Egg Substitute

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be honest, I am not a dietition. I am not their personal cook. If someone has a long list of things they cannot eat they need to bring their own food. I say this as I have one for 4 days coming up and will see what I work out once she checks in.
I had guests talking to me about this last week and I laughed out loud and quite possibly patted him on the back when he heard the story of a recent guest who couldn't eat this, or that or the other. He said "So what, it's not your problem" and I thought of all the innkeepers who bend over backwards for those guests.
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable..
Joe Bloggs said:
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable.
And I bet you would never stay at that inn again.
As much as I hate special diets, I've gotten used to them and I keep the special stuff around because I do get a lot dietary restrictions. Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
Breakfast Diva said:
Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
Ding ding! We have a winner!
I may be biased because of just how easy my wife makes it all look to prepare regardless of the special dietary needs of some guests, but the positive tradeoff in making this type of guest who usually feels inhibited about traveling due to the lack of options very happy seems way too obvious to turn away.
As more and more people learn of their food allergies and refuse to be prisoners to said allergies by not travelling as much, it behooves any of us interested in capturing this growing demographic to bone up on how to turn a "headache" into an opportunity.
Frankly, I just don't see all this waste or foodstuffs laying around getting old in our cabinets and cupboards. We're talking about pretty rare occasions when we need to do a little pre-planning and have stuff on hand to accommodate the special diet.
Our pre-emptive asking about dietary issues when a reservation is made is as routine for us as asking if folks need a set of directions with their confirmation.
Folks can always ignore the trend and plainly and overtly discourage those kind of guests from staying at their B&Bs if either getting flexible or more creative in the kitchen isn't what they signed up for.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Folks can always ignore the trend and plainly and overtly discourage those kind of guests from staying at their B&Bs if either getting flexible or more creative in the kitchen isn't what they signed up for.
Amen! It's wonderful that we can each make our own inns exactly what we want them to be. No one can be all things to all people. It's all about finding what works for you and what makes you happy as an innkeeper.
It's even nicer when as innkeepers we can support each other in this, and refrain from judging those who might do things differently than we would ourselves.

Guests told me they can't have sugar and I would have taken a photo of the powdered sugar donuts on the night stand for you to see. Unbelievable.

I will be honest, I am not a dietition. I am not their personal cook. If someone has a long list of things they cannot eat they need to bring their own food. I say this as I have one for 4 days coming up and will see what I work out once she checks in.
I had guests talking to me about this last week and I laughed out loud and quite possibly patted him on the back when he heard the story of a recent guest who couldn't eat this, or that or the other. He said "So what, it's not your problem" and I thought of all the innkeepers who bend over backwards for those guests.
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable..
Joe Bloggs said:
I have stayed at inns where they served the same breakfast three days in a row! I am not kidding, truly, it happened. I bet some of you have as well. I think we can get carried away trying to be all for all and not everyone is pleasable.
As much as I hate special diets, I've gotten used to them and I keep the special stuff around because I do get a lot dietary restrictions. Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
Breakfast Diva said:
Isn't this one of the areas where we give them the different experience from a hotel/motel?
I may be biased because of just how easy my wife makes it all look to prepare regardless of the special dietary needs of some guests, but the positive tradeoff in making this type of guest who usually feels inhibited about traveling due to the lack of options very happy seems way too obvious to turn away.
As more and more people learn of their food allergies and refuse to be prisoners to said allergies by not travelling as much, it behooves any of us interested in capturing this growing demographic to bone up on how to turn a "headache" into an opportunity.
Frankly, I just don't see all this waste or foodstuffs laying around getting old in our cabinets and cupboards. We're talking about pretty rare occasions when we need to do a little pre-planning and have stuff on hand to accommodate the special diet.
Our pre-emptive asking about dietary issues when a reservation is made is as routine for us as asking if folks need a set of directions with their confirmation.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Amen! It's wonderful that we can each make our own inns exactly what we want them to be. No one can be all things to all people. It's all about finding what works for you and what makes you happy as an innkeeper.
It's even nicer when as innkeepers we can support each other in this, and refrain from judging those who might do things differently than we would ourselves.
InnsiderInfo said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Yes, we're here to support each other, but aren't we also here to see different sides of things? Analyze if what someone else does which may increase business will work for you (that's a collective you) or not? I know I've reanalyzed some of my policies and procedures because of discussions here. I don't think anyone was judging you for providing the type of breakfast that fits your inn the best. Especially since you stated that one of the reasons you're updating your breakfast page is to make prospective guests aware of what they're going to get. You're doing a great job of that.

