Economic cuts at your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
What is one thing you have cut back on with everything going up around you?
The cost of breakfast has nearly doubled for us. Milk $4 a gallon, Eggs $2.50 an 18 pack, everything is up, propane to cook.
For us it was real maple syrup. That is a very costly item - and it pours so fast guests use it double or triple what they do non-real-maple syrup. I hated to do it, as it is a real treat (to me). But it is gone.

Nothing yet. Perhaps I'll be cutting back on some of the freebies that I've been doing. For instance, wedding night guests that don't buy a package - I've been putting a half dozen roses in the room, a box of chocolates, a card, and some non-alcoholic sparkling beverage. I'll have to think on this. hmmmmm.....

Nothing yet. Perhaps I'll be cutting back on some of the freebies that I've been doing. For instance, wedding night guests that don't buy a package - I've been putting a half dozen roses in the room, a box of chocolates, a card, and some non-alcoholic sparkling beverage. I'll have to think on this. hmmmmm......
WOah!!! Roses and a BOX of chocolate and they aren't buying a package???? I think I would strongly reconsider that one.
A nice card, and sparkling cider, a little special cake and maybe a few silk petals on the bed is all I did for freebies and they were always very happy with that:)

Nothing yet. Perhaps I'll be cutting back on some of the freebies that I've been doing. For instance, wedding night guests that don't buy a package - I've been putting a half dozen roses in the room, a box of chocolates, a card, and some non-alcoholic sparkling beverage. I'll have to think on this. hmmmmm......
WOah!!! Roses and a BOX of chocolate and they aren't buying a package???? I think I would strongly reconsider that one.
A nice card, and sparkling cider, a little special cake and maybe a few silk petals on the bed is all I did for freebies and they were always very happy with that:)
$4-6 for roses at WalMart. The chocolates I pick up on really good sales for like $2. Not that big a deal :) It's their wedding night!!! I guess I want it to be special & the folks I'm talking about don't have a lot of $$$.

$4-6 for roses at WalMart. The chocolates I pick up on really good sales for like $2. Not that big a deal :) It's their wedding night!!! I guess I want it to be special & the folks I'm talking about don't have a lot of $$$.
That is very sweet and kind of you to do it:) But if push comes to shove..you do know where you can cut back.

As far as extras like that, if they are here TWO nights (I made this my only personal policy), then I give them the anniversary chocolates. Not the same one they would get if they purchased them tho. I fgure the cost is spread out over the two nights more effectively.
Wedding nights I give a card. Of which they have 10 million, but this can go in their album to look at next year on their anniv.
Remember my rates people. If the room is $115 and then they get a $10 book online discount...$105. and if it is a gc, then EE GAD!
Oh I have the made locally candles that I give them ONE OF as well ont heir way out at check out (I don't want it burning in the room). But these are only if I really like them. My prerogative to like or not like individuals.
regular_smile.gif

As far as extras like that, if they are here TWO nights (I made this my only personal policy), then I give them the anniversary chocolates. Not the same one they would get if they purchased them tho. I fgure the cost is spread out over the two nights more effectively.
Wedding nights I give a card. Of which they have 10 million, but this can go in their album to look at next year on their anniv.
Remember my rates people. If the room is $115 and then they get a $10 book online discount...$105. and if it is a gc, then EE GAD!
Oh I have the made locally candles that I give them ONE OF as well ont heir way out at check out (I don't want it burning in the room). But these are only if I really like them. My prerogative to like or not like individuals.
regular_smile.gif
Good idea on the 2 night thing, that is a very good point. I should think like that!! The other thing about these wedding nights is that they never take the flowers with them so I usually can "recycle" them in the rooms
teeth_smile.gif

On my packages, no one ever takes their flowers with them either...I have a beautiful dozen red roses in my check in area right now.

