Enough about late arrivals, what about the early bird trying to get every minute and then some out of a stay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
Awright, we've beat the late arrival quandry to death.
Now what about the pinhead who doesn't call, doesn't ask in advance, doesn't have a medical condition needing a bed to lie down on immediately, didn't just have a horrible travel experience, etc.
Just your average early bird looking to milk a stay for every minute they can and then some?
Despite having every document sent to guests in terms of confirmations, map & directions, online B&B directory listings, stating in bold print our check in time frame, we have had them anywhere from 9:45am up to 2:59pm with as many excuses as there are hours in the day.
Not so ironically, they usually are the same ones we're trying to extricate from their room at 11:45, noon, even as late as 1pm when one couple just wouldn't answer the knocks on the door. Check out is by 11:00. Our approach on that one is at 11:30am, we knock once and walk away. Maybe they'll think we're housekeeping. Then every fifteen minutes after that, another set of knocks with offers to help carry out a bag. By noon, if we see no activity in the packing up department, a friendly reminder of our need to get in to clean for the next set of guests arriving this afternoon is offered.
Generally most with the attitude that our day or schedule means nothing and while being acutely aware of the time space continuim in all other facets of their lives, that weekend stay at a B&B blows that all to hell.
And god forbid they find a dust bunny in their room. That's TA worthy stuff.
How do folks handle the early bird like this?
Now, Joe, GillumHouse, catlady, etc. who have never had a untoward or bad guest in their homes, you can skip advice on this one due to inexperience.

https://www.innspiring.com/node/3271
I don't think I posted that correctly, but maybe the URL will work...we just had a discussion on this recently.

You have guests who don't vacate until 1 PM? I had one, but she was spoiling for a fight. Most of my guests are gone way before 11, planes to catch, long drives home or they're on their way to the next B&B and want to get there early!
My registration form states the guest will be charged for any late check-out- $50 for anything after 11 AM and the full night if they are still in the room at 1 PM. Obviously, if I'M holding them up by talking, we don't charge them.
The 1 PM check-out asked what time was check-out when she left to go shopping at 10 AM. I told her 11 AM. She strolled, and I mean strolled with intent, into the building at 1 PM, got her things and looked me right in the eye and said, "NOW, I'm ready to leave.' I looked right back and said, 'Did you leave your keys in the room? Yes? Thank you, have a pleasant rest of your day,' and turned around and walked away. Her husband was braced for a confrontation (and not to back her up, she must embarrass him a lot with this) and when I walked away he laughed right out loud and she slammed the door in his face. I won't have to worry about her ever coming back again.
I've only charged one person the late fee and she wanted to sleep in so I let her and she gave me $50 when she gave me the keys.
However, how we handle the folks who won't leave, few as they are...11:15- a knock at the door and a 'Housekeeping.' Then we just run the vacuum right outside the door. Generally, that's enough. If no one answers, I make the assumption they are gone and forgot to say goodbye and get the keys and go in. (We do have a lot of guests who leave their car for the day while they head into town.)

Sorry but you must be a "bad guest magnet" and if I had had as many "bad" guests as you post about, I would have either asked myself why so many or closed my doors because it IS my home. I would not be asking how to deal with them. I would have already done it.

Sorry but you must be a "bad guest magnet" and if I had had as many "bad" guests as you post about, I would have either asked myself why so many or closed my doors because it IS my home. I would not be asking how to deal with them. I would have already done it..
Yeah and I thought BREE was the PITA MAGNET...looks like we have someone to take her place now:)

Sorry but you must be a "bad guest magnet" and if I had had as many "bad" guests as you post about, I would have either asked myself why so many or closed my doors because it IS my home. I would not be asking how to deal with them. I would have already done it..
Yeah and I thought BREE was the PITA MAGNET...looks like we have someone to take her place now:)
catlady said:
I will gladly relinquish the PITA trophy...I've had my 5 years of it, if someone else takes over that's fine with me!

