Educate your customers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Educate your customers
If you are the best, or if you have a great story, then the more the prospect knows, the greater the chances they will become a customer.
How are you educating your prospects?
JB- this is a great topic for us, given the PAII push to let the world know about a Better Way to Stay, and those of us who write articles or have elements on our websites WHAT IS A B&B, or HOW IS A B&B DIFFERENT TO A HOTEL, Or WHAT TO EXPECT AT A B&B...it's all good! Many of us report we have first time B&B goers...hopefully that means first timers and lifers, not first and only timers. :)
from here

This morning's guests found us via their phone. One of them is a website designer. Well, there they were, captive audience, so I asked- what do you loook for when you are searching a B&B website? First and foremost was: is it easy to find the info I need? (And that info is? Availability. Price. Photos of rooms. In that order.) Is the website organized? This couple wouldn't keep searching on a site to find things they need to know, they would move on.
What they didn't really care about? Hate to say this out loud- they did not care what they website looked like as long as the info was easy to find.
So, for those into redesign- concentrate on the info, make sure you have photos, make sure the price can be found and, most importantly, make sure the guest can find out if you even have rooms open before they call. They did not want to waste time.

This morning's guests found us via their phone. One of them is a website designer. Well, there they were, captive audience, so I asked- what do you loook for when you are searching a B&B website? First and foremost was: is it easy to find the info I need? (And that info is? Availability. Price. Photos of rooms. In that order.) Is the website organized? This couple wouldn't keep searching on a site to find things they need to know, they would move on.
What they didn't really care about? Hate to say this out loud- they did not care what they website looked like as long as the info was easy to find.
So, for those into redesign- concentrate on the info, make sure you have photos, make sure the price can be found and, most importantly, make sure the guest can find out if you even have rooms open before they call. They did not want to waste time..
Alibi Ike said:
I really think that's true - who cares if you have a fancy fabric-like background or rounded tabs? Except for one thing - the photos have to be good. If the website looks crappy because the photos are too dark, or distorted, or too small, nothing will keep people interested.

So, for those into redesign- concentrate on the info, make sure you have photos, make sure the price can be found and, most importantly, make sure the guest can find out if you even have rooms open before they call. They did not want to waste time..
Alibi Ike said:
I really think that's true - who cares if you have a fancy fabric-like background or rounded tabs? Except for one thing - the photos have to be good. If the website looks crappy because the photos are too dark, or distorted, or too small, nothing will keep people interested.
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
The website snobs, as they called them. I guess like wine snobs who won't drink something that isnt' absolutely perfect. I am guilty of coveting a beautiful website but a homemade one doesn't always turn me away. One where I can't find anything will. I have the attention span of a gnat.

We should do the website challenge we spoke of last year. Pick a location and visit the first 5 websites and compare. Looking at them, vs booking them are two diff animals, as you yourself can confirm.
Remember, everyone's baby is cute, to them.

We should do the website challenge we spoke of last year. Pick a location and visit the first 5 websites and compare. Looking at them, vs booking them are two diff animals, as you yourself can confirm.
Remember, everyone's baby is cute, to them..
Those same guests are headed for areas of the state that are mostly closed. I told them to not despair when that info wasn't readily available on the homepage of B&B's they might be looking at. Then gave them the names of some innmates who I know are still open.

I think you are preaching to the choir here :) But a good refresher for any new folks dropping in.

Back