Encouraging Locals to Stay Local - In the news 07.09.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some neighbors are taking a 3 week Amtrak trip up through the NorthEast because of airline ticket prices. A family of four with 2 kids. Gas just went up over $4 here...it's $4.03 today. Yikers!!! Our folks here last weekend from the Pacific Northwest have been paying over $5/gallon for several months :-(

Some neighbors are taking a 3 week Amtrak trip up through the NorthEast because of airline ticket prices. A family of four with 2 kids. Gas just went up over $4 here...it's $4.03 today. Yikers!!! Our folks here last weekend from the Pacific Northwest have been paying over $5/gallon for several months :-(.
I was just thinking of checking into Amtrak for a trip up to maybe Boston. Locally they are really touting the "staycations" I think it worked for the 4th..our town was packed with people for our little festival in spite of some rain. From what I hear from cabin and B & B's...people are coming and staying here..since we are just a short trip from D.C. and offer some nice sites and activities.

Our local paper's idea of 'local tourism' was to pitch a tent in your own backyard and bbq instead of going to a restaurant. Yeah, that will help us.

Some neighbors are taking a 3 week Amtrak trip up through the NorthEast because of airline ticket prices. A family of four with 2 kids. Gas just went up over $4 here...it's $4.03 today. Yikers!!! Our folks here last weekend from the Pacific Northwest have been paying over $5/gallon for several months :-(.
I was just thinking of checking into Amtrak for a trip up to maybe Boston. Locally they are really touting the "staycations" I think it worked for the 4th..our town was packed with people for our little festival in spite of some rain. From what I hear from cabin and B & B's...people are coming and staying here..since we are just a short trip from D.C. and offer some nice sites and activities.
catlady said:
Hey, in 2 more years the Amtrak DownEaster will be stopping a couple of blocks from here!

I want to make a bold statement.
Those in San Fran who pay so much more for fuel have the salaries to match. It is the true middle class and below that are the ones who are pitching the tents. Those in the Beltway are still doing what they want to do. $1 $2 or $3 more a gallon has no impact on them like the rest of the country.
The airline industry SUCKS that is why people are not flying. It is not so much the cost of fuel or the cost of airline tickets, it is the cost of flying - the suffering that goes along with it in MOST instances nowadays. Nobody likes to be held hostage and trapped on a runway or in an airport with no luggage.

Those in San Fran who pay so much more for fuel have the salaries to match. It is the true middle class and below that are the ones who are pitching the tents. Those in the Beltway are still doing what they want to do. $1 $2 or $3 more a gallon has no impact on them like the rest of the country.
The airline industry SUCKS that is why people are not flying. It is not so much the cost of fuel or the cost of airline tickets, it is the cost of flying - the suffering that goes along with it in MOST instances nowadays. Nobody likes to be held hostage and trapped on a runway or in an airport with no luggage..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
The airline industry SUCKS that is why people are not flying. It is not so much the cost of fuel or the cost of airline tickets, it is the cost of flying - the suffering that goes along with it in MOST instances nowadays. Nobody likes to be held hostage and trapped on a runway or in an airport with no luggage.
OK perfect spot to tell my guest's story...she left here yesterday with a 5:30 PM flight to Atlanta. She had a rental car (I drove her to the airport to get one after she realized just how small this town was for a 4 day carless vacation) and she wanted to check on the status of her flight so she stopped in at the airport around noon. They told her she could get a flight in 45 minutes. She ran quick to drop off the car and back to the check-in desk. 'Sorry, flight oversold, you can go out on the next one.'
Ticked, but still game she waited for the next flight at 1 PM. No one told the gate agent about her so they booked the flight right out from under her, again. Back to her regularly scheduled flight. Canceled because of maintenance issues. FINALLY, she gets out of here at 7:30 PM and lands in Atlanta at 11 (airport backed up due to storms). No continuing flight, all gone already or canceled. She has to stay over in Atlanta, no luggage.
Hotel is a dump, shuttle is backed up, she finally got home this morning, 15 hours after she was scehduled to land.
I have no idea why anyone would want to fly anywhere.