No, actually we're talking about a few examples per year but your point is well taken. As with every topic I've piped in on, these are extreme examples NOT the norm or even more than a handful a year.
We do and have dealt with it. Forgive my curiosity about how others deal with it.
Something to consider judging from your availability calendar is that we get more guests in one room in a typical weekend than it looks like you get in an average month, so the proportional chances to get a bad guest are greater.
If you want to be contrarian to whatever I post or write about just to be so, then thats fine.
Maybe someday another member will bring up the ludicrousness of offering breakfast to anybody for a SIX hour window starting at 4am.

Yikes! I need to chime in here. Having been on this forum for about a year, and following the older forum prior to that, Gillum House has been a tremendous source of wisdom, humor, knowledge, experience and generously-given advice. While most of the procedures that we follow here for our larger inn are not at all similar to those offered by Gillum (and while I personally cannot even begin to imagine giving the level of flexibility, service and accommodation that she does), I tremendously value any and every tidbit that she and others are willing to share. I firmly believe that you can run ANY b&b ANY way you like...and you should...we should all do what works best for us. And this forum is meant to be a place to share candidly and learn from others in an open and safe environment.
I'm sorry Tim, but your overall tone and attitude since joining the forum has been perceived by ME as aggressive and condescending at best and downright rude and hostile at worst. I think you would do well to follow the old adage "If you can't say something nice than don't say anything at all". We are not looking to one-up each other or needing to feel better than anyone on this forum. I can dish out the sarcasm and bad guest stories with the best of them, and there have been times when I've taken the comments of others out of context, and they have gently reminded me that we are all here to support each other, not tear each other down.
Any more posts in this tone and you will be on my ignore list.

No, actually we're talking about a few examples per year but your point is well taken. As with every topic I've piped in on, these are extreme examples NOT the norm or even more than a handful a year.
We do and have dealt with it. Forgive my curiosity about how others deal with it.
Something to consider judging from your availability calendar is that we get more guests in one room in a typical weekend than it looks like you get in an average month, so the proportional chances to get a bad guest are greater.
If you want to be contrarian to whatever I post or write about just to be so, then thats fine.
Maybe someday another member will bring up the ludicrousness of offering breakfast to anybody for a SIX hour window starting at 4am.
Tim,
As a new innkeeper and a friend of GillumHouse's for 3 years, and as a fan of diversity, I'd like to say that I'd hoped better of you. GH does not run a B&B in a tourist "destination" but has chosen to build up her town's tourism over a period of many years. She has built up a clientele of "horse people" who often prefer to be out and about early. If she didn't accommodate particular needs of visitors to her region she would have fewer bookings than she does. She personally has contributed greatly to the way her state legislature regulates B&B's to the benefit of all the B&B's in her state, particularly the smaller ones. As the owner and sole person working at my B&B, I can relate better to her approach to guest relations. My town is in the "rust belt" with fewer business travellers (fewer businesses now than even a year ago) and no mountains seashores or other natural wonders to attract tourists, so I offer as much flexibility as I can for the comfort of my guests.
Although I would be hard pressed to have breakfast ready at 4:30 am, I certainly would not think it ludicrous to do so. I have learned much from innkeepers with large inns, and certainly don't criticize the policies they use to deal with their larger establishments... It is difficult to understand the "tone of voice" in postings, and you may be too quick to take offense at what has been said

Tim,
You're acting as rude and condescending as the many guests you've written about on this forum. GH has paid her dues in this industry, and can and should run her business the way she wants and the way that works for her. Personal slams are not necessary. Because someone's inn is not as big/busy/different than yours doesn't mean their experience is less valuable.
You've definitely stirred some conversations up since you've become a member and personally, I find that a good thing. One can disagree with the policies and business practices of another innkeeper, but please state those opinions in a professional, not condescending way.

personally, I say "Bless her heart" for offering breakfast from 4 am - 10 am. I certainly have no interest in doing that! That does not mean that my inn is better or worse than hers, just different.

