Email lists

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you give your email address out, when requested, for a contest? Do you assume the sponsors of the contest will be adding your email address to a db to be used for marketing purposes? Are you, OTOH, surprised to find you are now receiving email from the person to whom you willingly gave your email address in order to win a prize? Do you consider the arrival of such emails to be spam? Is there a limit on what you consider spam? (ie- 1 email/month, 1 email/week?) Would you not patronize the business again that sent the email?
Inquiring minds want to know...

I do not give out my email to just any contest on line. The only one I do is with food network or hgtv. They let you opt out or choose whether or not you want to get their emails. If this was to an individual, i would be complaining to them about it. I DO consider it SPAM if I indicated I did not want to receive any mailings.
Is this a local business??? I would again complain.

All emails not signed up for are spam. Even those with great offers for us innkeepers (sorry new directories)

I use my hotmail addy if it is something I think might end up with sending me (or generating) crap e-mails. I rarely sign up for contests because I think most of them are just trolling for addresses or e-mails. I do use my real one if ordiering something online - which I do rarely.

OK, here's the deal...a B&B group sponsored a contest to win a free night at a B&B. The idea was to collect the email addresses for future marketing purposes. Not a single person asked about who got the email addresses or said anything about, 'Don't email me unless I win.'
I was just curious how anyone would take now receiving an email from the group letting them know about another event very similar to the one they attended at which they gave me their email address to win a prize. (Yes, gave me their email address to win a prize.)
So, not an online contest with an opt in/opt out feature. Just a simple form with a line for name and a line for email address. (I can see that if we do this again we need to add a check box to opt in/opt out.)
The email would be pretty straightforward...here's what's happening, here's where to find out more info about the event, here's a link to another website with places to stay. No hard sell.
I would use the emailer I just signed up for and remove anyone who opted out from any further emailings (as in I would not give the person's name to any of the other B&B's.)
On the other side of the aisle, a major chain hotel did the same thing with the same idea in mind...marketing to those folks who put their info on the little entry forms.
So, think more that this is something you did at the grocery store to win a free gift basket or something. Would it surprise you if you started receiving emailings from the grocery store?

You would be added to my spam list never to be seen or heard from again.
tounge_smile.gif

Sorry - I would consider it spam. If you decide to do this again, I would make certain that the form stated that by providing thier email address they will be receiving future marketing materials. If you need the email address for the current purpose, then I suggest having a box to check ON the form to opt out of future mailings thus using the email to contact only 'if they won'.
While in the past people were quick to give out phone and email addresses on those chance to win forms, most have gotten wise at the fact that this information can be sold to others for marketing purposes. I think a lot of people now give out a 'junk' email address on these forms and go in to just delete.

If I attended an event and physically filled out a form there (which is what it sounds like you are talking about), and then got an email talking about a similar event, then I would not consider it to be spam.
Just make sure that the email has an easy to find unsubscribe option. You might also want to mention something along the lines of "You are receiving this email because you have attended similar events in the past. If you would prefer to not receive these emails in the future simple unsubscribe here..."

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I can officially feel like an idiot now for giving away a free night for nothing. I am not alone, however, as all the other inns did the same thing, all of us thinking it would be ok to email the folks who gave us their emails.
I will give the list I created to the other inns, inform them that I am not going to send the email out on all of our behalfs and let them decide how to use the info.
I truly did not think they would mind receiving an emailing about a future event in a similar vein to the one they attended.
How about snail mail? A 'save the date' postcard with the event on it? I guess I'm trying to salvage something here. We're talking over $1100 invested in this.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I can officially feel like an idiot now for giving away a free night for nothing. I am not alone, however, as all the other inns did the same thing, all of us thinking it would be ok to email the folks who gave us their emails.
I will give the list I created to the other inns, inform them that I am not going to send the email out on all of our behalfs and let them decide how to use the info.
I truly did not think they would mind receiving an emailing about a future event in a similar vein to the one they attended.
How about snail mail? A 'save the date' postcard with the event on it? I guess I'm trying to salvage something here. We're talking over $1100 invested in this..
If you have their addresses, I would get 100 Vista Print postcards (free except for 4.95 shipping) and send them out announcing the next event. Make it a these events are coming up so you get more bang for your buck. You know the dates of the events and festivals into the Spring season. Make it a bring this card for $20 off or something like that to get the cards and track it.
Save the dates Call early for your reservations......

How about snail mail? A 'save the date' postcard with the event on it? I guess I'm trying to salvage something here. We're talking over $1100 invested in this..
I'm going to disagree with most of the responses here and say I think a second email about a future event would be fine, as long as you make it clear they can opt out of future emails. I personally would not consider it spam, and I know of several inns who send things once they have your email even if it was just for a confirmation. As long as the recipient can opt out, they have voluntarily given you their emails for the original contest. You haven't bought them from a spam list service.

I am also with the minority, I would NOT have a problem with receiving an email! If I had signed up to try to win a free night and I didn't win, I would WELCOME the chance to win again!
teeth_smile.gif

Back