Entering a contest or competition

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Can you tell me what sort of contests you can think of to enter as a kid?
4-H (can't raise any sheep, I know they have other stuff tho)
Any ideas from your past of competitions or fairs or something somewhere you have entered something and got a ribbon.
Anything, far out or not. THANKS!

Theme closing, egg walk, potato bag hop, kids are easy.
Unless you want to go big, like if you are on the river, biggest fish.
Have you googled it?

this might not be what you are looking for .... but ... hat making ...
we were given paper shopping bags ... scrunch up the bag and fold down the top to make a brim. srunch it more to fit on your head. given paper flowers, bits of cloth and ribbons and such ... gathered up acorns and things and glued or wired them to the bag to make our hat.
awards for best and silliest and prettiest ... you name it ... all could 'win' a prize.

your kids should join 4-H. Hundreds of different projects to choose from. They would be very good at it!!! 4- H is not just COWS & COOKING!!!!

Music competitions! That is right up their alley :)
We used to have Fishing Derbys in a couple of places we've lived & they just had one here.
Used to be things through the local library & YMCA.

Photography.
Sewing.
Flower arranging.
Veggies. (Grow 'em and stick 'em on a plate.)
Jams & jellies.
Cake decorating.

your kids should join 4-H. Hundreds of different projects to choose from. They would be very good at it!!! 4- H is not just COWS & COOKING!!!!.
catlady said:
your kids should join 4-H. Hundreds of different projects to choose from. They would be very good at it!!! 4- H is not just COWS & COOKING!!!!
Youngest spent a week at 4-H camp kayaking, archery, dairy, all sorts of stuff.

4-H... lots of projects available.
Girl Scouts ... lots of badges available, plus troops and regional groups (forget what they're called) will have baking competions, etc.
County Fair... ours has a junior division for baking, as well as photography, artwork, and collections. (Our Fair has a collection competition... I love it! People bring and display their collections, it's very cool. Kids compete separate from adults.)
Science Fair / State Science Day
Spelling Bee / National Spelling Bee
Music (I forget what it was called but I did it every year when I was growing up in public school. We just called it "Contest.")
Swimming (Y or Red Cross)
Local Competitions (Malabar Farm State Park had a Youth day today complete with pie eating and watermelon seed spitting contests, among others)
=)
Kk.

I loved 4-H! I did sewing and cooking projects but there were also demonstration contests and speech and essay contests. I credit the demonstration contests for knowing how to do a demonstration on TV for publicity for my B & B. We taped a radio show (and this was back in the days of reel to reel) for 4-H week and I heard my own voice for the first time - boy did that sound weird! But it made me comfortable with a microphone and doing public speaking. We also had a 4-H Fair every year for ribbons.
In band we went to Solo & Ensemble Contest and we also had Academic Competitions at a regional level in English, Math, History, and probably the sciences - I competed in English & History.
As an adult I have entered ans won in photography, bread, and cake decorating categories.

4 H girl here. A lot of what I am able to do I learned in 4 H. Piano lessons, gave me ins that other kids my age did not have. Played piano in Rainbow, played for Church and Sunday School, played in grade school, played before drama presentations. All of the above gave me confidence in myself also. Is this what you mean?

Back