Electric Blankets?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
Does anyone use them? Are they safe? If you do or have, even just for personal use, do you have a recommendation?

I've used one all my life. Love it.
Would not use in a guest room, but for personal use, sure.

We have a Biddeford dual control queen-size. This is the 2nd or 3rd year for it.It is very lightweight - kind of like a fleece blanket. Himself cannot stand anything heavy on his polio foot. Love it. We turn it on about 20 min before going to bed and it makes for a cozy sheets (flannel or fleece this time of year) then Himself turns his side down to 4 or 3 and I turn my side off. It automatically goes off after 10 hours. We have had no problem with this one. I do not remember the brands of the predecessors, but we were only getting 1 year out of them - my side stopped working (perhaps because I kept tripping on the cord - now tucked under the bed better). The electric blanket must be the topmost item - no sheet or blanket or bed spread on top of it. Makes winter in this old house more tolerable.

No particular brand but get one with dual controls so you can keep one side cooler than the other. Never sleep on top of it. If you're a tosser (not in the UK sense) don't get one. You don't want to wrap yourself up in it while sleeping.
They are great for warming up the bed before you get in. Just don't have a ton of covers over the electric blanket.

know highland was thinking about it ie bed would be cosy for guest to get into to but was worried about spills and leaks (if you see what I mean)

I wouldn't be without mine. Never for guests...but for me...I love getting into a toasty bed in the winter.:)

When I was single I loved to warm the bed before I got in. Now, DH warms it for me. I would not put an electric blanket in a guest room since the risks of overheating out weigh the benefit, imho.
No, we use fleece sheets which are warmer than standard cotton sheets in the dead of winter. It is a compromise but our guests have always been pleasantly surprised. The fleece sheets are really easy to launder unlike an electric blanket.

When I was single I loved to warm the bed before I got in. Now, DH warms it for me. I would not put an electric blanket in a guest room since the risks of overheating out weigh the benefit, imho.
No, we use fleece sheets which are warmer than standard cotton sheets in the dead of winter. It is a compromise but our guests have always been pleasantly surprised. The fleece sheets are really easy to launder unlike an electric blanket..
I offered fleece sheets to guests - no takers. WE love them especially in the teens and single digit weather. It has warmed up enough now to go back to flannel (guest beds all have flannel). Fleece is soft, cozy, and WARM. Just 10 minutes with the e-blanket and I can turn off the e-blanket for the rest of the night.

No, we use fleece sheets which are warmer than standard cotton sheets in the dead of winter. It is a compromise but our guests have always been pleasantly surprised. The fleece sheets are really easy to launder unlike an electric blanket..
I offered fleece sheets to guests - no takers. WE love them especially in the teens and single digit weather. It has warmed up enough now to go back to flannel (guest beds all have flannel). Fleece is soft, cozy, and WARM. Just 10 minutes with the e-blanket and I can turn off the e-blanket for the rest of the night.
I bet your guests have never tried sleeping in fleece. We didn't give them a choice...but of course if any complained we would have changed the linens. I was skeptical myself the first time I hear of them. But on really cold New England winter nights they are comforting and warm. I like them better than flannel for their softness and warmth, although flannel runs a close second!

I have fleece sheets but I stopped using them as I toss and turn a lot and they make it hard with flannel pj's

I have fleece sheets but I stopped using them as I toss and turn a lot and they make it hard with flannel pj's
EmptyNest said:
It's like those old flannel boards we had as kids where you stuck the different pieces on the board to create scenes.
You can't move!

There IS a solution for that problem......

There IS a solution for that problem......
Sorry that solution is not acceptable any longer. In my younger days...yes...but not now
cry_smile.gif

We have an electric mattress warmer instead of an electric blanket. Two zones for separate heat control. I turn it on about half an hour before going to bed and it warms both the mattress and the blankets on it. Soooo nice! We don't even heat our bedroom since all we need is a toasty bed. Sunbeam is the brand.
I would NOT put these in guest rooms.

We offer dual-controlled heated mattress pads on all of our guestroom beds in the winter months. Guests LOVE them and are pleasantly surprised. When I forget to mention what the white control boxes are for on either side of the beds, the guests sometimes come up with some pretty funny guesses!
Many guests have told me that after using them here, they've gone and purchased them for their own beds at home.

We have an electric mattress pad... dual controls. Good thing too, one of us likes it, the other thinks it's a way to cook humans. Nice to warm up the bed but too hot to sleep with. But then, the house is fully heated.

Back