Early Risers Making Noise - What Can You Do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
It's 6:30 am and a guest decides he's gonna watch a soccer match out on the deck on his laptop. So he and his wife are outside moving chairs around scraping them across the deck, talking, trying to get the match up and running. There is no other noise here on our property so they will certainly wake people up. This is my biggest pet peeve - no consideration for the 16 sleeping in. Is there anything to be done with people like this or to stop others from being so rude. Most guests aren't up until at after 8:00 but we do get those who are early risers and make lots of noise out on the deck. Stress!!!!!

Just go out and tell them...they are disturbing other guests. Maybe you keep the doors to the deck locked until a reasonable hour.

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. If you don't say something you risk a bad review from others, if you do the perpetrators may leave one in retaliation (I Know, I have one).
I'm afraid it's zero tolerance from me on things like this, and yes they can leave a bad review if they want and I will wade in there with details of how inconsiderate I think they are.
Had a couple in this week who had their TV on so loud at 23:15 that I could hear what people on the TV were saying from downstairs whilst they were upstairs with their room door closed. Went straight up there, knocked on their door and asked them to turn it down.
Bit more of a problem is people noisy in their rooms. Two ladies in the room above us were up at 6:30 this morning, moving around, talking, showering. Woke us up but don't think they would affect anyone else. Suppose we just have to grin and bare it.

We ask each guest to keep quiet from 10PM to 8AM in respect of others. For the most part, it works.

I'll always do what's best for the majority. That being said, are they really being that loud, or does it just seem like it to you because you are already awake? If you were still sleeping, would this really wake you? If so, then simply tell them there are other people still sleeping and you would appreciate it if they could be careful with the noise.

Just go out and tell them...they are disturbing other guests. Maybe you keep the doors to the deck locked until a reasonable hour..
They may not know they are that loud. Give them the benefit of not being aware that noise travels, in the wee hours and you know they probably were not aware at how loud this ,the moving of chairs and the sound of television on the deck travels . Most are not up till 8am. Give them the benefit of not being aware .

Just go out and tell them...they are disturbing other guests. Maybe you keep the doors to the deck locked until a reasonable hour..
They may not know they are that loud. Give them the benefit of not being aware that noise travels, in the wee hours and you know they probably were not aware at how loud this ,the moving of chairs and the sound of television on the deck travels . Most are not up till 8am. Give them the benefit of not being aware .
We were patient with them until they started getting real loud and I could hear him from across the kitchen telling her he found a place for tonight with happy hour. Gee, at 6:30am were planning for happy hour tonight outside on the deck - i believe its not that they are unaware, I believe some just don't care. Hubby went and reminded them guests were still asleep, too bad if it upset them, others have a right to sleep in.

this is one of my pet peeves - people who get up very early then sit and chat in the lounge while waiting for us to open up for breakfast.

this is one of my pet peeves - people who get up very early then sit and chat in the lounge while waiting for us to open up for breakfast..
I never ever thought about people doing this when we were building. We never stayed at a B&B where people were up and noisy so I never considered it. I guess I believed there was B&B etiquette and people were considerate of others sleeping in. I so wanna put up the signs I saw at the Hyatt in Boston with a person sleeping in the background that said "Shhh, other guests are sleeping in! Please be courteous." These we're put up after 10pm and taken down after 8am in the morning by the elevators to remind people to be quiet when they came back in at night.
thoughts?

this is one of my pet peeves - people who get up very early then sit and chat in the lounge while waiting for us to open up for breakfast..
I never ever thought about people doing this when we were building. We never stayed at a B&B where people were up and noisy so I never considered it. I guess I believed there was B&B etiquette and people were considerate of others sleeping in. I so wanna put up the signs I saw at the Hyatt in Boston with a person sleeping in the background that said "Shhh, other guests are sleeping in! Please be courteous." These we're put up after 10pm and taken down after 8am in the morning by the elevators to remind people to be quiet when they came back in at night.
thoughts?
In a location guests are likely to see, that would be good.
The worst are parents with cranky kids. They don't want their spouse woken up so they take the kid into the living room where 12 other guests can now hear the kid.
If I can hear the kid from my bedroom, everyone can hear the kid. I explain that to the parent.
We had 2 very loud women here last week. They sat in the living room every morning. I refused to 'see' them there. If they caught my eye they started yelling questions at me.
I waited until they sat for breakfast to talk to them.

It really puts you between a rock and a hard place. Since they're out of their room I would probably go out there with an extra pastry (if you've got something) as a peace offering and tell them nicely to quiet down.
I can so relate to this. In the summer, we get very different types of guests than what our regulars are. Our regulars are here to sleep and relax. Our summer guests are older and more 1 nighters and get up early. They get up early and have to wait for breakfast, so they're packing the car, in and out, closing doors, closing car doors, making noise. They're the ones knocking on my kitchen door, wanting to know something that could have waited until later. It does impact others, and I got a review recently that mentioned noise in the morning.
As HJ mentioned, I would rather have a negative review from the person I told to quiet down, than from the guest who was disturbed. It's better to explain to the readers that it was the reviewer who was inconsiderate.
Sorry these dolts pulled that this morning. I also know how your stomach is in knots when it happens!
omg_smile.gif

We were patient with them until they started getting real loud and I could hear him from across the kitchen telling her he found a place for tonight with happy hour. Gee, at 6:30am were planning for happy hour tonight outside on the deck - i believe its not that they are unaware, I believe some just don't care. Hubby went and reminded them guests were still asleep, too bad if it upset them, others have a right to sleep in.
MtnKeeper said:
i believe its not that they are unaware, I believe some just don't care.
That's why I don't think the sign would make a difference. Some people just are not considerate of others. Period. A sign won't help. One of my favorite sayings to myself when I try to understand where people are coming from is "Stupid people do not know they are stupid". So no amount of hinting, sarcasm, direct language, signs, or hammers over the head will help them to understand.

