Empty the Iron

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Just watching a new episode of Hotel Impossible. He said housekeepers should always empty the water out of the iron when flipping the room, that old water leads to mineral deposits on the clothes. Never would have thought of that one. Another one added to the long list. Thanks Anthony!

Seriousely? That is why even the irons themselves on the boxes recommend you use distilled water. Always have. Ironing 101

Not only mineral deposits but the water can get smelly. I never empty the iron. I do use filtered water but I still end up with deposits.

Seriousely? That is why even the irons themselves on the boxes recommend you use distilled water. Always have. Ironing 101.
I always used distilled in my iron. Makes a big difference. For the guest's iron I never really cared. I had a label on the iron that said Unplug and empty when done.

I bought a Rowenta a few months ago. The instructions emphatically said to n o t use distilled water. I read that a couple of times in disbelief, but I noticed that when I use the iron, it has some way of kicking out the deposits so that they can just be brushed off of whatever you are ironing, including our white sheets. (and yes, I iron sheets) Difficult to explain, but it works. We have calcium in the water here. I scrub porcelain surfaces (you know the ones) a lot. Now, my partial jug of distilled water remains on my laundry shelf.

I bought a Rowenta a few months ago. The instructions emphatically said to n o t use distilled water. I read that a couple of times in disbelief, but I noticed that when I use the iron, it has some way of kicking out the deposits so that they can just be brushed off of whatever you are ironing, including our white sheets. (and yes, I iron sheets) Difficult to explain, but it works. We have calcium in the water here. I scrub porcelain surfaces (you know the ones) a lot. Now, my partial jug of distilled water remains on my laundry shelf..
Mine just spits the deposits out onto the fabric. If I haven't used the iron in awhile I will let it start to steam and then I'll let it 'discharge' onto the ironing board cover. Then I just brush the deposits off. (I always iron my black clothes from the inside, just in case.)

I bought a Rowenta a few months ago. The instructions emphatically said to n o t use distilled water. I read that a couple of times in disbelief, but I noticed that when I use the iron, it has some way of kicking out the deposits so that they can just be brushed off of whatever you are ironing, including our white sheets. (and yes, I iron sheets) Difficult to explain, but it works. We have calcium in the water here. I scrub porcelain surfaces (you know the ones) a lot. Now, my partial jug of distilled water remains on my laundry shelf..
My iron is a Rowenta. Says use tap water.....

Anon Inn said:
I bought a Rowenta a few months ago. The instructions emphatically said to n o t use distilled water. I read that a couple of times in disbelief, but I noticed that when I use the iron, it has some way of kicking out the deposits so that they can just be brushed off of whatever you are ironing, including our white sheets. (and yes, I iron sheets) Difficult to explain, but it works. We have calcium in the water here. I scrub porcelain surfaces (you know the ones) a lot. Now, my partial jug of distilled water remains on my laundry shelf.
Because it is a STEAM IRON.
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']The use of 100%-distilled/reverse osmosis waters should be avoided, due to the fact that it will only convert to steam at a higher temperature. Additionally, if 100%-distilled water is used in our irons you may encounter dripping, spitting and leaking."[/FONT]
and I read this:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman'] There are 'superheated water' phenomena than can cause such effects, but they are no different with distilled water than with tap water.[/FONT]
In the world of semicommercial espresso machines, distilled water is often a problem because the fill sensor works on electrical conduction, which needs a touch of minerals in the water. One common solution is to add a tiny amount of tap water to distilled or RO in the tank, just enough for the sensors to work.

I had a guest put the iron on the holder upside down once, dripping water out the top. Still can't fathom what would make someone decide that the best way to store an iron is upside down with water dripping out.

i use the water that comes out of my condenser dryer - this takes the limescale out of it and makes my iron last longer and recycles the water - bonus all round

Seriousely? That is why even the irons themselves on the boxes recommend you use distilled water. Always have. Ironing 101.
Joey Bloggs said:
the irons themselves on the boxes recommend you use distilled water. Always have. Ironing 101
Reading instructions is for weaklings. Being a man 101.
;-)

Back