Egg Substitute

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muirford said:
One of the most difficult challenging special diets for me is the one that doesn't allow eggs - vegan or egg allergy. This article was in the NY TImes about using ground flaxseed and water as a substitute.
Replacing Eggs...
There is a recipe for cookies in the article that looks tempting.
-just to chime in on the topic here- you can also use half a mashed banana or 1/4 cup applesauce in place of an egg for baked goods. And as for making special foods and having to freeze them or waste them, why not just serve them to all the guests at the table? I've had all kinds of vegan breads and cookies (having been on the diet for a long time) and they taste great, I have even served them at potlucks and family dinners and everyone raves about them. The health food store I used to work at made awesome banana bread, that everyone one was completely addicted to, and that was made vegan.
And as someone with a special diet that travels, yes I do look online first at inns that say they will cater to a special diet and I go there before any others. But I don't really expect too much, as long as there is some side dish I can eat, I am happy. I think that most people that are on a restricted diet understand their limits and are used to just eating part of what everyone around them is eating. The times that someone does go out of their way to make you a tofu scramble dish it is awesome and appreciated, but it is really not expected..
I made vegan French Toast for a guest who was on a vegan diet with mashed banana and soy milk and it was pretty good. The problem was finding a vegan bread here that had no eggs at all. We don't have a big selection of specialty foods :-(

muirford said:
One of the most difficult challenging special diets for me is the one that doesn't allow eggs - vegan or egg allergy. This article was in the NY TImes about using ground flaxseed and water as a substitute.
Replacing Eggs...
-just to chime in on the topic here- you can also use half a mashed banana or 1/4 cup applesauce in place of an egg for baked goods. And as for making special foods and having to freeze them or waste them, why not just serve them to all the guests at the table? I've had all kinds of vegan breads and cookies (having been on the diet for a long time) and they taste great, I have even served them at potlucks and family dinners and everyone raves about them. The health food store I used to work at made awesome banana bread, that everyone one was completely addicted to, and that was made vegan.
And as someone with a special diet that travels, yes I do look online first at inns that say they will cater to a special diet and I go there before any others. But I don't really expect too much, as long as there is some side dish I can eat, I am happy. I think that most people that are on a restricted diet understand their limits and are used to just eating part of what everyone around them is eating. The times that someone does go out of their way to make you a tofu scramble dish it is awesome and appreciated, but it is really not expected..
I made vegan French Toast for a guest who was on a vegan diet with mashed banana and soy milk and it was pretty good. The problem was finding a vegan bread here that had no eggs at all. We don't have a big selection of specialty foods :-(
Samster said:
We are blessed here in that there is a Hungarian lady who bakes and sells at the farmer's market and not a far drive from me. She is blessed because she bakes all kinds of low fat, no fat, gluten free etc.
I would much rather purchase locally (we're big into that here) and fresh than have to buy some mix.
RIki

muirford said:
Replacing Eggs...
Samster said:
We are blessed here in that there is a Hungarian lady who bakes and sells at the farmer's market and not a far drive from me. She is blessed because she bakes all kinds of low fat, no fat, gluten free etc.
I would much rather purchase locally (we're big into that here) and fresh than have to buy some mix.
RIki
At the time I had this guest here for 4 days, we were totally full so no time to try and bake my own bread either, which I probably would have tried. Even all the breads at our Market Days have eggs in them, I've discovered. The local grocery store had a Ciabatta bread that was eggless and that's the one I used.

Back