Economic cuts at your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how you guys package your chocolates, but here in my area, we have Aldi's stores. They clearance Belgium truffles for less than $2 for a package of 16. We get some nice boxes from www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com and make our own truffle packages. Costs a lot less than some other alternatives.
Do you all package them yourselves or do you buy the ready-made boxes of chocolates?

I don't know how you guys package your chocolates, but here in my area, we have Aldi's stores. They clearance Belgium truffles for less than $2 for a package of 16. We get some nice boxes from www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com and make our own truffle packages. Costs a lot less than some other alternatives.
Do you all package them yourselves or do you buy the ready-made boxes of chocolates?.
We have Aldi, but I haven't seen the truffles. I'll look again... that sounds great!
How do you package them?
I've been using Almond Roca from Wally World because they're cheaper than Ferraro Rocher's (unless I find them on clearance) but they're individually wrapped in gold foil.
=)
Kk.

Do you all package them yourselves or do you buy the ready-made boxes of chocolates?.
We have Aldi, but I haven't seen the truffles. I'll look again... that sounds great!
How do you package them?
I've been using Almond Roca from Wally World because they're cheaper than Ferraro Rocher's (unless I find them on clearance) but they're individually wrapped in gold foil.
=)
Kk.
If you go to www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com, look around their site. I found them when I started my own Jam/Jelly making business. I could get their clear glass jars with smooth sides for 30% less than Golden Harvest or Bell jars and my labels would come right off the smooth sides. They have a great offering for a lot of different things. They cater to the small business owner who makes their own things: candles, soaps, candies...that sort of thing.
From their front page, go to "Packages/Containers". Then click on "Boxes-Soap & Gift". Be sure to look at all they have to offer and be prepared to "think outside the box"...yuk, yuk, yuk.
tounge_smile.gif

Sometimes, we need to look at things to see how we can make them work for us instead of only buying what has worked for us and really paying for it!!
They usually have the gold or silver foil boxes for $2.50 for 4 boxes. You can get different sizes or colors and fit in what you would like. That would be $.63/box plus clearance truffles. Much cheaper than some other things out there!!!

How do you package them?
=)
Kk.
I try to have chocolates that don't have nuts for the folks with nut allergies. The new FourBucks (or is it FiveBucks now?) truffles are dee-lish btw & they have them at WM at a very good price. Also, the Toblerone minis are cute & you can get them in an assortment. Nice to mix it up a bit, especially for multiple night stays.
teeth_smile.gif

How do you package them?
=)
Kk.
I try to have chocolates that don't have nuts for the folks with nut allergies. The new FourBucks (or is it FiveBucks now?) truffles are dee-lish btw & they have them at WM at a very good price. Also, the Toblerone minis are cute & you can get them in an assortment. Nice to mix it up a bit, especially for multiple night stays.
teeth_smile.gif

Do you do chocolates every night or only for the packages?

How do you package them?
=)
Kk.
teeth_smile.gif

Do you do chocolates every night or only for the packages?
Turn down chocolates every night in the rooms (Ghirardelli, Toblerone, those 5Bucks truffles, Lindor, something along those lines). I have a package with chocolate dipped strawberries (fine chocolates if I can't find strawberries). I will buy small boxes of chocolates or truffles ($2 range) to leave in a room for a special occasion as a gift from us with a card from the Dollar Store. We have a shop nearby that sells hand dipped truffles that I can pick up for a really special package, if requested.

I ALWAYS have Maine maple syrup on the table, as well as the imitation ... when we serve something calling for syrup. i use the little jugs that i refill ... from maine maple products. i don't heat the syrup ... i take it out of the fridge two hours ahead. this might make it slower without making it frigid? no complaints of it being cold and no big puddles of syrup to toss. try this?
most guests are delighted that we have the real thing ... and yes, the vermonters laugh about the maine syrup but, they say, at least it's the real deal. i buy the gallons direct from the company along with my jams and jellies. the most economical way to go.
oh, and if you can get delivery from a place that is already coming to your area, the delivery is included in the price which is awesome!.
My WV maple syrup has gone up in price. It was $15 per half gallon and last time I bought it was $16. I buy the half gallon because it fits in the refrigerator better (gal. is too big) I have no idea what the shipping would be as the relatives bring it home with them and deliver it to me free. I also do not heat it. I just pour it into a bottle with a "bail" top (old-fashioned) and put that on the table.
I have not stopped doing anything. I have always used powdered milk when cooking or baking. I have (I admit) used a few more whole eggs in an egg bake than usual - I look atthe guests and wonder just how much difference this breakfast is going to make as they wolf down the burgers & fries at lunch. We rarely run the A/C if it is just us..... that is the kind of belt tightening we have done that I can think of.

