Early/late check-ins

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyswan

Reaction score
We had a guest that wanted to check- in early so he could rest before night diving. Since we didn't have a guest in that room from the night before we let him check in at 9 am.. So if we were to offer something that that... early checkins to an individual or even a group should there be extra compensation or just rotate the hours of check-in and check-out for these guests.. What would you do?

Hmmm that's a tough one. If you get into the practice of rotating hours (and write it as a policy) then you are only a few steps away from negotiating an hourly rate. :( Plus it seems like a lot to keep track of. Though if you don't charge something extra, one of Murphy's laws will kick in and this guest is going to write a glowing TripAdvisor review and announce to everyone how flexible you are ;)

That happened to me this week. two weeks ago the guest was allowed in early to get ready for a wedding after driving 5 hrs, and announced it on T.A. THANKS ALOT!

I would say, if you want to allow early check-ins, charge for the privilege of upsetting your day. Anything before noon deserves another $50 because the person is using your facilities and may command your attention when you expected to be free and clear to do other things.
I wouldn't do the clock thing because you would have had to tell that guest he had to be out before 6 AM which doesn't really buy you anything.
Hotels charge at least $50 to stay late so why not charge to arrive early?
I used to cringe when I heard hubs on the phone saying, 'Well, there's no one in the room the night before...' because that doesn't mean the next caller isn't going to want that room and also want a late check-out!

Personally, I wouldn't change anything. If you decide you want to adjust for an early check in and it causes you no grief..THEN JUST DO IT....then do not cause yourself any other grief by trying to adjust check out. Just keep it simple
kiss.gif
KISS
You are letting him come early out of the goodness of your heart....and since the room is ready and you don't mind..then let it go at that. Don't make a public deal out of letting him check in early. This is a case by case thing.
My husband always told me.."don't let it give you grief.. go with the flow if you can and don't worry about it.
If the guy mentions it in a TA review and someone in the future asks you just tell them. "We were only able to do it that time because we had no other guests, check ins, checkouts, other plans, or whatever excuse you want.:)
It doesn't have to become your policy to do this for anyone. Go with your gut!

I do not have a real policy on this and wing it based on the guest, the day, etc. I think it would depend on WHEN the guest requested the 9AM check-in as to what I would do.
If the request came when the person made the reservation (days, weeks before) then I would charge for the full rate (night before) as 9am during the time designated for the night before. - You would not be able to rent the night before. I think most hotels would charge the full rate.
If the request came in late the night before or early check-in day, I would charge based on what I felt it was worth not only to me but to the guest for the convenience. You must also remember that since he is coming in at 9am to sleep, this could in fact disrupt YOUR day in cleaning (vacuuming) the rooms around his.
One other thing to consider is if this is a 1 time passer by or if this is a routine route in his travels. So if you give him a free ride or very discounted add-on, I would make it clear that this was not something you do on a regular basis.

9 am is very very early ...
how many rooms do you have?
what time is breakfast? might the guest walk into the breakfast area looking for food? because, well, everyone else is eating ... then you have to police things which is NOT fun, trust me.
what time is check out? what if someone wants to rent the room last minute? you can't boot them out before their time is up. and you would possibly lose that night rental income because someone is scheduled to come early.
you are running a business and have to decide the $$ side. i have people show up early ALL the time. if the room is ready, if they ask nicely, if the request is reasonable, i MIGHT let them in. but usually we are running around cleaning guest rooms and common areas and it does not work out well. i can't be attentive to new guests while scrubbing and vacuming.
if you don't have a schedule, your guests will run you instead of you running the b&b

Seashanty stated "if you don't have a schedule, your guests will run you instead of you running the b&b"
Ditto!

Seashanty stated "if you don't have a schedule, your guests will run you instead of you running the b&b"
Ditto!.
I agree, but if they want to be flexible and do what feels ok to them at the time..I think it is ok. They just have to realize that THEY are in CHARGE and they don't have to bow to every guest's wishes and desires. And..you can always say NO, or sorry we have no availablity.