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Making a judgement on others wasn't my intention, just pointing out a growing not shrinking trend to be considered.
My opinion is colored by the fact that I have the luxury of having an extraordinarily talented professional cook/chef as a partner who makes it all look like its no problem in the slightest.
Personally, I can eat anything and everything but wouldn't find even the hint of a "take it as is or leave it" attitude about anything in a hospitaility situation appealing.
Just like we are all tuned into reservation making, online inquiry, etc.. trends and technological advances, this trend in people finding out what in their diet is the cause of their daily discomfort or illness is something any good business person would take into consideration. That is they hope to not limit their demographic options.

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Making a judgement on others wasn't my intention, just pointing out a growing not shrinking trend to be considered.
My opinion is colored by the fact that I have the luxury of having an extraordinarily talented professional cook/chef as a partner who makes it all look like its no problem in the slightest.
Personally, I can eat anything and everything but wouldn't find even the hint of a "take it as is or leave it" attitude about anything in a hospitaility situation appealing.
Just like we are all tuned into reservation making, online inquiry, etc.. trends and technological advances, this trend in people finding out what in their diet is the cause of their daily discomfort or illness is something any good business person would take into consideration. That is they hope to not limit their demographic options.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
...is something any good business person would take into consideration.
Tim,
This is an example of the kind of comment I was referencing when I said that it is nicer when we can all respect one another as individuals on this forum.
Your point was well spoken and easily understood up to this point in your post, without having to add this piece which implies that if I am NOT taking what you are talking about into consideration then I am not a good business person.
I don't have any problem with anyone disagreeing with me personally or with the way I run my business. I love listening to answers from everyone on this forum. I simply love it more when those answers are given with true respect to everyone here.

Just keep in mind everyone - we are supposed to feel free to TALK here. If we have to answer every question with a guarded answer then it is utterly useless. It exhausts the heck out of us.
When I say "Take it or leave it" that is said RIGHT HERE. Do you really think I post this on my website or say this to guests? Stop analyzing the crap out of everything everyone says and just BE a contributor to the forum.
And yes, I will run my inn the way best suits us and our guests, just like you all run yours the way best suits you and yours. We love to hear other methods and may even test some, but in the end whatever works best for us. If I wanted to make tofu fake-eggs I would move to CA.
No one is shoving their agenda down my throat, I own my own business, I am not bending to anyone else. Simple. I don't care what waves come and go in diets, I do what I do. I am not marketing to certain groups for that reason.

Just keep in mind everyone - we are supposed to feel free to TALK here. If we have to answer every question with a guarded answer then it is utterly useless. It exhausts the heck out of us.
When I say "Take it or leave it" that is said RIGHT HERE. Do you really think I post this on my website or say this to guests? Stop analyzing the crap out of everything everyone says and just BE a contributor to the forum.
And yes, I will run my inn the way best suits us and our guests, just like you all run yours the way best suits you and yours. We love to hear other methods and may even test some, but in the end whatever works best for us. If I wanted to make tofu fake-eggs I would move to CA.
No one is shoving their agenda down my throat, I own my own business, I am not bending to anyone else. Simple. I don't care what waves come and go in diets, I do what I do. I am not marketing to certain groups for that reason..
Joe Bloggs said:
No one is shoving their agenda down my throat, I own my own business, I am not bending to anyone else. Simple. I don't care what waves come and go in diets, I do what I do. I am not marketing to certain groups for that reason.
Thank You!

No one is shoving their agenda down my throat, I own my own business, I am not bending to anyone else. Simple. I don't care what waves come and go in diets, I do what I do. I am not marketing to certain groups for that reason..
AMEN!!!

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
This is an example of the kind of comment I was referencing when I said that it is nicer when we can all respect one another as individuals on this forum.
Your point was well spoken and easily understood up to this point in your post, without having to add this piece which implies that if I am NOT taking what you are talking about into consideration then I am not a good business person.
I don't have any problem with anyone disagreeing with me personally or with the way I run my business. I love listening to answers from everyone on this forum. I simply love it more when those answers are given with true respect to everyone here.
InnsiderInfo said:
Tim,
I think you perceived my comment to be directed at you or for that matter a particular member. Rarely do I ever speak in anything but general terms here and actually tried to qualify the statement with the part about a good business person not wanting to limit the demographic range of people they appeal to.
Thats all I meant.
We all have individualistic needs and goals for what our B&Bs are and who they appeal to given our own talents, needs, goals, etc..
I never said "InnsiderInfo is a bad business person if he or she doesn't do it exactly the way we do it" nor did I imply it.
In not so many words, I simply suggested that folks interested in building a well rounded business with a diverse set of demographics would be wise to consider this growing trend of people trying to still enjoy life and travel while coping with the dietary limits they have on them.
Take that as a lack of respect or a judgement if you like, but it wasn't my intention and apologize for any misinterpretation my comments may have caused.

