Email to guests thru booking dot

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
If you use booking dot, do you send email to guests? A confirmation? A welcome email? Do you think the guests ever get them?
I'm trying to figure out if the email I send to guests goes to their actual email or sits in their booking account the way all of my email from booking does.
Does the guest even get the email?
So many (all) booking guests show up here surprised they've paid in full, in spite of my 2 emails to them showing how much they've paid.
They also seem surprised that I need to know their food issues. As in, they think there's a menu in the morning.
So, what do you think - the email never gets to them or they just don't read them?

I send them a few emails.
The first one is...
Please note that some third party booking companies use an automated forwarder.... if you haven't heard from us in 24 hours, email us directly...
We sent them a generic confirmation without amounts.
We send them a reminder, ask about stuff.
And when we don't hear from them, we send emails about arrival times, etc.
They don't read them. We have found that having our name in the titles helps. We have our logo. And we have requests to reply to us in several places. We have even set up questions at the end that if they don't answer, we resend messages. In other words, if you don't reply and answer that question, we KNOW you didn't read it... so we send it again.
But our listing on B and X have some specifics that warn them that we don't have a 24 hour desk, etc.

The first one is...
Please note that some third party booking companies use an automated forwarder.... if you haven't heard from us in 24 hours, email us directly...
They don't read them. We have found that having our name in the titles helps. We have our logo. And we have requests to reply to us in several places. We have even set up questions at the end that if they don't answer, we resend messages. In other words, if you don't reply and answer that question, we KNOW you didn't read it... so we send it again.
But our listing on B and X have some specifics that warn them that we don't have a 24 hour desk, etc..
Just had a phone call from a booking guest who rambled on and on about looking at our website, not wanting this room, wanted that room, never received anything from us, etc.
And yet, this call came an hour after I sent the email.
So, still not sure.

They get them. As you know, my place is all self-check-in. I email a door code and directions to find that door, and I never see or hear from them again. My Booking guests, like everybody else, come, stay, leave, and I never see them. They are definitely getting the emails, because that's the ONLY contact I have with them. Perhaps any links and email addresses I put in the emails are stripped out. I don't know. But they get everything else.
BTW, nearly half the bookings I've received this month have come through Booking. That's 3X normal. I have no idea why, but am happy to get them.

The first one is...
But our listing on B and X have some specifics that warn them that we don't have a 24 hour desk, etc..
Just had a phone call from a booking guest who rambled on and on about looking at our website, not wanting this room, wanted that room, never received anything from us, etc.
And yet, this call came an hour after I sent the email.
So, still not sure.
Well, they get mine and it's formatted with all kinds of HTML. I get replies and I reply. But I refuse to log in to their system to do it.... because I frankly have enough to do without having to log in to their damn website.

Same here. Can exchange emails with guests through my own email software. It just passes through their system and is forwarded to the guest, and their reply comes back to me. So not too bad.
I hate having to log in to their website. Especially hate it when I get an email saying "You have a message from us. Please log in to read it." Then the message turns out to just be "here are features and opportunities you missing out on..." LEAVE ME ALONE!

They get them. As you know, my place is all self-check-in. I email a door code and directions to find that door, and I never see or hear from them again. My Booking guests, like everybody else, come, stay, leave, and I never see them. They are definitely getting the emails, because that's the ONLY contact I have with them. Perhaps any links and email addresses I put in the emails are stripped out. I don't know. But they get everything else.
BTW, nearly half the bookings I've received this month have come through Booking. That's 3X normal. I have no idea why, but am happy to get them..
Arks said:
They get them. As you know, my place is all self-check-in. I email a door code and directions to find that door, and I never see or hear from them again.
Wow, Arks. I could come and stay at your place and you'd never know I was there and I'd never meet you! Ninja Guest
shades_smile.gif

BTW, nearly half the bookings I've received this month have come through Booking. That's 3X normal. I have no idea why, but am happy to get them..
Arks said:
They get them. As you know, my place is all self-check-in. I email a door code and directions to find that door, and I never see or hear from them again.
Wow, Arks. I could come and stay at your place and you'd never know I was there and I'd never meet you! Ninja Guest
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
The keypad lock sends me a text message and email when the guest enters their door code. So yes, I'd know you are there, and no, you'd never meet me. My place is for self-sufficient travelers who want to be left alone.
If they are looking for interaction with new people, they can try the Days Inn. If they aren't tech-savvy enough to make an online reservation, I don't want them, because I'm not there to answer questions and do hand-holding. I suppose that's why most of my guests are younger, at least under 60. And that works great for me.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
The keypad lock sends me a text message and email when the guest enters their door code. So yes, I'd know you are there, and no, you'd never meet me. My place is for self-sufficient travelers who want to be left alone.
If they are looking for interaction with new people, they can try the Days Inn. If they aren't tech-savvy enough to make an online reservation, I don't want them, because I'm not there to answer questions and do hand-holding. I suppose that's why most of my guests are younger, at least under 60. And that works great for me.
Your system can you set the locks from your computer or do you have to go round manually doing each one?
We had an incident 2 days ago where the whole set of housekeeping keys went missing - we found them again but had a bit of a dodgy chap staying as was worried he had swiped them would like to get rid of keys entirely but do an awful lot of 1 night business need an easy way to change combinations quickly every day potentially.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Your system can you set the locks from your computer or do you have to go round manually doing each one?
We had an incident 2 days ago where the whole set of housekeeping keys went missing - we found them again but had a bit of a dodgy chap staying as was worried he had swiped them would like to get rid of keys entirely but do an awful lot of 1 night business need an easy way to change combinations quickly every day potentially.
We set them from our PC. Usually using the last four digits of their phone number, but RK has a system that generates a random 4 digit key that you can use and give them ahead of time. No more lost keys, no running after guests. And with my system I can set it to tell me when they arrive or leave, though I have too many locks to do that... phone keeps on getting the notifications all the time :)

