End of year, are Directories making the grade?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Don't let this slip by and loose your stat comparison from the year before...
Compare the previous years to the current -
Are they producing the same?
Or Are they producing more -
OR Are they trailing from the past?
Check your website stats to what the directories are claiming they have sent you, do they match?
Now, cost value...
How much are you paying per view?
How much are you actually paying per click thru?

When put that way, bandb.com costs me about $.35/click to my site. TA about $.50. My local chamber about $1.

I just checked my stats for B&B.com & here are my results:
In '09 there were 23902 impressions of my Brief Listing: only 8% of those went to my Detailed and just under 1/2 of those on to my website from there
This year there have been only 14276 impressions to my brief listing: 9.5% to my detailed with about 60% conversion to my website.

With only 33 more days left to the year and down by almost 10,000 views, there is no way to come close.
The monthly average has DECREASED just shy of 700 views (of brief listing) this year compared to last.

Click through value - click thrus to my site are about .75 this year, each based on my Silver listing
My stats vs there stats; my stats show 23 less click-thrus than their stats

When put that way, bandb.com costs me about $.35/click to my site. TA about $.50. My local chamber about $1..
Yes, placed that way they ARE a value! I just am conserned of the sliding scale that seems to be happening on the brief views. We all know it is a numbers game and to see the brief views take that drastic slide, we all know what that will lead to - less detailed views & even less click thrus but of course, the cost is not going to go in that direction.

CH...has your listing level stayed the same? Any competitors of yours on that site? Have their listing levels stayed the same? Just had this conversation with another innkeeper in the area last night.

In '09 there were 23902 impressions of my Brief Listing: only 8% of those went to my Detailed and just under 1/2 of those on to my website from there
This year there have been only 14276 impressions to my brief listing: 9.5% to my detailed with about 60% conversion to my website.

With only 33 more days left to the year and down by almost 10,000 views, there is no way to come close.
The monthly average has DECREASED just shy of 700 views (of brief listing) this year compared to last.

Click through value - click thrus to my site are about .75 this year, each based on my Silver listing
My stats vs there stats; my stats show 23 less click-thrus than their stats.
A couple of thoughts on these things... (1) the number of clicks is only relevant if you have a feel for how many clicks = 1 booking - otherwise it is just a combination of looky-lous, potential guests, guests, and people who found you because they were researching a related topic. (2) The BB.com stats (or those provided by other directories) will not match your stats from your tracking program (whether it is Google Analytics, SuperStatz, Intell-A-Keeper or whatever). Consequently, the directory's stats should only be used for comparison with their own stats from a prior year - but not for comparison with other booking sources. Use your own stats program to compare booking sources - otherwise it is apples to oranges.
To get a sense of clicks vs. bookings, create a spreadsheet of booking sources and (based on some data like guest feedback or whatever you use to figure out where a booking came from) . To do this, create columns for booking source, number of bookings, number of clicks from the source, and number of clicks per booking. You may also want to add a column for revenue from that source, cost of the source, and revenue per click. So your sheet looks like this:
Directory name Number of bookings Number of clicks Clicks per booking Revenue Cost Revenue per click
  • Clicks per booking is the number of clicks divided by the number of bookings
  • Revenue is either actual revenue for that source (if you know that figure) or figure out your average booking value and multiply it by the number of bookings to get the Revenue for that source.
  • Cost is the actual annual cost of the booking source.
  • Revenue per click is the Total revenue from the source, divided by the number of clicks from the source.
If you want to go one more step, add ROI (return on investment), which is equal to the total revenue for the source minus the annual cost for that source, then divide that amount by the cost of the source. For example, if a directory costs $100 per year, and brings in $900 in revenue, the formula is ($900 - $100)/$100 = 8 so the ROI is 8. Bigger numbers are better ROI. Most directories seem to run between 5 and 10 for ROI, but it depends on many factors. Also, bear in mind that some directories provide indirect value - things that do not directly translate into bookings for you. These include publicity (PR), and other types of promotion for the industry, and perhaps for your property.
S

CH...has your listing level stayed the same? Any competitors of yours on that site? Have their listing levels stayed the same? Just had this conversation with another innkeeper in the area last night..
My level has remained. There are only 3 of us in the area...
As far as brief listing views, the level or number of listings do not matter -
This clearly shows the site is having less traffic (at least in my area). What are YOUR stats????
THIS is where they have declined - they are not drawing viewers to the page AGAIN - down 10000 from last year....