Wow!! If only I could find milk for $4/gallon and 18-pack of eggs for $2.50!!! Eggs here are $3.00 for just a dozen and milk is just over the $5/gallon. I've not cut anything back on the guest services, ingredients, or amenities. I just can't cut back there. One thing we pride ourselves on is quality of the foods and ingredients we serve. I just have to have real maple syrup, real butter, real cheeses, premium coffees, etc. I have cut way back what I might spend for personal items (for me), and I've stopped cooking high cost meals when cooking just for myself. Sometimes, I'm happy with just a bowl of cereal for dinner, really. I have noticed a substantial increase in food costs. Everything is tied to the price of fuel and trucking goods to the grocery store.
Fortunately, being in the city through which most, if not all, cut flowers enter the country, I can buy fresh long stem roses on just about any street corner for $3 to $5 a dozen (and sometimes I get TWO dozen for that price), yes THREE to FIVE DOLLARS. So, I tend to have fresh flowers everywhere when we have guests.

regular_smile.gif
Good idea on the 2 night thing, that is a very good point. I should think like that!! The other thing about these wedding nights is that they never take the flowers with them so I usually can "recycle" them in the rooms
teeth_smile.gif

On my packages, no one ever takes their flowers with them either...I have a beautiful dozen red roses in my check in area right now.
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

That is a good cost effective thing right there! To be able to split up the bouquet for other rooms. I love it when guests leave flowers. Esp ones they bought for a package. Have not had many of them lately tho...I need to get some pics on line. Maybe I should just take pics of them AT the store - like in bulk, like a farmer's market shot.

regular_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
My 'anniversary/wedding/birthday' chocolates are $2 at the local candy factory. IF a guest tells me it is a special event, I give them that with a card from us. (Nice memento/marketing device...it's a picture of the inn with our info inside!)
The past couple of days we've had long-time repeats who are getting the coffee mugs as a 'thank you'. I'm on the last box now. I may order more even tho they don't sell. I think it's a great opportunity to thank guests for returning and they didn't cost that much to buy. That mug on someone's office desk is a constant reminder to them of a place to recommend to a friend.

Is there a way you can serve the real syrup so it doesn't get dumped onto the plates like it's water?
We have the clear syrup pitchers and even at a table of 4 (with kids) I always have at least 1/4 of the pitcher left. I know you said you want them to know it's the real thing, but you could SAY that as you place it on the table...'We're very proud of our locally produced maple syrup.' (Or whatever.)
Here, it's a running joke...guests always ask, 'So is this real Vermont maple syrup?' Ha, ha. I guarantee the VT guests will ask this question. The ME guests always ask if it's 'real Maine maple syrup'. NH guests don't care.

Do special things that do not cost, but make it a special time.
Breakfast served in room on round table at time of choice, Fancy!(as my Grandchildren would say)
Allowing belongings to be brought out before service, can pick up key then.
Hiding their car. In Iowa the Bride and Grooms car sometimes gets decorated by friends.
The list can go on, special things that do not cost money.

I ALWAYS have Maine maple syrup on the table, as well as the imitation ... when we serve something calling for syrup. i use the little jugs that i refill ... from maine maple products. i don't heat the syrup ... i take it out of the fridge two hours ahead. this might make it slower without making it frigid? no complaints of it being cold and no big puddles of syrup to toss. try this?
most guests are delighted that we have the real thing ... and yes, the vermonters laugh about the maine syrup but, they say, at least it's the real deal. i buy the gallons direct from the company along with my jams and jellies. the most economical way to go.
oh, and if you can get delivery from a place that is already coming to your area, the delivery is included in the price which is awesome!

