EEEEWWWW!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Just got done reading this so I had to post it...EEEWWWWW! Many we already know about but some????
7 Germiest Public Places
Avoid Touching These Surfaces in Public Places to Stay Healthy

An average adult can touch as many as 30 objects within a minute, including germ-harboring, high-traffic surfaces such as light switches, doorknobs, phone
Restaurant menus
Have you ever seen anyone wash off a menu? Probably not. A recent study in the Journal of Medical Virology reported that cold and flu viruses can survive for 18 hours on hard surfaces. If it's a popular restaurant, hundreds of people could be handling the menus--and passing their germs on to you. Never let a menu touch your plate or silverware, and wash your hands after you place your order.

Lemon wedges

According to a 2007 study in the Journal of Environmental Health, nearly 70% of the lemon wedges perched on the rims of restaurant glasses contain disease-causing microbes. When the researchers ordered drinks at 21 different restaurants, they found 25 different microorganisms lingering on the 76 lemons that they secured, including E. coli and other fecal bacteria. Tell your server that you'd prefer your beverage sans fruit. Why risk it?
Condiment dispensers
It's the rare eatery that regularly bleaches its condiment containers. And the reality is that many people don't wash their hands before eating, says Kelly Reynolds, PhD. So while you may be diligent, the guy who poured the ketchup before you may not have been, which means his germs are now on your fries. Squirt hand sanitizer on the outside of the condiment bottle or use a disinfectant wipe before you grab it. Holding the bottle with a napkin won't help; napkins are porous, so microorganisms can pass right through, Reynolds says.

Restroom door handles

Don't think you can escape the restroom without touching the door handle? Palm a spare paper towel after you wash up and use it to grasp the handle. Yes, other patrons may think you're a germ-phobe--but you'll never see them again, and you're the one who won't get sick.
Soap dispensers
About 25% of public restroom dispensers are contaminated with fecal bacteria. Soap that harbors bacteria may seem ironic, but that's exactly what a recent study found. "Most of these containers are never cleaned, so bacteria grow as the soap scum builds up," says Charles Gerba, PhD. "And the bottoms are touched by dirty hands, so there's a continuous culture feeding millions of bacteria." Be sure to scrub hands thoroughly with plenty of hot water for 15 to 20 seconds--and if you happen to have an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, use that, too.
Grocery carts
The handles of almost two-thirds of the shopping carts tested in a 2007 study at the University of Arizona were contaminated with fecal bacteria. In fact, the
bacterial counts of the carts exceeded those of the average public restroom. Swab the handle with a disinfectant wipe before grabbing hold (stores are starting to provide them, so look around for a dispenser). And while you're wheeling around the supermarket, skip the free food samples, which are nothing more than communal hand-to-germ-to-mouth zones.

Airplane bathrooms

When Gerba tested for microbes in the bathrooms of commercial jets, he found surfaces from faucets to doorknobs to be contaminated with E. coli. It's not
surprising, then, that you're 100 times more likely to catch a cold when you're airborne, according to a recent study in the Journal of Environmental Health Research. To protect yourself, try taking green tea supplements. In a 2007 study from the University of Florida, people who took a 450-milligram green tea supplement twice a day for 3 months had one-third fewer days of cold symptoms. The supplement brand used in the study was Immune Guard ($30 for 60 pills; immune-guard.us).

Doctor's office

A doctor's office is not the place to be if you're trying to avoid germs. These tips can help limit your exposure.
1. Take your own books and magazines (and kid's toys, if you have your children or grandchildren with you).
2. Also pack your own tissues and hand sanitizers, which should be at least 60% alcohol content.
3. In the waiting room, leave at least two chairs between you and the other patients to reduce your chances of picking up their bugs. Germ droplets from coughing and sneezing can travel about 3 feet before falling to the floor.

I knew this about the lemon wedges and it bums me out...I NEED lemon with my ice water or iced tea...but you know as you're squeezing it in there that it's nasty!!!
ETA: Any chance the citric acid from the lemon can kill some of the microbes???

Wanna know why so many more children have allergies now that we did when "we" were growing up? EXACTLY because of articles like this that have parents sterilizing every suface, making children wash their hands 100 times, not allowing them to play in dirt, getting rid of the pets when they get pregnant etc
There are allergens that we ONLY develop as children - these allergens are often developed from EXPOSURE to dirt and germs .. so keep them away from all of it and they never develop them, growing up with multiple and often life threatening allergies. Most of us ate dirt, chewed on our toys with heavens knows what type of paint (lead or otherwise), sat on toilets with no covers and we are (well mostly) ok. I am not saying don't be cautious, I am saying don't be neurotic, just use good common sense!!

