Egg Substitute

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
One of the most difficult challenging special diets for me is the one that doesn't allow eggs - vegan or egg allergy. This article was in the NY TImes about using ground flaxseed and water as a substitute.
Replacing Eggs...
There is a recipe for cookies in the article that looks tempting.

I have that egg replacer and have used it for vegans, but I don't think it works as well, especially in baked goods. I would give the flaxseed a try if the person doesn't have a flaxseed allergy (I personally haven't had one of those yet).

I have that egg replacer and have used it for vegans, but I don't think it works as well, especially in baked goods. I would give the flaxseed a try if the person doesn't have a flaxseed allergy (I personally haven't had one of those yet)..
I have used it successfully in some baked goods but I never had a lot of vegans so its use was limited.

Remember the one thread we had recently about the flaxseed allergy. This wouldn't be good for them :-( When I needed an egg replacement this is what I used..
Thanks for that resource! What is in it? Is it gluten free? Many times my egg free people are also gluten free.
Ingredients: Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose
Free of gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, yeast, soy, nut, low protein, rice
Here is the link

Especially when I'm busy, I don't have a lot of time to create totally homemade breakfast for that one person with the special diet. Check out these products which are totally egg free, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free, nut free & are vegan! Several of these products are sold in my local grocery store.
Another great product, especially for eggless & vegans is Tofu Scrambler. I was having trouble getting this at my local store, so I bought a case of it from their website. It's so good, I always make extra and eat it myself for breakfast! I used it just last week for a guest with an egg allergy. I sauteed some onion, asparagus & zucchini, then added crumbled firm tofu that had been mixed with the Tofu Scrambler mix and sauteed it all up. At the end, I threw some shreaded cheddar cheese on top. "Best breakfast she ever had" she said.
When anyone says no eggs, always ask if that means also in no baked goods. Many times when they say no eggs it's because they can't stand the taste of eggs and not because they have an allergy.

I will be honest, I am not a dietition. I am not their personal cook. If someone has a long list of things they cannot eat they need to bring their own food. I say this as I have one for 4 days coming up and will see what I work out once she checks in.
I had guests talking to me about this last week and I laughed out loud and quite possibly patted him on the back when he heard the story of a recent guest who couldn't eat this, or that or the other. He said "So what, it's not your problem" and I thought of all the innkeepers who bend over backwards for those guests.
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable.

I will be honest, I am not a dietition. I am not their personal cook. If someone has a long list of things they cannot eat they need to bring their own food. I say this as I have one for 4 days coming up and will see what I work out once she checks in.
I had guests talking to me about this last week and I laughed out loud and quite possibly patted him on the back when he heard the story of a recent guest who couldn't eat this, or that or the other. He said "So what, it's not your problem" and I thought of all the innkeepers who bend over backwards for those guests.
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable..
Yes I tend to agree with you. I tried to "go the extra mile" for special requests IF I was comfortable doing it. I mean not for ones who just said "i don't eat it" but for truly special diets. But if it got to extreme, I either asked "what do you eat for breakfast" or told them "Sorry, I can't accommodate your needs. If you want to bring your own you are welcome to do so." I have to drive 45 min. to get to health food store, so is someone tells me far enough in advance, I could deal with it. Other than that, forget it. I don't keep this stuff in stock. Tried to do that once and it was so long between guests, it had freezer burn and/ or expired:-(

I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable..
Whe nthe "Biker Boys" were here, I did serve the same thing 3 days in a row by their request but the eggs were with chives one day, tarragon the next, and basil the next. The muffins were different each morning but cranberry juice was requested with the reservation. If I do a same breakfast every morning - it is by the request of the guest. Borrrr-rring!!

Joe Bloggs said:
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable.
And I bet you would never stay at that inn again.
As much as I hate special diets, I've gotten used to them and I keep the special stuff around because I do get a lot dietary restrictions. Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?

Joe Bloggs said:
As much as I hate special diets, I've gotten used to them and I keep the special stuff around because I do get a lot dietary restrictions. Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
Breakfast Diva said:
Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
Ding ding! We have a winner!
I may be biased because of just how easy my wife makes it all look to prepare regardless of the special dietary needs of some guests, but the positive tradeoff in making this type of guest who usually feels inhibited about traveling due to the lack of options very happy seems way too obvious to turn away.
As more and more people learn of their food allergies and refuse to be prisoners to said allergies by not travelling as much, it behooves any of us interested in capturing this growing demographic to bone up on how to turn a "headache" into an opportunity.
Frankly, I just don't see all this waste or foodstuffs laying around getting old in our cabinets and cupboards. We're talking about pretty rare occasions when we need to do a little pre-planning and have stuff on hand to accommodate the special diet.
Our pre-emptive asking about dietary issues when a reservation is made is as routine for us as asking if folks need a set of directions with their confirmation.
Folks can always ignore the trend and plainly and overtly discourage those kind of guests from staying at their B&Bs if either getting flexible or more creative in the kitchen isn't what they signed up for.

