Empty Nest and a New Life

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a lot of time in various Podunk WV towns, love it and it (WV) is a possible target at least Martinsburg/Charlestown/Shepardstown, along with upstate NY, NC, and some of the New England states. I am from the west coast and have lived in MD near PA line for about 3 years too long (been here for about 22 yrs). Time for a change....can't decide if I want more "weather" or less.

One correction....there will be some outside income, if time permits, as I do quite a bit of freelance writing; it pays the bills right now.
I have considered turning my old place into a BB but with only two baths it would be a huge undertaking that will not pay for itself. I have loved this house and my wonderful neighbors always "udderly" ready with fresh milk or fertilizer, however I am not sure guests would appreciate the aroma and the "puft puft" of a John Deere at 5am.
No it is time to go, I am finished with this place and ready to start over where there are less memories and new faces. And yes I will need to love the new place like my own children because it will take as much effort to run as to raise them I am sure.
Any thoughts on size? 6 rooms versus 10? .
I am halfway between Fairmont and Clarksburg in the I-79 corridor. If you like small cities on the move upward, consider doing a start-up in my city. I have been hoping for another one for years. I have the wacky idea that 2 or more in the same area will make both better - because there must be something there. We have a LOT here - and more coming. The three you mention are crowded and (for WV) expensive.
As for the aroma etc, there are farm B & Bs that trade on that to lure guests.
Re size? in WV you do not want more than 6 unless you are prepared to install a commercial kitchen (triggered by that 7th room). Depends also on do you plan to do it all yourself or will you have a helper. I think 4 would be the most I could do by myself. Just having 3 gives me the time to be involved in my City and still do it all myself. Sometimes the 2 areas butt heads (as in this coming Sunday) but so far I have managed to work it out.
gillumhouse said:
I am halfway between Fairmont and Clarksburg in the I-79 corridor. If you like small cities on the move upward, consider doing a start-up in my city. I have been hoping for another one for years. I have the wacky idea that 2 or more in the same area will make both better - because there must be something there. We have a LOT here - and more coming. The three you mention are crowded and (for WV) expensive.
As for the aroma etc, there are farm B & Bs that trade on that to lure guests.
Hmmmm may have to add that to the list of possible choices. I like competition, it raises everyone's game. lol
I love a Podunk, way better than a faceless big city to me. My criteria is no McD, no Wallyworld, and no public transportation.
I have a degree in interior design, and am drawn toward the refinement of the old Victorians and Federalist styles. I have thought a great deal about the direction I will eventually take and in part will be guided by the inn I fall in love with. However, my life long love and deep involvement with all things furry, feathered, wooly, hooved and otherwise critter tends to drive me toward a farmstay style inn.
Maybe I can create a new niche market.....City folk who want to stay in a 5 star farm house. Feed the chickens and eat breakfast on fine china, sip sherry on the porch watching the cows come home. Litterally. :D
Wallyworld is down the road. We do have a greasy Mc but it is at the very edge of town. 2.5 miles from my house is the stable I use and because many of the horses were not thrilled about it, I had to post on my web site about the camel that lives there. We often see horses in town - they ride down the rail-trail. There is pub trans - it is one of those perhaps 15 passenger buses with a lift for wheelchairs. Good luck using your criteria to find an inn that will have occupancy to support - unless you are planning to farm also. Talk about hard work! Been there.
gillumhouse said:
Wallyworld is down the road. We do have a greasy Mc but it is at the very edge of town. 2.5 miles from my house is the stable I use and because many of the horses were not thrilled about it, I had to post on my web site about the camel that lives there. We often see horses in town - they ride down the rail-trail. There is pub trans - it is one of those perhaps 15 passenger buses with a lift for wheelchairs. Good luck using your criteria to find an inn that will have occupancy to support - unless you are planning to farm also. Talk about hard work! Been there.
I know Wallyworld is everywhere, just don't want one 5 min from my front door. McD is fine again just not 5 min from the front door. The more I think the more there is to think about.
Real estate just like any business is all about location, location, location.
It is funny once you put what is in your mind on paper (no Wallyworld, no McD and no public tans) your true desires start to materialize.
I am thinking farmstay might be the way to go. Tap into the agro/eco tourism market, with a estate vs working farm feeling. I am just at home in a pair of 3" heels as a pair of muck boots.
Right now I wake up, look out the front door and see a herd of milk cows, Wallyworld is 15 min down the road on the highway, McD is about 6 min. No public transport out this way, but there is in town.
So much to think about!
Good thing the last of the chicks isn't fledging for a year so I will have time to figure this out. :)
Yes, take your time to think about it. Do you want it to be a lifestyle or a business? Or it's a balance of both. Are there special local produce that you can specialize in your farm stay? For example, my partner and I went to a small production organic coffee farm to pick coffee here in Puerto Rico.. I could easily see certain tourists would love to spend a nights or two to have this unique experience. We were offered lunch for our work at the farm. It was sure memorable. : )
Yes locarion is important. Get what you can afford because its much harder to move your farm stay later. Good luck!