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions... I think we'll just do this on a case by case basis... we may never have this happen again. I'm also going to speak with the owners of the lake and get a feel on their night diving classes and see what times they start/finish.

I don't have a regular check in time. Almost all my guests fly into Omaha and rent cars, so timing is a very iffy thing. What I do is have the guest call me when they are leaving Omaha or if driving, when they are about 1 hour away. Then I make plans to be there. I have a general idea before hand, but this way, I know they are 1 hour out and it gives me time to be open for them.
I am also flexible on check out even though I have check out on my web site as 11 a.m. Depends if I am trying to turn the room over for a check in that day.
We each have to do what is right for our own circumstances and business.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything. If you decide you want to adjust for an early check in and it causes you no grief..THEN JUST DO IT....then do not cause yourself any other grief by trying to adjust check out. Just keep it simple
kiss.gif
KISS
You are letting him come early out of the goodness of your heart....and since the room is ready and you don't mind..then let it go at that. Don't make a public deal out of letting him check in early. This is a case by case thing.
My husband always told me.."don't let it give you grief.. go with the flow if you can and don't worry about it.
If the guy mentions it in a TA review and someone in the future asks you just tell them. "We were only able to do it that time because we had no other guests, check ins, checkouts, other plans, or whatever excuse you want.:)
It doesn't have to become your policy to do this for anyone. Go with your gut!.
catlady said:
I agree with the essence of what catlady is saying.
My bottom line is that I'm both a business woman and a hostess.
I have rules, regulations and policies and it is up to me and me alone whether or not I adhere to them. I will bend them on an individual basis whenever I possibly can - and make it known that it is an accommodation ... and that includes not breaking them if it's a question of my sanity.
I will readily tell people looking to "do a one night when it's a two night min", "check in early", "bring kids under our age limit policy" that I can't do it because I won't be able to deliver the level of service I am comfortable with to the rest of the guests.

kiss.gif
KISS
catlady said:
I have rules, regulations and policies and it is up to me and me alone whether or not I adhere to them. I will bend them on an individual basis whenever I possibly can - and make it known that it is an accommodation ... and that includes not breaking them if it's a question of my sanity.
I will readily tell people looking to "do a one night when it's a two night min", "check in early", "bring kids under our age limit policy" that I can't do it because I won't be able to deliver the level of service I am comfortable with to the rest of the guests.
The Tipsy Butler said:
...that I can't do it because I won't be able to deliver the level of service I am comfortable with to the rest of the guests.
That is perfect. It says it all without having to say anything else. It's very straightforward.

we are booked solid for the next few weeks, this is the first time i have kept a list of people to call if we get a cancellation.
so a woman who has added a day and subtracted a day since booking left a message saying they might have to cancel one of the days and just come the next day. i have been trying to reach her for three days, telling her that is fine but i need to know asap as i have other guests who would like to stay here.
finally she sends me an email confirming both days and says this
''Please note that we are confirming our reservation for a double room
for the nights of August 14th and 15th
. We will not arrive until
after 10:00 pm on Thursday, August 14th.
Looking forward to our
visit with you."

and i responded with this
"Thank you for your email confirming Aug 14 and 15. Our regular checkin time is between 3 and 7 pm and I must get up very early each morning to start breakfast. Please arrive as close to 7pm as you can because someone will have to wait up for you."
A bit short maybe, but I am stretched at both ends at this point by people wanting early breakfast - which means i am up at 5 am by PRIOR ARRANGEMENT - and by people checking in as it suits them - which means i am waiting up.
i will NOT leave the house open. did that once and someone who had too much to drink came in went to sleep in our library (not a guest - he was staying across the street) - ran out the door when he was discovered.
the last time i left a key and instructions, and spoke to the person about where to find it, they couldn't find the key, showed up at midnite and banged on doors and windows until i got up and let them in (after being scared witless)

we are booked solid for the next few weeks, this is the first time i have kept a list of people to call if we get a cancellation.
so a woman who has added a day and subtracted a day since booking left a message saying they might have to cancel one of the days and just come the next day. i have been trying to reach her for three days, telling her that is fine but i need to know asap as i have other guests who would like to stay here.
Looking forward to our
visit with you."