As of now we have not changed anything in our business, not even our prices. We do combine more of our trips out and go to the market every 2-3 days instead of every day for fresh produce.
Yes, breakfast prices are up, DH and I have mentioned this each time we shop. But the biggest chunk out of the pocket has been our electric bill this summer. For those of you not affected by A/C needs, take note to save up now for your winter heat bill, it is going to take a bite out of your wallet.
Oh and we just had a farmer stay here this past week and he reported that farm fuel have more than doubled this year and a lot of farmers have changed their cops to corn. Due to these (and other) reasons, be prepared for produce to skyrocket in the next few months.

Yeah for Aldi's! we have one too. They sell great boquets of flowers for just $2.99, roses too. They always are fresh and last.

Yeah for Aldi's! we have one too. They sell great boquets of flowers for just $2.99, roses too. They always are fresh and last.
Their flowers, when they have them, are great! I also like their wines...not cheap wine, but inexpensive. Sometimes, you can get really great deals on closeout chocolates and candies. I'm not a fan of their cheeses, but living in Amish country, one gets used to good cheese!! I also like when they do a buyout of Wisk detergent...you can buy it super cheap compared to Walmart.

As of now we have not changed anything in our business, not even our prices. We do combine more of our trips out and go to the market every 2-3 days instead of every day for fresh produce.
Yes, breakfast prices are up, DH and I have mentioned this each time we shop. But the biggest chunk out of the pocket has been our electric bill this summer. For those of you not affected by A/C needs, take note to save up now for your winter heat bill, it is going to take a bite out of your wallet.
Oh and we just had a farmer stay here this past week and he reported that farm fuel have more than doubled this year and a lot of farmers have changed their cops to corn. Due to these (and other) reasons, be prepared for produce to skyrocket in the next few months..
I hear you about the electric bill & A/C! $450 for our larger house & $250 for the smaller one last month. That is up about 30% over last year (of course, we didn't have guests last year). I'm dreading this next bill for July (although it was hideously hot here in June, too).
I'm afraid that our heating costs will be up as well :-(

Oh and we just had a farmer stay here this past week and he reported that farm fuel have more than doubled this year and a lot of farmers have changed their cops to corn. Due to these (and other) reasons, be prepared for produce to skyrocket in the next few months..
I hear you about the electric bill & A/C! $450 for our larger house & $250 for the smaller one last month. That is up about 30% over last year (of course, we didn't have guests last year). I'm dreading this next bill for July (although it was hideously hot here in June, too).
I'm afraid that our heating costs will be up as well :-(
Having just spent $ 12 K on new heat pumps that are really energy efficient..but run on electricity...I am holding my breath to see what our next bill brings and then the heating season approaches. We did keep our old fuel oil burner as a back up. Still works fine..we just don't want to pay for all that fuel!!! But in an emergency, the old one is run through our generator and can heat the house..whereas we cannot put the new heatpumps on our generator.

CL I understand. All the new stuff is great, but there cannot be enough said about the ole' faithful things we lived with all these years.
Mine is the traditional land phone lines. I have been tempted to switch over to our cable company or go with an internet phone service. My issue is this, if power is lost due to a major storm we normally have our phone service which keeps the business running (at least future business).

CL I understand. All the new stuff is great, but there cannot be enough said about the ole' faithful things we lived with all these years.
Mine is the traditional land phone lines. I have been tempted to switch over to our cable company or go with an internet phone service. My issue is this, if power is lost due to a major storm we normally have our phone service which keeps the business running (at least future business)..
Good point - I hadn't thought of that. Do they have call forwarding? Although we are on a traditional land line, all apart from one phone still need an electical outlet, so whenever I know there's a great, big storm coming, I forward the phone to my cell phone. That way I can tuck it in my pocket and forge ahead.

Mine is the traditional land phone lines. I have been tempted to switch over to our cable company or go with an internet phone service. My issue is this, if power is lost due to a major storm we normally have our phone service which keeps the business running (at least future business)..
Good point - I hadn't thought of that. Do they have call forwarding? Although we are on a traditional land line, all apart from one phone still need an electical outlet, so whenever I know there's a great, big storm coming, I forward the phone to my cell phone. That way I can tuck it in my pocket and forge ahead.
Me too (forward the phone when a storm is coming).
=)
Kk.

Yes call forwarding is included with these other services. And forwarding to your cell phone would work for most (99%) of these storm situations. I just experienced the 1% of the time it did not work. All the cell towers in the local area lost back up power or were destroyed so Cell phones did not work for over a week or more. I was fortunate to be in a small pocket area that had land line phones. Saved my sanity (the little I have
wink_smile.gif
).

There are times (usually when I am paying bills) that I contemplate simply getting rid of the land lines and using the cell for everything. I already use it for all my outgoing calls. The only thing that would really be impacted would be guests trying to call out for dinner reservations or whatever. They wouldn't be able to call out from their room phones anymore.

Back