I ALWAYS have Maine maple syrup on the table, as well as the imitation ... when we serve something calling for syrup. i use the little jugs that i refill ... from maine maple products. i don't heat the syrup ... i take it out of the fridge two hours ahead. this might make it slower without making it frigid? no complaints of it being cold and no big puddles of syrup to toss. try this?
most guests are delighted that we have the real thing ... and yes, the vermonters laugh about the maine syrup but, they say, at least it's the real deal. i buy the gallons direct from the company along with my jams and jellies. the most economical way to go.
oh, and if you can get delivery from a place that is already coming to your area, the delivery is included in the price which is awesome!.
where have i cut corners?
i don't put out individual boxes of cereal any more ... i put out the regular family size they can pour from
now, no more taking boxes of cereal 'for later'.
i also do fruit plates instead of self serve ... same thing ... unless i have just a couple guests, folks would take an apple, an orange, a banana as a snack for later. now i cut up and plate the fruit.
i didn't realize that it was seen as an 'all you can eat' kind of thing by having these things out.

I still serve real Ohio maple syrup... $10 from the Amish. Eggs are $1.25 - $1.75, and milk's finally below $3/gallon again. Fresh roses... not so cheap, but it's nice to live at the source as far as food is concerned!
The cost cutting measure I want to do is some sort of drinking water not in the individual bottles. No luck finding an acceptable replacement so far, but I haven't really been looking that hard.
=)
Kk.

I still serve real Ohio maple syrup... $10 from the Amish. Eggs are $1.25 - $1.75, and milk's finally below $3/gallon again. Fresh roses... not so cheap, but it's nice to live at the source as far as food is concerned!
The cost cutting measure I want to do is some sort of drinking water not in the individual bottles. No luck finding an acceptable replacement so far, but I haven't really been looking that hard.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
The cost cutting measure I want to do is some sort of drinking water not in the individual bottles.
We have replaced our individual bottled waters with a large spring water dispenser in the guest library and setups in the rooms of carafes, glasses and a small ice bucket. These ice buckets are the cutest things...but I digress. The dispenser actually costs a little more in total than the individual bottled waters, but we have cut down significantly on our recycling output since we went that direction.

I don't know if this would be helpful, but when we were in Rockland we stopped at Maine Gold and in their catalog they state " Free shipping on orders over $25".

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
The cost cutting measure I want to do is some sort of drinking water not in the individual bottles.
We have replaced our individual bottled waters with a large spring water dispenser in the guest library and setups in the rooms of carafes, glasses and a small ice bucket. These ice buckets are the cutest things...but I digress. The dispenser actually costs a little more in total than the individual bottled waters, but we have cut down significantly on our recycling output since we went that direction.
muirford said:
YellowSocks said:
I believe you have the same company as I. You only pay for bottles as you need them with no delivery fee, so it is a really good deal. Over the winter when we have fewer guests we just pay the rental fee for the unit. Distilled water is the best for you, and guests can drink as much as they like! But I think they use less, as they are not compulsive about TAKING the others for later.
Again, we love to service our guests while they are with us. Not to continue down the road of their vacation. I told ya'll when I stocked the guest fridge with indiv bottles guests would take 4 a-piece for a hike. Nice for them! Nice we could help out. DOH!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
muirford said:
YellowSocks said:
I believe you have the same company as I. You only pay for bottles as you need them with no delivery fee, so it is a really good deal. Over the winter when we have fewer guests we just pay the rental fee for the unit. Distilled water is the best for you, and guests can drink as much as they like! But I think they use less, as they are not compulsive about TAKING the others for later.
Again, we love to service our guests while they are with us. Not to continue down the road of their vacation. I told ya'll when I stocked the guest fridge with indiv bottles guests would take 4 a-piece for a hike. Nice for them! Nice we could help out. DOH!
When we were at the cabin at a lake recently and would go for a walk - every kid grabbed a bottle of water.
I told them, LOOK - YOU ARE GOING FOR A WALK, ON A PAVED ROAD NEAR THE RANGER STATION. YOU ARE GOING TO TURN AROUND AND WALK BACK HERE. WHY CARRY THEM! YOU CAN GET A DRINK THE SECOND YOU WALK IN THE DOOR (well water instead of some chlorinated plastic).
I am not sure if there is or are articles written about the addiicton to tiny bottles of water, I would like to write one! You really won't DIE if you go on a 15 minute walk in 80 degrees, really. I promise.

Back