Eggs eggs eggs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodmorning! I joined this forum last night, after the rude guest I have had this summer I needed to find a place to vent where people understand!
Just last night I had a couple who asked me what breakfast "entailes" i gave them a brief description of a lovely breakfast and they told me they were not interested in that and they prefered eggs. In the morning instead of sitting down at 8:00am like they requested they loaded up their car while the rest of our guests waited for them. They sat down at 8:15 and recieved their eggs. As they looked at the other guests food I believe they were wishing they had not been so rude about the breakfast they were "not interested in".
People are so funny about eggs and they make their srtong dislike for them sound like an alergy. How about give us a little more information so that we can make your stay and breakfast better for you!
(what is propper etiquette on this forum should I introduce myself or just jump right in?).
We had a guest at our bandb last week. When I told her what the next days breakfast was going to consist of...( scrambled eggs,ham steak, toast,berry parfet etc)..she told me it sounded "yummy"... Next morning...when I present the food to her she informs me that she is a vegetarian and can't eat eggs. Near had a stroke I did!
wearygardener said:
We had a guest at our bandb last week. When I told her what the next days breakfast was going to consist of...( scrambled eggs,ham steak, toast,berry parfet etc)..she told me it sounded "yummy"... Next morning...when I present the food to her she informs me that she is a vegetarian and can't eat eggs. Near had a stroke I did!
Beautiful place WG. I was reading your post and read it "consist of scrambled eggs, ham and steak..." I thought hey cool you serve your guests steak and eggs!
Welcome to the forum (if you are new) if not, hello again from Virginia.
cheers.gif

Thank you very much for the welcome and for taking the time to check out our place..
regular_smile.gif

VERY nice!! Welcome.

Goodmorning! I joined this forum last night, after the rude guest I have had this summer I needed to find a place to vent where people understand!
Just last night I had a couple who asked me what breakfast "entailes" i gave them a brief description of a lovely breakfast and they told me they were not interested in that and they prefered eggs. In the morning instead of sitting down at 8:00am like they requested they loaded up their car while the rest of our guests waited for them. They sat down at 8:15 and recieved their eggs. As they looked at the other guests food I believe they were wishing they had not been so rude about the breakfast they were "not interested in".
People are so funny about eggs and they make their srtong dislike for them sound like an alergy. How about give us a little more information so that we can make your stay and breakfast better for you!
(what is propper etiquette on this forum should I introduce myself or just jump right in?).
wearygardener said:
Beautiful place WG. I was reading your post and read it "consist of scrambled eggs, ham and steak..." I thought hey cool you serve your guests steak and eggs!
Welcome to the forum (if you are new) if not, hello again from Virginia.
cheers.gif

Thank you very much for the welcome and for taking the time to check out our place..
regular_smile.gif

VERY nice!! Welcome.
Your place is beautiful gillumhouse!
regular_smile.gif

At least they said something. I had guests last week that left their entire breakfast untouched. They left me a note telling me that they had sensitive stomachs. She sent me an email later telling me that I should really ask people if they have sensitivites and give them choices. Umm....If I knew I had a sensitivity/allergy I'd make sure my hosts knew before hand, maybe thats just me.

At least they said something. I had guests last week that left their entire breakfast untouched. They left me a note telling me that they had sensitive stomachs. She sent me an email later telling me that I should really ask people if they have sensitivites and give them choices. Umm....If I knew I had a sensitivity/allergy I'd make sure my hosts knew before hand, maybe thats just me..
Miss O'Hara said:
At least they said something. I had guests last week that left their entire breakfast untouched. They left me a note telling me that they had sensitive stomachs. She sent me an email later telling me that I should really ask people if they have sensitivites and give them choices. Umm....If I knew I had a sensitivity/allergy I'd make sure my hosts knew before hand, maybe thats just me.
It is much more fun to make the innkeeper guess! THEN you get to complain and perhaps the room will be free.

