Eggstenuating Circumstances

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
We often put out hard boiled eggs in a bowl when we are serving sweet entrees. Poppa discovered a method of shaking eggs in a glass of water to make them easier to peel. He insists we should serve these eggs that are now cracked and crumbly all over... I say: Presentation does not look good esthetically; there is now no guarantee of non-contamination in the guest's eyes; and their refrigerated shelf-life will be drastically reduced. He says: Much less stress on the guest to peel. Period. What do you all say?

Try a few one day. As he observes n o o n e trying one, your point will have been made.
Sometimes for packed lunches I will try to get local Araucana eggs. Naturally pastel green/blue.

I wouldn't eat an egg with a cracked shell. Why does he want to change what works?

I would not have a problem with unpeeled or peeled hard boiled eggs, but cracked would likely be a little disturbing (was this already cracked before boiling???)

Would not like a pre-cracked egg. I would be suspicious of HOW it got in that condition. And when.

Would not like a pre-cracked egg. I would be suspicious of HOW it got in that condition. And when..
gillumhouse said:
Would not like a pre-cracked egg. I would be suspicious of HOW it got in that condition. And when.
Seems to be cracked egg mean bacteria, and would have to be tossed. ? Unless you pickle em! :)

Would not like a pre-cracked egg. I would be suspicious of HOW it got in that condition. And when..
gillumhouse said:
Seems to be cracked egg mean bacteria, and would have to be tossed. ? Unless you pickle em! :)
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Oh please, give me pickled eggs. Two friends, one in WV and one in Ohio at the time (I was in Illinois), had a gallon jar filled with the most beautiful pickled eggs when I arrived for a visit. I was in hog heaven!

gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Oh please, give me pickled eggs. Two friends, one in WV and one in Ohio at the time (I was in Illinois), had a gallon jar filled with the most beautiful pickled eggs when I arrived for a visit. I was in hog heaven!
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Never toss out your beet jars...fill em up with boiled eggs.

Thanks for the input, lesson learned. Egg salad for lunch today!
(FWIW, served to guests yesterday, and 12.5% took the 'cracked' eggs, about the same as when we serve 'uncracked'. ) But not again.

I just put some eggs on to boil. You got me hungry.....but I will crack my own.

Back