Welcome!
welcome.gif

I'm sure that you've read all the replies and I agree with all of them. I do have one thing to say:SHIT HAPPENS! trust me on this, unless the Inn you are going to buy is absolutely very busy, in an absolutely perfect place, and has an absolutely perfect reputation-then you MAY not worry about any other income.
But as we all know and Innkeepers know most-that is more than likely absolutely NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Don't want to rain on your parade, but you may do all the research and you may want this farm stay thing; but if it does not pay for the loan payment,the utilities, and the other expenses it will ruin you-we didn't have rose colored glasses but we bought a place in WV in Po-dunk and loved every minute of being there, it was two houses right next to eachother one was 5 bedrm 5 bath the other a little bigger-Owned it for 4 years-turbulant four years right when the economy started to tank, but tried to keep them both as we poored our whole being into doing it and all our $$. We had two teenagers with us, we did well-but it did not pay the expenses and it was seasonal. Not to mention that other aspects or "resort" type places consolidated and all but took over in the area which is seasonal and because of the newness of this and everything being right there for the guests-we ended up losing one of the houses. It nearly broke me emotionally,
Now because we loved the job or as it is more of a "lifestyle" than a job, we chose to keep being Innkeepers, I searched for those jobs and we landed one in AR for a year and a half-not my favorite place but it got our foot in the door of being a Professional Innkeeper but not owning an Inn. We are now at our second long-term position in NJ. We still have one of the houses in WV and we would never get rid of it as our hearts there and we plan to retire in that state-we have a job that we love (most of the time) we don't make much $$ per say-but we have a place to live rent free and we are putting $$ away when we can and plan to pay more on the mortgage so that when we do go back home we have most of it paid off.
Its a love thing-some people "think" that they want to be Innkeepers but remember its a 24/7 job, no time off, not time to go away (unless you close your Inn or hire someone) and this is if you have enough $$ to do so and lots of work. Doing it alone is rough even with 6 rooms-it wears on you and its sometimes lonely.
But if its your dream and that is what is in your heart-let nothing stop you! This forum is a lifesaver and sometimes people say things you don't want to see-but thats just truth.

Welcome!
welcome.gif

I'm sure that you've read all the replies and I agree with all of them. I do have one thing to say:SHIT HAPPENS! trust me on this, unless the Inn you are going to buy is absolutely very busy, in an absolutely perfect place, and has an absolutely perfect reputation-then you MAY not worry about any other income.
But as we all know and Innkeepers know most-that is more than likely absolutely NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Don't want to rain on your parade, but you may do all the research and you may want this farm stay thing; but if it does not pay for the loan payment,the utilities, and the other expenses it will ruin you-we didn't have rose colored glasses but we bought a place in WV in Po-dunk and loved every minute of being there, it was two houses right next to eachother one was 5 bedrm 5 bath the other a little bigger-Owned it for 4 years-turbulant four years right when the economy started to tank, but tried to keep them both as we poored our whole being into doing it and all our $$. We had two teenagers with us, we did well-but it did not pay the expenses and it was seasonal. Not to mention that other aspects or "resort" type places consolidated and all but took over in the area which is seasonal and because of the newness of this and everything being right there for the guests-we ended up losing one of the houses. It nearly broke me emotionally,
Now because we loved the job or as it is more of a "lifestyle" than a job, we chose to keep being Innkeepers, I searched for those jobs and we landed one in AR for a year and a half-not my favorite place but it got our foot in the door of being a Professional Innkeeper but not owning an Inn. We are now at our second long-term position in NJ. We still have one of the houses in WV and we would never get rid of it as our hearts there and we plan to retire in that state-we have a job that we love (most of the time) we don't make much $$ per say-but we have a place to live rent free and we are putting $$ away when we can and plan to pay more on the mortgage so that when we do go back home we have most of it paid off.
Its a love thing-some people "think" that they want to be Innkeepers but remember its a 24/7 job, no time off, not time to go away (unless you close your Inn or hire someone) and this is if you have enough $$ to do so and lots of work. Doing it alone is rough even with 6 rooms-it wears on you and its sometimes lonely.
But if its your dream and that is what is in your heart-let nothing stop you! This forum is a lifesaver and sometimes people say things you don't want to see-but thats just truth..
When the new Boy Scout Camp is open, will that help you? It will be in your front yard and the beauty of it is they expect it to be year round. I will keep hoping for you...............

