Employer etiquette-does it pertain to Innkeeping?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: No interview, am visiting mom and had set up an interview here with the owner, but the owner when she called doesn't want the number displayed and it says "private caller" and mom's phone will not accept "private caller", missed the interview, she did e-mail me and we did communicate that way.
I am praying that she does not hold that against me, she would not give me her number so that I can call her...so I hope to get in touch when I return home.
Que Sera Sera.....
Hopefully you'll be able to reschedule. Maybe you could set up a video call interview so you could see each other face to face, so to speak.

UPDATE: No interview, am visiting mom and had set up an interview here with the owner, but the owner when she called doesn't want the number displayed and it says "private caller" and mom's phone will not accept "private caller", missed the interview, she did e-mail me and we did communicate that way.
I am praying that she does not hold that against me, she would not give me her number so that I can call her...so I hope to get in touch when I return home.
Que Sera Sera.....
OK, have to ask here...do you know WHERE you are being interviewed? If so, you probably have an inkling what their phone number is. Unless the owner is not to be found at the inn at all. Also, if you know the owners name, you can look up their phone number on Google.
I'm suspicious of someone who doesn't want their phone number showing when they are legitimately calling people for interviews. Obviously it's going to be a matter of 'don't call us...'

Que Sera Sera.....
OK, have to ask here...do you know WHERE you are being interviewed? If so, you probably have an inkling what their phone number is. Unless the owner is not to be found at the inn at all. Also, if you know the owners name, you can look up their phone number on Google.
I'm suspicious of someone who doesn't want their phone number showing when they are legitimately calling people for interviews. Obviously it's going to be a matter of 'don't call us...'
I'm pretty sure that the owner in question is in California but the inn is not. If it's the place I'm thinking of, she has a manager onsite at the building next to the inn (where weddings/events are held) but the innkeepers will be running the inn on their own, with some support when needed.
A lot of folks keep their home numbers private so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Que Sera Sera.....
I'm pretty sure that the owner in question is in California but the inn is not. If it's the place I'm thinking of, she has a manager onsite at the building next to the inn (where weddings/events are held) but the innkeepers will be running the inn on their own, with some support when needed.
A lot of folks keep their home numbers private so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Thanks Innkeeper to go. I spoke to her assistant and all is well-called her this morning.

Que Sera Sera.....
Thanks Innkeeper to go. I spoke to her assistant and all is well-called her this morning.
Great!! Fingers are still crossed here!

Yes I write very formally, most of the potential employers have e-mailed US not the other way around, that is why I am so confused about the 100's of resumes you got Inkeeper to go. I did not initiate the email, are these e-mails bogus? perhaps because we are advertising our services and they call us? We even filled out an application, now I am a little worried that we put our SS#'s on the application that was needed for potential second interview, she has not contacted us since then.
If an employer has contacted YOU the potential employee is it different? I don't necessarily send out resumes to potential employers unless I have at least initiated contact with them. Now I am afraid that we gave way to much information over the internet to an employer that may not be an employer...thats got me thinking that someone could pose as a potential employer to extract information from us and take over our identity...ha ha that would be funny.
We don't devulge any information pertainig to our "failure" as a business. We tell them that at this time we have decided that we can no longer run our Inn, but because we love the profession we are seeking to manage their Inn. Does it mean that because we are selling our guest house that we "failed"? We can still legaly be a B & B but with only four rooms not nine. I don't regret having an Inn and I love to still take care of an Inn..
Yes, if they contact you it is absolutely different. And I'd be concerned that they are asking for your SS # in that case. Are they investor/management companies/recruiters or what? Your concern about knowing just who they are is well-founded. I'd sure be checking my credit file, if I were you.
As for your inn closing, I have interviewed many innkeepers who were former owners. Most of them didn't interview well, unfortunately. But the fact that their inn's didn't make it didn't stop me from considering them. They, sadly, dug their own graves in that regard. Much bitterness comes to mind but that wasn't necessarily true for all of them. Sometimes it was just general flakiness like showing up late for an interview. And I'm not hearing any bitterness from you in your posts so am guessing that's not the case for you. I'd really be much more concerned that these folks were never hiring anyone at all.
How to get around closing your inn? How were your online reviews? If they're good, make sure they know that. It's something tangible they can see and relate to.
Are there some particularly good references you could provide to them upfront? I had one person have her 3 references contact me directly right before her interview. And they followed up with written references faxed to me. I was so impressed with her tactics that I moved her to the front of the pack, even though her resume was not as impressive as some others. She was, BTW, a terrific innkeeper and it was a decision I never regretted.
All in all, though, there are so many issues that could be involved, it will only make you crazy to try to figure out why they're not calling. Call them and ask them what's up. What do you have to lose?
Just because an inn has closed doesn't mean that their "inn didn't make it". The business could have been thriving but there was a family illness, divorce, death, or the owners just retired, etc. that precluded them from continuing the business. The owners may have chosen just to close rather than to sell the business. You can't really assume anything.