Don't forget the spoons/ladels at boo fay restaurants that are touched by 100+ people in a row and NEVER replaced or cleaned.
Having athe crud slowly invading our family this weekend I am conscientous of what is touched and cleaned. Eating grapes - your fingers go to your lips. Napkin rings. Salt and pepper shakers, door handles etc. I have lysoled everywhere.
My parents in CA had someone bring a bad cold to everyone there and a couple of the older people may not make it, they just cant find it like the younger or healthier.

Sooo many publications & studys contradict each other. This stuff about using hand sanitizers is one of them. Most medical professionals state washing with regular soap and water is far safer than the sanitizers. Remember they also said margarine was better than butter, now its not.
I do agree we have sanitized ourselves to have life time health issues.
I'm not saying we should forget about cleanliness just stop freaking out about touching anything. Bathroom door knobs an exception...have you noticed how many leave a stall without stopping at the sink!

Rubbish!
"Wanna know why so many more children have allergies now that we did when "we" were growing up? EXACTLY because of articles like this that have parents sterilizing every suface, making children wash their hands 100 times, not allowing them to play in dirt, getting rid of the pets when they get pregnant etc"
Because they are eating crap, chemicals and junk and not eating anything fresh or whole. As I like to say "Chickens don't have nuggets" like that family at our mexican restaurant where the Mom brought into the restaurant Chicken nugget happy meals for all the kids.
Parents are not near their children to have them wash their hands 100 times - they rarely even see their kids. School, day care, 10 activities a week. I agree with you they do not play in the dirt...they do not go outside unless they are in sports.
Little chubby kids everywhere with diabetes and asthma and allergies. Drinking mountain dew for breakfast. Mystery meat hot pockets for dinner. No veggies, nothing whole, nothing real.

Don't forget the spoons/ladels at boo fay restaurants that are touched by 100+ people in a row and NEVER replaced or cleaned.
Having athe crud slowly invading our family this weekend I am conscientous of what is touched and cleaned. Eating grapes - your fingers go to your lips. Napkin rings. Salt and pepper shakers, door handles etc. I have lysoled everywhere.
My parents in CA had someone bring a bad cold to everyone there and a couple of the older people may not make it, they just cant find it like the younger or healthier..
Attended a pulmonary rehab group with my dad, advice there was to have wipes in your car. Wherever you go, always use them as soon as you get in your car. I think it is good advice for the people with compromised immune systems. You can't wipe everything everywhere. And no one should ever visit who is ill. A note to that effect should be on the door.

Rubbish!
"Wanna know why so many more children have allergies now that we did when "we" were growing up? EXACTLY because of articles like this that have parents sterilizing every suface, making children wash their hands 100 times, not allowing them to play in dirt, getting rid of the pets when they get pregnant etc"
Because they are eating crap, chemicals and junk and not eating anything fresh or whole. As I like to say "Chickens don't have nuggets" like that family at our mexican restaurant where the Mom brought into the restaurant Chicken nugget happy meals for all the kids.
Parents are not near their children to have them wash their hands 100 times - they rarely even see their kids. School, day care, 10 activities a week. I agree with you they do not play in the dirt...they do not go outside unless they are in sports.
Little chubby kids everywhere with diabetes and asthma and allergies. Drinking mountain dew for breakfast. Mystery meat hot pockets for dinner. No veggies, nothing whole, nothing real..
And don't even get me started on the injected hormones and antibiotics...this is leading to earlier and earlier cases of breast cancer, it's so sad.

Sooo many publications & studys contradict each other. This stuff about using hand sanitizers is one of them. Most medical professionals state washing with regular soap and water is far safer than the sanitizers. Remember they also said margarine was better than butter, now its not.
I'm not saying we should forget about cleanliness just stop freaking out about touching anything. Bathroom door knobs an exception...have you noticed how many leave a stall without stopping at the sink!.
"have you noticed how many leave a stall without stopping at the sink!"
Sometimes when I see the bathroom condition, I just leave as well...but I always have my own hand sanitizer with me and I use it then.

I'm not saying we should forget about cleanliness just stop freaking out about touching anything. Bathroom door knobs an exception...have you noticed how many leave a stall without stopping at the sink!.
My Mom would never be seated until AFTER she went to the restroom - if there was no soap, she left. The servers are using these same restrooms therefor, they were NOT serving HER.

