Eeeek! We want to become innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the great advice. I've been lurking and reading, I've almost finished all the older posts. We have been doing our homework and already taken a training to make sure it's something we want to do. Every vacation we stay at B&Bs and take notes of the things we like and don't like, so we can replicate or avoid. Neither of us have hospitality experience, but the other half is a mental health provider and really good with people. I'm the cook and bookkeeper. :).
We checked out several places before we opened as well. Year 14 coming up. Things I remember that caught our attention:
Didn't care for the community table or set breakfast time, so we set up with square four-tops that could be private or combined as the circumstances required.
Saw quite a few burned out types that had underestimated how much time off they needed, so we made that a priority.
Stayed at a few places that really didn't think about guest management and some that were really good at it. We decided to make it a priority to stay ahead of our guest's expectations. That means very few guests arrive expecting TOO much or something we are not. That helps us exceed their expectations without having to whirl and twirl, which can be very exhausting.
How are you managing your guest's expectations? Are you doing this through your website or a general description of your place? A lot of my current job deals with managing customer expectations. We don't want to be super high end nor do we want to be motel 6, somewhere comfortably in the middle is our ideal.
I agree with the communal table deal. The few times we've had that situation, it's been very awkward. Although, we have met some super nice couples at a few places that had just 2 tops. It seems if you're forced to converse it adds to the awkwardness but if given the option the conversation will come naturally.
We are already planning for time off to avoid burn out, both together and apart even from each other. We are also already considering what we want for our own private areas, no basement room for us.
shades_smile.gif

There's a book called Attracting Perfect Customers. We did some of the exercises (separately so we could compare) in there and it helped us fine tune our website to appeal to the folks that we saw as our perfect guests. That was a good way to start. Over time, we have developed phrases and comments that set the table when our guests first arrive. We do a tour type check-in with no paperwork and, although it lasts just a short couple of minutes, we don't leave a lot for them to figure out. For example, we both greet every guest when they arrive and when they return from a day out. They come to expect that and we make sure we provide it. We rarely bother a guest in their room and they come to see it as their private space. We do our very best to honor that. OTOH, we do not pour or serve alcohol to our guests. We provide beverages with our compliments, but we make sure they no that if they want something, they must serve themselves. They come to expect that is how to do it and we don't cross that line. Guests learn immediately that they need to provide us with an approximate breakfast time before they retire, and with an occasional exception, they do. All in all, staying in front of these things and ensuring that your guests are managed without them feeling managed makes all the difference. Once they know what to do, they are very good at policing themselves. The local custom of no shoes is a great example. IF they begin to walk in on the wood floors, they almost always realize they forgot and come right back. We never remind them as if it were a rule. Just wait 5 seconds and they'll catch themselves.

Thanks for the great advice. I've been lurking and reading, I've almost finished all the older posts. We have been doing our homework and already taken a training to make sure it's something we want to do. Every vacation we stay at B&Bs and take notes of the things we like and don't like, so we can replicate or avoid. Neither of us have hospitality experience, but the other half is a mental health provider and really good with people. I'm the cook and bookkeeper. :).
We checked out several places before we opened as well. Year 14 coming up. Things I remember that caught our attention:
Didn't care for the community table or set breakfast time, so we set up with square four-tops that could be private or combined as the circumstances required.
Saw quite a few burned out types that had underestimated how much time off they needed, so we made that a priority.
Stayed at a few places that really didn't think about guest management and some that were really good at it. We decided to make it a priority to stay ahead of our guest's expectations. That means very few guests arrive expecting TOO much or something we are not. That helps us exceed their expectations without having to whirl and twirl, which can be very exhausting.
How are you managing your guest's expectations? Are you doing this through your website or a general description of your place? A lot of my current job deals with managing customer expectations. We don't want to be super high end nor do we want to be motel 6, somewhere comfortably in the middle is our ideal.
I agree with the communal table deal. The few times we've had that situation, it's been very awkward. Although, we have met some super nice couples at a few places that had just 2 tops. It seems if you're forced to converse it adds to the awkwardness but if given the option the conversation will come naturally.
We are already planning for time off to avoid burn out, both together and apart even from each other. We are also already considering what we want for our own private areas, no basement room for us.
shades_smile.gif