At least they said something. I had guests last week that left their entire breakfast untouched. They left me a note telling me that they had sensitive stomachs. She sent me an email later telling me that I should really ask people if they have sensitivites and give them choices. Umm....If I knew I had a sensitivity/allergy I'd make sure my hosts knew before hand, maybe thats just me..
So sorry, it sounds like you got them all in a week's time.
Do you ask about allergies when they make a rez? Is it on your online form? I just added it to the check-in form and have been pleasantly surprised that guests are seeing it and filling in 'NONE' and then signing their name.
We do allergies (and other types of restrictions like low sugar or no meat) but we don't do fads. And 'sensitive' for Pete's sake how do you cater to 'sensitive'. WTH are they sensitive to? Spice? Gluten? Fat? Sugar?
I think we need to do this if there is not a morning choice of food. Not that I like it, but I do ask and then we do try to make it happen. Have a guest tonight who had something wrong last time and I just cannot remember what it was. Asked his wife. Nothing. Tomorrow morning I will find out what it is that he doesn't/can't eat.

Do you ask about allergies when they make a rez? Is it on your online form? I just added it to the check-in form and have been pleasantly surprised that guests are seeing it and filling in 'NONE' and then signing their name.
We do allergies (and other types of restrictions like low sugar or no meat) but we don't do fads. And 'sensitive' for Pete's sake how do you cater to 'sensitive'. WTH are they sensitive to? Spice? Gluten? Fat? Sugar?
I think we need to do this if there is not a morning choice of food. Not that I like it, but I do ask and then we do try to make it happen. Have a guest tonight who had something wrong last time and I just cannot remember what it was. Asked his wife. Nothing. Tomorrow morning I will find out what it is that he doesn't/can't eat.
We had one-nighters last night. We knew in advance that he had lactose issue....OK, out comes the soymilk and I plan on pancakes for the entree. Any other issues? None.
They arrived (early I might add) yesterday and as DH is checking them in SHE starts with the "We don't eat pancakes. We eat healthy." Whatever the H*ll that is. No really....we were going to feed you garbage.
confused_smile.gif

Any way, she pitched a fit that we had single serving, non-refrigerated 1/2 +1/2 out for the evening coffee, turned up her nose at the Turkey linguisa served with the entree and moved her eggs around the plate. Geesh!
Listen to me...They pay, they stay, they go away!

We had one-nighters last night. We knew in advance that he had lactose issue....OK, out comes the soymilk and I plan on pancakes for the entree. Any other issues? None.
They arrived (early I might add) yesterday and as DH is checking them in SHE starts with the "We don't eat pancakes. We eat healthy." Whatever the H*ll that is. No really....we were going to feed you garbage.
confused_smile.gif

Any way, she pitched a fit that we had single serving, non-refrigerated 1/2 +1/2 out for the evening coffee, turned up her nose at the Turkey linguisa served with the entree and moved her eggs around the plate. Geesh!
Silverspoon said:
Can you hear me now?
cheers.gif

I actually have on our website and I quote:
[COLOR= rgb(74, 74, 74)]Be sure to let us know in advance if you cannot eat pork or any of the basic breakfast ingredients (eggs are a basic breakfast ingredient).[/COLOR]
Why? Because the dude from England who said "Have you ever thought someone might not like eggs?" that was prob 6 years ago and I still chuckle about it.
Breakfast=eggs in nearly, if not all english speaking countries.
You want cornflakes, eat at home.
cry_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
confused_smile.gif

Gimme pancakes, real butter, and bacon, throw some orange or cranberry juice in there and I may never leave!!!!

Welcome from coastal New England!
welcome.gif

It doesn't ask them specifically and maybe I need to change that. There is a place where they can make comments and that's how everyelse has told me ahead of time. Then you have the overachievers who make a note in the comments section and then call on top of it, just to make sure.
I suppose if there is a section specifically for allergies/intolerance then those who wouldn't think of it would be prompted and those who freak out about it would know we're prepared for it.

confused_smile.gif

I add pumpkin to my pancakes, voila "healthy" pancakes. I'd like to find a good whole wheat recipe but I've not been impressed with anything I've tried so far. I also offer turkey bacon along with the good stuff.

confused_smile.gif

I add pumpkin to my pancakes, voila "healthy" pancakes. I'd like to find a good whole wheat recipe but I've not been impressed with anything I've tried so far. I also offer turkey bacon along with the good stuff.
Try the Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes. I think I posted it in recipes.

confused_smile.gif

They've stayed here, too. Got the whole song and dance about the single serve, non-refrigerated half & half. Not sure what people want, a cow in the dining room? And, yes, the whole 'We eat healthy' crap. Well, we don't so get over it. If you can't take a little break from your locovore lifestyle than stay home. This has to be one of THE worst places to live if you want fresh fruit and veggies that are not root veggies or apples. I'm not serving root veggies for breakfast every morning so it can be 'local'.
We have to use frozen foods even if they are local. That's healthy. Oh, and don't ask me for OJ. OJ's carbon footprint is immense. So, if you're gonna do the locovore thing- no tea, no coffee, no chocolate, no OJ, no bread (we don't grow enough wheat here), ad infinitum.