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
Nope.
Who said a Bed and Breakfast is to cater to every whim and desire dietarily? IF I CHARGED $250+ a night, I would expect that. I don't. I do offer complimentary sodas, snacks, hot drinks and afternoon refreshments though.
I do not have a line anywhere on our website or any directory stating like many of you here do, that we can handle special diets. Vegetarian, no problem, no pork, no problem. Vegan for more than one night - problem. Gluten free/dairy free for more than one night - problem.
Nope, I don't advertise to those specialty diets, we serve regular delicious food. Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal. :)

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
Who said a Bed and Breakfast is to cater to every whim and desire dietarily? IF I CHARGED $250+ a night, I would expect that. I don't. I do offer complimentary sodas, snacks, hot drinks and afternoon refreshments though.
I do not have a line anywhere on our website or any directory stating like many of you here do, that we can handle special diets. Vegetarian, no problem, no pork, no problem. Vegan for more than one night - problem. Gluten free/dairy free for more than one night - problem.
Nope, I don't advertise to those specialty diets, we serve regular delicious food. Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal. :)
Joe Bloggs said:
I don't advertise it on my website at all. They just come. I don't know if it's because I'm in the west, but I sure get my fair share of them.
"Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal". What we offer is not like any restaurant meal. They don't get to choose like in a restaurant. What I'm selling is hospitality that's very different than what they would get someplace else. As I've stated previously, I hate the special diets, but I do it and my guests are appreciative and they go away impressed, appreciative and most say they will never be able to go to a hotel/motel again. They are repeats. Repeats that I moan and groan about, but nevertheless they add to my bottom line so I'll continue to moan and groan, serve them up a big plate of gluten free hospitality, feel good about myself and then run to the bank.
chef.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joe Bloggs said:
I don't advertise it on my website at all. They just come. I don't know if it's because I'm in the west, but I sure get my fair share of them.
"Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal". What we offer is not like any restaurant meal. They don't get to choose like in a restaurant. What I'm selling is hospitality that's very different than what they would get someplace else. As I've stated previously, I hate the special diets, but I do it and my guests are appreciative and they go away impressed, appreciative and most say they will never be able to go to a hotel/motel again. They are repeats. Repeats that I moan and groan about, but nevertheless they add to my bottom line so I'll continue to moan and groan, serve them up a big plate of gluten free hospitality, feel good about myself and then run to the bank.
chef.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
chef.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Remember the one thread we had recently about the flaxseed allergy. This wouldn't be good for them :-( When I needed an egg replacement this is what I used..
Thanks for that resource! What is in it? Is it gluten free? Many times my egg free people are also gluten free.
Ingredients: Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose
Free of gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, yeast, soy, nut, low protein, rice
Here is the link
Boy, that really sounds dee-lish - methylcellulose, aka used for constipation.

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Ding ding! We have a winner!
I may be biased because of just how easy my wife makes it all look to prepare regardless of the special dietary needs of some guests, but the positive tradeoff in making this type of guest who usually feels inhibited about traveling due to the lack of options very happy seems way too obvious to turn away.
As more and more people learn of their food allergies and refuse to be prisoners to said allergies by not travelling as much, it behooves any of us interested in capturing this growing demographic to bone up on how to turn a "headache" into an opportunity.
Frankly, I just don't see all this waste or foodstuffs laying around getting old in our cabinets and cupboards. We're talking about pretty rare occasions when we need to do a little pre-planning and have stuff on hand to accommodate the special diet.
Our pre-emptive asking about dietary issues when a reservation is made is as routine for us as asking if folks need a set of directions with their confirmation.
Folks can always ignore the trend and plainly and overtly discourage those kind of guests from staying at their B&Bs if either getting flexible or more creative in the kitchen isn't what they signed up for.
"Our pre-emptive asking about dietary issues when a reservation is made is as routine for us as asking if folks need a set of directions with their confirmation."
Fine & dandy...IF they let us know ahead of time. There is basically just me to do the shopping & meal planning. We don't have access here to some of the more unusual foods. However, I've handled most of the diets that need to be restricted.
Diabetics are the ones that make me chuckle. I prepare something for them and they ask for the stuff the other folks are eating. Doh!

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
I have to agree with you. I was not in business to cater to every dietary whim. If I could accommodate their issues, I would, if I could not, then they went somewhere else. We provided more than enough amenities and hospitality for the price we charged and we never had a complaint.

I prepared and searched for low fat recipes for our southern CA guests who indicated "low fat - egg whites and veggies".
I told Chris to check what they do when they check in - watch to see if they eat any chocolate or cookies.
He's checking them in and I come out to investigate.
She is munching on a multiple chocolate chip cooked from the cookie jar.
I no longer worry about it unless it's an allergy and stated as such.
Riki

I prepared and searched for low fat recipes for our southern CA guests who indicated "low fat - egg whites and veggies".
I told Chris to check what they do when they check in - watch to see if they eat any chocolate or cookies.
He's checking them in and I come out to investigate.
She is munching on a multiple chocolate chip cooked from the cookie jar.
I no longer worry about it unless it's an allergy and stated as such.
Riki.
I'm right there with you sister! i break my back to oblige those that need it, but if I see them pigging out in my cookie jar they get the same yummy breakfast as everybody else!

Back