Ecommerce part of the site - Who to use???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
Are we allowed to mention the services or should I keep it vague?
Ideally it needs to be as automated as possible so do you use the recommended credit card processor as it probably is the most seemless solution?
Have you sought out your own? Do you need to do a full checkout and card capture? This can provide a better rate with some processors.
A processor who knows the industry might be able to give better rates, this assumes are industry is a good risk. :)
I am assuming there are a million solutions but probably a couple that stick out as the easiest/best. My partner has his opinions but there is also a new rule that makes his old solution less desirable.
Thanks.

Are you talking about having the ability to buy something on your site? VS running the credit card on arrival? Or running the card when the rez is made?
I think someone on here has an automatic setup where the guest makes the rez online thru the calendar and their card gets run all in the same transaction. If you're starting out, that would be the way to go.

It all depends on how you want to process your charges. If you want it to be automaticly done, there are a couple of online booking systems that will process the charges for you as well. (as Mort mentioned)
Or check out several different Merchant Service companies. It is best to get one quote and see how they provide you with the info, then get others so you can make a spread sheet to compare them. They ALL have different ways to provide the data and some do their best to hide some of their charges. They do have a little wiggle room in their CC rates but usually the ones that are lower in that have higher transaction fees (fees per item, per batch, etc.) then there is a statement fee, etc.
The most important item is the SERVICE. You want to be able to get someone IF you need them!!!!
And just like I do with other services, I call every once in a while (for this it is every 6 months) and ask if there is any way to lower my rates. Sometimes it is yes, other times no but it does not hurt...What's 5-10 minutes of my time if it saves me some $$. I have done this with my long distance, my phone co., and cable - all without changing providers - usually once a year for all these.

Great advice. sorry I was not more active on this thread. We are looking at using a reservation system and then using their preferred cc company. HOPEFULLY it will work well together. I was pretty sure we would use the system my partner used to use as why re invent the wheel? He liked it, he is just worried about some changes that we would have to make to how we take deposits etc. I took a great idea from the board here and showed him so we are going to folllow that cancellation/booking policy. :)
This board is great.

Back