Eeeek! We want to become innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you open or buy a B&B where you want and enjoy living. You may not be profitable in a monetary sense, but for us living by the beach and enjoying a historic community like we are, then life is good.
Every innkeeper will have a different experience due to the size and financial means. Ours is a three bedroom inn that my wife easily manages. I’m still in healthcare so income is not the issue for us, but the B&B easily pays the mortgage, taxes, food, and $ for my wife... and did I say we live by the beach! Lol.
We have now decided and dream of living near a beach in Hawaii, so we are planning to selling our east coast B&B. Follow your dreams, life is too short..
We bought a historic house in an east coast tourist area 31 years ago when I was 41 and DH was 45. We both had professional careers at the time so we quit and went "cold turkey" into a new life. It took us a year and a half and everything (except retirement funds) we had to renovate a 150-year-old house as 2 guest suites and to put on a very comfortable addition for ourselves. We opened a 2-room B+B in the historic wing of the house and later added an ocean-view cottage to max out the # of rooms allowed in our location.
I continued to work as a teacher for 15 years which freed me up during our high season to focus on the B+B, while DH was the full-time innkeeper, managing the maintenance and guest issues. With 3 accommodations our seasonal business and my paycheck allowed us to pay off our mortgage and expenses and provided us with a very busy, but satisfying life through our 40's and 50's. After 15 years I retired from teaching and for the last 15 years, we have enjoyed exactly the life we imagined as innkeepers. Our home is our haven...there is no place we would rather be. Going into our 30th year here, we are currently limiting our reservations by shortening our season and taking mostly returning guests requesting 5-7 night stays. This allows the house to pay for itself until such time as we no longer can/want to welcome guests. Sometime in the near future, we will only take guests in the cottage, giving us even more privacy and free time than we currently enjoy. This lifestyle is not for everyone. But I thought you might like to hear about an alternative to the go-get-'em, all out large volume inn with its attendant issues.
Being small has both advantages and disadvantages so get all your facts and then decide how big you want to be. Here are a few of the advantages of having a 3-room B+B in our state.
*We do not have to pay a staff since we can manage most details on our own, so no payroll or workman's comp insurance needed., and no scramble to find seasonal staff for the B+B.
*We do not have to collect or pay state or local room tax, making our bookkeeping simple and straight forward.
*We have a manageable size property that can be run seasonally without unreimbursed expenses incurred during the off-season.
* The property is perfectly suited as a single family beach house with guest cottage if we should decide to sell in the future as a private residence instead of as a business.
*We have the flexibility to tailor our calendar to suit our needs, both personal and financial.
I hope this gives you a window into an alternative lifestyle that won't burn you out!
I agree with Silverspoon on many if these points. I have 3 rooms because i can handle that myself. I have always said IF I have to hire help, I will close as I do not wnt to have to deal with the paperwork or having to worry about what someone else says/does as an employer.
All I ever asked of my B & B was to pay the expenses of the house - and it has more or less, major things like siding, roof over the years did put a pinch in that, but we managed.
I also know me well enough to know I would not be happy to not be involved. 3 rooms makes it possible for me to be involved in my City (government as well as organizational), B & B Association, State Tourism, Rails-to-Trails on a local, regional, and State level, and in State Municipal levels.
Right now, until the new City Manager gets the new Development Co-Ordinator hired, I am hip-deep (or maybe eyeball) in planning the April Arts & Crafts Festivl, the May day at the Park for the elementary school, and the entertainment bands for the August BIG festival. THAT is what I mean by making certain this is a place you WANT to live in - a place where the quality of life is what you want and need. (and I had rooms rented in the midst of City Council, a Foundation Board meeting, and a meeting of the Board of a group in the UK. I have one 4-time guest who has YET to have me greet him on arrival- 3 times it was meetings and the 4th was band rehearsal- I am also a member of the Shinnston Community Band.) This is just to say, you will only be as "tied down" as you allow yourself to be.
You run circles around most! You have inspired me to join a local historical board. I've agreed to a 2 year term. We'll see how it goes. :)
regular_smile.gif

No employees here. Also three units. I do hire a cleaning company for a vacation rental in a nearby city an hour away. Very small company. First cleans have gone well. Fingers crossed.
The last cleaner's boyfriend got a better job in a larger city. I wish her the best. She was a blessing.

