Election Effects?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
October is the end of our crazy-busy season, and November starts to gradually slow down, but I've noticed this year that we are very slow for the first week of November. Also, the phone/emails are very quiet the past few days.
Do you think the upcoming election has folks sticking closer to home so they can vote?

We have zero for this coming weekend, but we have three room nights (two rooms, one party) on the 3rd and 4th... repeat guest bringing his wife and an associate. He was here a few weeks ago to compaign for one of the presidential candidates, going door to door, and is returning. Dh and I happen to be for the other political party, but we'll be glad to take his money host him here.
I was just thinking we should go away somewhere this weekend. One of the lines at dh's factory blew up last week (amazingly, no one got hurt!) so Extrusion is laid off. He's in Fabrication, and still working, but maybe they'll take him off mandatory overtime and he'll have Friday off for a change. I wonder if he could get Monday off, too. We have the checkin mentioned above, but that wouldn't be until late.
I have no idea where we'd go, but I'm ready for a road trip.
=)
Kk.

Since I am a poll worker, I block off Nov 2 & 3. I have a freebie coming in on Nov 1 and took a one night this morning for Nov 6. Almost gave it up because of a mistake on when my grandsons are coming in with our daughter (cannot imagine 12 hours in a car with her!!). They are coming in on the 7th and I had them in on the 6th. Whew!! Glad I checked. The only other paid rez as of now for Nov is Nov 29 and nothing for Dec. But all year, reservations have been made closer to the arrival date.
I am getting a LOT of hits from travelwithkidsabout.com. I think they are looking at my Thanksgiving package. No takers yet.

Since I am a poll worker, I block off Nov 2 & 3. I have a freebie coming in on Nov 1 and took a one night this morning for Nov 6. Almost gave it up because of a mistake on when my grandsons are coming in with our daughter (cannot imagine 12 hours in a car with her!!). They are coming in on the 7th and I had them in on the 6th. Whew!! Glad I checked. The only other paid rez as of now for Nov is Nov 29 and nothing for Dec. But all year, reservations have been made closer to the arrival date.
I am getting a LOT of hits from travelwithkidsabout.com. I think they are looking at my Thanksgiving package. No takers yet..
Wow, I just read your Thanksgiving package and it sounds awesome! God love you for sharing yourself and your house like that on a holiday...I don't think I could do it!
I blocked out Sunday-Thursday nights the week of Thanksgiving and am greatly looking forward to hanging out in my pj's and eating junk food for 4 days straight!

I am getting a LOT of hits from travelwithkidsabout.com. I think they are looking at my Thanksgiving package. No takers yet..
Wow, I just read your Thanksgiving package and it sounds awesome! God love you for sharing yourself and your house like that on a holiday...I don't think I could do it!
I blocked out Sunday-Thursday nights the week of Thanksgiving and am greatly looking forward to hanging out in my pj's and eating junk food for 4 days straight!
Thanks. We offer it for New Years too. We did for Christmas in the past, but this year, I have decided to just cook dinner for our friends as usual and if there is anyone in-house they are welcome to join us as our dinner guests but no 18th century.

Nov. 2 was our first day free of guests in two months, so I had blocked it off awhile ago - also my father's birthday, so he will come for dinner. About two weeks ago I decided to block off Nov. 4 so that this time I can finally stay up to watch the results. Last election I went to bed thinking one candidate had won and woke up with the other one. Yesterday I noticed that we had no bookings for Nov. 3, so I blocked it off - because one night is really not any time off. November will be our time off month - on the 9th we go to a conference and then a few days in the Outer Banks - we won't be back in business until the 20th.
We do have some arrivals scheduled for the 5th and a full house for the weekend. This time of the year our weekday business goes away anyway, until around the holidays.

I also had read her Thanksgiving package awhile ago and thought it sounded really neat, made me wish I could be there....but I will be here cooking dinner for my extended family
chef.gif
Have you done this before? If so, do you have pictures?

Nov. 2 was our first day free of guests in two months, so I had blocked it off awhile ago - also my father's birthday, so he will come for dinner. About two weeks ago I decided to block off Nov. 4 so that this time I can finally stay up to watch the results. Last election I went to bed thinking one candidate had won and woke up with the other one. Yesterday I noticed that we had no bookings for Nov. 3, so I blocked it off - because one night is really not any time off. November will be our time off month - on the 9th we go to a conference and then a few days in the Outer Banks - we won't be back in business until the 20th.
We do have some arrivals scheduled for the 5th and a full house for the weekend. This time of the year our weekday business goes away anyway, until around the holidays..
I wish I had done the same. Right now we have just two rooms booked for election night, and I am definitely going to stay up to watch the results so I will likely ask them if they mind doing a "later" breakfast. I should have blocked it off when I had the chance!

