email list

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulavery

Reaction score
When people send inquires through our site we give them the opportunity to join an e-mail list. This is a double opt in list.
1) They have to enter their e-mail, check mark a box and click a button.
2) We then send them an e-mail asking them to click a link to confirm they want to be on the list. If they don't click it we remove the e-mail within 14 days.
So, I have never ever done anything with this list. And I was wondering if this would be of value to B&B owners.
The reason that I think it might is some B&Bs are the destination, not the area. So for example, my parents place is the destination for 50% of their guest. Maybe it would be worth while to a B&B to read out to this list to see if they could draw people in... anyway, I don't know if it is of value, but I wanted to see what the people on this forum thought.
If this is so off the mark and of no interest... well, nothing lost.
BTW, I got thinking about this because I've been following this guy
http://www.shoemoney.com/ and I am trying out one his ShoeMoney System.
I have no affiliation or connection to this guy other than what I said above. I'm not even really recommending him.
Paul

Are you suggesting giving the list to B&B owners on your site? If so, most emailers (Constant Contact, et al) would say that is not a valid use of the list as the 'guest' gave you their name, expecting to hear from you, not me.
I say this as I just got, again this year, a phenomenal list of names from my local chamber of people who opted in at a travel expo to hear from them. The Chamber. Not me. Last year I asked about lists like this (I asked Constant Contact) and they said no way could I validly use that list as those folks did not sign up with me personally.
So, what I would say, is if you want to ask innkeepers to write in to you with specials or something, you could send an email out to that list. But not all of us individually. You could do a list by area: Northeast vacation packages, Southeast vacation packages, etc. (Not that you want any more work!)

paulavery said:
2) We then send them an e-mail asking them to click a link to confirm they want to be on the list. If they don't click it we remove the e-mail within 14 days.
So, I have never ever done anything with this list. And I was wondering if this would be of value to B&B owners.
Paul, you could no doubt find some owners who would buy such a list.
Personally, though, I'd always advise against it.
Buying/selling lists is quite common and there's nothing really wrong with it. Many nonprofits in particular could not survive without the fundraising they do from purchased lists.
But B&Bs are all about the individuality of the inn and the innkeeper. IMHO, it would be a great risk to their reputations to send bulk emails out to purchased lists. In other words, I think it would backfire and be more harmful than beneficial.
BTW, I actually do like the shoemoney guy. His information is always interesting and right on target, even if his methods are not necessarily applicable to small inns.

I needed to be clear I would not be selling the list. Anything I mail to it would be as P&P ... really, this is just an idea, need to develiope it more.

I needed to be clear I would not be selling the list. Anything I mail to it would be as P&P ... really, this is just an idea, need to develiope it more..
So are you asking if it would be a good idea to develop a targeted email campaign that would benefit the B&Bs who are members of P&P?
If so, I would say it definitely would be beneficial if well designed and well executed.
These folks have already said they'd be interested in receiving emails. Send 'em some!

I think it would be valid to send a P & P newsletter to those that opted in. Get your inn members to agree to a certain perk for anyone using whatever keyword or code you devise. I personally - who am a member of P & P would give $10 off to know they found me on P & P. Give participating innkeepers $10 off the next year subscription at renewal time. to show the innkeepers you are in it too. I would love to end up giving $100 in discounts to know 10 people booked because of your site.
That way WE get a tracking mechanism that is only given to someone using P & P to find us and YOU are the one sending the e-mail. It should not be too difficult to do a sort to cull participating inns and list them on a separate Newsletter promo page or something to single out the who is from the who ain't.

I think it would be valid to send a P & P newsletter to those that opted in. Get your inn members to agree to a certain perk for anyone using whatever keyword or code you devise. I personally - who am a member of P & P would give $10 off to know they found me on P & P. Give participating innkeepers $10 off the next year subscription at renewal time. to show the innkeepers you are in it too. I would love to end up giving $100 in discounts to know 10 people booked because of your site.
That way WE get a tracking mechanism that is only given to someone using P & P to find us and YOU are the one sending the e-mail. It should not be too difficult to do a sort to cull participating inns and list them on a separate Newsletter promo page or something to single out the who is from the who ain't..
All great ideas.

Back