Spent a lot of time in various Podunk WV towns, love it and it (WV) is a possible target at least Martinsburg/Charlestown/Shepardstown, along with upstate NY, NC, and some of the New England states. I am from the west coast and have lived in MD near PA line for about 3 years too long (been here for about 22 yrs). Time for a change....can't decide if I want more "weather" or less.

One correction....there will be some outside income, if time permits, as I do quite a bit of freelance writing; it pays the bills right now.
I have considered turning my old place into a BB but with only two baths it would be a huge undertaking that will not pay for itself. I have loved this house and my wonderful neighbors always "udderly" ready with fresh milk or fertilizer, however I am not sure guests would appreciate the aroma and the "puft puft" of a John Deere at 5am.
No it is time to go, I am finished with this place and ready to start over where there are less memories and new faces. And yes I will need to love the new place like my own children because it will take as much effort to run as to raise them I am sure.
Any thoughts on size? 6 rooms versus 10? .
Weaver said:
Any thoughts on size? 6 rooms versus 10?
6 rooms you can do yourself (or with minimal help). In an excellent location, it's quite enough to support yourself. 10 rooms in an excellent location and you can make real money. Albeit with more help.
Is there a 'partner' in this? A spouse or other adult who will be working with you?
Madeleine said:
Weaver said:
Any thoughts on size? 6 rooms versus 10?
6 rooms you can do yourself (or with minimal help). In an excellent location, it's quite enough to support yourself. 10 rooms in an excellent location and you can make real money. Albeit with more help.
Is there a 'partner' in this? A spouse or other adult who will be working with you?
Right now no spouse, long story for another time.
Depending on the property and timing there may be another adult. My best friend in life and death, she is the Ethel to my Lucy, but her kids are younger and location and financial viability may be a deciding factor. For now I am planning on going it alone, considering a partner but more likely not. We have often referred to our later years as knowing we will be the old cat ladies sittin on the porch. LOL She however has a way to go to get to the old part, which could work to my advantage.
I love hard work, big projects, and am looking for another career not retirement. So real money is a definate deciding factor, as well as choosing a location that when burnout arrives there is a good exit opportunity on the horizon.
welcome.gif
We, that's DH and I, have a 3-room (2 suites and a cottage) B+B in a popular seaside NE location....been at it for 23 years with no help. We have seen a lot of innkeepers come and go in our area because they underestimated the time and energy needed to run a B+B. A big red flag went up for me when I read that you might try to run yours solo, albeit with hired help. Hmmmm, I can't imagine not having a partner picking up the slack when we are busy. Seems like a recipe for 3 to 7-year burn out for sure.
As others have mentioned, your location is key to your success. We would not have made it past the first few years if there were not summer conferences in the area that gave people a reason to stay for a while...even though the beach and surrounding area are prime tourist destinations. So locating near a place, like a college with parent's weekends, or popular established festival activities, is really important to the initial success of a B+B.
We have had such a long "run" in our B+B because we have totally separate living quarters within the B+B...our own entrance, living room, office, bedroom and outdoor space. We have placed limits on our reservations (no children, no pets, 3-night minimum during high season) that allow us to do all the work ourselves without killing us. It is a lot of work, especially when the guests are PITAs, but fortunately most of our guests are lovely people. Having another person to depend on is very important. I can't imagine doing this on my own.

Welcome!
welcome.gif

But if its your dream and that is what is in your heart-let nothing stop you! This forum is a lifesaver and sometimes people say things you don't want to see-but thats just truth..
When the new Boy Scout Camp is open, will that help you? It will be in your front yard and the beauty of it is they expect it to be year round. I will keep hoping for you...............
I'm hoping so but either way we are committed to this Inn until we get things in our financial area in better ways-or if the job market opens up there I am all for going home-i miss it so much, but better to have a job to keep the house than not.
Thanks-we are also thinking that that area will grow leaps and bounds in the next 10 years and when I start looking around as I retire I can say that I saw it coming and its great!

That is my mantra. Prospect #1 went away. Prospect #2 went away, too much swamp. On to feasibility of location #3 3rd time might be a charm.

Back