birdwatcher said:
If I had not mentioned it before my husband and I are searching for an Innkeeping job. What is bothering me is that we take our time and considerable effort to be available to answer questions whether it be on-line or over the phone, we e-mail resumes with cover letters plus send references to the owners that call us if they are interested to know more about us when they respond to several on-line listings advertising that we are available.
We have answered questions, sent many many resumes had more than one phone ineterview with many owners and what really makes me mad is that weeks can go by without even a professional e-mail sent to us lettting us know if the position is still available, they are still thinking about it or even a
"sorry you don't...qualify, we found a better match blah blah blah.
But we've NEVER gotten a letter or phone call to let us know that the position has been filled.
So....is there anyone that has gone through this? What is the appropriate time that elapses from the time you make contact with the potential employer to the time we just say oh well, guess we didn't get the job. We have also e-mailed the potential employer if the position was still available with no reply.
Do owners talk to eachother? I just don't get it...I think its rude to do so. Its been two weeks now since we've spoken to some Inns, sent our resumes, spoke on the phone. Hey, it would just be great to get an answer instead of just ignoring it. But most of the time I don't get a letter of rejection from a potential employer-I guess its out of style now a days.
Thanks....for letting me vent.
Sorry, Birdwatcher, this is not exclusive to the innkeeping field. (I have personal obligations and cannot search for an innkeeping job, permanent or interim, unless it's nearby.)
I do not know if it is the current job climate. But it seems that so many applicants inquire about and/or apply for jobs that, unless I am contacted for an interview, I hear nothing ... and the silence is deafening.
I have been responding to all sorts of ads for jobs that I do qualify for and I rarely, if EVER, get an acknowledgement. I have a business degree and have worked in many types of businesses usually in management. Now I have all sorts of versions of my resume ... 'dumbed down' if you will ... so that I'm not labelled 'overqualified instead of 'needs a job'.
The last time I was seriously job hunting was in 2001 and I got responses nearly every time. Now it is the reverse. It is so rare that I receive an acknowledgement that I actually sent a thank you for a little printed thank you card that I received from a small town bank ... telling me they had hired someone but thanking me for my interest.
There is another issue I face as a job applicant. Many ads are not for jobs at all. They are scams to be secret shoppers or are for jobs that don't exist placed by unscrupulous recruiters just trying to get me on their books or people building mailing lists using the respondents contact info.
Most ridiculous was a supposed position as a dental office manager. I managed a dental office for 10 years so I applied. After a brief exchange when I pressed the 'interviewer' for the dental practice name I went searching for the practice and discovered it does not exist. It was just an attempt to get applicants to send for a 'free' dental whitening system (free except for shipping and then after 30 days a big bill would come due and an auto renew). The pitch was ... All our employees receive free dental care from day one of their employment, including dental whitening. Why not try the whitening system we recommend while we arrange the dentists' schedules to interview you? They are very interested! blech.
But I digress ... best of luck to you!.
You are absolutely right! Our son graduated last May with a Masters in a professional field. He sent somewhere between 150-200 applications, resumes, etc. (both online and paper) and could probably count on both hands who actually sent him a written confirmation of receipt. He probably could count on one hand the number of companies that actually sent him a note after an interview. Times have changed and it seems like no one has business manners in this job market. Sad......

Que Sera Sera.....
Let us know the outcome! Good luck!

Yes I write very formally, most of the potential employers have e-mailed US not the other way around, that is why I am so confused about the 100's of resumes you got Inkeeper to go. I did not initiate the email, are these e-mails bogus? perhaps because we are advertising our services and they call us? We even filled out an application, now I am a little worried that we put our SS#'s on the application that was needed for potential second interview, she has not contacted us since then.
If an employer has contacted YOU the potential employee is it different? I don't necessarily send out resumes to potential employers unless I have at least initiated contact with them. Now I am afraid that we gave way to much information over the internet to an employer that may not be an employer...thats got me thinking that someone could pose as a potential employer to extract information from us and take over our identity...ha ha that would be funny.
We don't devulge any information pertainig to our "failure" as a business. We tell them that at this time we have decided that we can no longer run our Inn, but because we love the profession we are seeking to manage their Inn. Does it mean that because we are selling our guest house that we "failed"? We can still legaly be a B & B but with only four rooms not nine. I don't regret having an Inn and I love to still take care of an Inn..
Yes, if they contact you it is absolutely different. And I'd be concerned that they are asking for your SS # in that case. Are they investor/management companies/recruiters or what? Your concern about knowing just who they are is well-founded. I'd sure be checking my credit file, if I were you.
As for your inn closing, I have interviewed many innkeepers who were former owners. Most of them didn't interview well, unfortunately. But the fact that their inn's didn't make it didn't stop me from considering them. They, sadly, dug their own graves in that regard. Much bitterness comes to mind but that wasn't necessarily true for all of them. Sometimes it was just general flakiness like showing up late for an interview. And I'm not hearing any bitterness from you in your posts so am guessing that's not the case for you. I'd really be much more concerned that these folks were never hiring anyone at all.
How to get around closing your inn? How were your online reviews? If they're good, make sure they know that. It's something tangible they can see and relate to.
Are there some particularly good references you could provide to them upfront? I had one person have her 3 references contact me directly right before her interview. And they followed up with written references faxed to me. I was so impressed with her tactics that I moved her to the front of the pack, even though her resume was not as impressive as some others. She was, BTW, a terrific innkeeper and it was a decision I never regretted.
All in all, though, there are so many issues that could be involved, it will only make you crazy to try to figure out why they're not calling. Call them and ask them what's up. What do you have to lose?
Just because an inn has closed doesn't mean that their "inn didn't make it". The business could have been thriving but there was a family illness, divorce, death, or the owners just retired, etc. that precluded them from continuing the business. The owners may have chosen just to close rather than to sell the business. You can't really assume anything.
???
Did you actually read the comments above yours that you commented on?