walking dead said:
How are you managing your guest's expectations?
Website, but I suppose my idea is to always hold back a little and do something beyond that which is expected to send them away happy.
walking dead said:
I agree with the communal table deal.
Just to be different, my favorite was a B & B with 29 (probably half children) at a large table, had the feeling that many of these folks returned that same week each year, but I believe your choices should reflect you and cultivate those guests that like the same, best way for both to be happy.
walking dead said:
We are already planning for time off to avoid burn out, We are also already considering what we want for our own private areas, no basement room for us.
shades_smile.gif
My thought is that it is not how much I take in, but how much we keep when the bills are paid, the property we choose will have a bearing on that amount and the time left for enjoyment. I wouldn't be happy living in a closet or basement either. Our building had been an eleven room motel, three of those rooms got added into our living area making for a large comfortable space, it has contributed to our being happy over the years. As you look at places, don't rule out non traditional looking properties, well just a suggestion.

shades_smile.gif

There's a book called Attracting Perfect Customers. We did some of the exercises (separately so we could compare) in there and it helped us fine tune our website to appeal to the folks that we saw as our perfect guests. That was a good way to start. Over time, we have developed phrases and comments that set the table when our guests first arrive. We do a tour type check-in with no paperwork and, although it lasts just a short couple of minutes, we don't leave a lot for them to figure out. For example, we both greet every guest when they arrive and when they return from a day out. They come to expect that and we make sure we provide it. We rarely bother a guest in their room and they come to see it as their private space. We do our very best to honor that. OTOH, we do not pour or serve alcohol to our guests. We provide beverages with our compliments, but we make sure they no that if they want something, they must serve themselves. They come to expect that is how to do it and we don't cross that line. Guests learn immediately that they need to provide us with an approximate breakfast time before they retire, and with an occasional exception, they do. All in all, staying in front of these things and ensuring that your guests are managed without them feeling managed makes all the difference. Once they know what to do, they are very good at policing themselves. The local custom of no shoes is a great example. IF they begin to walk in on the wood floors, they almost always realize they forgot and come right back. We never remind them as if it were a rule. Just wait 5 seconds and they'll catch themselves.
Your guests are shoeless in the house? OMG! That's awesome. Most guests in our current house kick off their shoes when they come in and we love it. I never thought we would be able to have our guests do that.
thumbs_up.gif

shades_smile.gif

Your guests are shoeless in the house? OMG! That's awesome. Most guests in our current house kick off their shoes when they come in and we love it. I never thought we would be able to have our guests do that.
thumbs_up.gif

Remember that we explain that it is the local custom when they arrive on the front lanai and show them where they can leave their shoes. You'll want to have something similar to avoid the worst of all things- an arbitrary rule that makes your guests chaffe. These are the little nuanced differences that make for fine hosts.
"Oh- it's the local custom. Well of course I'll want to honor that." instead of "Why do they make you take your shoes off? Are the floors that delicate?"
We stayed at one place where you couldn't roll the luggage on the wood floors because the wood was too soft. Too much of that and folks never get comfortable.

Sounds like you are doing all of the research that I wish I had before buying our B&B 7 years ago. We were able to secure a business loan with 15% down, partially financed through a local bank and partially through a federal small business loan program. We set up our LLC with me as the "majority shareholder" 60/40 so that our business would be considered minority-owned, which helped secure the federal loan.
People often ask if there was anything that surprised me about innkeeping. The biggest surprise was how badly the previous owners had maintained the property, and how they sold us stained sheets, chipped china, and worn out furnishings. We poured a lot of money into the "turnkey" business during the first few weeks!
After 7 years, we've decided to sell our B&B. This time, it will be truly turnkey. I just posted our listing under the "inns for sale" forum on this site.

I am selling a lovely Inn in Clinton, NC and will be happy to provide training! :) You can even come and work with me for a weekend/few days to see if Innkeeping is something you'd really enjoy. www.ashford-inn.com
Never a dull moment! :)
Julie

I am selling a lovely Inn in Clinton, NC and will be happy to provide training! :) You can even come and work with me for a weekend/few days to see if Innkeeping is something you'd really enjoy. Ashford Inn.
Never a dull moment!
Julie

"Are we going to trade the rat race for being overworked, underpaid, and no free time?"
Yes. Just like any other entrepreneur. It's scary and rewarding, and probably way more work than you think.