We have 10-8 quiet hours posted with our other short list of things to be aware of at our B&B.

For the most part it does help remind guests to be considerate to others needs.

For those that are not, it is your obligation to OTHER guests to remind them that others are still a sleep.
I too would rather have a bad review from someone I had to remind to be quiet than batting the reviews of those stating there was no sleeping to all the noise.

We have 10-8 quiet hours posted with our other short list of things to be aware of at our B&B.

For the most part it does help remind guests to be considerate to others needs.

For those that are not, it is your obligation to OTHER guests to remind them that others are still a sleep.
I too would rather have a bad review from someone I had to remind to be quiet than batting the reviews of those stating there was no sleeping to all the noise..
I agree - we always talk to the person making the noise - it's our obligation to quiet them down so that the other 16 paying guests can enjoy their time away. I'll take a bad review any day over letting them be rude and disturbing others. was just wondering if anyone had any kind of sign about quiet hours and if it worked.
We once had guests who we had to talk to twice after midnight to quiet down in the common area as they were drinking wine by the fire playing checkers and at times got loud. They then slept in while others were upset at breakfast that they were woken up by their ridiculous laughter. They came down at checkout time and asked to add another night - some guests were on the couch and heard us say that we were sorry that we had just booked their room over the phone and they had to leave NOW. The guests on the couch asked us after if we really had other people or we were getting rid of them for the sake of the rest of them and we said that we'd rather lose the money than have them bother everyone else. They smiled and thanked us and were surprised that we'd lose income to be sure they had a quiet night.

I think once they got outside, they felt like they didn't need to use their inside voice anymore. I would have probably approached them in a whisper and said, "I can hear y'all all the way in the kitchen *laughter*. Could you please hold it down, some people are still asleep?"
We have such a great rapport with our guests, that the other Innkeeper would probably go out there and say, "Holy cow, you guys are so loud! Do you mind, we're trying to work in here!??!" lol and they would all laugh and they'd get the point. Depends on the atmosphere & guests demeanor as how best to handle it.

it's a challenge.
you will have early risers and you will have those who stay up late - and some people have no idea how loud they are or how much their voices, laughter and even walking (stomping) carry. some are oblivious and some really don't care. some react defensively as in 'well the guests above/beside us kept us up all night with their noise'.
i like the idea of 'quiet hours' posted and noted so you can refer to them --- and you really do have to speak up. signs won't make a difference to some but you can easily point out the quiet hours without the 'shock and surprise' reaction. i had to quiet some guests repeatedly. they'd be quiet for a while then start laughing, get carried away and be loud again.

it's a challenge.
you will have early risers and you will have those who stay up late - and some people have no idea how loud they are or how much their voices, laughter and even walking (stomping) carry. some are oblivious and some really don't care. some react defensively as in 'well the guests above/beside us kept us up all night with their noise'.
i like the idea of 'quiet hours' posted and noted so you can refer to them --- and you really do have to speak up. signs won't make a difference to some but you can easily point out the quiet hours without the 'shock and surprise' reaction. i had to quiet some guests repeatedly. they'd be quiet for a while then start laughing, get carried away and be loud again..
seashanty said:
it's a challenge.
i like the idea of 'quiet hours' posted and noted so you can refer to them --- and you really do have to speak up. signs won't make a difference to some but you can easily point out the quiet hours without the 'shock and surprise' reaction. i had to quiet some guests repeatedly. they'd be quiet for a while then start laughing, get carried away and be loud again.
And some are deaf so the TV is set to BLARE so they can barely hear it.

We as innkeepers are overly sensitive to noise. We shuffle around the kitchen in our quietest shoes when guests race up and down the stairs in boots and heels to go out to smoke, or get something from their car.
Some people are just loud. LOUD LOUD LOUD. They can't be quiet. People talk over hair dryers in the guest rooms when they get up early. There is not a whole lot you can do about it unless they are having a drunken brawl or something.

Just a different perspective: my now 15 year old son is hard of hearing. If he doesn't have his hearing aids in- which, granted, is an unusual occurrence, he can't hear at normal decibels. If he does have them in- a regular occurrence- he still has trouble hearing certain tones/sounds.
We just stayed for three nights at a place in Maine and I was very aware of how loud we could have been had we not been intentionally quiet ;)
We've adapted to the situation as best we can, but then again, we're fairly conscientious of our situation.
These people were seemingly rude. Big difference.

Here the birds will wake you long before the guests do. I often tell my guests to sleep with the fan on if they don't want to hear the birds singing at 5 a.m. or the loons calling all night long. I think most guests expect to hear some noises early in the morning as people get up at different times. If we have guests making too much noise after 10 p.m. though, we do ask them to be quieter for the other guests.

Back