"Thank you for your email confirming Aug 14 and 15. Our regular checkin time is between 3 and 7 pm and I must get up very early each morning to start breakfast. Please arrive as close to 7pm as you can because someone will have to wait up for you."
A bit short maybe, but I am stretched at both ends at this point by people wanting early breakfast - which means i am up at 5 am by PRIOR ARRANGEMENT - and by people checking in as it suits them - which means i am waiting up.
i will NOT leave the house open. did that once and someone who had too much to drink came in went to sleep in our library (not a guest - he was staying across the street) - ran out the door when he was discovered.
the last time i left a key and instructions, and spoke to the person about where to find it, they couldn't find the key, showed up at midnite and banged on doors and windows until i got up and let them in (after being scared witless).
seashanty said:
Tis the season. We are running about 90% occ for the next 10 days. 2 rooms have someone in them every night. This is not the time to have late arrivals and early breakfast! We're getting calls every few minutes for next weekend. I'm hoping we fill in the blank spots on the calendar. It would be the first time we had 10 days of 100% occ.

Looking forward to our
visit with you."

the last time i left a key and instructions, and spoke to the person about where to find it, they couldn't find the key, showed up at midnite and banged on doors and windows until i got up and let them in (after being scared witless).
seashanty said:
Tis the season. We are running about 90% occ for the next 10 days. 2 rooms have someone in them every night. This is not the time to have late arrivals and early breakfast! We're getting calls every few minutes for next weekend. I'm hoping we fill in the blank spots on the calendar. It would be the first time we had 10 days of 100% occ.
Wow I am tired just thinking about you! I have been updating clients sites this morning. And just out of curiosity checking their availability. One couple who has 6 rental cabins here...is booked solid everyday the month of August... Unbelieveable! And, everyone else is booking full as well. So obviously folks are traveling.
We are not.
cry_smile.gif
but by our choice.

Looking forward to our
visit with you."

seashanty said:
Wow I am tired just thinking about you! I have been updating clients sites this morning. And just out of curiosity checking their availability. One couple who has 6 rental cabins here...is booked solid everyday the month of August... Unbelieveable! And, everyone else is booking full as well. So obviously folks are traveling.
We are not.
cry_smile.gif
but by our choice.
catlady said:
We are not.
cry_smile.gif
but by our choice.
They are travelling. Those in big cities are not travelling as far, so that is why that area is doing so well! I think anyone who lives a few hours from a huge metro area is doing great. Same for the whole business thing - location location.

last month, i let two women check in early because they were going to a wedding that afternoon. got here an hour BEFORE the early time they requested. luckily the room was ready. they took showers etc. i even let one of them use MY shower so they could both shower at the same time.
next day, they asked if they could check out LATE. i told them no, i was sorry, we needed to get the room ready for other guests. guess what? they were grumpy about it and let me know it. left a little late, but not by much. but all the nice thankyous from the day before long forgotten.

kiss.gif
KISS
catlady said:
We just had some folks here for OCS graduation. These military class graduations are a 2-3 day event. They were totally stressed - lots of juggling for the wife to get here, grandparents had brought the 3 kids here & they were staying somewhere else. Anywho....he asked me if there was any way that they could check out later as the last event was at 1 pm (outside in the heat, of course) and they had to collect the kids, change cars, get the wife to the airport, he had to drive home with the kids, yada, yada. They had been here 2 days and had been separated for 3 months. I said that it wasn't a problem as long as we didn't have a reservation coming into their room (this was also a room that I had to move & upgraded because of a plumbing issue in the room they booked). They ended up getting back a lot later than they planned & were super apologetic. He had told some buddies who'll be back for other classes about us. I was sure to tell him, "Remember, we did you a special favor to let you check out late because y'all had so much going on. Don't tell your friends that we do this all the time!!!"
When I went to clean the room...it was almost like they hadn't stayed there. Gotta love the military folks :)

Back