???
Did you actually read the comments above yours that you commented on?
Yes, I most certainly did.

birdwatcher said:
If I had not mentioned it before my husband and I are searching for an Innkeeping job. What is bothering me is that we take our time and considerable effort to be available to answer questions whether it be on-line or over the phone, we e-mail resumes with cover letters plus send references to the owners that call us if they are interested to know more about us when they respond to several on-line listings advertising that we are available.
We have answered questions, sent many many resumes had more than one phone ineterview with many owners and what really makes me mad is that weeks can go by without even a professional e-mail sent to us lettting us know if the position is still available, they are still thinking about it or even a
"sorry you don't...qualify, we found a better match blah blah blah.
But we've NEVER gotten a letter or phone call to let us know that the position has been filled.
So....is there anyone that has gone through this? What is the appropriate time that elapses from the time you make contact with the potential employer to the time we just say oh well, guess we didn't get the job. We have also e-mailed the potential employer if the position was still available with no reply.
Do owners talk to eachother? I just don't get it...I think its rude to do so. Its been two weeks now since we've spoken to some Inns, sent our resumes, spoke on the phone. Hey, it would just be great to get an answer instead of just ignoring it. But most of the time I don't get a letter of rejection from a potential employer-I guess its out of style now a days.
Thanks....for letting me vent.
Sorry, Birdwatcher, this is not exclusive to the innkeeping field. (I have personal obligations and cannot search for an innkeeping job, permanent or interim, unless it's nearby.)
I do not know if it is the current job climate. But it seems that so many applicants inquire about and/or apply for jobs that, unless I am contacted for an interview, I hear nothing ... and the silence is deafening.
I have been responding to all sorts of ads for jobs that I do qualify for and I rarely, if EVER, get an acknowledgement. I have a business degree and have worked in many types of businesses usually in management. Now I have all sorts of versions of my resume ... 'dumbed down' if you will ... so that I'm not labelled 'overqualified instead of 'needs a job'.
The last time I was seriously job hunting was in 2001 and I got responses nearly every time. Now it is the reverse. It is so rare that I receive an acknowledgement that I actually sent a thank you for a little printed thank you card that I received from a small town bank ... telling me they had hired someone but thanking me for my interest.
There is another issue I face as a job applicant. Many ads are not for jobs at all. They are scams to be secret shoppers or are for jobs that don't exist placed by unscrupulous recruiters just trying to get me on their books or people building mailing lists using the respondents contact info.
Most ridiculous was a supposed position as a dental office manager. I managed a dental office for 10 years so I applied. After a brief exchange when I pressed the 'interviewer' for the dental practice name I went searching for the practice and discovered it does not exist. It was just an attempt to get applicants to send for a 'free' dental whitening system (free except for shipping and then after 30 days a big bill would come due and an auto renew). The pitch was ... All our employees receive free dental care from day one of their employment, including dental whitening. Why not try the whitening system we recommend while we arrange the dentists' schedules to interview you? They are very interested! blech.
But I digress ... best of luck to you!.
oops...double post.

thanks everyone. Got home yesterday should i e-mail the owner to touch base letting her know that we are available? I also have some ideas to bring the Inn back into the limelight, should I just e-mail those as well?
We don't want to seem too anxious, but would like her to know that we are really excited about the position. Any suggestions about what we should do?
Thanks in advance.

thanks everyone. Got home yesterday should i e-mail the owner to touch base letting her know that we are available? I also have some ideas to bring the Inn back into the limelight, should I just e-mail those as well?
We don't want to seem too anxious, but would like her to know that we are really excited about the position. Any suggestions about what we should do?
Thanks in advance..
I'd say thank them for the interview, state that you would love to work for them, let them know you have ideas for what you would do and send them ONE idea. Don't give away the farm before you're hired!
But you have to let them know you want the job. Otherwise they won't know.

Thanks in advance..
I'd say thank them for the interview, state that you would love to work for them, let them know you have ideas for what you would do and send them ONE idea. Don't give away the farm before you're hired!
But you have to let them know you want the job. Otherwise they won't know.
Ditto. Send a thank you note ASAP expressing interest in the job and readiness to start.
And yes, let her know you've already thought of some great ideas for the place - but don't give away the store just yet.

Back