PITA trophy, interesting concept. It could be passed around.
Kathleen you are indeed one of the most interesting and effective members of this forum. I realize many are holding back responding so it does not appear to be a gang mentality, I am sure this paragraph will appear in quotes shortly. Do not be dismayed, you of all people do not need anyone to defend yourself, we appreciate you for who you are. The rest is gravy as they say...

You are all right and I was way out of line for hitting below the belt like that. I can take my medicine and try harder to be remember we're all in the line of work with most of us facing the same kinds of issues and challenges.
I guess I created my own self-fulfilling prophecy by planting seed for the response I got from GH by my sacrcastic lead in that she needn't pipe in out of inexperience with the issue.
The question I keep coming back to with the handful of members who just can't seem to ever resist the contrarian position to whatever some folks post around here, is "If you can't answer the question, or can't resist the auto-contrarian response, can't you just leave it alone?"
Or maybe weigh in any one of the other thousands of topics open here?

You are all right and I was way out of line for hitting below the belt like that. I can take my medicine and try harder to be remember we're all in the line of work with most of us facing the same kinds of issues and challenges.
I guess I created my own self-fulfilling prophecy by planting seed for the response I got from GH by my sacrcastic lead in that she needn't pipe in out of inexperience with the issue.
The question I keep coming back to with the handful of members who just can't seem to ever resist the contrarian position to whatever some folks post around here, is "If you can't answer the question, or can't resist the auto-contrarian response, can't you just leave it alone?"
Or maybe weigh in any one of the other thousands of topics open here?.
Thank you all who replied to the issue of my open calendar that, sorry Toad, was a snarky comment. It may look empty now, but it does fill up as much as I can handle in addition to the other things I do. My husband is disabled so I am also doing much that a traditional DH would do plus playing Steppin' Fetchit to him. As City Clerk I have duties with the City, as Exec Dir of our State Rails-to-Trails Council (volunteer) I have other duties - e-mails, calls, conferences, etc and spent 2 days each ot the last two years contacting the Legislature to help kill bad trail legislation, as President of the Council of Churches in this area I coordinate things with the churches, as President of the Garden Club I am in the process of steering a bunch of old ladies toward good fiscal management - the Club inherited a huge amount of money that I am trying to keep from being puked away. I also serve on several Commissions for the City as well as (unpaid) Visitor Information Center. I say this not to "pin a rose on you" attitude but to tell you that I block all my rooms at times for Conferences and out-of-town commitments for my volunteer stuff. March & April were killers on my revenue stream because of that. So do not assume that an innkeeper does not know about something because there is not a lot of bookings showing on the calendar. I get a lot of one or two week out bookings although this year my July was booked pretty full by the end of Feb. In fact the July 19 booking was made for them because they could not have the room they wanted on the date they wanted.
The fact I am still open is the amazing thing because I have had to create a reason for people to come here - and they do come back. Since I opened my doors, I would not hesitate to say over 1000 hotel rooms have opened along the I-79 corridor and Margantown to help siphon guests from me. Looks can be deceiving, Sir. I do thank you however for me finding out the regard the innmates had for me. I had no idea.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I think this is a great ammenity that she offers which most of us would not be willing to offer. She is accomodating her guests.

If you think about it, it's not really a 6 hour window if at most only 1 or 2 of her rooms have guests at any one time. She's simply serving breakfast for 1 or 2 sittings. This isn't a restaurant where she opens at 4 and closes up at 10.

