady we have gets a nice discount because she comes for 3 nights every 2 months or so. This last time, she was given 40% off rack rate on her invoice and she still tried to use a SR Loyalty Reward card for ANOTHER $25 off...my boss said: no such luck.
penelope said:
I have to be very clear when I'm doing a special that double discounts are not allowed. You can pick which discount you want, tho. So if you usually get a discount on the rate but you'd rather have the free dinner, that's ok. But I just can't afford to discount the room AND give you a free dinner!

Well I have a good one I'm driving to pick up a wine tour and Chris is getting ready to leave with our guests on a wine tour when a woman calls who has both suites booked for a party of 3 Wed - Sun.
She tells Chris that she'll be arriving at 12 noon to check in, and that the party of three is now four adults and a child.
Hello, we have a policy they have to check on webervations that we only allow over 21.
She starts telling Chris she's sure he can make an exception. She's sure he has somewhere she can sit and wait for the room. She's checking in on Wed, the other couple on Thru, and her husband and daughter on Fri.
I told her I was sorry it appears we don't have a match, and I have some other places she can contact for her group Mind you, Dave Matthews is playing. There are no rooms to be had.
She is obviously suprised that I'm so willing to give up the reservations and backtracks. She called be back 15 minutes later and asked if her husband and daughter would not be allowed to set foot in the inn. I said no, of course they could (I'm well aware she plans to sneak them in). She tells me she'll find another room for them.
So I have just returned from the tour and have found the webervations request from her which spells out that according to policy is a group of 3 over the age of 21. I told her that I was confirming that she booked 3 adults over the age of 21 and that check in is between 4 - 7 per our policy. I assured her that of course her husband and daughter are welcome in our common rooms to meet her when they come and pick her up in the library or the living room. The rooms are for registered guests only.
I also asked her to confirm receipt of the email and to let me know if she finds alternate housing so that I can put my rooms back on the market for rent.
Now, we all know she will show up with all of them including the kid saying sorry she could not find a room, and I'll have to let her in.
But at least she will know that I am aware she is going to try and sneak the kids in.
Riki.
You don't have to take them...they booked for 3 people, all of whom are over the age of 21. Now there are 4, one of whom is under the age of 21. If they DO show and they insist on getting in as a party of 4, charge them thru the roof for the privilege. One place in town charges $75 for children in the room with parents. Beyond the kid exception, she wants an additional exception to arrive at her convenience, which may not be convenient for you and your other guests who may need you on the wine tour. Waaaay too much sense of entitlement here is what I'm feeling.
And see what we just went thru...guest HAS to arrive at noon but doesn't show until 3. You could tell your guest she can wait in the car until you get back at 3 PM.
Most innkeepers are gracious beyond belief and when guests pull this nonsense, it does none of us good to just accept it. See, the thing with your place is that it is adults-only. If I booked there knowing that and I was disturbed by a kid running around or making a scene at breakfast, I'd be ticked.
You KNOW this guest is NEVER coming back, why risk that any other guests won't, either?
I've had to turn down bookings because guests want too much. And, yes, they are surprised you're willing to give up the money. Heck, the money isn't really worth the aggro sometimes! I can almost bet she'll argue about charging for the child as well. I've decided now that the way I'll approach that issue is to say to the parents, 'There are 3 of you (or 4 of you), the additional charge is for you, the mother (or father).'
You know, Jay has a post in the blogs to innspire section that asks the question whether the policies are there for guest's benefit or the innkeeper's. Situations like yours are why we have to have policies in the first place. And yours are designed for very good reasons...safety not the least of those reasons.

I think that I hate late check ins more than early ones, we live in PoDUNK....like Kathleen only worse and its dark coming into our little town making it hard to see the long driveway in front of the house so I end up looking for them to pass us and tell them to see me....been up sometimes till midnight...not fun if you gotta get up at 6AM for breakfast.
Feel like a hostage that way not knowing when they will show up, our check in is 3Pm-7pm AND please to call us if you will be later than 9PM...most have been pretty good about that. We did have early check ins last year, but this was for a string festival here and they had requested that upon reservation and where pretty close to when they arrived. We did however the first year we where open 2 couples show up at noon, we had a full house the night before, there was laundry to be done, the rooms to be cleaned and so forth...we all know the drill. Me of course in my "innkeepers cleaning clothes" on, not looking pretty. It irritated me to no end....told them that it was not ready but it would be ok to leave their luggage in the common area and return at 3PM, they where a PITA too.
As for breakfast, we serve breakfast no earlier than 7AM and no later than 9AM-when would you like breakfast? We've had no guests come after 9AM and expect breakfast, they may visit a little longer, but most are out of here by 11AM...
Waiting for guests is the worse thing, specially when by 9PM I am ready for some TV or reading or am getting some stuff ready for breakfast the next morning...but thats our job right?!

