electronic books!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I have decided I love these! (don't get me wrong I love real books to!) but I am or have been so mad busy I can never get to the book shop but now I can download a book have it straight away and usually a 1/3 of the price and I don't have to find space on the shelf for it. Just bought a book on how B&B's can compete with chains so will read and report back. DH bought me a Sony reader for xmas but I think I am going to have to save up for a Kindle as well cos amazon is so easy to use. Also anything over 100 years is out of copywrite and free ie Bronte, Austin, Arthur conan Doyle (sherlock homes) etc.

I have the ipad. i buy almost everything from the kindle store though as it is so easy to use but I like the size of the ipad for reading as well as it does other stuff.

I love my Kindle. I have downloaded lots of the free ones now in public domain. Ones I never read in my younger days or those I want to reread. Just finished "THE HELP" and LOVED IT!

I love my Kindle. I have downloaded lots of the free ones now in public domain. Ones I never read in my younger days or those I want to reread. Just finished "THE HELP" and LOVED IT!.
My aunt bought me that for my birthday! it is excellent!

camberly, we have a Sony & love it. We also have LookBooks (not so much...the love that is...but they can view image based pdfs better). DH has toyed with getting a Kindle, but ended up getting some sort of pad somewhere & he can get the kindle app.
I will say - I have the kindle app on a computer and on my phone. for the occasional book I want in e format and it only comes in Kindle, that does the trick. (The app is free)

Ack, you guys are killing me. I download the 'books on tape' to my MP3 player but I keep getting sucked into looking at the e-books at the same time. I read the book review sections and would buy every book in there if I had one of the handhelds! My library doesn't have a lot of books, so I generally have to buy them at the used book store.
If you had to pick...which is the best of the handhelds? And why? I think I'd prefer one that also has internet acceesibility.

My dd has a Nook. When we got it for her, it was the "winner of the e-readers" for us becuase it could be hooked up to the public library system in my state and she could "rent" ebooks onto it. They would stay on her ereader for 28 days and then be deleted. By using my library card.
But now, apparently, Kindle will start doing the same thing...oh well. Win some, lose some.

Ack, you guys are killing me. I download the 'books on tape' to my MP3 player but I keep getting sucked into looking at the e-books at the same time. I read the book review sections and would buy every book in there if I had one of the handhelds! My library doesn't have a lot of books, so I generally have to buy them at the used book store.
If you had to pick...which is the best of the handhelds? And why? I think I'd prefer one that also has internet acceesibility..
I have the sony and I like it really easy to use but you can't download anything from Amazon - there are plenty of other places to shop mind so its not that bad also you can download PDF files which I don't think the kindle does. However the kindle works with your wifi ie say you see a book you want you can download it straight to you kindle the sony you have to download to your computer then transfer. Sony you can also download publications i get hospitality today free by email then transfer it to read. I do have the kindle app for my computer but would like to have something I can take with me more easily ie waiting for a doctors appointment. Don't know about its ease of use mind.

If you had to pick...which is the best of the handhelds? And why? I think I'd prefer one that also has internet acceesibility..
I just wish the Kindle was in color so I could do magazines. That is the benefit of the ipad. But some say the glare from tablets is bad for reading. I haven't tried one so I don't know. Nice with the Kindle to increase font sizes :) It has internet access...but way crude....too hard to manuver around with the kindle controls..and not great in black and white.

I just wish the Kindle was in color so I could do magazines. That is the benefit of the ipad. But some say the glare from tablets is bad for reading. I haven't tried one so I don't know. Nice with the Kindle to increase font sizes :) It has internet access...but way crude....too hard to manuver around with the kindle controls..and not great in black and white.
the sony is only in black and white also. I have the kindle app on my computer but find reading a whole book on it makes my eyes tired.

The ipad is adjustable for glare or screen intensity. I have the first kindle and I found I never used it. The ipad never leaves my hands after 8 at night. I am reading, playing or surfing the net. There is a kinlde ap which is what I use. I was using their ibooks but they did an upgrade and wiped out everything I had bought. So ...
The pain of the ipad is the price.

I LOVE my kindle. The newer versions do pdf files also. One thing that makes it really work for me is the leather jacket I bought for it which has a built in light. When I wake up in the middle of the night (unfortunately it happens often), I've got my kindle next to my bed and the light doesn't affect DH.
Even though they don't tell you, you can actually share files. You don't have to buy all your books from amazon. Yes, I know there's copyright, laws, etc, but I really think of it like having a book and lending/giving it to a friend. When a friend came to visit, she had more than 1,000 books on her kindle, so now I do too
devil_smile.gif

I LOVE my kindle. The newer versions do pdf files also. One thing that makes it really work for me is the leather jacket I bought for it which has a built in light. When I wake up in the middle of the night (unfortunately it happens often), I've got my kindle next to my bed and the light doesn't affect DH.
Even though they don't tell you, you can actually share files. You don't have to buy all your books from amazon. Yes, I know there's copyright, laws, etc, but I really think of it like having a book and lending/giving it to a friend. When a friend came to visit, she had more than 1,000 books on her kindle, so now I do too
devil_smile.gif
You can only share books for 10 days and the publisher has to give permission for them to be shared. I tried to do one with my sister and they would not allow it :-(

devil_smile.gif
You can only share books for 10 days and the publisher has to give permission for them to be shared. I tried to do one with my sister and they would not allow it :-(
This "share" is not through amazon. They were downloaded free from the internet. With a usb I connected to my laptop to her kindle, copied the files, then downloaded them to my kindle. This was 4 months ago and all is well.

devil_smile.gif
This "share" is not through amazon. They were downloaded free from the internet. With a usb I connected to my laptop to her kindle, copied the files, then downloaded them to my kindle. This was 4 months ago and all is well.
Oh I didn't understand. Yes, you can download the freeones on line yourself at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/
url for free public domain books. You can also share Kindle Books like I said..for 10 days....with other kindle users...if the publisher grants permission to do so with their books. Of course I doubt the best sellers would do that because they are out to make$$.

devil_smile.gif
url for free public domain books. You can also share Kindle Books like I said..for 10 days....with other kindle users...if the publisher grants permission to do so with their books. Of course I doubt the best sellers would do that because they are out to make$$.
Nope, these are not public domain. They are major best sellers and authors.

devil_smile.gif
Where did she get free best sellers..please point me there :)

devil_smile.gif
Where did she get free best sellers..please point me there :)
They were downloaded from a torrent site. The one they used is no longer open for new registration, but here is another one you might want to check out: the pira teb ay. org/about It's my understanding that files are stored on many, many sites and when using a site like this pulls the files from those other sites all over the internet. I just did a search on the site for "best sellers" and it has NYtimes lists.
I am not recommending this site as I have never used it, but this is the way my friend did it, and then I copied her files. My files are all .mobi files
I would run a virus scan on anything downloaded this way.

also discovered last night - a friend of mine bought a kindle for herself, mum and aunt (the aunt and mum arnt very technological so asked her to order for them) discovered as they were all bought at the same time on the same account and with the same card amazon sees them as 1 account and you can buy one book and download for free to all 3. Thought this might be good if you have a friend who wants one or a mother daughter team etc.

Back