My stats vs there stats; my stats show 23 less click-thrus than their stats.
A couple of thoughts on these things... (1) the number of clicks is only relevant if you have a feel for how many clicks = 1 booking - otherwise it is just a combination of looky-lous, potential guests, guests, and people who found you because they were researching a related topic. (2) The BB.com stats (or those provided by other directories) will not match your stats from your tracking program (whether it is Google Analytics, SuperStatz, Intell-A-Keeper or whatever). Consequently, the directory's stats should only be used for comparison with their own stats from a prior year - but not for comparison with other booking sources. Use your own stats program to compare booking sources - otherwise it is apples to oranges.
To get a sense of clicks vs. bookings, create a spreadsheet of booking sources and (based on some data like guest feedback or whatever you use to figure out where a booking came from) . To do this, create columns for booking source, number of bookings, number of clicks from the source, and number of clicks per booking. You may also want to add a column for revenue from that source, cost of the source, and revenue per click. So your sheet looks like this:
Directory name Number of bookings Number of clicks Clicks per booking Revenue Cost Revenue per click
  • Clicks per booking is the number of clicks divided by the number of bookings
  • Revenue is either actual revenue for that source (if you know that figure) or figure out your average booking value and multiply it by the number of bookings to get the Revenue for that source.
  • Cost is the actual annual cost of the booking source.
  • Revenue per click is the Total revenue from the source, divided by the number of clicks from the source.
If you want to go one more step, add ROI (return on investment), which is equal to the total revenue for the source minus the annual cost for that source, then divide that amount by the cost of the source. For example, if a directory costs $100 per year, and brings in $900 in revenue, the formula is ($900 - $100)/$100 = 8 so the ROI is 8. Bigger numbers are better ROI. Most directories seem to run between 5 and 10 for ROI, but it depends on many factors. Also, bear in mind that some directories provide indirect value - things that do not directly translate into bookings for you. These include publicity (PR), and other types of promotion for the industry, and perhaps for your property.
S
I was not going that deep into it Scott. Why? I have learned long ago that unless they book directly from that directory, there is never certainty as to where they found us. I had someone book that told me recently they found me on a site that I have never had a listing. They do not know.
I am certain I get bookings and especially this year I do have proof from bookings directly from their site to pay for the listing + some. And we all know that there is a good % of those click overs to my website that do book as well. And the click-thru rate is fair.
The reason for my post is to find out if this dive in basic views is consistant across the board.... Are directories drawing less business to our area or was it nation wide. Is this a trend? We do need to have a watchful eye on these stats. I am not being a total poopooer here, just say we need to keep an open eye on what they are bringing forth - Are they working hard (enough) to bring traffic????

The only way to truely know, is to have a stats program like superstatz, intelli-keeper and I understand that if you really know what you're doing, you can set up google analytics, to show EXACTLY where your online reservations are coming from.

CH...has your listing level stayed the same? Any competitors of yours on that site? Have their listing levels stayed the same? Just had this conversation with another innkeeper in the area last night..
This clearly shows the site is having less traffic (at least in my area). What are YOUR stats????
THIS is where they have declined - they are not drawing viewers to the page AGAIN - down 10000 from last year....
copperhead said:
What are YOUR stats????
Sold the Inn two months ago, and no longer have access to bb.com to get their stats, but my tracking program shows the difference between 2009 and 2010 for both bb.com and bbonline.
2010 YTD individual visitors to our website = 1432 from bb.com and 347 from bbonline
2009 numbers for same period are = 866 from bb.com and 612 from bbonline
Appears that at least for our Inn and location, bb.com went way up (platinum membership and ORP inclusion both years) and bbonline went WAY down (again with highest listing level unchanged).
ETA: Now that I think about it, I DID play around with the Featured Inn and Inn of the Month Auctions with bb.com in 2010, but did not in 2009. Mostly took advantage of their matching funds specials, and did not spend an extraordinary amount of my own money.
My webervations reports for reservation sources of business were far and away in favor of bb.com...I mean far and away over anything else.

copperhead said:
What are YOUR stats????
Sold the Inn two months ago, and no longer have access to bb.com to get their stats, but my tracking program shows the difference between 2009 and 2010 for both bb.com and bbonline.
2010 YTD individual visitors to our website = 1432 from bb.com and 347 from bbonline
Appears that at least for our Inn and location, bb.com went way up (platinum membership and ORP inclusion both years) and bbonline went WAY down (again with highest listing level unchanged).
ETA: Now that I think about it, I DID play around with the Featured Inn and Inn of the Month Auctions with bb.com in 2010, but did not in 2009. Mostly took advantage of their matching funds specials, and did not spend an extraordinary amount of my own money.
My webervations reports for reservation sources of business were far and away in favor of bb.com...I mean far and away over anything else.
You have access to the stats of a business you sold 2 months ago? Are you helping the new owners learn the system?

copperhead said:
What are YOUR stats????
Those featured listings can produce a good number of click-thrus but you are also paying even more to B&B.com to get these.
I know you do not have access to get these numbers but it would be interesting to know the stats on the impressions for '09 vs '10 for your brief listing impressions.... That is where it shows just how the directory is doing. If the numbers keep going down, they are not doing their job to create traffic which essentially what we pay them to do. It is then our duty to real that person in to see our full listing or go to our website to make a sale.

copperhead said:
What are YOUR stats????
You have access to the stats of a business you sold 2 months ago? Are you helping the new owners learn the system?
Alibi Ike said:
Had the stats for all three of my sites all on one opentracker account (for cost-effectiveness). They are in the process of breaking the Inn away from my account.

I looked at my referred stats since I started collecting stats - Nov 08 - to date. Keep in mind I am NOT in a high-profile area so I do not get hundreds of hits per day. Laugh at my stats if you wish - they are what they are. In fairness, I must say I dropped the 800 lb gorilla last year with no regrets.
top 20 referrers ↓ ↑ bounce rate ↓ ↑ referrals ↓ ↑%
google.com n/a 3,766 29.3
travelwithkids.about.com n/a 1,826 14.2
bbonline.com n/a 624 4.9
innspiring.com n/a 616 4.8
bnbsforvets.org n/a 535 4.2
search.yahoo.com n/a 482 3.8
wvmountainfest.com n/a 326 2.5
wvcommerce.org n/a 316 2.5
bing.com n/a 308 2.4
wvbedandbreakfasts.com n/a 260 2.0
marioncvb.com n/a 250 1.9