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
InnsiderInfo said:
Tim,
I think you perceived my comment to be directed at you or for that matter a particular member. Rarely do I ever speak in anything but general terms here and actually tried to qualify the statement with the part about a good business person not wanting to limit the demographic range of people they appeal to.
Thats all I meant.
We all have individualistic needs and goals for what our B&Bs are and who they appeal to given our own talents, needs, goals, etc..
I never said "InnsiderInfo is a bad business person if he or she doesn't do it exactly the way we do it" nor did I imply it.
In not so many words, I simply suggested that folks interested in building a well rounded business with a diverse set of demographics would be wise to consider this growing trend of people trying to still enjoy life and travel while coping with the dietary limits they have on them.
Take that as a lack of respect or a judgement if you like, but it wasn't my intention and apologize for any misinterpretation my comments may have caused.
I actually didn't take it to be directed at anyone. If you say you didn't mean a lack of respect towards anyone then I will take that at face value.
I apologize for indirectly hijacking this thread.

my experience with replacing eggs is that it doesnt really work very well. I ate mostly vegan for about a year and tried every substitute i could find, even made some disgusting seitan "ham" for christmas, fried tofu "bacon" for saturday breakfast, you name it i tried it. (I guess being a meat-loving vegetarian wasn't for me, after a year of suffering I gave up)
anyway back to substitute eggs. I would rather find something else to cook than try to imitate egg, in my experience a cake calling for eggs will never taste as good using "no-eggs".
DH wants us (read me) to make breakfast "to order", I think he's got me confused with super-chef ;) I i'll try to accomodate dietary restrictions like allergies and life-style choices like veganism if they let me know in advance but besides that I can't see myself making 10 different breakfast's every day. Good thing we got loads of time to hash out stuff like this :)

my experience with replacing eggs is that it doesnt really work very well. I ate mostly vegan for about a year and tried every substitute i could find, even made some disgusting seitan "ham" for christmas, fried tofu "bacon" for saturday breakfast, you name it i tried it. (I guess being a meat-loving vegetarian wasn't for me, after a year of suffering I gave up)
anyway back to substitute eggs. I would rather find something else to cook than try to imitate egg, in my experience a cake calling for eggs will never taste as good using "no-eggs".
DH wants us (read me) to make breakfast "to order", I think he's got me confused with super-chef ;) I i'll try to accomodate dietary restrictions like allergies and life-style choices like veganism if they let me know in advance but besides that I can't see myself making 10 different breakfast's every day. Good thing we got loads of time to hash out stuff like this :).
Anna said:
got me confused with super-chef ;) I i'll try to accomodate dietary restrictions like allergies and life-style choices like veganism if they let me know in advance but besides that I can't see myself making 10 different breakfast's every day. Good thing we got loads of time to hash out stuff like this :)
A quick way to cure that disease is to make him do breakfast one day when you know everyone will order something else. Also point out to him that cooking to order will make breakfast substantially more expensive. You don't know what they will want and will have to stock for everything and will be throwing food away that spoils before someone "orders" it for breakfast.
Riki

Guests told me they can't have sugar and I would have taken a photo of the powdered sugar donuts on the night stand for you to see. Unbelievable..
Joe Bloggs said:
Guests told me they can't have sugar and I would have taken a photo of the powdered sugar donuts on the night stand for you to see. Unbelievable.
Yep and these same "low fat" people emptied all the chocolate bowls too.
RIki

Guests told me they can't have sugar and I would have taken a photo of the powdered sugar donuts on the night stand for you to see. Unbelievable..
Yes - and Mr. Gold Star on his Forhead who will not touch something with sugar, fat, or salt thinks it is OK if he is just having a "taste" of whatever I am having (so now my small portion is even smaller) and it is OK to have a few large spoonfuls of chocolate pudding from a salad bar (but if he knew I put butter in the pudding I make would never eat it again. Yes that would solve the pudding night problem but it is one of the few treats he actually has.).

