Easy to find prices

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have seen websites lately that I have to HUNT for room rates. Not sure what the heck the innkeeper is thinking, listening to bad advice perhaps... but when I saw this tweet it made me laugh:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]"I expect you to list prices on your website if you are selling products. Is that an unreasonable request. No prices? I go to your competitor"[/COLOR]
It's not rocket science.

Here here!!!!!
I have seen too many of those sites, I bounce right off and go somewhere else. Sure there might be a better deal out there, or even there if I called, but when I am budgeting I don't want a sales pitch I want numbers I can work with.

Hold on... can you show me the price page on the website for the Hilton? It's one thing if you need to make a request and wait for email back and forth, it's another thing altogether if you can put in dates.
We all don't have even pricing over the year. I have seasons, events and festivals to plan for. I have a page with a minimum ballpark, but to be honest, it always depends on the day. I have some days that fall below the minimum price and heck of a lot that fall above it. And it depends on taking into account the day of the week as well. It's not so easy creating a price page.

Hold on... can you show me the price page on the website for the Hilton? It's one thing if you need to make a request and wait for email back and forth, it's another thing altogether if you can put in dates.
We all don't have even pricing over the year. I have seasons, events and festivals to plan for. I have a page with a minimum ballpark, but to be honest, it always depends on the day. I have some days that fall below the minimum price and heck of a lot that fall above it. And it depends on taking into account the day of the week as well. It's not so easy creating a price page..
I totally agree Eric, if you can put in a date and get a price, presto chango right then and there, great.
And I don't even mind the web sites that say put it in your shopping cart to see final price. That's all good.
But the sites where you have to send an email, wait three days to find out someplace had it on sale cheaper, that doesn't fly with me.
I am not talking wholesale places, or places where a reseller number is required to get the right price (ie Comphy sheets - they emailed me pricing within 2 hrs of opening their doors when I sent the email the night before at 10 pm), but sites where the general public goes and no special conditions apply.
Many appliance sites are like this, and so are many furniture sites. Tell me your best deal or tell me you will beat any deal I find, but don't tell me to email you and some robot will get back to me. Ahhhh no thanks

We all don't have even pricing over the year. I have seasons, events and festivals to plan for. I have a page with a minimum ballpark, but to be honest, it always depends on the day. I have some days that fall below the minimum price and heck of a lot that fall above it. And it depends on taking into account the day of the week as well. It's not so easy creating a price page..
I also have a range of prices. After I list the price, I added the text (check availability calendar for rates on specific dates)
As long as you make it clear on the site where to go for specific pricing, it's all good.

I was looking at getting the tablecloths the other day. Found a great restaurant supply website. No prices. Everything was 'call for pricing'. I understand they don't want retail sales but, hey, do they think a business person is going to waste time calling for prices when every other website gives them at least a clue what pricing they're looking at?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
We all don't have even pricing over the year. I have seasons, events and festivals to plan for. I have a page with a minimum ballpark, but to be honest, it always depends on the day. I have some days that fall below the minimum price and heck of a lot that fall above it. And it depends on taking into account the day of the week as well. It's not so easy creating a price page.
But at least you have a ballpark. Some places you have to call to find out. And, you know what they say, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it.' So I move on to the next website with prices.
I have a range and I state, 'Click here to check availability and the exact prices for your dates.' (Or something like that.) My range is pretty small. And I do have the prices broken down seasonally. (But there is still a range in case something big comes up and I want to raise prices.)

I was looking at getting the tablecloths the other day. Found a great restaurant supply website. No prices. Everything was 'call for pricing'. I understand they don't want retail sales but, hey, do they think a business person is going to waste time calling for prices when every other website gives them at least a clue what pricing they're looking at?.
Madeleine said:
I was looking at getting the tablecloths the other day. Found a great restaurant supply website. No prices. Everything was 'call for pricing'. I understand they don't want retail sales but, hey, do they think a business person is going to waste time calling for prices when every other website gives them at least a clue what pricing they're looking at?
Those are the sites that get my blood boiling, really does a business person have time to call? You just want information!
I am ok with call for volume discounts, or call for business and wholesale pricing, but please for heaven sake gimme a range.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
But at least you have a ballpark. Some places you have to call to find out. And, you know what they say, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it.' So I move on to the next website with prices.
I have a range and I state, 'Click here to check availability and the exact prices for your dates.' (Or something like that.) My range is pretty small. And I do have the prices broken down seasonally. (But there is still a range in case something big comes up and I want to raise prices.)
I list my normal lowest for the season with the caveat that rates may vary and that the price is based on a minimum two night stay. I also list the words "and up" next to each price. But to be honest, there is a lot of bounce in price. My favourite is when someone has left me with 3 days at $X per day and I want to rent all three, but someone could likely take two. Instead of changing the minimum stay to require 3, I recalculate... The rooms on either end become X-10 and the room in the middle becomes X+20, as an example. If they book all three nights, they get the same price, if they book 2, that gives me the $10 I need to discount the lone night.

mine you put the dates in you want with room type and how many nights and it tells you the exact price and then you can go on and book it or not as you like.

Here here!!!!!
I have seen too many of those sites, I bounce right off and go somewhere else. Sure there might be a better deal out there, or even there if I called, but when I am budgeting I don't want a sales pitch I want numbers I can work with..
To add another complaint about web sites, PLEASE PLEASE people check your flipping LINKS.
I have been doing research all day, right now I am up to about 25% of the links not working. I realize that sometimes links get broken when doing updates but if you want someone to buy your product make it easy for me.
I found products with links to the descriptions or the measurements broken all day, how can a person plan or buy if they don't know what it is, what it is made from, or the size.
OK I feel better now, just had to vent to someone who might actually care.
Not a big deal when it is one or two things but all darned day!!!! Sucks the life right out of you and makes me want to go to the Big Box stores to shop, at least their web masters are up on things about 90% of the time.

I travel a lot and have also ran into the same issue of finding what the exact price of staying somewhere. Bescover.com has a updated price range of Bed and Breakfasts nation wide.

Back