Actually I probably didn't explain correctly. She booked for three adults. She is getting tranportation from the University of Richmond and being dropped off. She says at 11am. I said no way. The other two is her sister and husband coming with the car whenever. They booked both of our junior suites which is all we have right now until we build our other wing. So there is no other couple to be distrubed.
But, we just don't want the responsibiltiy of kids. We have antiques. We have computerized spa showers. And I've seen my own nephews take apart a tv in another B&B to try and hook up their computer games, and have the tv not work afterwards.
I just can't handle the extra work and the wine tours.
I think her announcing she was arriving at 11am is what put me off.
That's why I sent her the email with her original booking. I can take the husband no problem. But I'm not accepting a kid on the couch. Yes we do have a pull out, but there is only two of us and we're booked up the wazoo right now.
I know she's going to pull something but at least I didn't cave.
she is a professor doing something in Richmond, and is taking extra time off with her sister and husband, and her husband at the last minute is able to join her, and they are too cheap to find a babysitter for the kid. That's what it is.
I explained to her that my insurance allows 2 people per room. But I know she won't listen, and I know she won't find another room.
Riki

Riki.
You don't have to take them...they booked for 3 people, all of whom are over the age of 21. Now there are 4, one of whom is under the age of 21. If they DO show and they insist on getting in as a party of 4, charge them thru the roof for the privilege. One place in town charges $75 for children in the room with parents. Beyond the kid exception, she wants an additional exception to arrive at her convenience, which may not be convenient for you and your other guests who may need you on the wine tour. Waaaay too much sense of entitlement here is what I'm feeling.
And see what we just went thru...guest HAS to arrive at noon but doesn't show until 3. You could tell your guest she can wait in the car until you get back at 3 PM.
Most innkeepers are gracious beyond belief and when guests pull this nonsense, it does none of us good to just accept it. See, the thing with your place is that it is adults-only. If I booked there knowing that and I was disturbed by a kid running around or making a scene at breakfast, I'd be ticked.
You KNOW this guest is NEVER coming back, why risk that any other guests won't, either?
I've had to turn down bookings because guests want too much. And, yes, they are surprised you're willing to give up the money. Heck, the money isn't really worth the aggro sometimes! I can almost bet she'll argue about charging for the child as well. I've decided now that the way I'll approach that issue is to say to the parents, 'There are 3 of you (or 4 of you), the additional charge is for you, the mother (or father).'
You know, Jay has a post in the blogs to innspire section that asks the question whether the policies are there for guest's benefit or the innkeeper's. Situations like yours are why we have to have policies in the first place. And yours are designed for very good reasons...safety not the least of those reasons.
I can't believe my luck, and it just goes to show stand by your policies. I just got an email from the woman, who says she tried all day to find a room for hubby and daughter to no avail and has made alternate arrangements in Staunton (45 minutes west).
She hoped that I will not hold her to her cancellation policy though, as she claims I don't make it evident enough on my website that I don't allow anyone under 21 (hello you can't book without checking the policy which is on the res form....! Plus she says, I am very unusual as all B&Bs have always let her daughter sleep in the room on a couch.
Well, I told her that the policy was very evident, but I understood her problem and would not hold her to the cancellaion fee. David Matthews is in town, and I just put the only two rooms left in town up for grabs.
***whew** I have dodged the bullet twice this year already!!!!
Riki

Riki.
I can't believe my luck, and it just goes to show stand by your policies. I just got an email from the woman, who says she tried all day to find a room for hubby and daughter to no avail and has made alternate arrangements in Staunton (45 minutes west).
She hoped that I will not hold her to her cancellation policy though, as she claims I don't make it evident enough on my website that I don't allow anyone under 21 (hello you can't book without checking the policy which is on the res form....! Plus she says, I am very unusual as all B&Bs have always let her daughter sleep in the room on a couch.
Well, I told her that the policy was very evident, but I understood her problem and would not hold her to the cancellaion fee. David Matthews is in town, and I just put the only two rooms left in town up for grabs.
Riki
Congrats on sticking to your policies - and having her cancel was worth whatever cancelation could have been charged. As Bree put it - it is not worth the aggro.

They are probably assuming that times are tough and you are willing to offer deeper discounts.

