Early morning stalkers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
*Minor Vent* I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the quiet early times here in the morning. I get up at 5:45 and start making coffee, setting the table, cutting fruit for breakfast. It is peaceful and MY TIME. Today beginning at 6:15 I've had to deal with a stalker who was first "just looking for coffee" (which we promise is out by 7 and today it was out by 6!) and who then proceeded to follow me around step for step as I set the table.
This person is very nice but BACK OFF this early dude!!! Grrrr...

I am never up that early, but I know what you mean. I hate when they're sitting down AT the tables when I get up and I have to set the tables around them. And they're just sitting there. Not reading the paper or anything. So I feel rushed to get the food out to them at that point. Even tho it isn't even 8.

I am never up that early, but I know what you mean. I hate when they're sitting down AT the tables when I get up and I have to set the tables around them. And they're just sitting there. Not reading the paper or anything. So I feel rushed to get the food out to them at that point. Even tho it isn't even 8..
The title of this thread made me laugh out loud. I don't get them as bad as I used to, since having a door put on my kitchen. It has changed my life. It's a swinging door, so I can prop it open if need be, but I don't do it often because they feel it's an open invitation! I feel your pain...

Most mornings it's crickets until about 7:30 or so but this guy was just RARING to go this morning! Threw me off guard. So he drank his coffee and he and his buddy took off, don't know if they'll be back for breakfast or not.

I have a sixth sense about coffee drinkers. For real, I do.
My Dad still gets up at 330am every day and downs a full pot and has one leg pegged to the floor. Those who are early coffee drinkers only drink it black, no sugar, no cream. I can tell at check in if they are the early riser coffee drinkers. This mean make double what I usually make and the first half is for one individual alone.
I like the early coffee drinkers. Not sure what it is, they are the go getters in life. Eager to meet each day as it happens. Just my feeling on the subject.
BTW in case any one is wondering we have all six rooms checked in and all six rooms wanted the 8am seating! On a Sat morning! Well we can't fit everyone at the table, so one room said they would go have coffee and ended up in the dining room on the side chairs chatting anyway! I offered an 8am and a 9am, all 6 rooms wanted 8am. No they are not southerners either, NYC, Boston, NJ, PA and Newport News VA x 2.

I have a sixth sense about coffee drinkers. For real, I do.
My Dad still gets up at 330am every day and downs a full pot and has one leg pegged to the floor. Those who are early coffee drinkers only drink it black, no sugar, no cream. I can tell at check in if they are the early riser coffee drinkers. This mean make double what I usually make and the first half is for one individual alone.
I like the early coffee drinkers. Not sure what it is, they are the go getters in life. Eager to meet each day as it happens. Just my feeling on the subject.
BTW in case any one is wondering we have all six rooms checked in and all six rooms wanted the 8am seating! On a Sat morning! Well we can't fit everyone at the table, so one room said they would go have coffee and ended up in the dining room on the side chairs chatting anyway! I offered an 8am and a 9am, all 6 rooms wanted 8am. No they are not southerners either, NYC, Boston, NJ, PA and Newport News VA x 2..
The past 3 mornings we have gone thru 4 pots of coffee (2 reg, 2 decaf) BEFORE I have even gotten out of bed! (Gomez told me, that's how I know.)

Oh yeah the decaf crowd are tough!
Sorry couldn't resist. I served decaf yesterday, the firs time in 6 months, I need to go buy some fresher decaf, I just buy it and it sits. We have more tea drinkers than decaffers, ie more non caffeine/herbal te.a

Was his name Thurston? Thurston would come down and plunk in the kitchen talking to me every time he came. And every time he came, I was guaranteed to break one or more Fostoria goblets.

I keep one of those individual coffee makers out all the time for those early risers and late nighters who can't function without their coffee. It has been a godsend. Many times I hear someone making coffee before I'm even out of bed and I'm usually down by 6 or 6:30.

we store the decaf in our freezer, otherwise it goes stale.
greyswan said:
we store the decaf in our freezer, otherwise it goes stale
We store all of the coffee in the freezer. We know just where it is and it's out of our way!
Morticia said:
greyswan said:
We store all of the coffee in the freezer. We know just where it is and it's out of our way!
Is this bags that are open, or ALL bags?

Coffee in the freezer is debatable at best, many believe it destroys coffee.
I have individ coffee available at other hours, but not the fresh full pot or more we offer in the am's.
You can get these at any grocery store carrying Starbucks
http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=286452
286452.jpg

we store the decaf in our freezer, otherwise it goes stale.
greyswan said:
Morticia said:
greyswan said:
MTLLodge said:
Morticia said:
greyswan said:
We kept a couple of old Maxwell House cans and we dump the ground coffee in there and keep them in the freezer. So, once the bag is open, or, if the can is empty, in the freezer it goes.

I have individ coffee available at other hours, but not the fresh full pot or more we offer in the am's.
286452.jpg
you can also get the Starbucks Vias at Costco for about half the price of the grocery store. They only have medium roast Colombia, though.

286452.jpg
you can also get the Starbucks Vias at Costco for about half the price of the grocery store. They only have medium roast Colombia, though.
muirford said:
Someone brought those along with her last week so I asked what she thought. She had one and said it was awful. Then she went on to use the Keurig here for the rest of her coffee. I'm no judge so I don't know if she was just whining or what.

286452.jpg
muirford said:
Someone brought those along with her last week so I asked what she thought. She had one and said it was awful. Then she went on to use the Keurig here for the rest of her coffee. I'm no judge so I don't know if she was just whining or what.
Morticia said:
Someone brought those along with her last week so I asked what she thought. She had one and said it was awful. Then she went on to use the Keurig here for the rest of her coffee.
I'm no judge either - I've never drunk a cup of coffee in my life. DH says they are okay. I have to believe they are better than the Folger's coffee bags or instant coffee sticks, which is our only alternative in the afternoon after the brewed coffee is put away. I am sure that the Keurig is better coffee than any of those.

New Inn to Inn idea...I will get in my go-go-mobile and go to every inn and be a taste tester. :) Maybe I can get Folgers in the morning to sponsor me and give me a runs on bio coffee grounds car! What is that saying, Nothing like waking up with folgers in your cup! I mean, coffee commercials are the real PEOPLE ads,, scenery, soundtrack, smiling facing...

I was always up at o'dark thirty to get everything going and had the bejeezus scared out of me a couple of times when someone would be sitting in the living room totally dressed and ready for the day. Early brewed coffee was out at 7 am but they had the Tassimo for earlier than that.
Taught me early that I couldn't sneak out in my robe or anything even if it was super early.............

Back