Elopement Today

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
Today was the first Elopement Package. They chose the Log House for the venue. All went smoothly sort of. We kept mixing up the bride's name (fortunately she laughed) and it is all on video. We teased that the Groom DID get cold feet - in the log house everything was COLD!! They liked it so all was good and they gave permission to use the photos online. Did the cake and toast and the paperwork at the B & B (to warm up). They are off to explore the area and will come back for the night and breakfast before going home tomorrow. (We only had 6 between us - they have 7 plus a granddaughter (4 months old) ). It will be nicer in the summer. Learned some things to do differently for next time too.
I will get Reuben to do a cut of the video and post it to FB for me.
https://www.facebook.com/GillumHouse/posts/552253601516562?notif_t=like

That's great! Glad it all came together. There will always be a learning curve!
We have our first intimate wedding today! Pictures to follow, hopefully!!

So happy for you and the couple that chose your perfect place. Can't wait to meet you face to face and talk about this.

By the end of the year we will have done 70 intimate/elopements this year alone and have some on the books for as far as 12/13/14.
In addition, we will be hosting a wedding that will be the dearest to our heart, our son just proposed to his GF and they want to do the wedding here.

So happy for you and the couple that chose your perfect place. Can't wait to meet you face to face and talk about this.

By the end of the year we will have done 70 intimate/elopements this year alone and have some on the books for as far as 12/13/14.
In addition, we will be hosting a wedding that will be the dearest to our heart, our son just proposed to his GF and they want to do the wedding here..
I just want to thank CH for her input offline and helping me focus on what we need to do for our intimate wedding/elopement packages!
It's so great getting this kind of support!

In addition, we will be hosting a wedding that will be the dearest to our heart, our son just proposed to his GF and they want to do the wedding here..
Congrats.
Everything went as planned - other than doing it in November when the log house is an ice cube. I do have to either stage the stills before or after since I was busy with the video. I do think it will be something that takes off here. Been planning it since May 2012 when I did it for my brother. Waiting to do the decorating of the canopy is what held me up this summer - will not wait for the pro help in 2014 - will just do it myself.
PT has done very well with it also.

I just learned my first lesson with the wedding we had this past weekend. Everything was beautiful and went off like a dream. They asked me to shoot pictures and handed me their fancy camera. Ok, no problem.....here's my mistake. I took the photos with their camera and now I have no pictures of my own and I have to wait for them to e-mail some. Doh! That won't happen again! I'm still waiting for them.

I just learned my first lesson with the wedding we had this past weekend. Everything was beautiful and went off like a dream. They asked me to shoot pictures and handed me their fancy camera. Ok, no problem.....here's my mistake. I took the photos with their camera and now I have no pictures of my own and I have to wait for them to e-mail some. Doh! That won't happen again! I'm still waiting for them..
Mine asked me to do some with their camera which I did - BUT I said I also need to do some with my camera. I put all the photos (copied to) I took to disk and then went to the local drug store and printed off a few - to make sure they were on the disk and handed them the prints I made also - a bonus.
I learned how I will make the cake better and that I need to learn how to set this camera manually (used to do that with the old Nikon). JB - tutor seesion on the Road Again....

I just learned my first lesson with the wedding we had this past weekend. Everything was beautiful and went off like a dream. They asked me to shoot pictures and handed me their fancy camera. Ok, no problem.....here's my mistake. I took the photos with their camera and now I have no pictures of my own and I have to wait for them to e-mail some. Doh! That won't happen again! I'm still waiting for them..
Mine asked me to do some with their camera which I did - BUT I said I also need to do some with my camera. I put all the photos (copied to) I took to disk and then went to the local drug store and printed off a few - to make sure they were on the disk and handed them the prints I made also - a bonus.
I learned how I will make the cake better and that I need to learn how to set this camera manually (used to do that with the old Nikon). JB - tutor seesion on the Road Again....
gillumhouse said:
Are you charging for the photos as part of the package? BD and Gilly? I ask this as that is like the standard package I have seen, one 8x10 or whatever, if you go to the 1 hr photo you can do that and pop it in a frame - from your stock or buy at the 1 hr photp, and do the one a cd/dvd of all photos for them. Just wondering. I know having someone taking the photos - to me - if it were me - would be super important to treasure later on. Even if they are non professional, just nice images to remember it all by.