Actually I probably didn't explain correctly. She booked for three adults. She is getting tranportation from the University of Richmond and being dropped off. She says at 11am. I said no way. The other two is her sister and husband coming with the car whenever. They booked both of our junior suites which is all we have right now until we build our other wing. So there is no other couple to be distrubed.
But, we just don't want the responsibiltiy of kids. We have antiques. We have computerized spa showers. And I've seen my own nephews take apart a tv in another B&B to try and hook up their computer games, and have the tv not work afterwards.
I just can't handle the extra work and the wine tours.
I think her announcing she was arriving at 11am is what put me off.
That's why I sent her the email with her original booking. I can take the husband no problem. But I'm not accepting a kid on the couch. Yes we do have a pull out, but there is only two of us and we're booked up the wazoo right now.
I know she's going to pull something but at least I didn't cave.
she is a professor doing something in Richmond, and is taking extra time off with her sister and husband, and her husband at the last minute is able to join her, and they are too cheap to find a babysitter for the kid. That's what it is.
I explained to her that my insurance allows 2 people per room. But I know she won't listen, and I know she won't find another room.
Riki.
So now there are FIVE? And one is a kid? Yeesh.
A neighbor had a problem with parents and teens...the parents booked the teens into a separate INN! The mother came in, did the check-in, brought the kids to the room and then left to go on HER vacation at another place. Innkeeper found kids in the living room and asked who they were. They told her and the innkeeper almost had a heart attack. She contacted the parents and they refused to come and get the teens. THAT would definitely involve a call to the police if it happened to me. (BTW, that innkeeper sold not too long after that, she had just had it up to the eyeballs with guests pulling stuff on her.)

Riki.
Riki
Congrats on sticking to your policies - and having her cancel was worth whatever cancelation could have been charged. As Bree put it - it is not worth the aggro.
Yes, this is the second bullet we've dodged. She sent an email indicating that she found accommodations in another town (I knew that would be the result since there are no rooms to be had this weekend) and told me that my policy was not clear, and she hoped that because of the "misunderstanding" (ha) she hoped we would not charge the cancellation fee, that we were extremly unusual as all B&Bs allow her child to sleep on the couch.
I think she had others look at her reservation which I sent to her and she was told that she was liable.
I told her she would have a wonderful time in Staunton, this is her cancellation number, and that we would excuse her deposit fee.
She emaile back a pussycat and said she hoped to visit sometime in the future sans child. I don't think so!
**whew** I'm learning to stick to my guns. I think it shocks them, since this was the whole wing at $450 a night but you know what? If she had not called insisting that she would arrive at 11am to start with I might have allowed the child. I just knew she was trouble to start with and will not have someone that difficult in my home.
Riki

Riki.
Riki
Yes, this is the second bullet we've dodged. She sent an email indicating that she found accommodations in another town (I knew that would be the result since there are no rooms to be had this weekend) and told me that my policy was not clear, and she hoped that because of the "misunderstanding" (ha) she hoped we would not charge the cancellation fee, that we were extremly unusual as all B&Bs allow her child to sleep on the couch.
I think she had others look at her reservation which I sent to her and she was told that she was liable.
I told her she would have a wonderful time in Staunton, this is her cancellation number, and that we would excuse her deposit fee.
She emaile back a pussycat and said she hoped to visit sometime in the future sans child. I don't think so!
**whew** I'm learning to stick to my guns. I think it shocks them, since this was the whole wing at $450 a night but you know what? If she had not called insisting that she would arrive at 11am to start with I might have allowed the child. I just knew she was trouble to start with and will not have someone that difficult in my home.
Riki
You know I had something similar with a visiting professor. Once registered, she started demanding other things by email and I finally told her that she needed to go to a hotel, that I was a small B&B and she kept trying to make changes from what the first agreement was. I too felt like I got the best of the deal because she was going to be trouble every day and was planning on staying a number of weeks.
So instead I rented the room a number of times and was a lot happier.

Riki.
Riki
Riki
You know I had something similar with a visiting professor. Once registered, she started demanding other things by email and I finally told her that she needed to go to a hotel, that I was a small B&B and she kept trying to make changes from what the first agreement was. I too felt like I got the best of the deal because she was going to be trouble every day and was planning on staying a number of weeks.
Good for you!
Yep I'm sure she is shocked as this was a big buck booking but you know???? This is why I'm working at the university here until we have our other wing built. I do not need to have someone taking over my home. DH has not read the forums to give him the "oomph" to not stand firm but has the wits to tell them he'll have the manager call them back.
I just didn't want to have to use my vacation days to stay home and wait on her hand and foot. No way.
Riki

Riki.
Riki
Riki
Good for you!
Yep I'm sure she is shocked as this was a big buck booking but you know???? This is why I'm working at the university here until we have our other wing built. I do not need to have someone taking over my home. DH has not read the forums to give him the "oomph" to not stand firm but has the wits to tell them he'll have the manager call them back.
I just didn't want to have to use my vacation days to stay home and wait on her hand and foot. No way.
Riki
I am with you. I still work full time too and don't need someone so needy or dictator.

I just had another one... maybe this is going to be the 'problem' of the year. This one wants to check-in at 10:30 because, 'There's no one in the room the night before.' (According to the online booking system.) Maybe right NOW there's no on in the room, but I'm not rushing someone out who books tomorrow because she wants to be in at 10:30. I explained that we could still have guests in the dining room and that check-out is not until 11 and I need time to clean.
We'll see what time she does show up.

Back