"Are we going to trade the rat race for being overworked, underpaid, and no free time?"
Yes. Just like any other entrepreneur. It's scary and rewarding, and probably way more work than you think..
MikeMontana said:
Yes. Just like any other entrepreneur. It's scary and rewarding, and probably way more work than you think.
79d4ee3594dc95c47eca7a6f5b3f23f3999e038eacb7a859de14b82c8599f9a9.jpg

Make sure you open or buy a B&B where you want and enjoy living. You may not be profitable in a monetary sense, but for us living by the beach and enjoying a historic community like we are, then life is good.
Every innkeeper will have a different experience due to the size and financial means. Ours is a three bedroom inn that my wife easily manages. I’m still in healthcare so income is not the issue for us, but the B&B easily pays the mortgage, taxes, food, and $ for my wife... and did I say we live by the beach! Lol.
We have now decided and dream of living near a beach in Hawaii, so we are planning to selling our east coast B&B. Follow your dreams, life is too short.

Make sure you open or buy a B&B where you want and enjoy living. You may not be profitable in a monetary sense, but for us living by the beach and enjoying a historic community like we are, then life is good.
Every innkeeper will have a different experience due to the size and financial means. Ours is a three bedroom inn that my wife easily manages. I’m still in healthcare so income is not the issue for us, but the B&B easily pays the mortgage, taxes, food, and $ for my wife... and did I say we live by the beach! Lol.
We have now decided and dream of living near a beach in Hawaii, so we are planning to selling our east coast B&B. Follow your dreams, life is too short..
Agree, being rich in life is not about money, but passing through life enjoying each day. Now my choice of weather is different, I ran away from the warmer coastal climate to the mountains, but fond memories of Tybee with mom & dad as a child.

We have now decided and dream of living near a beach in Hawaii, so we are planning to selling our east coast B&B. Follow your dreams, life is too short..
We want to find a great area to live in, small town feel without being too small. We still aren't sure where we want to be other than somewhere beautiful. :)

I am selling a lovely Inn in Clinton, NC and will be happy to provide training! :) You can even come and work with me for a weekend/few days to see if Innkeeping is something you'd really enjoy. Ashford Inn.
Never a dull moment!
Julie.
If I had any available time I would happily take you up on your offer. :)

We want to find a great area to live in, small town feel without being too small. We still aren't sure where we want to be other than somewhere beautiful. :)
Shinnston is a small town with big cities (for WV 16,000 is big city) within 10 miles north or south, 2 universities ( one 10 miles the State Uni 45 min), and they do not come any more beautiful than West Virginia.
My 3-room is for sale and there is another I know of in the mountains that is for sale (near ski resorts), and another in the southern mountains in the same city as the Greenbrier Hotel and near Lewisburg that was named Best City a couple years ago (lots happening there also). WV is a 4-season State. All of us are "one-man bands", meaning we are on our own. Just thought to give you some ideas. (Mine would probably be last on the list and I am not quite ready yet anyway.)

And, in many markets, Air, HomeAway, Google SEO, are changing the traditional B&B customer base. Look at an inn's financials, but now more than ever "past performance is no guarantee ..."

I agree. It is really importatnt that you enjoy your living space especially when you share it with others!

Please take a look at my post today that might be a fit for you. Certainly under $1 million and I will finance.
https://www.innspiring.com/node/19601
Armen Yousoufian
Maury Island, Washington (near Seattle)

We bought a historic house in an east coast tourist area 31 years ago when I was 41 and DH was 45. We both had professional careers at the time so we quit and went "cold turkey" into a new life. It took us a year and a half and everything (except retirement funds) we had to renovate a 150-year-old house as 2 guest suites and to put on a very comfortable addition for ourselves. We opened a 2-room B+B in the historic wing of the house and later added an ocean-view cottage to max out the # of rooms allowed in our location.
I continued to work as a teacher for 15 years which freed me up during our high season to focus on the B+B, while DH was the full-time innkeeper, managing the maintenance and guest issues. With 3 accommodations our seasonal business and my paycheck allowed us to pay off our mortgage and expenses and provided us with a very busy, but satisfying life through our 40's and 50's. After 15 years I retired from teaching and for the last 15 years, we have enjoyed exactly the life we imagined as innkeepers. Our home is our haven...there is no place we would rather be. Going into our 30th year here, we are currently limiting our reservations by shortening our season and taking mostly returning guests requesting 5-7 night stays. This allows the house to pay for itself until such time as we no longer can/want to welcome guests. Sometime in the near future, we will only take guests in the cottage, giving us even more privacy and free time than we currently enjoy. This lifestyle is not for everyone. But I thought you might like to hear about an alternative to the go-get-'em, all out large volume inn with its attendant issues.
Being small has both advantages and disadvantages so get all your facts and then decide how big you want to be. Here are a few of the advantages of having a 3-room B+B in our state.
*We do not have to pay a staff since we can manage most details on our own, so no payroll or workman's comp insurance needed., and no scramble to find seasonal staff for the B+B.
*We do not have to collect or pay state or local room tax, making our bookkeeping simple and straight forward.
*We have a manageable size property that can be run seasonally without unreimbursed expenses incurred during the off-season.
* The property is perfectly suited as a single family beach house with guest cottage if we should decide to sell in the future as a private residence instead of as a business.
*We have the flexibility to tailor our calendar to suit our needs, both personal and financial.
I hope this gives you a window into an alternative lifestyle that won't burn you out!