I think you are correct about people being tired, it's been such a roller coater of a year on many fronts.
I did see an encouraging piece on the news this morning, about the folks who will weather this recession the best are those with stable jobs, in 30 year mortgages which won't change, and who aren't retiring for at least 10 years. From what I know this profile fits a lot of our guests, so I'm hoping that bodes well for us.
Plus, as long as the market stays down, so do oil prices so that will help travel as well, I hope.

Think of me y'all. It is my bday that day. And then think of Copperhead over eating homemade pasta and wine in Italy! Her birthday is also the 4th.

I think you are correct about people being tired, it's been such a roller coater of a year on many fronts.
I did see an encouraging piece on the news this morning, about the folks who will weather this recession the best are those with stable jobs, in 30 year mortgages which won't change, and who aren't retiring for at least 10 years. From what I know this profile fits a lot of our guests, so I'm hoping that bodes well for us.
Plus, as long as the market stays down, so do oil prices so that will help travel as well, I hope..
InnsiderInfo said:
That would be us. Well, assuming the demand for window gaskets remains high, and dh will be employed. Dh keeps talking about how low his 401K has dropped. I keep saying, so? Give it 20 years...
=)
Kk.

InnsiderInfo said:
October is the end of our crazy-busy season, and November starts to gradually slow down, but I've noticed this year that we are very slow for the first week of November. Also, the phone/emails are very quiet the past few days.
Do you think the upcoming election has folks sticking closer to home so they can vote?
We have had one caller (OK, 2 because they are tag teaming me with the calls
wink_smile.gif
) for Election Night. Astounded there were no TV's in the rooms, how will they keep up with what's going on, no they don't want to watch with 'other people' who might have different opinions than theirs, etc. Booked anyway.
My guess is they are doing an absentee vote as would anyone who wants to go on vacation but still wants to vote. I think people are just tired. They're beat to a pulp with everything that has happened this year to their investments, their jobs, their prospects for the future, etc.
Altho, the money is still out there...guests this weekend who came here with kids to shop. Kids go to private boarding school, have $40k SUV at school, are being completely outfitted with new clothing, etc. (Just looked up tuition...$42k EACH)
What I think we may see are folks who are used to going away may scale back on WHERE they stay meaning we may get more of the crowd that normally stays next door but doesn't want to pay $100/night more.

October thankfully is the return of bookings for us
regular_smile.gif
Some midweek guests here for 3 nights. But, we have no guests this weekend so far
sad_smile.gif
OK by me...we just got an invite to an awesome Halloween Party.
ghostsmiley.gif
Many, many people in our State are doing early voting...they want to make sure that their votes are counted
wink_smile.gif

Election Day we have half our rooms booked, including a French Canadian. Recently we've had some European guests who are quite interested in the outcome of the presidential election here in the States. Whatever the outcome, this is a history making election!

As another poster noted, bookings are being made closer to their travel. I do not think it is the election (actual voting) as it is the economy. People are afraid of their investments and its affects on their future. Jobs - layoffs etc.
I have had more people when traveling for fun or romance, pay by cash than any other time I can remember. Yes Bree, no complaints about that! I think they do not want to use their card and incur more debt now.

Think of me y'all. It is my bday that day. And then think of Copperhead over eating homemade pasta and wine in Italy! Her birthday is also the 4th..
JBJ - We leave early Friday for Barcelona so will take this opportunity to wish you the Happiest of Birthdays. Yes, I will toast to you on the 4th - heck i will toast to us through out our journey. We will be in Malta on the 4th, a small island off the coast of Italy with temps in the mid 70's this time of year, then off to Naples, Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Nice, France.
I have a note to toast to all my fellow innkeepers with Nov. birthdays. Hope each one is special.

Think of me y'all. It is my bday that day. And then think of Copperhead over eating homemade pasta and wine in Italy! Her birthday is also the 4th..
JBJ - We leave early Friday for Barcelona so will take this opportunity to wish you the Happiest of Birthdays. Yes, I will toast to you on the 4th - heck i will toast to us through out our journey. We will be in Malta on the 4th, a small island off the coast of Italy with temps in the mid 70's this time of year, then off to Naples, Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Nice, France.
I have a note to toast to all my fellow innkeepers with Nov. birthdays. Hope each one is special.
Copperhead said:
Bring us some pics to share. Have a super time and happy birthday to yooooooooooooooooouuuu!

Bon VOYAGE!!! Sounds like a wonderful time. Except for Naples..impressed me the wrong way....:-(
Are you doing a cruise?

Happy b-day!

Back