The airline industry SUCKS that is why people are not flying. It is not so much the cost of fuel or the cost of airline tickets, it is the cost of flying - the suffering that goes along with it in MOST instances nowadays. Nobody likes to be held hostage and trapped on a runway or in an airport with no luggage..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
OK perfect spot to tell my guest's story...she left here yesterday with a 5:30 PM flight to Atlanta. She had a rental car (I drove her to the airport to get one after she realized just how small this town was for a 4 day carless vacation) and she wanted to check on the status of her flight so she stopped in at the airport around noon. They told her she could get a flight in 45 minutes. She ran quick to drop off the car and back to the check-in desk. 'Sorry, flight oversold, you can go out on the next one.'
Ticked, but still game she waited for the next flight at 1 PM. No one told the gate agent about her so they booked the flight right out from under her, again. Back to her regularly scheduled flight. Canceled because of maintenance issues. FINALLY, she gets out of here at 7:30 PM and lands in Atlanta at 11 (airport backed up due to storms). No continuing flight, all gone already or canceled. She has to stay over in Atlanta, no luggage.
Hotel is a dump, shuttle is backed up, she finally got home this morning, 15 hours after she was scehduled to land.
Bree said:
Because it is a long swim to Hawaii, Europe, or Japan?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
Thing is, I never hear our Euro or Hawaiian guests say they had problems with the plane! But, heaven help you if you're going thru Atlanta!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
Thing is, I never hear our Euro or Hawaiian guests say they had problems with the plane! But, heaven help you if you're going thru Atlanta!
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
It is a given now. Every time I have flown the last two years about 7 times I had major issues. Not hour or two delays, no that would have been a lovely day in travel.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
It is a given now. Every time I have flown the last two years about 7 times I had major issues. Not hour or two delays, no that would have been a lovely day in travel.
I'd hate to jinx myself at this point, but the worst I've had happen is lost luggage and an almost-missed plane due to 18" of snow here in Portland. And I got on the connecting flight ok and my luggage came with me. (Not so on the return trip when nothing went wrong, except the luggage didn't show up.)
OK, there was the bomb scare at Gatwick, but at least they didn't put us on the plane until it was all clear.

I've never missed a flight, had a flight canceled, or lost any luggage... and I usually travel SW so no added luggage fees.
We did fly a spooky flight through a thunderstorm on a dinky plane between Tucson and Flagstaff...
=)
Kk.

I've never missed a flight, had a flight canceled, or lost any luggage... and I usually travel SW so no added luggage fees.
We did fly a spooky flight through a thunderstorm on a dinky plane between Tucson and Flagstaff...
=)
Kk..
Flying through the country's busiest airports is what can generally get you. Atlanta is now the busiest airport in the country so stuff happens! Then, there's Chicago...

=)
Kk..
Flying through the country's busiest airports is what can generally get you. Atlanta is now the busiest airport in the country so stuff happens! Then, there's Chicago...
I travelled constantly by plane the five years before we bought the B&B, working for a global bank and then doing consulting work. I had some legendary delays and missed connecting flights, although never lost luggage. I did have some stuff stolen from my luggage. After 9/11, I started flying Southwest (we lived in Boston and Logan was the last airport to re-open - I drove to Providence). Only one flight delay ever with them - due to a scary mechanical problem. I still choose them when I fly if I can.

=)
Kk..
I travelled constantly by plane the five years before we bought the B&B, working for a global bank and then doing consulting work. I had some legendary delays and missed connecting flights, although never lost luggage. I did have some stuff stolen from my luggage. After 9/11, I started flying Southwest (we lived in Boston and Logan was the last airport to re-open - I drove to Providence). Only one flight delay ever with them - due to a scary mechanical problem. I still choose them when I fly if I can.
I flew a lot on business as well before moving here & it was always Southwest since it was mostly within Texas. Never had a problem. Just flew Southwest to Houston (I had to drive to another State in order to do that!) It was much more pleasant than flying out of Atlanta - that airport is cRaZy and you have to get there at least 2 hours before your flight to be sure to get through security, etc. We had some guests that barely made their flight & were there 2 hours ahead. ugh.

Back