Early-in /Late-out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
This was in the iLoveInns newsletter from a survey by hotel-online.com:
I've noticed a few inns offering noon check out lately, but not many.
What if Free Late Check Out showed up in your Google listing - and extending check out to 1. Has anyone tried this?

Really? Just when are the rooms to be magically cleaned?

gillumhouse said:
Exactly! Might work for a big hotel with rooms to spare, but not at a small place, and especially not for free.

gillumhouse said:
"...when you have a maid for each room." Which means its not happening. Late check out at noon is pushing it.
"Or when you have check in at five or six..." Wasn't this place run/bought by people who knew B&Bs?

Just my off the wall view, probably depends on who you want to attract as a guest. Don't see it working for everyone, but if starting late and finishing late suited the schedule of the innkeeper, one may find a following of folks that liked that schedule.
Just me, and I don't serve breakfast so that's a help, many guests depart prior to our somewhat early check out time, we can't clean all the rooms at once so if a guest or two desire to leave later it really doesn't cause me a problem, of course our rooms are arranged so that I'm not stumbling over those folks while cleaning other rooms.
I generally ask guests in what time range they expect to arrive, it helps me target which rooms to clean first or allows me to see windows of time where I would be safe to run an errand, now true, I'm not likely as busy as some folks on the forum, while busy is good on "payday" there are times that I see not being busy as a blessing.

This was so silly, i skipped over it in the email!
We just got a reservation for Saturday that said they might need an early check in. Until there was a price attached.

We just got a reservation for Saturday that said they might need an early check in. Until there was a price attached..
Morticia said:
We just got a reservation for Saturday that said they might need an early check in. Until there was a price attached.
It's always that way for us.
Do some weddings. Brides ask for the moon -- horse-drawn carriages, fireworks, etc. -- until there's a price attached to it.

We just got a reservation for Saturday that said they might need an early check in. Until there was a price attached..
Amazing how they decide it isn't really important if they have to pay for the convenience.

gillumhouse said:
Exactly! Might work for a big hotel with rooms to spare, but not at a small place, and especially not for free..
I just tell them frankly they can check in when the room is ready. I let them leave luggage if they want. I explain that there is only one of me and eight rooms plus laundry plus phone is about all a person could handle. I explain why I ask for a specific ETA so I can clean the rooms in the order people are coming in. Can only clean one room at a time anyway, so what does it hurt? They really do seem to appreciate it.

The late check out issue has come up more lately -- maybe winter, folks want to hang out longer before traveling onward. When asked I say that our nominal check out is noon, but they are welcome to stay as long as they want in the public space if I can get housekeeping into their room earlier. That has worked. We have nice public spaces -- lounge with big flat screen and great room with floor to 23 foot ceiling windows and wood fire (I light for breakfast if its gloomy).
Main thing is I got to get cleaning and they usually understand. At breakfast I start the conversation with a friendly inquiry about their plans for the day, and negotiate the room access if they want to hang around.

I find my AirBnB contacts are the ones always wanting to abuse the system. Had one message me yesterday wanting to check into his room at 9am so he could park his dog there and head to the ski slopes.
I suggested he just come in the night before so he could enjoy a good night's sleep, breakfast, and then hit the slopes early with no worries. For the night he wanted, it was only an extra $149. Silence.
I should have just told him he could come in at 9 with an "early check-in fee." ..... of $149.

I find my AirBnB contacts are the ones always wanting to abuse the system. Had one message me yesterday wanting to check into his room at 9am so he could park his dog there and head to the ski slopes.
I suggested he just come in the night before so he could enjoy a good night's sleep, breakfast, and then hit the slopes early with no worries. For the night he wanted, it was only an extra $149. Silence.
I should have just told him he could come in at 9 with an "early check-in fee." ..... of $149..
PhineasSwann said:
I should have just told him he could come in at 9 with an "early check-in fee." ..... of $149.
thumbs_up.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Back