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:
You set them from the computer. Any internet-connected computer in the world. I have entered door codes for new reservations while on a cruise ship on the Atlantic! And from airports. From where ever I am. I can even enter a temporary 24 hour self-deleting code from my iPhone app, like if a repair man calls and needs in.
I have ResKey ask them if they have a particular key code they want to use. If they give me one, I use that. Otherwise I generate a random one. Then I go into the Nexia software, set the date and time that code will become active (on the door to the room they booked) and what date and time the code will no longer work. Then I send the guest their code and directions to find the room, and I can forget about it.

I can have the system send me a text message and/or email each time a guest enters their code, so I know when they arrive.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:
You set them from the computer. Any internet-connected computer in the world. I have entered door codes for new reservations while on a cruise ship on the Atlantic! And from airports. From where ever I am. I can even enter a temporary 24 hour self-deleting code from my iPhone app, like if a repair man calls and needs in.
I have ResKey ask them if they have a particular key code they want to use. If they give me one, I use that. Otherwise I generate a random one. Then I go into the Nexia software, set the date and time that code will become active (on the door to the room they booked) and what date and time the code will no longer work. Then I send the guest their code and directions to find the room, and I can forget about it.

I can have the system send me a text message and/or email each time a guest enters their code, so I know when they arrive.
see I would like these USA prices is $199 - UK price in dollars is $460 dont think it costs that much more to post to the UK do you?

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

see I would like these USA prices is $199 - UK price in dollars is $460 dont think it costs that much more to post to the UK do you?
Look for Z-Wave locks on AZ. Then you need a controller or two and maybe a few repeaters. But they have systems for hotels and such that I'm sure you can find distributors for.
I use VeraPlus for my controller. A little more involved to set, but definitely as workable (via mobile browser).

Yale is actually ASSA ABLOY, so definitely available in Europe. And remember that US/Can prices don't have VAT added, never mind customs taxes.
For the Yale, we use them a lot, so they go through batteries quite a bit. The latch locks go through a lot less than the deadbolts, since the batteries only have to operate a catch rather than a whole deadbolt.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

Look for Z-Wave locks on AZ. Then you need a controller or two and maybe a few repeaters. But they have systems for hotels and such that I'm sure you can find distributors for.
I use VeraPlus for my controller. A little more involved to set, but definitely as workable (via mobile browser).

Yale is actually ASSA ABLOY, so definitely available in Europe. And remember that US/Can prices don't have VAT added, never mind customs taxes.
For the Yale, we use them a lot, so they go through batteries quite a bit. The latch locks go through a lot less than the deadbolts, since the batteries only have to operate a catch rather than a whole deadbolt.
Generic said:
My Schlage Z-Wave locks take 4 AA batteries and they last about a year with lots of daily use. I've seen some come and go out that door a dozen times in a 30 minute period. More if they have kids with them! The online software updates a few times a day with the current battery level on each lock. I change batteries when they get down to 25% charge remaining.

I have one Schlage deadbolt, but when you enter the code, it doesn't move the whole deadbolt. It just makes it where the manual knob will work to manually turn the deadbolt, vs. the knob just spinning without moving the deadbolt when the code hasn't been entered. So the deadbolt batteries last as long as the latch locks.
One thing to add. The lock codes still work even if the power goes off, because the code is stored in the lock, which is battery-run. And the codes are kept even when you pull the batteries out, so it's all pretty foolproof.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

Generic said:
My Schlage Z-Wave locks take 4 AA batteries and they last about a year with lots of daily use. I've seen some come and go out that door a dozen times in a 30 minute period. More if they have kids with them! The online software updates a few times a day with the current battery level on each lock. I change batteries when they get down to 25% charge remaining.

I have one Schlage deadbolt, but when you enter the code, it doesn't move the whole deadbolt. It just makes it where the manual knob will work to manually turn the deadbolt, vs. the knob just spinning without moving the deadbolt when the code hasn't been entered. So the deadbolt batteries last as long as the latch locks.
One thing to add. The lock codes still work even if the power goes off, because the code is stored in the lock, which is battery-run. And the codes are kept even when you pull the batteries out, so it's all pretty foolproof.
LOVE my Schlange zwave that I have for the back door - its just they are so much more expensive in the UK no idea why - if they were the USA price here I would already have a set!

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

Generic said:

LOVE my Schlange zwave that I have for the back door - its just they are so much more expensive in the UK no idea why - if they were the USA price here I would already have a set!
Would one purchased in the USA work in the UK?

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

Generic said:

Would one purchased in the USA work in the UK?
Yes... and No. The Zwave isn't exactly the same and the networking is slightly different.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

Generic said:

The deadbolt lasts that long or the lever?

Maybe I should install these z-wave locks at the house I'm renovating to sell. That way I could give access to the electrician or whomever as needed, then change the access codes for the next round. And the new owner would have new locks which would be needed anyway.

Arks said:
shades_smile.gif

seashanty said:
shades_smile.gif
Jcam said:

Generic said:

Generic said:
Battery life on both seems to be the same with my Schlage units. The battery doesn't move the dead bolt. Your hand moves the deadbolt. The battery just flips something inside to enable it to move, like it does with the lever set.

Back