Thank you all who replied to the issue of my open calendar that, sorry Toad, was a snarky comment. It may look empty now, but it does fill up as much as I can handle in addition to the other things I do. My husband is disabled so I am also doing much that a traditional DH would do plus playing Steppin' Fetchit to him. As City Clerk I have duties with the City, as Exec Dir of our State Rails-to-Trails Council (volunteer) I have other duties - e-mails, calls, conferences, etc and spent 2 days each ot the last two years contacting the Legislature to help kill bad trail legislation, as President of the Council of Churches in this area I coordinate things with the churches, as President of the Garden Club I am in the process of steering a bunch of old ladies toward good fiscal management - the Club inherited a huge amount of money that I am trying to keep from being puked away. I also serve on several Commissions for the City as well as (unpaid) Visitor Information Center. I say this not to "pin a rose on you" attitude but to tell you that I block all my rooms at times for Conferences and out-of-town commitments for my volunteer stuff. March & April were killers on my revenue stream because of that. So do not assume that an innkeeper does not know about something because there is not a lot of bookings showing on the calendar. I get a lot of one or two week out bookings although this year my July was booked pretty full by the end of Feb. In fact the July 19 booking was made for them because they could not have the room they wanted on the date they wanted.
The fact I am still open is the amazing thing because I have had to create a reason for people to come here - and they do come back. Since I opened my doors, I would not hesitate to say over 1000 hotel rooms have opened along the I-79 corridor and Margantown to help siphon guests from me. Looks can be deceiving, Sir. I do thank you however for me finding out the regard the innmates had for me. I had no idea.
GH I am exhausted just reading what you do and have admiration for you for a while now.
Tim it takes a big person to admit and to apologize, so many have just bailed after being put back in their place. Thanks for being a big person.
Regarding you original post, I have only experienced this a few times and have tried many ways to deal with it. Some just knocking and reminding does the trick, others it takes more and have called the room. I have NEVER had to go this far, but DH did think of a few things when he renovated (and why I married him). He has each room on a separate circuit and also can cut off the water. If they won't get the hint with that, I'll call the sheriff.

If you think about it, it's not really a 6 hour window if at most only 1 or 2 of her rooms have guests at any one time. She's simply serving breakfast for 1 or 2 sittings. This isn't a restaurant where she opens at 4 and closes up at 10..
Wrong - I have 3 rooms and have had 3 different breakfast times. The Sunday morning breakfast is the hairy one because I do Chapel duty from Midnight until 1 AM and if I have a breakfast at 6:30 as I did a couple weeks ago.... Wednesday I have horses coming in again.
No, I am not a restaurant but I DO do dinner packages. I do not kow what time I am serving breakfast yet, but I will also be packing them a lunch and this morning she added a dinner - so tomorrow will be spent in the kitchen until whenever. Right now I have to go take down laundry and get the parsley and sage for the herb bread for the sandwiches. They will have turkey with provolone and my special topping (turkey is such a "dead meat", no flavor) on my herb bread.

Time Toad HLB said:
Now, Joe, GillumHouse, catlady, etc. who have never had a untoward or bad guest in their homes, you can skip advice on this one due to inexperience.
Please refrain from this kind of baiting. It serves no purpose other than to spread bad feelings and ilicit a response. Like I said when you first landed here, if you aren't interested in a variety of opinions, don't post questions or answers. If you don't value the opinions of certain members, I suggest using the "ignore user" button until you only see the answers you want to see.
So far you have accused people on the forum of being passive aggressive..then you apologised...then you classified people as auto-contrarian..and then went on to be quite contrarian to Gillumhouse and then issued another apology. It would probably be best if you stopped trying to diagnose the ills of everyone on the forum. That's not going to end well.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Or maybe weigh in any one of the other thousands of topics open here?
Geez....everyone just take a deep breath here. This is supposed to be a "safe" place to vent. Each and everyone of us here has a different way of doing things and each of us has a personality that is reflected in the way we do them. Kathleen is obviously a nurturer and a sweet person. This comes across in the way she handles situations. IF she is content with the results of her guest handling, then great! This is not a character flaw, it's her way of handling it.
IF, however, she's not happy with the situation, then it would help everyone here, especially those wanting help, if some of you would quit being so thin skinned and attacking anyone who critsizes one of the beloved of the forum. Maybe Tim did not express himself the way you think he should, but you create a hostile environment so that everyone is afraid to say anything.

Back