Emergency at your B&B - are you prepared?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
We all need to have an emergency plan in place. Last night we had tornado warnings and a huge thunderstorm come our way and we had guests checked in. Fortunately it went right around us and hammered an area NW of us.
Do you have your emergency plan in place at your B&B?
Another inn we know in GA had guests checked in when the tornado sirens blared. There was indeed a tornado or two. The damage from a tornado was just a few blocks from their B&B.
Here is a link - click on storm damage Columbus. Estimated 20 mil in damage. Phenix is also nearby and sustained much damage.(for more photos)

Yes, we all need a written emergency plan. This was one of the questions on the application we just filled out for new commercial insurance. Highly recommended for B&Bs, but not required. If you are in an area that could potentially have a lot of storms like this, it would be the smart thing to do.

One of the things we like about WV is the lack of tornadoes after living in Tornado Alley for 24 years. The last time Shinnston had a tornado was 1944 and it still has the dubious honor of ranking 14th most deadly. It devastated the Pleasant Hill ward of town and cut a huge swath through 2 other counties.

One of the things we like about WV is the lack of tornadoes after living in Tornado Alley for 24 years. The last time Shinnston had a tornado was 1944 and it still has the dubious honor of ranking 14th most deadly. It devastated the Pleasant Hill ward of town and cut a huge swath through 2 other counties..
You might have something else there though that you would need to be prepared for? Major snowstorm, flooding, etc.

One of the things we like about WV is the lack of tornadoes after living in Tornado Alley for 24 years. The last time Shinnston had a tornado was 1944 and it still has the dubious honor of ranking 14th most deadly. It devastated the Pleasant Hill ward of town and cut a huge swath through 2 other counties..
You might have something else there though that you would need to be prepared for? Major snowstorm, flooding, etc.
Definitely true. We keep food supplies in winter. The first thing we looked at when we looked at the house was "where is the water" and found we are above the 500 year flood plane. So we bought the house.
One thing we did was keep (partly because it fits the decor and the reason the POs left it was it was too heavy to move) was the radiator in the foyer that was at one time a water-filled heater and although the water has long since disipated, (The heirs that sold us the house told us the shiny spots on the top of the radiator were from thier rumps - race downstairs and jump onto the radiator to warm up.) it does work. If we lose electricity so the gas forced-air furnace will not function, we can close off the foyer and stay warm with that heater. We do not use it normally because it is a "straight-pipe", turn on gas and light and if it goes of, gas doesn't unless the valve is turned off. There is no (at least not affordable) modern shut-off equipment for it so it is strictly emergency.

We do not get tornadoes here typically...but last night there was a tornado warning. Remember last year it hit BAD near VA Beach!! Yikes.

I have in the guest book about how to exit in event the fire alarm goes off and where to meet (so I can count noses). We keep the guest reg forms by the door so I can grab them and go so I have info about the guests. When we have high winds I will tell the guests about the flashlights in the drawer in case the power goes out.
Other than that, generally our weather doesn't 'sneak up' on us.
We DID have hurricane warnings last year, for the first time in forever. So, I let the guests know that I might be getting them out of bed in the wee hours if it got bad. (And I asked all of you what I should do with them!) The worst of that storm bypassed us and headed up to SS's neck of the woods. But we did have flooding that washed out roads.

Bree that is a good point, I had not thought of! DUH! We would need the guest info - names and addresses in case of an emergency. Hm, will have to think about that some more. Many have rental cars so that gives some info there and car rego. But hm. as all guests blur into one guest after a while, I can barely remember their names!

Bree that is a good point, I had not thought of! DUH! We would need the guest info - names and addresses in case of an emergency. Hm, will have to think about that some more. Many have rental cars so that gives some info there and car rego. But hm. as all guests blur into one guest after a while, I can barely remember their names!.
I agree...I have those handy until checkout in one of those bill pay slot things but wouldn't necessarily think to grab them during a storm. Thanks, Bree!!

We do not get tornadoes here typically...but last night there was a tornado warning. Remember last year it hit BAD near VA Beach!! Yikes..
That was about 11 miles from me (where it hit)
It's a very good idea to have emergency plans posted and make you guests aware. Many hotels don't do this and they really should, although it is up to the guest to also read the material, i.e.- fire exit map, as well.

JBJ, glad to here all is OK there and now it provides you with a wake up call to get your emergency plan in place and pray you never need to use it. Well we get plenty of violent weather as most of you know. With the Hurricanes we are given a good bit of time to prepare and that means calling all arriving guests to make sure they are aware and to cancel their stay. For guests already in the B&B, we will help them (if need be) to make arrangements to travel home or to another safe location. All while working to secure all that we can and to prepare to evacuate.
As for violent thunderstorms with possible tornadoes, our guests are made aware of the storms and reminded that an evacuation route is on the back of their door. Our emergency lighting which comes on if power is lost, can be unplugged and will serve as a flashlight to guide them to safety. Additional information is found in their room book which include which stations would be the best to provide up to the minute weather reports for our area. Usually these storms become the sole topic of conversation at breakfast with many saying they were tuned to the TV until the 'All clear' from the reporter was heard.
Sometimes those breakfast conversations can provide additional helpful hints to add to your emergency plan so keep tuned in...

Back