Eggs eggs eggs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What a surprise when I follow up with an email to this "My husband can't eat eggs" and ask about cooked in things, ie pancakes, and "Oh yeah he can eat those, just not scrambled eggs or deviled eggs"
So do ya think telling a bed and BREAKFAST that your husband CAN'T EAT EGGS might need a little clarification.
(sorry just needed to vent)

Guy checks in & asks for egg whites only. Ok, sure. Turn to wife, all is fine and asks what's for breakfast tomorrow...
I tell her and hubby pops in - guess I can go back on my health kick after we leave!

Joey Bloggs said:
So do ya think telling a bed and BREAKFAST that your husband CAN'T EAT EGGS might need a little clarification.
This is why the mantra is: throw it back on the guest.
We've had this all year...no nekkid eggs. One woman wouldn't even sit in the dining room when we served omelets.

Guy checks in & asks for egg whites only. Ok, sure. Turn to wife, all is fine and asks what's for breakfast tomorrow...
I tell her and hubby pops in - guess I can go back on my health kick after we leave!.
We get a fair number of requests for egg white omelets. No can do. What a mess and it never looks good.

I tell her and hubby pops in - guess I can go back on my health kick after we leave!.
We get a fair number of requests for egg white omelets. No can do. What a mess and it never looks good.
That is why I added a drop of yellow food coloring when I did eggwhite only.

Goodmorning! I joined this forum last night, after the rude guest I have had this summer I needed to find a place to vent where people understand!
Just last night I had a couple who asked me what breakfast "entailes" i gave them a brief description of a lovely breakfast and they told me they were not interested in that and they prefered eggs. In the morning instead of sitting down at 8:00am like they requested they loaded up their car while the rest of our guests waited for them. They sat down at 8:15 and recieved their eggs. As they looked at the other guests food I believe they were wishing they had not been so rude about the breakfast they were "not interested in".
People are so funny about eggs and they make their srtong dislike for them sound like an alergy. How about give us a little more information so that we can make your stay and breakfast better for you!
(what is propper etiquette on this forum should I introduce myself or just jump right in?)

Goodmorning! I joined this forum last night, after the rude guest I have had this summer I needed to find a place to vent where people understand!
Just last night I had a couple who asked me what breakfast "entailes" i gave them a brief description of a lovely breakfast and they told me they were not interested in that and they prefered eggs. In the morning instead of sitting down at 8:00am like they requested they loaded up their car while the rest of our guests waited for them. They sat down at 8:15 and recieved their eggs. As they looked at the other guests food I believe they were wishing they had not been so rude about the breakfast they were "not interested in".
People are so funny about eggs and they make their srtong dislike for them sound like an alergy. How about give us a little more information so that we can make your stay and breakfast better for you!
(what is propper etiquette on this forum should I introduce myself or just jump right in?).
Jumping right in is OK f it is not a slam. You are fine - in my opinion with it being a vent. An intro wuld be nice though so we have an idea of your perspective with your opinions.

(what is propper etiquette on this forum should I introduce myself or just jump right in?).
sunshine85 said:
(what is propper etiquette on this forum should I introduce myself or just jump right in?)
You can do a short intro if you want. Otherwise, as long as you don't come on telling everyone they're doing it all wrong and your way is the right way, no one will even care if you don't intro yourself.
welcome.gif

Oh, if you get guests who hold up everyone else, do what all good parents do- start without them and make them wait when they do finally arrive. If you told them 8 AM, then 8 AM it is. If everyone else can do it, don't make the good people suffer waiting for the idjits.

welcome.gif
You can jump right in, but telling us a little bit about yourself (how many rooms, what part of the world, etc.) is always appreciated. It helps us understand your perspective a little more.
I understand your frustration about PITAs this summer. I've had a couple of whoppers!
I agree that if those guests were so rude as to load their car at the beginning of breakfast, start without them. I stayed in a b&b once where in the room diary, several people wrote very nice things and then added to be sure you get to breakfast right on the dot because they'll start without you and breakfast was wonderful. I'm sure that helped the innkeeper keep on schedule!

Thank you for the pointers and kindness! I feel very welcomed!
I'm meghan and I have a 6 room B&B close to Lake Michigan. Married with a 16 month old and a husband who has another job out side of the house. We purchased the b&b 3.5 years ago!

Thank you for the pointers and kindness! I feel very welcomed!
I'm meghan and I have a 6 room B&B close to Lake Michigan. Married with a 16 month old and a husband who has another job out side of the house. We purchased the b&b 3.5 years ago!.
welcome.gif
from Ohio!!!
WOW! You are busy!!!

We had first time B&B goers here this week and they were interested in all aspects of how we do this. One of them asked, 'So, if I told you right now I could not have these pancakes, what would you do?'
Because they were open, so was I. I told them that it totally depended on how they asked. If they demanded something different I would tell them that today's breakfast is 'take it or leave it'. Then they wanted to know how to ask for something different. His wife piped in with, 'If I eat this I will die.' I said, 'That's about it. Otherwise it's what I said before.'
Because we tell guests what is for breakfast the next day, we tend to head off those issues in advance, ie - the last minute changes.
Altho, one guest very graciously ate completely around her eggs this morning. Ate every other thing on the plate. Never said a word.
Stressing the cook with last minute changes is not in my best interests.

Joey Bloggs said:
We've had this all year...no nekkid eggs. One woman wouldn't even sit in the dining room when we served omelets..
Really? I mean SERIOUSLY? Wouldn't eat in the dining room? Oh my!! You guys are scaring me LOLOL What are nekkid eggs?

