Editorial Inquiry -- America's Bed & Breakfast Guidebook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Did you all get this?
Dear Innkeeper,
My name is Alicia Kachmar. I'm a project manager at a New York City-based publishing company that specializes in leisure and travel-related guidebooks.
We are currently putting together a guide to Bed & Breakfasts in America ($50 or $25 SRP).
I believe that your venue may qualify for inclusion in our publication. There is no fee to participate; we only ask that you extend a small discount to anyone who books one or more nights at your Inn through our program.
If you are selected for inclusion, you will be featured at no cost, now or later:
1. in our publications (with a description of your activities & a photo) distributed through selected retailers, catalogs, and corporate clients (such as American Express, Condé Nast Publications, or Time Warner Cable), and;
2. on our new online leisure-planning platform.
Here is a little more about how the pricing works: In each giftybox (complete with the guidebook) comes four certificates: for rooms at $100-150 per night, they will be valued at $25, and for rooms above $150 a night, they will be valued at $50. Once the customer "activates" the first certificate, i.e. pays for their B&B stay, the rest of the certificates will be good for one year from that activation date.
The book, as well as the listings on the site, should "go to print" at the end of this year and will hit the shelves in 2010. You can peruse the other titles on the giftybox site, however, to get a sense of how it all works.
To find out more or apply to be featured in our upcoming print and online editions, and become a Trusted Service Provider, please visit: giftybox. com/trusted_providers
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact me at the number provided below.
Thank you for your time.
Best regards,
Project Manager Giftybox
224 Centre Street
3rd Floor
10013 New York, NY
Phone: 646-327-9614
www.giftybox.com sogifty .com

Sound just like another "gimmick" to me
rolleyes.gif

I deleted it. I also got a phone call about it. First, I tried JBJ's tactic and said I'd give the message to the owner. Guy caught me the next day when I answered with my name. haha!

I deleted it. I won't participate in any program that doesn't allow me to use black out dates or set my own guidelines.

None of my guests use guide books. THey are a thing of the past.
Riki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
There's the little thing that they call the "Internet" that's replaced guidebooks.
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
Riki
There's the little thing that they call the "Internet" that's replaced guidebooks.
Yep that's my point. They also use their iphones driving along or at work to source information.
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I just made a res for a lady who has a BOGO from I Love Inns book. To top it off she told me that the company sent her "several" more BOGO certificates. I hope that doesn't get to be public knowledge. The cost of the book is pretty negligible with that sort of a reward!

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
That's not quite true across the board. It may very well be area dependent. We're in a lot of tour guides and we do get quite a number of guests using them for advance reservations as well as walk-in. Just doing a quick check, those bookings work out to be around 8-10% advance bookings. (I don't track the walk-ins and how they found us, altho I probably should.)
So, for us, they do work.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Generally that true, but there are some exceptions. We get a lot of bookings fromt he book Best Places to Kiss in the Northwest. I believe they have these books for many different areas of the country.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I just made a res for a lady who has a BOGO from I Love Inns book. To top it off she told me that the company sent her "several" more BOGO certificates. I hope that doesn't get to be public knowledge. The cost of the book is pretty negligible with that sort of a reward!
And those people think that ILoveInns is paying for the second night! They don't realize that it's the innkeeper that is giving you the second night FREE!
I don't participate in that program.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
And those people think that ILoveInns is paying for the second night! They don't realize that it's the innkeeper that is giving you the second night FREE!
Samster said:
I take great pleasure in letting people KNOW that little known fact, they hand a certificate to the innkeeper assuming he/she will mail it in to iloveinns who is "giving away" these free nights. They have NO IDEA that the inn is giving them the free night, the INN shoudl get the kudos, the INN should get the great review, the INN should get the gratuity. :)

Riki.
We did that Treasure of (whatever state you're in). I'm still trying to sell the books I had to buy for that. Luckily they've gone out of business now. I feel sorry for the people that paid and never even had the books printed.

Riki.
We did that Treasure of (whatever state you're in). I'm still trying to sell the books I had to buy for that. Luckily they've gone out of business now. I feel sorry for the people that paid and never even had the books printed.
SweetiePie said:
We've never paid to be included in a book.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I still get quite a few referals from the guidbooks such as Lonely Planets, Best Places, Fodors and Frommers. I even had someone carrying around a 25 year old bed and breakfast book that had us listed in it. Although the internet has taken over that is for sure there are still some peopel using the guidebooks and the best thing about those ones I listed is that they are free!

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I still get quite a few referals from the guidbooks such as Lonely Planets, Best Places, Fodors and Frommers. I even had someone carrying around a 25 year old bed and breakfast book that had us listed in it. Although the internet has taken over that is for sure there are still some peopel using the guidebooks and the best thing about those ones I listed is that they are free!
oceans said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Yes there are some still being used but I think they are those who have been around for a time. Any new guide book gets a delete from me as they are usually scams or ignorant.
Riki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
oceans said:
egoodell said:
Riki
Oceans how are you? We have missed you on the forum.

Back