It doesn't ask them specifically and maybe I need to change that. There is a place where they can make comments and that's how everyelse has told me ahead of time. Then you have the overachievers who make a note in the comments section and then call on top of it, just to make sure.
I suppose if there is a section specifically for allergies/intolerance then those who wouldn't think of it would be prompted and those who freak out about it would know we're prepared for it.
It's a good idea to ask about allergies so you're not surprised at 8 AM by someone saying they can't eat the only thing you have in the house. We had this the other day. 'I'm on a diet. I can't eat that. Do you have an apple?' No, we DON'T have an apple. This is the first time DH has snapped back at the guest, 'We don't have an apple as we weren't planning on serving apples today. We buy everything fresh based on what you tell us.'
She also didn't follow any of the directions we spent time writing in her confirmation. Why not? 'I didn't read it.'

confused_smile.gif

They've stayed here, too. Got the whole song and dance about the single serve, non-refrigerated half & half. Not sure what people want, a cow in the dining room? And, yes, the whole 'We eat healthy' crap. Well, we don't so get over it. If you can't take a little break from your locovore lifestyle than stay home. This has to be one of THE worst places to live if you want fresh fruit and veggies that are not root veggies or apples. I'm not serving root veggies for breakfast every morning so it can be 'local'.
We have to use frozen foods even if they are local. That's healthy. Oh, and don't ask me for OJ. OJ's carbon footprint is immense. So, if you're gonna do the locovore thing- no tea, no coffee, no chocolate, no OJ, no bread (we don't grow enough wheat here), ad infinitum.
loco - vore The word says it all.

Ok, the beauty of staying at a B&B is having a decadent breakfast that you would never have at home.... at least that's why I love them so much! Fortunately, I don't have allergies and eat most anything. So take heart, and may the majority of your guests not be so picky!

confused_smile.gif

Wait until you get the Paleo diet people. Loads of interesting things they won't eat, but loads of things they can as long as it isn't cooked. think caveman before fire and you are all good!!!! No egg bake for you Creb!
As to local I am all for local when there is the choice, but not to the point of foregoing "normal" breakfast, lunch or dinner items. If I can get corn grown 100' from my front door, and the nice farmers bring it over 10 min after it is picked yea I am all about that, but to say I won't have corn all summer because it came from the next county where they got rain and we didn't - ah can you say NO!!!!
I am as green as the next person, but I am not driving to FL everytime I want a glass of OJ. Nor will I drive to Wisconsin for Cranberry Juice.
Maddie plop a carrot on the plate and say there you go, and here's your sign!!!

We normally seat four for breakfast, all at the same table.
If guests have not informed us of strong dislikes, allergies or health problems before their arrival, their breakfast choices are "take it" or "leave it". If they have not purchased our "Lazy Morning Option" then breakfast is served promptly at 8:30 a.m. If they arrive at 8:45, then their breakfast may not be as good as it would have been if they arrived on time. Breakfast is complimentary. You knew that when you booked.
I'm I a hard-ass? You betcha. Do guests complain? Nope, just the opposite. DW's breakfasts get rave reviews as does our level of hospitality.

Can I just complain about people who don't eat meat but MUST have protein for breakfast? (As in, 'Can you make me an egg to go along with the pancakes?') Please. Have a nice chicken salad at lunch time but don't stress me out with special requests when you knew last night what you were going to get. (The only person I told what breakfast was was the only person who needed something different in the morning. I am SO happy we don't tell anyone what we're serving until they sit down. It's the ones who know who have time to think up something they'd rather have.)
If you KNOW you have these special requirements why not tell us when you make the reservation while you're carrying on a 20 minute conversation.
ONE day without protein for breakfast is not going to kill anyone. Lighten up already.

Back