Make sure you open or buy a B&B where you want and enjoy living. You may not be profitable in a monetary sense, but for us living by the beach and enjoying a historic community like we are, then life is good.
Every innkeeper will have a different experience due to the size and financial means. Ours is a three bedroom inn that my wife easily manages. I’m still in healthcare so income is not the issue for us, but the B&B easily pays the mortgage, taxes, food, and $ for my wife... and did I say we live by the beach! Lol.
We have now decided and dream of living near a beach in Hawaii, so we are planning to selling our east coast B&B. Follow your dreams, life is too short..
We bought a historic house in an east coast tourist area 31 years ago when I was 41 and DH was 45. We both had professional careers at the time so we quit and went "cold turkey" into a new life. It took us a year and a half and everything (except retirement funds) we had to renovate a 150-year-old house as 2 guest suites and to put on a very comfortable addition for ourselves. We opened a 2-room B+B in the historic wing of the house and later added an ocean-view cottage to max out the # of rooms allowed in our location.
I continued to work as a teacher for 15 years which freed me up during our high season to focus on the B+B, while DH was the full-time innkeeper, managing the maintenance and guest issues. With 3 accommodations our seasonal business and my paycheck allowed us to pay off our mortgage and expenses and provided us with a very busy, but satisfying life through our 40's and 50's. After 15 years I retired from teaching and for the last 15 years, we have enjoyed exactly the life we imagined as innkeepers. Our home is our haven...there is no place we would rather be. Going into our 30th year here, we are currently limiting our reservations by shortening our season and taking mostly returning guests requesting 5-7 night stays. This allows the house to pay for itself until such time as we no longer can/want to welcome guests. Sometime in the near future, we will only take guests in the cottage, giving us even more privacy and free time than we currently enjoy. This lifestyle is not for everyone. But I thought you might like to hear about an alternative to the go-get-'em, all out large volume inn with its attendant issues.
Being small has both advantages and disadvantages so get all your facts and then decide how big you want to be. Here are a few of the advantages of having a 3-room B+B in our state.
*We do not have to pay a staff since we can manage most details on our own, so no payroll or workman's comp insurance needed., and no scramble to find seasonal staff for the B+B.
*We do not have to collect or pay state or local room tax, making our bookkeeping simple and straight forward.
*We have a manageable size property that can be run seasonally without unreimbursed expenses incurred during the off-season.
* The property is perfectly suited as a single family beach house with guest cottage if we should decide to sell in the future as a private residence instead of as a business.
*We have the flexibility to tailor our calendar to suit our needs, both personal and financial.
I hope this gives you a window into an alternative lifestyle that won't burn you out!
I agree with Silverspoon on many if these points. I have 3 rooms because i can handle that myself. I have always said IF I have to hire help, I will close as I do not wnt to have to deal with the paperwork or having to worry about what someone else says/does as an employer.
All I ever asked of my B & B was to pay the expenses of the house - and it has more or less, major things like siding, roof over the years did put a pinch in that, but we managed.
I also know me well enough to know I would not be happy to not be involved. 3 rooms makes it possible for me to be involved in my City (government as well as organizational), B & B Association, State Tourism, Rails-to-Trails on a local, regional, and State level, and in State Municipal levels.
Right now, until the new City Manager gets the new Development Co-Ordinator hired, I am hip-deep (or maybe eyeball) in planning the April Arts & Crafts Festivl, the May day at the Park for the elementary school, and the entertainment bands for the August BIG festival. THAT is what I mean by making certain this is a place you WANT to live in - a place where the quality of life is what you want and need. (and I had rooms rented in the midst of City Council, a Foundation Board meeting, and a meeting of the Board of a group in the UK. I have one 4-time guest who has YET to have me greet him on arrival- 3 times it was meetings and the 4th was band rehearsal- I am also a member of the Shinnston Community Band.) This is just to say, you will only be as "tied down" as you allow yourself to be.
You run circles around most! You have inspired me to join a local historical board. I've agreed to a 2 year term. We'll see how it goes. :)
regular_smile.gif

No employees here. Also three units. I do hire a cleaning company for a vacation rental in a nearby city an hour away. Very small company. First cleans have gone well. Fingers crossed.
The last cleaner's boyfriend got a better job in a larger city. I wish her the best. She was a blessing.
Sorry you lost your best cleaner. That hurts. And congrats on taking the 2-year term. Volunteering gives a feeling that cannot be described - a sense of doing something besides taking up space and making a living.
I am SOOOO proud of me, I actually entered my checkbooks into the system and got everything to my guru a week ago!! I sluffed off so much the last 2 years that I filed for an extension even though all I would have had to do was get off my duff.

regular_smile.gif

Sorry you lost your best cleaner. That hurts. And congrats on taking the 2-year term. Volunteering gives a feeling that cannot be described - a sense of doing something besides taking up space and making a living.
I am SOOOO proud of me, I actually entered my checkbooks into the system and got everything to my guru a week ago!! I sluffed off so much the last 2 years that I filed for an extension even though all I would have had to do was get off my duff.
Wow! Good job. Have started organizing for taxes but not yet entering. Where does the time go!

In the beautiful town of Fethiye we have a pension / bed and breakfast for sale. It is located in the prestigious and international Karagozler area, with an exclusive view on the marina. The property is 254m², it houses 16 bedrooms, all with bathroom and toilet.There are two kitchens, of which one is private and the other commonly shared. A veranda with a terrace is attached to the pension on the front side.
Please contact us for more information on this unique investment oppportunity. 450 000 GBP

Back