End of Year Inn Revenue Comparison

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I just ran a couple reports to compare this past year 2012 to the previous 2011.
In the end, taking into room rentals, services, packages etc. We are less this year by only $156.00 so that is JUST ONE ROOM NIGHT! (I didn't run occupancy, I had the BOGO in Feb and other discounts, so I only wanted the revenue figures)
I was very excited, as we were a bit behind and had some last minute guests in December, not many but enough to catch us up. What this means in a nutshell, is that through all of my marketing we have been able to sustain the last 5 years about the same revenue with this recession and economic down turn, so that is great news!
When you find out one way or the other, please let us know. We don't ask anyone to divulge specifics on revenue.

Very close to last year. We had an unexpected dip in Oct but did not lower rates in Nov & Dec so made up the shortfall. Still, would have been much better had Oct not bombed.

Its going to be hard to say. I know we are up over last year. We added a suite 4 months in. It was a strange year. Our Jan so far this year is up over last year so far. Four days ago we did not have one booking for this coming weekend. Now we are almost full. We lowered rates for this month by about 15%. Last year we did 35%. So far the bookings are about the same. So im hopeful. Weddings last year tripled over 2011. Im not sure why. Maybe its something in the water. Has us thinking of building a whole new area just for weddings. They are a lot of work, but great money makers! People will spend money for weddings.

Jan-July we were up significantly in revenue...then for some strange reason, things started to fall off. By the end of the year, we lost all the increase and went down about $3,000 from last year. Our region right now is just dead. It's always our slow season right now, but this is even worse than typical.
Overall, our business has been able to grow through the recession. Last year was our best year ever, so a slight dip this year is not a big deal, but I hope things pick up soon!

Considering the number of nights I gave to the churches and after the derecho, I am satisfied to be down a little over $300 for the year. Had a few cancels due to the lay-offs in the economy. November was all freebies and December was empty. Normal for here. I had about 6 nights @ my birthday rate of 19.12.
I take each year as a new slate and it will be what it will be. The phone rang today - I have one night coming in tomorrow - so January will have at least one night in 2013. THAT is unusual for here!

2012 gross revenue was the highest we've ever had, up about 9% over 2011. But then 2011 was almost 7% down from 2010, so the big jump isn't so big if take out the dip. Of course there have been some significant changes in management from 2010 to 2011 and again from 2011 to 2012 that might explain some of these differences.

2012 was up by 9 room nights and revenue was up 4%. It always amazes me how consistent these # are. I am left with the conclusion that the only way we will keep up with inflation is to increase our rates for the couple of months we are really busy.

Up by $3000. :) very happy indeed!
And we gave $1867. in discounts (does not count the 'free' nights. bogo or other).

I do not have revenue figures from last year (POs), but I do have room counts. I'm just stunned that we were unable to meet or exceed the POs room counts for Oct, Nov & Dec. I just don't get it. We're doing so much advertising and are very visible around town.
Word is that everyone is surprised by how slow business is here. There are people in town, but no one is buying stuff. Well, if people are in town, they should be staying with us! Everyone's first lodging choice up here is rental cabins. But, if the cabins are sold out, we should be too... I just don't get it...

I do not have revenue figures from last year (POs), but I do have room counts. I'm just stunned that we were unable to meet or exceed the POs room counts for Oct, Nov & Dec. I just don't get it. We're doing so much advertising and are very visible around town.
Word is that everyone is surprised by how slow business is here. There are people in town, but no one is buying stuff. Well, if people are in town, they should be staying with us! Everyone's first lodging choice up here is rental cabins. But, if the cabins are sold out, we should be too... I just don't get it....
A few things that hit this year that weren't on the radar last year- presidential elections tend to scare people; we had pretty severe storms pound the east coast (people who never expected to be homeless are- that scares more than the people immediately impacted) and the 'Fiscal Cliff' scared people with money (people without money aren't scared by this stuff, it generally has no impact on them).

Up by $3000. :) very happy indeed!
And we gave $1867. in discounts (does not count the 'free' nights. bogo or other)..
I counted up 25 free nights for churches, city, storm victims, and Vets - this does not include my Germany visitors. I also had my $19.12 special and I think I had 6 of those. So to be down by only $326 is not bad.

I haven't done the revenues for December yet, but at the end of November we were already ahead of our entire 2011 revenue by 5% or so. So I expect this will be our best year yet in terms of revenue.

Up about $1000 in revenues but up more in expenses in 2012.

Up $3,000.00 over previous year. 2012 was our best year yet!.
Country Girl said:
Up $3,000.00 over previous year. 2012 was our best year yet!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Back