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
Who said a Bed and Breakfast is to cater to every whim and desire dietarily? IF I CHARGED $250+ a night, I would expect that. I don't. I do offer complimentary sodas, snacks, hot drinks and afternoon refreshments though.
I do not have a line anywhere on our website or any directory stating like many of you here do, that we can handle special diets. Vegetarian, no problem, no pork, no problem. Vegan for more than one night - problem. Gluten free/dairy free for more than one night - problem.
Nope, I don't advertise to those specialty diets, we serve regular delicious food. Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal. :)
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope, I don't advertise to those specialty diets, we serve regular delicious food. Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal. :)
I don't advertise it on my website at all. They just come. I don't know if it's because I'm in the west, but I sure get my fair share of them.
"Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal". What we offer is not like any restaurant meal. They don't get to choose like in a restaurant. What I'm selling is hospitality that's very different than what they would get someplace else. As I've stated previously, I hate the special diets, but I do it and my guests are appreciative and they go away impressed, appreciative and most say they will never be able to go to a hotel/motel again. They are repeats. Repeats that I moan and groan about, but nevertheless they add to my bottom line so I'll continue to moan and groan, serve them up a big plate of gluten free hospitality, feel good about myself and then run to the bank.
chef.gif

"Gluten-free hospitality"....that can be your new catch phrase. lol! :)

Joe Bloggs said:
Thank You!
Yes, well said Joe!!!

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
Who said a Bed and Breakfast is to cater to every whim and desire dietarily? IF I CHARGED $250+ a night, I would expect that. I don't. I do offer complimentary sodas, snacks, hot drinks and afternoon refreshments though.
I do not have a line anywhere on our website or any directory stating like many of you here do, that we can handle special diets. Vegetarian, no problem, no pork, no problem. Vegan for more than one night - problem. Gluten free/dairy free for more than one night - problem.
Joe Bloggs said:
I don't advertise it on my website at all. They just come. I don't know if it's because I'm in the west, but I sure get my fair share of them.
"Pick out what you want and leave the rest like any restaurant meal". What we offer is not like any restaurant meal. They don't get to choose like in a restaurant. What I'm selling is hospitality that's very different than what they would get someplace else. As I've stated previously, I hate the special diets, but I do it and my guests are appreciative and they go away impressed, appreciative and most say they will never be able to go to a hotel/motel again. They are repeats. Repeats that I moan and groan about, but nevertheless they add to my bottom line so I'll continue to moan and groan, serve them up a big plate of gluten free hospitality, feel good about myself and then run to the bank.
chef.gif

Samster said:
We'll take whatever catch phrase we can latch onto and appeal to more guests with.
Judging by the five night booking we just got today from a really nice sounding woman who expressed incredible gratitude for our ability to offer her as nice of a dining experience as her "regular" diet husband will get, we'll keep our options open on being flexible with folks.

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif

Samster said:
We'll take whatever catch phrase we can latch onto and appeal to more guests with.
Judging by the five night booking we just got today from a really nice sounding woman who expressed incredible gratitude for our ability to offer her as nice of a dining experience as her "regular" diet husband will get, we'll keep our options open on being flexible with folks.
That "Gluten Free Hospitality" remark was meant for Breakfast Diva since she is the one that said it.
We do special diets here too. It's great that you're flexible, too. You need to loosen up sometimes, Mr. Toad :)

Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Nope.
Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif

Samster said:
That "Gluten Free Hospitality" remark was meant for Breakfast Diva since she is the one that said it.
We do special diets here too. It's great that you're flexible, too. You need to loosen up sometimes, Mr. Toad :)
Samster said:
Well, since Mr. Toad and I were on the same page on this topic, I'll share my "Gluten Free Hospitality" new trademark with him.
cheers.gif

muirford said:
One of the most difficult challenging special diets for me is the one that doesn't allow eggs - vegan or egg allergy. This article was in the NY TImes about using ground flaxseed and water as a substitute.
Replacing Eggs...
There is a recipe for cookies in the article that looks tempting.
-just to chime in on the topic here- you can also use half a mashed banana or 1/4 cup applesauce in place of an egg for baked goods. And as for making special foods and having to freeze them or waste them, why not just serve them to all the guests at the table? I've had all kinds of vegan breads and cookies (having been on the diet for a long time) and they taste great, I have even served them at potlucks and family dinners and everyone raves about them. The health food store I used to work at made awesome banana bread, that everyone one was completely addicted to, and that was made vegan.
And as someone with a special diet that travels, yes I do look online first at inns that say they will cater to a special diet and I go there before any others. But I don't really expect too much, as long as there is some side dish I can eat, I am happy. I think that most people that are on a restricted diet understand their limits and are used to just eating part of what everyone around them is eating. The times that someone does go out of their way to make you a tofu scramble dish it is awesome and appreciated, but it is really not expected.

Back