Eau de stink

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three hours into the cleaning I'm on the last load of wash. Had two washers and three dryers going. The room still smells, tho. The bedding is all fresh smelling now but I'm still getting the stench when i open the door to the room.
We're going to clean the carpet tomorrow.
Very thankful no one got up from the table during breakfast and left. I don't know how anyone could stand it..
Honestly Mort...you get the strangest guests. I couldn't even begin to make up the stuff you encounter every year. Really, there has to be a book in your experiences as an innkeeper!
cry_smile.gif

Tears came to my eyes trying to strip the room. Gomez doesn't smell it at all. The housekeeper could smell it down the hall. Everything is off the beds. Windows wide open, fans on, fingers crossed.
I might have to wash the actual duvets and not just the covers. Not sure what I'm going to do with the chairs.
Thank goodness no one checks into that room until Tues..
Oh so sorry you got this one! There was once a spray on - vacuum off product primarily for carpets, with baking soda in it. If that still exists it might be worth a try for the chairs. In the distant past I used to set shallow bowls with a small amt of bleach or vinegar in the bathroom to help dispel odors. That might help a bit given the time you have. Hugs.
And, they just cost me $200 as we had a walk-in we had to turn away because the room still reeks.
Here have another tissue and a hug….
sad_smile.gif
I always think of Joseph and Mary when I have to turn away walk ins…. It makes me feel real guilty and bad.
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
I always think of Joseph and Mary when I have to turn away walk ins…. It makes me feel real guilty and bad.
Only if she's pregnant. Then I feel badly. I found them another B&B with rooms for tonight. I'm off the hook.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
Only if she's pregnant. Then I feel badly. I found them another B&B with rooms for tonight. I'm off the hook.
With our inn name, it's their last chance if they are going through the list and calling everyone up.…. So they are desperate and I have to be firm and sweet when I feel like a big old meanie. Last weekend we had one lady calling us couple times a day to see if we had a cancelation yet.
Duff2014 said:
With our inn name, it's their last chance if they are going through the list and calling everyone up.…. So they are desperate and I have to be firm and sweet when I feel like a big old meanie. Last weekend we had one lady calling us couple times a day to see if we had a cancelation yet.
We are also alphabetically challenged. ;-) And, yes, I had one person call me everyday asking if I'd had a cancellation yet. Hey, people like us! I only made about $100 in cancel fees this year.

Three hours into the cleaning I'm on the last load of wash. Had two washers and three dryers going. The room still smells, tho. The bedding is all fresh smelling now but I'm still getting the stench when i open the door to the room.
We're going to clean the carpet tomorrow.
Very thankful no one got up from the table during breakfast and left. I don't know how anyone could stand it..
Honestly Mort...you get the strangest guests. I couldn't even begin to make up the stuff you encounter every year. Really, there has to be a book in your experiences as an innkeeper!
cry_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
cry_smile.gif
I've forgotten half the stuff that's happened! Or, it doesn't bother me anymore.
This is annoying because it's completely avoidable. I've still got fans running and windows open. I'm going to have to spray the dresser, too.

Tears came to my eyes trying to strip the room. Gomez doesn't smell it at all. The housekeeper could smell it down the hall. Everything is off the beds. Windows wide open, fans on, fingers crossed.
I might have to wash the actual duvets and not just the covers. Not sure what I'm going to do with the chairs.
Oh so sorry you got this one! There was once a spray on - vacuum off product primarily for carpets, with baking soda in it. If that still exists it might be worth a try for the chairs. In the distant past I used to set shallow bowls with a small amt of bleach or vinegar in the bathroom to help dispel odors. That might help a bit given the time you have. Hugs.
Health inspector has us make a sanitizer by putting a 1/4 teaspoon of bleach in a 32oz spray bottle or water, it is sprayed in bath on floor and fixtures, we also spray on or wipe counters with it. It does not seem like much bleach, but it does leave a clean odor or lack of odor in the rooms. I've also used it to spray or mist in the air to dispel odor.

Someone said that the vodka and water spray took odour off of clothes. Try that?
Or drink it
wink_smile.gif

Someone said that the vodka and water spray took odour off of clothes. Try that?
Or drink it
wink_smile.gif
It did not work on the sheets that way I expected it to. Still have wrinkles - maybe not as "hard wrinkle" as before.

Or drink it
wink_smile.gif
It did not work on the sheets that way I expected it to. Still have wrinkles - maybe not as "hard wrinkle" as before.
Toss in the dryer with a couple ice cubes. When the ice stop banging around remove. Check for wet spots if its a bottom sheet since an ice cube can get stuck in the pockets.

I just put the room back together. There is a slight whiff of 'damp clothes' but not very noticeable - I was sniffing for it! We cleaned the carpet yesterday - two big stains we're not sure what they were. I think the carpet cleaning and two days of open windows and fans running helped.
I spritzed some more of the orange citrus air freshener but that only last a few minutes before it disappears.

I just put the room back together. There is a slight whiff of 'damp clothes' but not very noticeable - I was sniffing for it! We cleaned the carpet yesterday - two big stains we're not sure what they were. I think the carpet cleaning and two days of open windows and fans running helped.
I spritzed some more of the orange citrus air freshener but that only last a few minutes before it disappears..
Kanberry gel...have you tried it? Tuck the open container away behind something and let it do its magic.

I spritzed some more of the orange citrus air freshener but that only last a few minutes before it disappears..
Kanberry gel...have you tried it? Tuck the open container away behind something and let it do its magic.
Silverspoon said:
I keep forgetting to order it.

And, they just cost me $200 as we had a walk-in we had to turn away because the room still reeks.
sad_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
We are also alphabetically challenged. ;-) And, yes, I had one person call me everyday asking if I'd had a cancellation yet. Hey, people like us! I only made about $100 in cancel fees this year.
It's the Breakfast Dance….
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
I keep forgetting to order it.
I keep the containers and ordered the big bag of stuff to refill them each season. It works!

Back