We bought a historic house in an east coast tourist area 31 years ago when I was 41 and DH was 45. We both had professional careers at the time so we quit and went "cold turkey" into a new life. It took us a year and a half and everything (except retirement funds) we had to renovate a 150-year-old house as 2 guest suites and to put on a very comfortable addition for ourselves. We opened a 2-room B+B in the historic wing of the house and later added an ocean-view cottage to max out the # of rooms allowed in our location.
I continued to work as a teacher for 15 years which freed me up during our high season to focus on the B+B, while DH was the full-time innkeeper, managing the maintenance and guest issues. With 3 accommodations our seasonal business and my paycheck allowed us to pay off our mortgage and expenses and provided us with a very busy, but satisfying life through our 40's and 50's. After 15 years I retired from teaching and for the last 15 years, we have enjoyed exactly the life we imagined as innkeepers. Our home is our haven...there is no place we would rather be. Going into our 30th year here, we are currently limiting our reservations by shortening our season and taking mostly returning guests requesting 5-7 night stays. This allows the house to pay for itself until such time as we no longer can/want to welcome guests. Sometime in the near future, we will only take guests in the cottage, giving us even more privacy and free time than we currently enjoy. This lifestyle is not for everyone. But I thought you might like to hear about an alternative to the go-get-'em, all out large volume inn with its attendant issues.
Being small has both advantages and disadvantages so get all your facts and then decide how big you want to be. Here are a few of the advantages of having a 3-room B+B in our state.
*We do not have to pay a staff since we can manage most details on our own, so no payroll or workman's comp insurance needed., and no scramble to find seasonal staff for the B+B.
*We do not have to collect or pay state or local room tax, making our bookkeeping simple and straight forward.
*We have a manageable size property that can be run seasonally without unreimbursed expenses incurred during the off-season.
* The property is perfectly suited as a single family beach house with guest cottage if we should decide to sell in the future as a private residence instead of as a business.
*We have the flexibility to tailor our calendar to suit our needs, both personal and financial.
I hope this gives you a window into an alternative lifestyle that won't burn you out!
I agree with Silverspoon on many if these points. I have 3 rooms because i can handle that myself. I have always said IF I have to hire help, I will close as I do not wnt to have to deal with the paperwork or having to worry about what someone else says/does as an employer.
All I ever asked of my B & B was to pay the expenses of the house - and it has more or less, major things like siding, roof over the years did put a pinch in that, but we managed.
I also know me well enough to know I would not be happy to not be involved. 3 rooms makes it possible for me to be involved in my City (government as well as organizational), B & B Association, State Tourism, Rails-to-Trails on a local, regional, and State level, and in State Municipal levels.
Right now, until the new City Manager gets the new Development Co-Ordinator hired, I am hip-deep (or maybe eyeball) in planning the April Arts & Crafts Festivl, the May day at the Park for the elementary school, and the entertainment bands for the August BIG festival. THAT is what I mean by making certain this is a place you WANT to live in - a place where the quality of life is what you want and need. (and I had rooms rented in the midst of City Council, a Foundation Board meeting, and a meeting of the Board of a group in the UK. I have one 4-time guest who has YET to have me greet him on arrival- 3 times it was meetings and the 4th was band rehearsal- I am also a member of the Shinnston Community Band.) This is just to say, you will only be as "tied down" as you allow yourself to be.

I don't think you're crazy at all. But you must do your due diligence. Shelley and I cashed in half of my 401k and we lost some of the total in fees and penalties and taxes. But we have built an asset that surpasses what we lost by a big margin. When you look at properties, be sure it is not just financially feasible, but scale-able and expandable. Good luck!

Back