Electric Blankets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
We have an electric blanket on our bed in the winter and you can't beat getting into a warmed bed on a cold winters night.
I'm considering getting them for the guest rooms, but am concerned they could be abused. Would people leave them on all night, or put them on for hours before they go to bed. Could I have them hard-wired into the wall on a timer socket.... etc.
I recent news item in the UK revealed that 1 in 5 house fires are caused by electric blankets, although the major blame was on old electric blankets.
I wonder what others think of this, do you have them in guest rooms, are they abused, do you have special safety systems in place.

Yes, they'll get abused... but electricity is a cost of doing business.
Be sure to get the new kind that automatically shut off and don't cause fires.
I just keep my house warm all winter... but I added insulation and new windows and a high efficiency furnace so that it would be feasible!
=)
Kk.

Do you have enough outlets near beds and extenstion cords and extra burden of possibility of people tripping etc?
Have you thought about putting a wool beneath the mattress pad, those are super warmies! Ye r in sheep countreee :)
Prob more than ya want to spend though, Ijust saw the prices...unless ye know a couple sheep needin' shearin'? Clik here

Do you have enough outlets near beds and extenstion cords and extra burden of possibility of people tripping etc?
Have you thought about putting a wool beneath the mattress pad, those are super warmies! Ye r in sheep countreee :)
Prob more than ya want to spend though, Ijust saw the prices...unless ye know a couple sheep needin' shearin'? Clik here.
Joey Bloggs said:
Prob more than ya want to spend though, Ijust saw the prices...unless ye know a couple sheep needin' shearin'? Clik here
We have SnugFleece wool mattress pads on all beds here, even ours...and guests love the beds. Cool in summer, warm in winter....get the machine washable ones.

I use down duvets. Not the same as the bed being pre-warmed, but ever so much better than worrying that guests won't 'get' how to use an electric blanket. Given the problems with 'simple' things like thermostats on the wall, not sure I'd trust guests to shut off the blankets before falling asleep. OR, lying down on top of them and causing problems that way.
In Ireland, my cousin uses the bed-warming 'blankets' that go under the sheets. But you really have to be sure the guests shut them off. Not sure how she does that. She TOLD us, but I didn't understand and had the suitcase on the bed. It was completely damp under the suitcase as the moisture in the bed had no where to go. (It's really damp in Ireland, you know!)

I use down comforters in 2 of my rooms and fiber-fill comforter in my feather-free room. Each room has electric baseboard heating that the guest sets to as warm or cool as they want it.

You can get ones that turn off automatically cos I used to have one that went on between the mattress and mattress protector. It could be part of the turn down service that you put it on but that does make extra work. I like a cosy bed but in the winter I close the curtains for late arrivals and turn on the bedside lights so it looks nice when I open the door for them. |(I see each guest to their room) I think honestly people can barely use the appliances they already have I just don't think they would get used. We are sometimes asked for hot water bottles and we keep a few in as an alternative idea.

You could warm a few bricks in the fire and put under the beds.
Just looking at economical green ideas...actually bricks put off fumes, so maybe a rock. :)

I got a flannel suit to wear so I can pre-warm the beds before our guests retire at night........... not!

You could warm a few bricks in the fire and put under the beds.
Just looking at economical green ideas...actually bricks put off fumes, so maybe a rock. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Just looking at economical green ideas...actually bricks put off fumes, so maybe a rock. :)
You have no idea how inherently funny that is to me.
teeth_smile.gif

We use down comforters in our rooms, given that we are in a more moderate climate, these usually do the job in the winter here.
After reading a couple of posts from Morticia about finding wet bedding, I would be conserned of these types of issues.

I have the dual control electric underblankets and guests love them. I don't have an issue with them keeping them on all night (they have a 10 hour cutoff I think) and they are certainly cheaper than keeping the heat turned up.

The electric blankets that automatically shut off are definitely a great choice. Also you could always make them something that is available upon request. Then you would cut down on the amount of blankets on at once and you would know the people with them will most likely be using them properly if they went through the effort to request one. :D

Thanks for all the feedback.
I guess all the comments I'm erring away from the electric blankets. We have 15 tog combination down duvets on all our beds and thick matress protectors which are plush velor on one side for winter, and cotton on the other for summer.
My reason for considering them is that all our sheets are Egyptian cotton and that can feel quite cold when you first get into bed.

I guess all the comments I'm erring away from the electric blankets. We have 15 tog combination down duvets on all our beds and thick matress protectors which are plush velor on one side for winter, and cotton on the other for summer.
My reason for considering them is that all our sheets are Egyptian cotton and that can feel quite cold when you first get into bed..
Flannel sheets for winter? I know it's a bigger expense than buying electric blankets, but it might be welcome.

My reason for considering them is that all our sheets are Egyptian cotton and that can feel quite cold when you first get into bed..
Flannel sheets for winter? I know it's a bigger expense than buying electric blankets, but it might be welcome.
Is that what we call Flannelette? Brushed Cotton ?
When you add on all the electric costs I expect new sheets for winter will work out cheaper.

When you add on all the electric costs I expect new sheets for winter will work out cheaper.
Highlands John said:
Yes, that's it. 'Fuzzy' sheets! Even microfiber would do the trick, but there's nothing like fuzzy cotton! And they always have much cuter prints than the summer sheets...polar bears with scarves, skating penguins, snowflakes-fun stuff I wish summer sheets had!

If I had my way I would have nothing BUT PRINT sheets. I have one set from the orig purchase and they keep going strong, nothing shows on them. I find the high thread count sheets are as hot as the flannelette sheets too (on my own bed). Too warm for me, even in winter have to have a cool bed and cool pillow.

Back