Rubbish? gee that's rather hard since once of the things I do on the side is do end meeting coordination for medical CME courses .. and most of them have been for allergy related issues ...
I agree that the hormones, modified foods etc are ALSO a reason that children don't develop the allergens they need but your reply is not only rude, negating what is said and making like its an untruth is wrong

copperhead said:
I'm not saying we should forget about cleanliness just stop freaking out about touching anything. Bathroom door knobs an exception...have you noticed how many leave a stall without stopping at the sink!
One of the only things I remember from my employee intro class at the hospital was to take the paper towel from drying your hands with you and use it to open the door. Throw it away outside the bathroom if you can't reach the trash after the door is open and you're outside (holding the door open with your foot!)
Now there's a job to put you in contact with everything! TB was a big one because of the very large immigrant pop around the hospital. And there's my pen, being touched by everyone to sign their forms. I used to scrub my keyboard, pen and desk with iso wipes before starting my day. We had to use the hand sanitizer as we were not allowed to leave our desks without permission. (Don't get me started on THAT!)
I got sick once. A patient sneezed right in my face as I walked around a corner. She turned her head to not sneeze on her husband and got me square in the face. You can't hold your breath long enough to get to the bathroom to wash.

Rubbish? gee that's rather hard since once of the things I do on the side is do end meeting coordination for medical CME courses .. and most of them have been for allergy related issues ...
I agree that the hormones, modified foods etc are ALSO a reason that children don't develop the allergens they need but your reply is not only rude, negating what is said and making like its an untruth is wrong.
I thought Joey was calling the food rubbish, not your answer...can't tell from the way it's quoted. I think you're correct about the overly sanitized habits of today's kids/parents. It all goes together.

Condiment dispensers
Holding the bottle with a napkin won't help; napkins are porous, so microorganisms can pass right through, Reynolds says.

Restroom door handles

Palm a spare paper towel after you wash up and use it to grasp the handle. Yes, other patrons may think you're a germ-phobe--but you'll never see them again, and you're the one who won't get sick.
Do these 2 statement pretty much contradict each other? Napkin won't help, paper towel will? Napkin too thin? Paper towel thick enough? What's the deal?

Condiment dispensers
Holding the bottle with a napkin won't help; napkins are porous, so microorganisms can pass right through, Reynolds says.

Restroom door handles

Palm a spare paper towel after you wash up and use it to grasp the handle. Yes, other patrons may think you're a germ-phobe--but you'll never see them again, and you're the one who won't get sick.
Do these 2 statement pretty much contradict each other? Napkin won't help, paper towel will? Napkin too thin? Paper towel thick enough? What's the deal?.
I didn't write it, I just copied it :-(

Since he never referred to the trash, taking it out or cleaning trash cans it very obviously was directed at my statement.... since "trash" is generally only referred to as "rubbish" in the UK and only similar countries like S Africa and since "junk" food is not generally referred to as "rubbish" but as junk food ...

Condiment dispensers

Restroom door handles

Do these 2 statement pretty much contradict each other? Napkin won't help, paper towel will? Napkin too thin? Paper towel thick enough? What's the deal?.
I know.
embaressed_smile.gif
Just trying to figure it out. Not that it makes the least difference to me. I suck on the lemons in my water (IN my water, that's where they end up!), open doors with no thought to who used them prior to me, pump the condiment handle, read the menus (even the horribly tacky and grungy ones), read the magazines wherever I find them and do all that other stuff that just goes along with life on Earth with other humanoids.
Good grief, look at what I do everyday!
Yes, I get sick. One time last year it was really bad, 3 weeks of miserable. But, c'est la vie. What can I do? We're both good for one really serious cold per year.

Condiment dispensers

Restroom door handles

I know.
embaressed_smile.gif
Just trying to figure it out. Not that it makes the least difference to me. I suck on the lemons in my water (IN my water, that's where they end up!), open doors with no thought to who used them prior to me, pump the condiment handle, read the menus (even the horribly tacky and grungy ones), read the magazines wherever I find them and do all that other stuff that just goes along with life on Earth with other humanoids.
Good grief, look at what I do everyday!
Yes, I get sick. One time last year it was really bad, 3 weeks of miserable. But, c'est la vie. What can I do? We're both good for one really serious cold per year.
Stair railings. Same thing - but at my age I will hang on and take my chances. Of course I grew up in the era before the phrase "and die" was added to "Eat dirt!" Mom's phrase was - you eat a peck of dirt before you die. But I am a dinosaur from the days where we had a garden and canned or froze our fruit & veggies, made our jelly, got our eggs & Sunday dinner from the hen house (and supper was the leftovers if any), milked the cows to get our milk, cream and then churned the butter, and butchered the bull calves when they were a year old for our meat. We bought flour, sugar, coffee, & tea. Mom made all our bread (I cannot remember what she bought from the bread man - maybe pumpernikel - that she ran off when he killed her black snake), cookies, etc. Poor Mom. I do not mind being "liberated!".

Just a reminder, get your flu shots and get a pneumonia shot, it lasts 10 yrs and can be effective against almost 80% of respiratory infections. So said the doc. It sure helped me!

Back