Eau de stink

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
During breakfast I walked past a guest room and was pulled up short by the absolute stink I smelled in the hallway. When I came back it was worse. All I could think was their luggage must have gotten soaked and they hadn't had a chance to dry it out. I made a note to check the room during cleanup. Then the guest came to breakfast. Oh dear. My guess is the person is sleeping in the same clothes they are wearing and has been doing so for a week.
Tomorrow the entire room will need to be stripped. The bedding is awful. I don't know how the person can stand it.

They do not smell themselves. It is their normal.Like the ladies who take a bath in perfume - they have no clue they are reeking.
A fox does not smell his own hole. (home)

Several summers ago we had a couple in for 7 nights, the smell nearly knocked me flat what I opened the door.
It took weeks to get rid of the smell from the room, luckily no one else complained about it, but we could smell it every time we went in the room.

Several summers ago we had a couple in for 7 nights, the smell nearly knocked me flat what I opened the door.
It took weeks to get rid of the smell from the room, luckily no one else complained about it, but we could smell it every time we went in the room..
I'm going to hit it with that orange citrus stuff after they leave. Luckily, no one in there tomorrow so I can strip the whole room.

It took weeks to get rid of the smell from the room, luckily no one else complained about it, but we could smell it every time we went in the room..
I'm going to hit it with that orange citrus stuff after they leave. Luckily, no one in there tomorrow so I can strip the whole room.
Ozone generator comes in handy in such cases for removing odors

JimBoone said:
We keep saying we should buy one. 12 years. No ozonator yet!

Memory is a power thing, sometimes when the scent is still gone, your memory kicks in and fills it in, even if it isn't there anymore.

JimBoone said:
Some years back a friend loaned me one a few times, he was in the used car business and used it to clean odors from vehicles, always intended to purchase one, but didn't take that step until this summer, saw one advertised on myamtex.com for much less than I had seen them in the past. I've only used it a few times, but like it so far.

JimBoone said:
Ozonator can destroy plastics be careful

Tears came to my eyes trying to strip the room. Gomez doesn't smell it at all. The housekeeper could smell it down the hall. Everything is off the beds. Windows wide open, fans on, fingers crossed.
I might have to wash the actual duvets and not just the covers. Not sure what I'm going to do with the chairs.
Thank goodness no one checks into that room until Tues.

Three hours into the cleaning I'm on the last load of wash. Had two washers and three dryers going. The room still smells, tho. The bedding is all fresh smelling now but I'm still getting the stench when i open the door to the room.
We're going to clean the carpet tomorrow.
Very thankful no one got up from the table during breakfast and left. I don't know how anyone could stand it.

Tears came to my eyes trying to strip the room. Gomez doesn't smell it at all. The housekeeper could smell it down the hall. Everything is off the beds. Windows wide open, fans on, fingers crossed.
I might have to wash the actual duvets and not just the covers. Not sure what I'm going to do with the chairs.
Thank goodness no one checks into that room until Tues..
Oh so sorry you got this one! There was once a spray on - vacuum off product primarily for carpets, with baking soda in it. If that still exists it might be worth a try for the chairs. In the distant past I used to set shallow bowls with a small amt of bleach or vinegar in the bathroom to help dispel odors. That might help a bit given the time you have. Hugs.

Yikes! What a lot of work for one booking! I am so sorry you got tagged with this one.
Don't forget to put them on the DNB list.

I had a lady stay a couple of months ago who checked in wearing a sundress. Nothing odd until I noticed her entire upper back was red and peeling. Flakes EVERYWHERE!
They checked out (one nighter) and left their towels in a pile on the bathroom floor. When I picked up the pile there was a mountain of skin flakes underneath. Flakes were on the nightstand, on the stairs, on the dresser, all over the bathroom, on the front porch and of course, the bedding was loaded. DH and I carried the bedding outside to shake it out before laundering.
After running Roomba, regular vacuuming, swiffering and mopping I was still finding flakes.
What makes people with this kind of condition decide going to a B&B is a good idea???Ugh! I am still so grossed out!

Glad to hear that you have time to air it out. You could do the pet care spray or powder on the chairs and vacuum it down. I'm glad you had polite and well balanced guests who didn't make a scene in the dining room. At least they now know the smell in the hall isn't from the house.

Oh so sorry you got this one! There was once a spray on - vacuum off product primarily for carpets, with baking soda in it. If that still exists it might be worth a try for the chairs. In the distant past I used to set shallow bowls with a small amt of bleach or vinegar in the bathroom to help dispel odors. That might help a bit given the time you have. Hugs.
And, they just cost me $200 as we had a walk-in we had to turn away because the room still reeks.

I had a lady stay a couple of months ago who checked in wearing a sundress. Nothing odd until I noticed her entire upper back was red and peeling. Flakes EVERYWHERE!
They checked out (one nighter) and left their towels in a pile on the bathroom floor. When I picked up the pile there was a mountain of skin flakes underneath. Flakes were on the nightstand, on the stairs, on the dresser, all over the bathroom, on the front porch and of course, the bedding was loaded. DH and I carried the bedding outside to shake it out before laundering.
After running Roomba, regular vacuuming, swiffering and mopping I was still finding flakes.
What makes people with this kind of condition decide going to a B&B is a good idea???Ugh! I am still so grossed out!
I had to have treatment for skin cancer 14 years ago. It was essentially a deep skin peel that I had to do for 2 weeks, at home, on my own. I looked like I had a cross between a wicked sunburn and chicken pox. The skin was literally falling off my face. I had to brush off my clothes all the time. It wasn't pleasant for me, either. But I couldn't not go to work or hide in the house. I bet she wasn't happy with how her skin looked or felt, either. Maybe it was a bad sunburn. Maybe it's a permanent skin condition.
My folks just needed to wash their damn clothes! Nothing permanent about their problem.

And, they just cost me $200 as we had a walk-in we had to turn away because the room still reeks.
Here have another tissue and a hug….
sad_smile.gif
I always think of Joseph and Mary when I have to turn away walk ins…. It makes me feel real guilty and bad.

sad_smile.gif
I always think of Joseph and Mary when I have to turn away walk ins…. It makes me feel real guilty and bad.
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
Only if she's pregnant. Then I feel badly. I found them another B&B with rooms for tonight. I'm off the hook.

sad_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
Only if she's pregnant. Then I feel badly. I found them another B&B with rooms for tonight. I'm off the hook.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
sad_smile.gif
With our inn name, it's their last chance if they are going through the list and calling everyone up.…. So they are desperate and I have to be firm and sweet when I feel like a big old meanie. Last weekend we had one lady calling us couple times a day to see if we had a cancelation yet.

Back