Joey Bloggs said:
We've had this all year...no nekkid eggs. One woman wouldn't even sit in the dining room when we served omelets..
Really? I mean SERIOUSLY? Wouldn't eat in the dining room? Oh my!! You guys are scaring me LOLOL What are nekkid eggs?
ServingSouthernComfort said:
Eggs. Scrambled, omelets, quiche, anything where you can SEE egg.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
So in other words, egg on their face.
wink_smile.gif

sunshine85 said:
You have come to the right place! Welcome Sunshine. Just as a warning there is a sunshine on this forum, not 85 tho. You can always alter your user ID to read something abbreviated etc. Wouldn't want y'all to be confused. I mean, for us to confuse you, see it is already happening, I am stutter-typing. :)
welcome.gif

Most here know who each other are, we post or share then remove so we can get the gist of who and where you are. But I prefer to remain anon for the general public by chance they search so I can speak more freely.
Okay I replied before reading, what's new...We have had a few innkeepers here from MI. I follow a few on twitter (maybe even you?) and you guys are rockin' with the tourism ads right now! 3.5 years and you are only just now finding us...well I foresee a back log of pitas stories in your future to share with us. (PS there is a glossary of terms as we have our own inn-speak for the most part here now)

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
oh! was at a block party and heard someone saying she has an allergic reaction to eating eggs but can eat baked goods and quiches with eggs in them. which sounds crazy ... but ...
i found this article that makes sense. cooking the egg within, say, a baked good, heats and destroys the egg protein to such a degree that the person's allergic antibodies don't react. so i'm wondering if that is why my guest with egg allergy ate some quiche with no problem, which i of course baked at 375 for 30 minutes ... but could not eat scrambled eggs cooked on the stove top for just a few minutes. makes sense to me ... but they have to use caution.

Welcome...
sunshine85 said:
... they told me they were not interested in that and they prefered eggs. In the morning instead of sitting down at 8:00am like they requested they loaded up their car while the rest of our guests waited for them. They sat down at 8:15 and recieved their eggs. As they looked at the other guests food I believe they were wishing they had not been so rude about the breakfast they were "not interested in"....
That's Schadenfreude! (Enjoyment in the misery of others). There are days that is the highlight of my day, some fool setting themselves up in that way.
The fake egg allergies are the most fun. Ask them if they have their epinephrine (adrenaline) shot handy, just in case. Ask them if they are also allergic to duck eggs. For the most part egg allergies are a childhood allergy and many aren't allergic to duck eggs, just chicken. Ask if the have had their flu vaccine last year (or this year) If they don't really know, don't have their shot... they are faking it. It's fun to see them squirm a bit instead of being an adult and just plain saying that they don't eat eggs that they can see. And they can't take the flu shot... it has eggs in it!
Egg white intolerance is different. These people generally can have small amounts of eggs, they aren't allergic, per se. (It's the whites... not the yolk they are intolerant of).

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
oh! was at a block party and heard someone saying she has an allergic reaction to eating eggs but can eat baked goods and quiches with eggs in them. which sounds crazy ... but ...
i found this article that makes sense. cooking the egg within, say, a baked good, heats and destroys the egg protein to such a degree that the person's allergic antibodies don't react. so i'm wondering if that is why my guest with egg allergy ate some quiche with no problem, which i of course baked at 375 for 30 minutes ... but could not eat scrambled eggs cooked on the stove top for just a few minutes. makes sense to me ... but they have to use caution.
That's egg white intolerance... not egg allergy. Chicken egg allergies are deadly. Time to be carrying adrenaline.

Welcome...
sunshine85 said:
... they told me they were not interested in that and they prefered eggs. In the morning instead of sitting down at 8:00am like they requested they loaded up their car while the rest of our guests waited for them. They sat down at 8:15 and recieved their eggs. As they looked at the other guests food I believe they were wishing they had not been so rude about the breakfast they were "not interested in"....
That's Schadenfreude! (Enjoyment in the misery of others). There are days that is the highlight of my day, some fool setting themselves up in that way.
The fake egg allergies are the most fun. Ask them if they have their epinephrine (adrenaline) shot handy, just in case. Ask them if they are also allergic to duck eggs. For the most part egg allergies are a childhood allergy and many aren't allergic to duck eggs, just chicken. Ask if the have had their flu vaccine last year (or this year) If they don't really know, don't have their shot... they are faking it. It's fun to see them squirm a bit instead of being an adult and just plain saying that they don't eat eggs that they can see. And they can't take the flu shot... it has eggs in it!
Egg white intolerance is different. These people generally can have small amounts of eggs, they aren't allergic, per se. (It's the whites... not the yolk they are intolerant of).
My dad cannot get the flu shot. Eggs make him very ill. He does not, never has, traveled with an epi pen. Some people just get sick, not deathly ill. No one wants to spend their vacation writhing in pain because they ate something they knew they shouldn't.
How many people in this big world have ever SEEN a duck egg much less eaten one? They have an egg allergy. No need to quiz them like you're a physician.
'Can you eat foods with eggs baked into them or will that make you sick as well?' Yes or no, that's all there is to that. Of course we hate the guest who is just messing with us because we really don't know if they have an allergy or an aversion. But they are few and far between.
I will suggest guests might want to TRY duck or goose eggs on their own time. And I let them know that it is possibly the chicken FEED that they have the allergy to. Whether they ever try it or not, I won't know.

Back