gillumhouse said:
Are you charging for the photos as part of the package? BD and Gilly? I ask this as that is like the standard package I have seen, one 8x10 or whatever, if you go to the 1 hr photo you can do that and pop it in a frame - from your stock or buy at the 1 hr photp, and do the one a cd/dvd of all photos for them. Just wondering. I know having someone taking the photos - to me - if it were me - would be super important to treasure later on. Even if they are non professional, just nice images to remember it all by.
My local print place sometimes cannot do 8x10 prints (I Have no clue if it is paper or old machine problems). I include a CD of all the photos I took but nothing about prints. It is something I may consider as a "bonus" not in the package. That way, if the machine is not cooperating, I am off the hook. Thank you for the suggestion. I made the prints this time to verify they were on the CD.
I already replaced the cake topper. In the future, I will have the top layer on a plastic separator plate with columns separating so it will be a tiered cake and they get the plated layer just as they do at a reception. I have the columns - just gave away the separators and a lot of other cake stuff to a friend who was planning to do cakes, kept one set of columns. I also plan to keep one cake topper of each color on hand to be ready.

gillumhouse said:
I'm still working on my packaging and prices, but I plan on a charge (whether in a package or separately) for photos because I envision many couples wanting to get married on the beach which would mean that both myself and DH would been out of the b&b. Depending on the time of day, I might have to hire our assist to do dinner or other add-ons for other rooms.
I'm thinking I'll shoot the photos and burn them on a CD for them to take away. Hmmmm...I could have some cheap dollar store frames on hand and print up a photo on my printer so they could have one to take away with them.
So many things to think about!

gillumhouse said:
I'm still working on my packaging and prices, but I plan on a charge (whether in a package or separately) for photos because I envision many couples wanting to get married on the beach which would mean that both myself and DH would been out of the b&b. Depending on the time of day, I might have to hire our assist to do dinner or other add-ons for other rooms.
I'm thinking I'll shoot the photos and burn them on a CD for them to take away. Hmmmm...I could have some cheap dollar store frames on hand and print up a photo on my printer so they could have one to take away with them.
Breakfast Diva said:
Just one thing to mention as this was discussed lately... a special use permit is still required for a ceremony on the beach. I wanted to mention in case you didn't check this or I may just be letting others know. Typically it is no cost, but required.

gillumhouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Just one thing to mention as this was discussed lately... a special use permit is still required for a ceremony on the beach. I wanted to mention in case you didn't check this or I may just be letting others know. Typically it is no cost, but required.
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I would need a special use permit if it were at a state beach, but most of the beautiful locations nearby have no restrictions.

gillumhouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I would need a special use permit if it were at a state beach, but most of the beautiful locations nearby have no restrictions.
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Okay. I thought they may all be state beaches right there. I know a coupe of them that I adore are state beaches...
In the Puget Sound there are very few beaches for public access, state for almost any of them that allow access. Which is horrible, people shouldn't own every piece of beach/waterfront. It is not on!

gillumhouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Okay. I thought they may all be state beaches right there. I know a coupe of them that I adore are state beaches...
In the Puget Sound there are very few beaches for public access, state for almost any of them that allow access. Which is horrible, people shouldn't own every piece of beach/waterfront. It is not on!
I so agree with you! Here's something that a lot of people don't know about Oregon:
In 1913, Gov. West dedicated the beaches to the people of Oregon, (he had the coast declared a public highway, effectively blocking development), a legacy that was enshrined into law with 1967's Oregon Beach Bill.
Our entire coastline is public! It's fabulous.
lightbulb.gif

As part of our package I take photos with MY camera of the wedding, a photo op around the property and during the reception. I burn all the photos (minus blurry ones) to a CD after cropping & editing as needed.
I will take a few with their camera if requested.

BD: do you require couples to provide their witnesses (if needed there)?
Here, I am a witness 90% of the time so taking photos is part of the package since I must be there. We charge extra to do weddings in other locations.

gillumhouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I so agree with you! Here's something that a lot of people don't know about Oregon:
In 1913, Gov. West dedicated the beaches to the people of Oregon, (he had the coast declared a public highway, effectively blocking development), a legacy that was enshrined into law with 1967's Oregon Beach Bill.
lightbulb.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
lightbulb.gif
YEAH!
Same with Calf. But not Washington. The waterfront everywhere is privately owned, and the big signage telling you that you better not even try, just makes me so dang mad!

Back